Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport (17806 Views)

Fashola Approves Construction Of 70 Roads. / NSUK: Jonathan Approves Construction Of Boreholes / FG Approves Construction Of A City In Abuja As Venue For Nigeria @100 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by agor1974: 4:17pm On Nov 04, 2009
its better for every state in Nigeria to have their own airport,period,so as to stop the envy of other peoples development.after all if true federalism is practiced every state will own airport to increase their internal revenue.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by koolchicco: 4:19pm On Nov 04, 2009
agor1974:

its better for every state in Nigeria to have their own airport,period,so as to stop the envy of other peoples development.after all if true federalism is practiced every state will own airport to increase their internal revenue.

God Bless you, Bros!
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by mekuslogan: 4:20pm On Nov 04, 2009
People,

Actually this airport project has been in the pipeline even before the commencement of the ASABA and Uyo ones. The delay for approval by the FGN again reminds one of the determination of the FGN to strangulate anything Igbo. Otherwise the airport may have probably been completed by now. That said, it is ok to have as many airports as possible. Orient petroleum is exploiting the huge oil and gas reserves in Anambra and this is a completely Nigerian company that would need the airort for its activities. And yes, there is also an airport in Imo which was built by the
Old Imo people with no input from the fed govt.

Read the article below

After a long wait by Anambra State, the Federal Ministry of Aviation has finally given approval for the establishment of an airport which is to be located around the operational area of Orient Petroleum in the state.

The state’s Commissioner for Information and Culture, Majah Umeh, who broke the news in Awka on Tuesday evening, said the airport is to be located at Ifite Umueri in Anambra East Local Council Area.

Umeh, who briefed the press on the outcome of the state’s Executive Council (exco) meeting, said what now is left for the state, is the acquisition of land to enable work begin immediately on the project.

Though the airport which when completed will serve as a cargo airport is to be established in conjunction with Orient Petroleum, Umeh said the state government is committed to fulfilling due process and all the requirements of the Ministry of Aviation for the establishment of airport.

His words: “We have gone through all tests and they have given approval for the construction of an airport that will be sited at Ifite-Umueri in Anambra East Local Government and Anambra State people are happy about it.”

He also said the state is celebrating the feat achieved by its contingent to the national schools’ sports competition held in Abeokuta, where the state came 7th with 78 medals, consisting 14 gold medals, 16 silver medals and 48 bronze medals.

He said the success is as result of the state investment in sport
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:20pm On Nov 04, 2009
all this airport talk.
Nigeria needs to first upgrade their existing airports before talking of building one in every state.
unless each state wants to provide their own airport.
all this airport talk.
do airports really cause envy? i wonder oooo
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by OvieE: 4:23pm On Nov 04, 2009
I cannot wait to see the airport. Maybe it will look like Akure Ibom airport, like house. Building an airport in any place in Nigeria is OK as long as the airport look standard not those small airports without terminals. Is just that our leaders are not learning that is the problem. Standard airports with terminals plus two to three runways and with lights everywhere. But what happen to existing and dieing airports in Nigeria that planes bearly go there before talking about building another ones?  But lets see how it will look like and many plane that will go there.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Ben13: 4:31pm On Nov 04, 2009
When Roads Are Still Terribly Bad. . . Naija Is Too Funny sad
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by manny4life(m): 4:31pm On Nov 04, 2009
I agree that they need an airport in Anambra state, at least when we come home, no need to go through Enugu and then come through Nnewi, besides Nnewi people, most industrious people in Anambra state need a cargo airport to move thier goods faster from local/overseeas. I just hope the airport is standard.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by mrperfect(m): 4:38pm On Nov 04, 2009
I think this is welcome development, because this state need this than any other state because of huge business activities in that state.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Johnpaul2k2(m): 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2009
If this airport works(when i see work going),it means dat anambra state is now effective n ready to be the next dubai.anambra which has d greatest business in africa suppose 2 hav atleast 5 airport n 2 seaport because of its activities n needs 24 hours uninterrupted transaction. What we(anambra) need is government attention n intervention to enable us,anambrians maintain our globa icon[color=][/color][color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by OvieE: 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2009
mrperfect:

I think this is welcome development, because this state need this than any other state because of huge business activities in that state.

