Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,585 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Am I Really A Bad Son? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Really A Bad Son? (41072 Views)

Is Preserving A Marriage For The Sake Of The Children A Bad Idea? / Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? / A Friend Wants Me To Lend Him Money. I Told Him To Fill A Form. Am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by blackjah(m): 9:58pm On Nov 14, 2016
YES YOU ARE
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by profmsboi(m): 10:00pm On Nov 14, 2016
I feel sorry for you bro....

No worry, you go make am, we all go make am by God grace

MashaAllah..... Amen

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by SailorXY: 10:01pm On Nov 14, 2016
This guy's parents need to rethink or they lose this guy totally.
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:02pm On Nov 14, 2016
FriedYam I am so sorry about what you are going through. Do send me a PM, I have someone who I know may be a good mentor for you. Those suicidal tendencies you mentioned, scare me and you may be suffering from depression. Take heart...there is a rainbow after every dark cloud.

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by ceda99: 10:03pm On Nov 14, 2016
Your village people are really working wonders

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by wellmax(m): 10:03pm On Nov 14, 2016
This guy needs help. Please let's take him seriously with good advice. I suggest you talk to someone your father respects. In fact, just give them link to this thread and tell them you wrote it.
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by beautiful232(f): 10:03pm On Nov 14, 2016
sorry my dear...same thing happened to my friend tho
but don't feel bad bout yourself ok
Just try to see if you can change from it...
as for your parents..I don't think they are doing you good at all....
pele
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Nemesis99(m): 10:04pm On Nov 14, 2016
Concerning your imposed course, i think you should let your parents know how you feel about art. Its gonna be hard to convince them but bro try as hard as you can. My dad forced me to become a science student in secondary school and till this very moment, i am a dummie in anything science. But i was too scared to make him understand and thats why at 27 i am still in 200lvl.

Concerning masturbation,

talk to your mum about whats goin on cuz i believe mums shld be every child's best friend (confidant). You are too young to deal with this on your own bro.

Dont be scared to talk to your mum. Took me a very long time to understand how mums are so important to a child's development.......

By the way, i sense you are a very bright kid and you shldnt let some other person's will become yours (not even your parents)......
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Ourown(m): 10:04pm On Nov 14, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:
I like you for being real. We all have challenges some of which are unshareable. But in your case, youll get over it with time. They're all challenges peculiar to ur stage of life some are going thru tougher ones. You don't want to be an orphan house help to an unknown intolerant family. Some of your mate are going thru that right now because they lost their parents and were thrown outta of their fathers house by relatives

So encourage yourself boi. No challenge is worth making you a gangstar. If you yield and become one, it means the challenges overcame you. You should rather overcome it so you'll use your experience to father your children and husband your wife in future.

Well said.... I salute your intelligent

Op, Admission is the solution to your problems. Once you secure admission to your preferred institution and course. Your parent will respect you and see you no more as a kid.

Study harder and hit the top.

Also prayer is the key. .. . Don't forget
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by westive21(m): 10:07pm On Nov 14, 2016
i have nothing to say
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Karleb(m): 10:08pm On Nov 14, 2016
The next time they give you money for Jamb, if you choose a course other than Law will they kill you?

If no, then try it for once.
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by lanicky(f): 10:12pm On Nov 14, 2016
I feel for you OP... embarassed

Accept that we don't choose our parents.
I know how painful it can be, but it is not your fault.
You don't have to put the blame on yourself or contemplate on committing suicide.
Suicide is not the best option here....
People often turn to suicide because they are seeking relief from pain. Remember that relief is a feeling. And you have to be alive to feel it. You will not feel the relief you so desperately seek, if you are dead.

Try to speak with your mum.. Although she might seem as tough as dad, but believe me she's just not as tough as you think.
Talk to her.. Be sober when you do so... Let her feel your pain... Tell her all your worries, she might eventually convince dad to support you emotionally.

Be a man.. Think and act like a man would.
You don't have to live your life according to your parents' plan... It's your life nor theirs.
Fight for your freedom. You don't have to study law.. Let them know you have no passion for it.

Look around you for good men or women.. A family member or family friend... who could become a father figure or mother figure to you. Beg to speak to your parents on your behalf... Let them know what you've been passing through... Since they are more experienced than you, they'll know how to speak with your parents.

Surround yourself with people who care about you and your feelings. It may not necessarily be offline...cos they might not want you to hang out with people in your neighborhood.... You can find nice nd intelligent people on social media.

Work hard at pleasing yourself in life. You want to have an industry of your own...then work hard at your grades.

