Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level (21572 Views)

Ibos React With Hashtags / Supreme Court Victory: Women In Aso Ebi Welcome Akwa Ibom PDP Chairman / Ibos Are Scared Of Leaving Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by HashtagMoniker(m): 10:58am On Nov 25, 2016
Creative Destruction
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by omofunaab(m): 11:00am On Nov 25, 2016
Needless thread
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2016
PenSniper:
That is delusional. It has nothing to do with dynamism.
When you have no defined culture germaine to your society, the tendency is for you to copy the cultures of others.

Yorubas and Hausas have no reason to parrot your "culture" since they already know its partly copied from them and they are proud of their rich cultures anyway.

Don't mind that guy. Some of them will say anything to make themselves feel good. In the past few years, I have even seen many Igbo brides copying the Edo mode of dressing, or wearing the complete Edo bridal outfit during their traditional marriages in the East, such as the beaded crown called Okuku, beaded anklets, waist beads, and bracelets around the wrist called the Ivie-ebo, earrings called Emi-ehorivie, a cape called Ewu-ivie made entirely of beads, and beaded clutch or Ekpa-ivie.

They copy many aspects of their dressing from others. So, what exactly does full traditional Igbo bridal wear look like? Nobody has been able to answer that question. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by mightyhazel: 12:46pm On Nov 25, 2016
PenSniper:

That is delusional. It has nothing to do with dynamism.
When you have no defined culture germaine to your society, the tendency is for you to copy the cultures of others.

Yorubas and Hausas have no reason to parrot your "culture" since they already know its partly copied from them and they are proud of their rich cultures anyway.
lols! So igbo cultures are part of yoruba and hausa cultures?
Ok,we hear alll manner of things from all manner of ppl everyday.

The problem with u guys esp u yorubas is dat ur too timid and hardly leave ur surroundings. If u hav been 2 igbo land and witnessed igbo festivals and aactivities,u won't spew exhibit dis kind of ignorance,..but dats by the way side

Am talking here abt igbo dynamism. Personally av tried out yoruba and hausa attires and even bini attires in the past. U knw wot? I found some v fascinating,...but dats because am dynamic and freespirited enuf 2 tink nuffn about it.

The question is hav u ever been free spirited enuf 2 wear igbo attires?

5 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by ezeagu(m): 12:59pm On Nov 25, 2016
mightyhazel:
igbos are dynamic.we hav no qualms adopting ppls culture (evn the primitive ones),..and modifying it 2 suit purposes.

U will notice dat it's only the igboman dat will dorn hausa and yoruba attires without thinking anytin abt it. But u'd hardly see a yorubaor hausa man puttin on igbo attires (except ofcourse wen dey com beggin 4 votes).
Igbos are dynamic and unrestrained in terms of openheartedness and adventurism.

Dats y u'd always hear (and see for urself) dat 'igbo amaka'

Truth is ours smiley

Igbo people cannot be on the internet shouting "Afonja, Afonja" up and down only to then go and wear agbada and say it's because they are "dynamic". There also isn't much dynamism in Biafra.

There's nothing dynamic about dumping your culture and traditions. That's how Igbo people ended up deserting Igboland to go an be routinely butchered up in Kano.

Nonsense. Call a spade a spade, there is a lost core ideal for Igbo culture which is why Igbo children speak their language less than other major ethnic groups, or is that one "dynamism" as well?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
1x2x3:

Which culture in that picture are you attributing to Afonjas? African prints? I don't see anything related to Yoruba culture there OP was only making fun of how funny the print looks.
Yoruba's culture u wanna ascribe to African abi? see this one.
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by mightyhazel: 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2016
ezeagu:

Igbo people cannot be on the internet shouting "Afonja, Afonja" up and down only to then go and wear agbada and say it's because they are "dynamic". There also isn't much dynamism in Biafra.

There's nothing dynamic about dumping your culture and traditions. That's how Igbo people ended up deserting Igboland to go an be routinely butchered up in Kano.

Nonsense. Call a spade a spade, there is a lost core ideal for Igbo culture which is why Igbo children speak their language less than other major ethnic groups, or is that one "dynamism" as well?
if u can't decode the msg am tryn 2 pass across in dat msg of mine,there might not be much I cud do.

I was born and bred outside of igbo land,but b4 my 16th birthday,av read scores of igbo novels like 'isi akwu dara n'ala',..'Omenuko'..,'Juo obinna' and a host of other igbo literatures including religious books. U can now imagine the justice I do to igbo spoken language and parables,..!
Oga one cud be dynamic while not forgetting his roots.
We all cudt hav been born and brought up in igbo land,..wots important is dat u teach ur children and wards our culture,traditions and values.( I have relatives living in the east,but speak v rusty igbo and wit v low igbo values,..I also knw a couplr living in holland,..but their kids dere speak fluent igbo).