What kind of business. The kidnapping or the state that lead in arm robbers. Ohhhh, I think is both.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by selingel: 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2009
queenesthr:

Which cheap drug are you taking?
Do you know the volume of Cargo that comes into Anambra State on a daily bases?
Do you know the amount of risk Anambra business men have to take to transport their goods into Onitsha  because there is no airport in Anambra state?
Wake up from your own sleep first.

Now I know there some educated fools around. I dont blame this gay!
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by chosen04(f): 4:51pm On Nov 04, 2009
mrperfect:

Gbam. You can say it again
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by gongoaso1: 4:52pm On Nov 04, 2009
so hard to satisfy Nigerians
build airport, they refer to existing ones and whine.
don't build, the Government is not thinking about the future  undecided

Not only Anambra, but an airport is needed in every state to open up the hinterlands to rapid development.
I'm sick of naysayers already complaining about maintenance of a structure even before its built.

Yeah other transportation means like railways are yet to be exploited to a full potential.
Roads are still bad. But is it a crime to think of the future?
If Nigerians had this naysaying mentality 40 years ago, would any airport have been built till date  

It's all in the head.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by saintneo(m): 4:52pm On Nov 04, 2009
@"Protestants"

It has being a dream to build an airport in Anambra state - long before I wrote my common entrance exams (i.e before the division of the old anambra state). However, there were lots kickbacks against the project especially by Transport Companies(Luxury Bus companies).

With this new development, I believe the liberation of markets in Nigeria will increase, more people will work towards earning their living via a competitive market, it will promote more exports and thus creating an international image for business for Nigeria.

Furthermore, from a business perspective, one cargo airport in SE is not enough for our business; the cargo airport in Anambra will get saturated with business if properly implemented. Thus, a further development in Umuahia or a town close to Aba and Port Harcourt should be in view.

@Asaba Airport Supporters
It will be good if the purpose of building Asaba airport is defined having mind that there are airports in Benin and Warri; and there is an Airport in Enugu and Owerri.

I'm a citizen of Anambra, Enugu and Abia states.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Oboma1(m): 4:52pm On Nov 04, 2009
queenesthr:

Which cheap drug are you taking?
Do you know the volume of Cargo that comes into Anambra State on a daily bases?
Do you know the amount of risk Anambra business men have to take to transport their goods into Onitsha  because there is no airport in Anambra state?
Wake up from your own sleep first.

You are mad in the head, and sick in the hand.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Oboma1(m): 4:54pm On Nov 04, 2009
koolchicco:

The screening obviously starts with your comments here. ergo, u stand lil or no chance to make the 'A' list.
Check urself ,Bloke!!!

Are you still here, Please Nairaland, do something.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Nezan(m): 4:55pm On Nov 04, 2009
Is it now that he is about to fight for re-election that Mr. Obi wants to build an airport? 9ja politicians na wah!
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by AloyEmeka6: 4:57pm On Nov 04, 2009
Anambra is a commercial state but I think the Asaba airport already in progress should cater for that. let them build roads for citizens to walk and drive on. Enough of this airport craziness, we are not birds that fly in the air.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by manny4life(m): 4:57pm On Nov 04, 2009
Oboma1:

Are you still here, Please Nairaland, do something.

Do what? What you want Nairaland to do?
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Oboma1(m): 4:59pm On Nov 04, 2009
Your mates are posting constructive comments both for and against the airport, you are exhibiting the height of madness. Please join the league of others.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by manny4life(m): 5:00pm On Nov 04, 2009
Oboma1:

Your mates are posting constructive comments both for and against the airport, you are exhibiting the height of madness. Please join the league of others.

Who is exhibiting the height of madness?
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by saintneo(m): 5:02pm On Nov 04, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Anambra is a commercial state but I thing the Asaba airport already in progress should cater for that. let them build roads for citizens to walk and drive on. Enough of this airport craziness, we are not birds that fly in the air.

sorry A¬E this is business we are talking about here. Anambra is overdue for an airport.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by manny4life(m): 5:05pm On Nov 04, 2009
saintneo:

sorry A¬E this is business we are talking about here. Anambra is overdue for an airport.