Stay strong...may God help you. embarassed
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Zoehill(m): 10:17pm On Nov 14, 2016
Lil Bro, I feel your pain mind you your parents love you dearly but their approach is due to the societal ills they see daily, as a parent am scared for the coming children. What you need to do is to be more useful for your Mum at home for the chores, let her feel your presence within the house. Concerning your Dad be more respectful to every one in the house, he will see the change in you & respect your wishes. In your spare time , convert your thought to physical body exercises, make push ups, sit ups your and the ones you can do within the house your hobbies.
Best of luck
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by grandstar(m): 10:18pm On Nov 14, 2016
Always remember to honour your father and mother even though they are not perfect.

They want the best for you and that's why they are being very strict with you (Psalms 19:11). Most single sons tend to be spoilt and self centred. I suspect your parents especially your dad does not want you to go down that route.

However, he should engaged you in discussion and not simply assume the worst.

It's best you open up to them how you feel. First open up to them about the abuse you faced at an early age. Tell them why you didn't open up to them. That they will simply jump to conclusion and that's why you never open up to them. That you don't feel free with them.

Ask them if you're free to bring gproblems yo them. Ask in the alternative can you seek advise outside? Try and make them see the damage ther causing.

About your university admission, are you keen on law? If not tell your dad so and apply for a course that pleases you. At times just being a graduate in any course with a very good grade will give you a job. You don't need to have read banking and finance or accounting to work in a bank. Fear is that he may refuse to pay your fees.

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by BIDOO(m): 10:19pm On Nov 14, 2016
FriedYam:
about friends.

I move with responsible friends as I'm quick to sieve out bad ones.

My friend have style. They dress nice, barb stylish cuts like low layers nd low cut.

My parents use hairstyle to judge my friends. If the haircut is high, the guy is a smoker, rapist, cultist and whatever, just name it. Even the ones with low cut don't escape. I grew up practically locked inside the house till now. I'm given no room to talk to anyone outside.

Dad saw a junior of mine from the school i finished from. The dude was only informing me of their upcoming inter-house sports at school nd was inviting me. I was called inside the house and welcomed with punches nd slaps from dad who was a former karate guru. Why? because the boy usually ddnt greet him. I was punched to stupour.

Now, they think I smoke weed..... They are even convinced that I do. I gave a barber money to help me mix stuffs that'll help hair that was thinning. The man mixed weed in it. I applied it nd it worked. Mum found out nd now I'm a chain smoker... She's told dad nd they both think i'm a smoker cos i sumtimes react angrilly due to the irritation from the fact that i'm still home when my friend are in school. The call it the effect of weed.

Why am i telling nl? I don't know. I've got no one to talk to.
I'm amidst my fam but feel like an outcast.

Tis is just a tip of what I'm going tru
the only difference between you and i is that i have the choice to go for any course of my choice, the frustration is unbearable, but one thing i hold unto is that success does not come from success but failure. So keep the head up bro, the battle is almost over...... Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by PissedOffWeed(m): 10:21pm On Nov 14, 2016
FriedYam:
Good evening Nlers.
I'm a eighteen year old. From a family of five. The only son with extra strict parents. A lot has been happening right from my childhood down till now and my parents are of the view that I'm an apology.

I wasn't the brightest in school. I'm above average nd particularly led my class in my core subjects. I wrote my wassce in 2014. I cleared my papers except math nd literature. Agreed. I'm a dumbo at math but literature.... All students failed because a classmate was caught with a phone. Thus, I became the first in my family to fail o'level.

I registered for neco gce nd failed even more cos there was high expo there. My jamb score was 223 that yr for an imposed course, Law.

2015,i registered neco again at a school known for expo. However, before the expo was brought into the hall, I would have answered all my questions nd was only helped in maths. They called me a textbook in the school. I had B's all through but my father thinks it was expo that helped me. At 2015 , my jamb score was 257. U.I f'd me up. Law again.
...his yr, jamb did the unthinkable. After popping coffee all night to study nd reading all day to the extent that i lost weight, i had 212. Y'all know how jamb was. Now I ddnt gain admission for law.... I'm being blamed now for jambs incompetence.

A who bunch of other things relating to education where i've been gravely misunderstood are untold.

But, that's just abt education.
Whatsapp me via +2348096999012
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Kaycee18: 10:22pm On Nov 14, 2016
mosho2good:
Yes u are a bad son just go to sambisa forest to reset and tell the Boko Haram commander to rest ur memory
if some people don't post rubbish they won't rest. Don't comment if you have nothing nice to say.