Thank you, say it out loud. I would imagine that more than 60% of the aiport operations would be based on commercial cargo, and they don't need to patronize Asaba airport.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Oboma1(m): 5:10pm On Nov 04, 2009
Nobody is against the airport, but they all must be viable. Some International airports in Nigeria are not worth the name e.g Sokoto airport is an International airport. How many flights go there a day?

manny4life:

Who is exhibiting the height of madness?

If a person is not sensible in his comment, then he is what? Either one is for the airport, or is not, instead of saying one is taking cheap drugs, which I believe is manufactured from the same fake drugs market in Onitsha. He/she must be the owner of those fake drugs firm, that is why he/she is looking for who to send to untimely grave.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Uche2nna(m): 5:11pm On Nov 04, 2009
Ben-10:

When Roads Are Still Terribly Bad. . . Naija Is Too Funny sad

Building of airports is always a welcome development. However, the above statement struck a chord in me.

Saying that the roads are bad is an understatement. Its a nightmare traveling from Lagos to Onitsha (or vice versa) these days.

The volume of goods that traverse the Onitsha-Lagos axis is mind boggling , and U can build all the airports you want, the bulk of those goods will still be transported via land. Nowadays, a truck filled with goods from lagos takes about 2 to 3 days to get to Onitsha and thats if u are lucky.

Its ok to think about building an airport, but I hope that they are also sparing a thought for the conditions of the road which in my own opinion should be more of a priority now. Unless if all this hoopla about building an airport is a political ruse for the up coming elections undecided
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by manny4life(m): 5:15pm On Nov 04, 2009
Oboma1:

Nobody is against the airport, but they all must be viable. Some International airports in Nigeria are not worth the name e.g Sokoto airport is an International airport. How many flights go there a day?

If a person is not sensible in his comment, then he is what? Either one is for the airport, or is not, instead of saying one is taking cheap drugs, which I believe is manufactured from the same fake drugs market in Onitsha. He/she must be the owner of those fake drugs firm, that is why he/she is looking for who to send to untimely grave.

Just because an airport says its international doesn't necessarily mean its operations are, that show you the mentality of Nigerians. Always want to add the word "international" to their airport to make it sound big, and I would bet that that airport doesn't have an ICAO airport code. Like I have always suggested its good they have airports but local standard ones will do just fine.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by manny4life(m): 5:19pm On Nov 04, 2009
Uche2nna:

Building of airports is always a welcome development. However, the above statement struck a chord in me.

Saying that the roads are bad is an understatement. Its a nightmare traveling from Lagos to Onitsha (or vice versa) these days.

The volume of goods that traverse the Onitsha-Lagos axis is mind boggling , and U can build all the airports you want, the bulk of those goods will still be transported via land. Nowadays, a truck filled with goods from lagos takes about 2 to 3 days to get to Onitsha and thats if u are lucky.

Its ok to think about building an airport, but I hope that they are also sparing a thought for the conditions of the road which in my own opinion should be more of a priority now. Unless if all this hoopla about building an airport is a political ruse for the up coming elections undecided

True though but hey why would I want to wait a for days and then you not certain about the goods arrival rather than pay a few extra money and get my goods delivered to my destination same day, fast and easy less hassle. Well I agree with you though they still need to fix the roads.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Uche2nna(m): 5:45pm On Nov 04, 2009
manny4life:

True though but hey why would I want to wait a for days and then you not certain about the goods arrival rather than pay a few extra money and get my goods delivered to my destination same day, fast and easy less hassle. Well I agree with you though they still need to fix the roads.

There are certain goods that U wont even think about using Airplanes to transport.

Also, paying extra money to transport ur goods will not be helpful if it wipes out all ur profit at the end.