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 14, 2016
I feel for you I must say. I'd advise you reach out to anyone who is very close to either of your parents or to both of them and whom they'd give a listening ear; that may be your pastor/imam, aunt, uncle, grand parent or even a close family friend. Explain everything to him/her, tell him you don't want to do Law and that he should please help you talk to your parents for them to understand you. Most lawyers are poor by the way, I'd rather you go for English Studies or Theatre Arts being art oriented. You may try Accounting, Economics or Banking & Finance to impress your parents.
Never you think of suicide as an option I beg of you...never ever. I pray you overcome this
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Emodeee: 10:27pm On Nov 14, 2016
lanicky:

miss nairaland sef dey book spacecheesy. you suppose get your own reservation for every thread.

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by SaintMorris: 10:27pm On Nov 14, 2016
FriedYam:
about friends.

I move with responsible friends as I'm quick to sieve out bad ones.

My friend have style. They dress nice, barb stylish cuts like low layers nd low cut.

My parents use hairstyle to judge my friends. If the haircut is high, the guy is a smoker, rapist, cultist and whatever, just name it. Even the ones with low cut don't escape. I grew up practically locked inside the house till now. I'm given no room to talk to anyone outside.

Dad saw a junior of mine from the school i finished from. The dude was only informing me of their upcoming inter-house sports at school nd was inviting me. I was called inside the house and welcomed with punches nd slaps from dad who was a former karate guru. Why? because the boy usually ddnt greet him. I was punched to stupour.

Now, they think I smoke weed..... They are even convinced that I do. I gave a barber money to help me mix stuffs that'll help hair that was thinning. The man mixed weed in it. I applied it nd it worked. Mum found out nd now I'm a chain smoker... She's told dad nd they both think i'm a smoker cos i sumtimes react angrilly due to the irritation from the fact that i'm still home when my friend are in school. The call it the effect of weed.

Why am i telling nl? I don't know. I've got no one to talk to.
I'm amidst my fam but feel like an outcast.

Tis is just a tip of what I'm going tru
Find a gun and shoot all of them

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by BIDOO(m): 10:27pm On Nov 14, 2016
As for Jamb, why can't you use your 257 score? JAMB is now valid for a number of years. Please find out when that law took effect to see if your 257 can be used for the next admission cycle. Forget what your father is saying about that score. You are the one sitting at home, not him. If he doesn't want to help you process admission on the score, you find money and attempt the processing yourself. You are a man at 18
[/quote]
This policy has been reversed, no longer effective, it was review by oloyede the new registrar of jamb, he said it would do more harm than good to our education sector.
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 14, 2016
my friend. Never loose believe in yourself
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 14, 2016
blackjah:
YES YOU ARE

You think it's a joke?
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by being(m): 10:34pm On Nov 14, 2016
Fried Yam!! Interesting name. I'm happy u ve not turned into rebellion despite ur parents' concept of discipline. U genuinely think sex is wrong for u. And that's cool. Your parents of course love u and want u to turn out d best u can. R u d first born? Like someone said, u need to get into school asap study well for ur next attempt. Also, never give into to rebellion- dose things ur parents accuse u of doing r actually really bad- weed is like pressing self destruct on ursef and its ur lyf. If ur life spoils, u bear d brunt most. They will b sad but u bear the consequences even after they are gone. U can pm me.

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by oyinD1: 10:35pm On Nov 14, 2016
Friedyam:

Your story really stood out to me because honestly life could feel like a burden sometimes especially when you are supposed to be somewhere careerwise, schoolwise, family wise but you are yet to get there.

However, here is my candid advice:

First, you need your family: your mum and dad to be precise. How? When the atmosphere in your home is calm take your time tell them you really want to speak to them from the depth of your heart.Correct those misperceptions they have about you.Trust me this would not be achieved in one day you have to decide what to tell them first from the most important to other trivial ones one day at a time.

Why is this important? Nobody is your biggest cheerleader than your parents.Trust me, they are locking you indoors because in their own mind they believe they are trying to protect you from yourself and probably the world. THEY ARE DOING THIS BECAUSE THEY LOVE YOU.

However, to enable them show confidence in you. You need to open up to them more.

Second, when speaking to your parents speak respectfully so they listen to you.Studies have shown that individuals (more so people who love you )have the tendency to listen more when they believe they are been respected. I know it could be frustrating sometimes to you that you don't have a voice but try this ,as practice makes perfect plus I understand how you feel because I have been there.