Even at present, the traders have the option of using the modern luxurious buses to transport their goods and that should arrive relatively earlier than using the 911 trucks but once again, it is expensive and they opt for the trucks. Now u are suggesting they use airplanes LOL grin

I am not in anyway against an airport, there are people who can afford it and it will be helpful, but they really should do something about those roads that actually accounts for 100 percent of the traffic as we speak.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by rhymz(m): 5:45pm On Nov 04, 2009
This is a welcome development in the SE,I don't know why some of us are cynical about it.My only fear is that the FG may want to compromise on quality.I just hope it's not going to be an exercise in futility.People arguing that Delta State realy shouldn't have embarked on the building of thier airport have a very valid point,projects like this should be tied to the economic importance of doing such.It realy doesn't make sense,there's hardly any economic activities in Delta state,it does'nt have anything that can bring the influx of people or trigger some serious economic activities,that airport to me is some white elephant project,I don't mean any pun but that's the obvious truth.I am not from Anambra state but I think that if any state in the SE deserves an international cargo airport it's Anambra,Anambra and Abia states constitute the economic nerve centre of the SE,most of us here will think otherwise if we have actually been to these two states to see why we argue that Anambra deserves this project than any other state besides Lagos and Abuja( being the capital).However,we must be weary of this new crazy fad to build airport without serious consideration and strategy,I just hope one won't wake up one morning to hear that Abia state is considering building an airport when obviously the distance btw Imo state and Abia state is just like the distance btw surulere and Ikorodun LGA.Both FG and SG should concentrate thier development effort on better roads, sea ports and other infrastructure of strategic importance.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by lawrence83: 5:53pm On Nov 04, 2009
here they go again!

nice development, but enough money to be stolen.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by Oboma1(m): 6:14pm On Nov 04, 2009
manny4life:

Just because an airport says its international doesn't necessarily mean its operations are, that show you the mentality of Nigerians. Always want to add the word "international" to their airport to make it sound big, and I would bet that that airport doesn't have an ICAO airport code. Like I have always suggested its good they have airports but local standard ones will do just fine.

Fine, what a nice contribution, but I must add, Sokoto International airport used to be very viable in the 80's. Nigeria Airways used to connect Niamey from there, one three flights weekly. This is far from the normal local flights. Even Calabar, used to connect Malabo, during the era of Nigeria Airways. So, whatever airport that was termed International then, used to fly International indeed. Today, due to decay in infrastructure, non of them will have the liver to even answer International. So, Nigerians mentality is intact. You cross check your information before putting them across. Nigerians are not fools, please.
Re: Fg Approves Construction Of Anambra Airport by manny4life(m): 6:19pm On Nov 04, 2009
Uche2nna:

There are certain goods that U wont even think about using Airplanes to transport.

Also, paying extra money to transport your goods will not be helpful if it wipes out all your profit at the end.

Even at present, the traders have the option of using the modern luxurious buses to transport their goods and that should arrive relatively earlier than using the 911 trucks but once again, it is expensive and they opt for the trucks. Now u are suggesting they use airplanes LOL grin

I am not in anyway against an airport, there are people who can afford it and it will be helpful, but they really should do something about those roads that actually accounts for 100 percent of the traffic as we speak.

True that there are certain goods you cannot transport by air but yes people would pay money to get their goods to their destaination fast and its not that expensive as you might think because they are consolidating several goods into one, less insurance and minimized risk. Moreover, they go by weight and distance in NM when freighting and if I'm correct, a normal flight from lagos to onitsha should be about 200NM, about 45 - 60 mins, operable by a 737 converted to a freighter can lift almost 187,000lbs of weight and that's with full fuel for a maximum range of almost 4,500NM (Lagos to Newyork). Like I said, airlines calulate by NM and the average cost per N/M is about $.0.13, and since each seats (200lbs) represent a piece of cargo * by a 200 NM trip would be, $0.13*1*200 = $26, calculate that in to (N), that should be what your cost is. This would be a lot cheaper than passenger because passengers are assigned 200lbs slots regardless of flown or not, but cargo you adjust based on demands and so on. Yes people who want to deliver bulk cargo more so on a flight can do it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Amosun Launches 150 Taxi Cab In Ogun / Happy Birthday Your Excellency, Atiku Abubakar (turaki Adamawa) / APC Chief Asks Buhari To Probe Patience Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.