Third, you know your family structure more than anybody on this forum. Maybe yours is a close-nit family where everybody is close or just otherwise. YOU KNOW YOUR FAMILY BETTER.

What is my point? Be able to understand when to approach issues with your parents and state your points without getting angry. It is difficult but try. Let your dad understand that you prefer Art over Law because of A, B and C be highly coherent when talking to your dad. Be confident while talking to him.Gradually, this would start to work for you.

Last, you know in Naija Job market and School market self na Maths sure pass. I was just like you I didn't have a particular affection for math that much but I had to tell myself the truth. Go back to your secondary school JSS 1 math textbook if you have to and you realize in fact math is one of the most beautiful subject. It worked for me I hope it does for you.

You are still young, don't waste away by being angry and depressed. It would get you nowhere and you know the IDLE MIND IS ALWAYS THE DEVILS WORKSHOP.

CHALLENGE YOURSELF MENTALLY and get going cauz life waits for no one.

Peace, I stop now.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by lifah(m): 10:36pm On Nov 14, 2016
hi friend...i guess we are in desame shoe or mine is worse.i'm a graduate...still face strictness from my mum....but u know wat....just keep calm walk on your tolerance and avoid crappy taughts from ruining future....tell yoyt self about freedom and anticipate it...you gonna thank your self later....mine is hard i haven't received any female guest in my house...my mum is super hard she takes no chance for a joke....but i moved on did all things required done...and gonna be free next year...cuz i aint coming back yo live with them[color=]hi friend...i guess we are in desame shoe or mine is worse.i'm a graduate...still face strictness from my mum....but u know wat....just keep calm walk on your tolerance and avoid crappy taughts from ruining future....tell yoyt self about freedom and anticipate it...you gonna thank your self later....mine is hard i haven't received any female guest in my house...my mum is super hard she takes no chance for a joke....but i moved on did all things required done...and gonna be free next year...cuz i aint coming back yo live with them[/color]hi friend...i guess we are in desame shoe or mine is worse.i'm a graduate...still face strictness from my mum....but u know wat....just keep calm walk on your tolerance and avoid crappy taughts from ruining future....tell yoyt self about freedom and anticipate it...you gonna thank your self later....mine is hard i haven't received any female guest in my house...my mum is super hard she takes no chance for a joke....but i moved on did all things required done...and gonna be free next year...cuz i aint coming back yo live with them

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 14, 2016
Bro, I swear, most of these you mentioned happened to me, when I graduated, I could not even talk to my neighbors daughter cause my mum thinks I'm sleeping with her, I remember one Time my dad came to my room when I was asleep to cut my hair cause he thought I have joined gang grin, since you can't start working now, just register for a lower course and you'll gain admission ASAP, I stayed at home for four years cause I wanted to study mass comm in unn but I was bleeped by them the whole time I applied, I'd suggest you just be patient with them till you gain admission and you'll see everything will change with time... and I also want to suggest you try another school, I wanted to die of HBP cause of UNN,
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by ademola1333(m): 10:38pm On Nov 14, 2016
1. Nothing will change until you gain admission. So you have to work real real hard.
2. DON'T ever think of commiting suicide again in your life.
3. Download these books on Playstore and read: As A Man Thinketh and 200 Secrets of Success.
4. Friends your parents don't want to see with you, tell them not to visit you that you will be the one to be visiting them.
5. Be religious! As this may help to redeem how your parents see you.
6. Always obey your parents!
7. No matter the outcome, DON'T ever think of committing suicide and never find solace in drugs and liquor.

Heed to all this and you will live a positive life!

4 Likes

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 14, 2016
oyinD1:
Friedyam:

Your story really stood out to me because honestly life could feel like a burden sometimes especially when you are supposed to be somewhere careerwise, schoolwise, family wise but you are yet to get there.

However, here is my candid advice:

First, you need your family: your mum and dad to be precise. How? When the atmosphere in your home is calm take your time tell them you really want to speak to them from the depth of your heart.Correct those misperceptions they have about you.Trust me this would not be achieved in one day you have to decide what to tell them first from the most important to other trivial ones one day at a time.

Why is this important? Nobody is your biggest cheerleader than your parents.Trust me, they are locking you indoors because in their own mind they believe they are trying to protect you from yourself and probably the world. THEY ARE DOING THIS BECAUSE THEY LOVE YOU.

However, to enable them show confidence in you. You need to open up to them more.

Second, when speaking to your parents speak respectfully so they listen to you.Studies have shown that individuals (more so people who love you )have the tendency to listen more when they believe they are been respected. I know it could be frustrating sometimes to you that you don't have a voice but try this ,as practice makes perfect plus I understand how you feel because I have been there.

Third, you know your family structure more than anybody on this forum. Maybe yours is a close-nit family where everybody is close or just otherwise. YOU KNOW YOUR FAMILY BETTER.

What is my point? Be able to understand when to approach issues with your parents and state your points without getting angry. It is difficult but try. Let your dad understand that you prefer Art over Law because of A, B and C be highly coherent when talking to your dad. Be confident while talking to him.Gradually, this would start to work for you.

Last, you know in Naija Job market and School market self na Maths sure pass. I was just like you I didn't have a particular affection for math that much but I had to tell myself the truth. Go back to your secondary school JSS 1 math textbook if you have to and you realize in fact math is one of the most beautiful subject. It worked for me I hope it does for you.

You are still young, don't waste away by being angry and depressed. It would get you nowhere and you know the IDLE MIND IS ALWAYS THE DEVILS WORKSHOP.

CHALLENGE YOURSELF MENTALLY and get going cauz life waits for no one.

Peace, I stop now.

Seriously, I tried to do that once with my family, instead they used it against me, every time I make a little mistake, they reminded me what I said like everyone must be perfect but everything changed when I started school grin, I'd suggest he just be patient with them till he starts school, for now, I don't think he has much options, as I could remember I even wanted to run from home at a time but now I just laugh at those thoughts

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Elxandre(m): 10:46pm On Nov 14, 2016
baby124:
Why do you keep going to centers known for Expo? You see where you are self sabotaging? If maths is your challenge, sit down and work it. Maths is not hard at all, we just have very bad teachers in Nigeria. They do not know how to teach, neither do they know the fundamentals of what they are teaching. And they like to scare students with ridiculous scoring techniques to cover up their incompetence.

As for Jamb, why can't you use your 257 score? JAMB is now valid for a number of years. Please find out when that law took effect to see if your 257 can be used for the next admission cycle. Forget what your father is saying about that score. You are the one sitting at home, not him. If he doesn't want to help you process admission on the score, you find money and attempt the processing yourself. You are a man at 18.

Please and please, do not let any words put you down. Nigerian parents think being abusive towards their kids is constructive criticism. It's not. You are frustrated which is to be expected. So you need to help yourself. Let go of the frustration and all the harsh words and get to work. Don't wait till last minute to study for JAMB. You don't need to pull all nighter for JAMB if you prepare over a good amount of time.

If law is where you see yourself you will make it in. All these failures are a set up for your future study habits. With the way you study last minute and rely on expo, you will have failed in Uni. Change your study habit and commit to 3hrs daily at least 6months to JAMB. Also try to find something to do to occupy and develop your mind outside of your study time. Something positive like learning a trade.

Believe in yourself, not what your parents, friends and strangers believe you to be. Ask yourself who you want to be and what you want to be. Then work hard to make that possible. Zone out all the noise.
I doubt you read the write up at all!

He did his jamb last year by himself and scored 257, but jamb sabotaged him this year, and he had 212.

Anyways, note that the proposed 3 years validity is mostly still a proposal.
Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by condomuser: 10:48pm On Nov 14, 2016
If u keep masturbating, one day you will EJACULATEE your brain cells undecided

1 Like

Re: Am I Really A Bad Son? by Collins0609(m): 10:49pm On Nov 14, 2016
Seconded,the moment u atart working,and paying for ur needs,ur parents will respect u.as for ur mum,dats women 4 u,always attacking men psychologically to get them to do thier wish.they will fight u and may threaten not to finance ur higher education,here u have to stand up to dem and stick to ur job,dont mind how dirty it can b.
Get out from d house and b a man
RaphaellaDD:
My candid opinion:
1) Don't live your life for anyone. Regret is an evil witch!!! If art is your passion go for it. Your parents are probably not going to be around in the next 50 years and that's when you'll realize that they lived your life for you!!!

2) Get a grip of your emotions. Find what makes and keeps you happy and bury yourself in it when wahala starts. Depression is the younger sister to regret. People will always have their own opinions about you, if you let that dictate your happiness, you're doomed!!

3) Find something to get you out of the house and keep you busy. A job,whatever. Start earning your own money,start being independent in the little ways you can. It'll definitely make you feel better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Married Men, Please What Exactly Are You Enjoying In Your Marriage? / Married To Mum Of 2 But The Babies Dad Choose To Neglect Responsibilities. / How Can I Stop Helping My Cousin Without Feeling Guilty About Her Kids?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.