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2016
olaitoro:

ranting of an omoale.

lagos is a no mans land, you can kill yourself if it pains you
na u be omo-ale cuz u have left ur ancestral land to seek for greener pasture among afonja which is modern day slavery.

We need more people like u to slave more for d superior afonjas.
Ewu-Anuofia

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:28pm On Nov 25, 2016
olaitoro:

as we Igbos keep on flogging you ewedu eaters in Lagos.

Remember ladikpo market treatment.

omo werey

Ladipo market treatment wey your bakassi warlords went on their bellies and begged for mercy. All your Ezes were packed into a van and driven to Lqgos to beg Fashola for mercy.

Is it the Babaloja incidence we go present or the OPC siege?

Which treatment? Name one face off anywhere in Lagos Ibo ever had a upper hand, just one!!

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:46pm On Nov 25, 2016
Igbo traditional culture na wrapper for men and red winter knit hat with tail drooped over the shoulder.

The aso ebi these people wear in OP picture are styled after YORUBA cultural wear.

Even the ankara prints is foreign to Ibo culture.

See picture of traditional Ibo prints and style here and compare with Yoruba prints and style. Pictures dont lie.

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 4:51pm On Nov 25, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
Igbo traditional culture na wrapper for men and red winter knit hat with tail drooped over the shoulder.

The aso ebi these people wear in OP picture are styled after YORUBA cultural wear.

Even the ankara prints is foreign to Ibo culture.

See picture of traditional Ibo prints and style here and compare with Yoruba prints and style. Pictures dont lie.

Thank you. now please post the pictures of Igbo bridal attire and let us see the difference. We can compare & contrast it with those of other tribes. cheesy
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by behavewell: 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2016
Pls.the speling of igbo is IGBO.the correct spelling is not ibo.stop that eror......IGBO BU IGBO.

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2016
behavewell:
Pls.the speling of igbo is IGBO.the correct spelling is not ibo.stop that eror......IGBO BU IGBO.

(yawn) How does that concern the rest of us that are not Igbo?
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:32pm On Nov 25, 2016
laudate:

Thank you. now please post the pictures of Igbo bridal attire and let us see the difference. We can compare & contrast it with those of other tribes. cheesy

Pre or post Yoruba influence on Ibo bridal outing?
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 9:32pm On Nov 25, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
Pre or post Yoruba influence on Ibo bridal outing?

Ba-aa-ad guy!! cheesy Please post pictures from both eras i.e. pre-Yoruba influence & post-Yoruba influence. Thanks.
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 11:38pm On Nov 25, 2016
How exactly did Yorubas invent Ankara? grin cheesy

Some people are just mad and out of control.
These Yoruba delusions are really getting out of hand.

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by 1x2x3: 11:52pm On Nov 25, 2016
Onijagidijagan:

Yoruba's culture u wanna ascribe to African abi? see this one.

Afonjas and their limited brains. The Ankara you know today is formerly know as Dutch wax and never originated from Africa

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 12:15am On Nov 26, 2016
[b] According to history, clothes have not always been worn in Africa. If you let the history books tell you all you know, they might even say the first sighting of clothes in Africa dates back to 2000 B.C.E. The accuracy of this report we will never know but we can tell you is the origin of the Ankara cloth. The Ankara cloth generally made popular by countries in West Africa such as Ghana, Nigeria and Senegal was not originally from any of the countries. The Ankara cloth was created in Indonesia. For as long as they can remember, the Indonesian locals have made Batik. Slaves and mercenaries recruited from West Africa to be part of the Indonesian army took a liking to Batik and returned to West Africa with the cloth. The different versions made in Indonesia and Europe were not wildly accepted by the people and with this rejection, the manufacturers then turned to West Africa where market women had taken a liking to the materials and even made better patterns of the Cloth. With this discovery came the birth of Ankara. It was adopted and made popular by West Africa and based on this popularity, we are now able to look at Runways all over the world and see the inspiration for Ankara from Burberry, L.A.M.B, Marni to name a few. We are able to see the inspiration of the Ankara cloth everywhere. Women all over West Africa today wear Ankara casually. They are worn at weddings to identify friends of the bride and groom, at birthdays to identify family and friends of the celebrant and even at funerals to celebrate the departed. http://www.afwchicago.com/blog/?p=81 [/b]

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 12:17am On Nov 26, 2016
1x2x3:

Afonjas and their limited brains. The Ankara you know today is formerly know as Dutch wax and never originated from Africa

Those people psychosis is getting out of hand. I swear.
Ankara was said to be of Indonesian origin, adapted and modified by the Dutch and later introduced into West Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by ezeagu(m): 1:19am On Nov 26, 2016
mightyhazel:
if u can't decode the msg am tryn 2 pass across in dat msg of mine,there might not be much I cud do.

I was born and bred outside of igbo land,but b4 my 16th birthday,av read scores of igbo novels like 'isi akwu dara n'ala',..'Omenuko'..,'Juo obinna' and a host of other igbo literatures including religious books. U can now imagine the justice I do to igbo spoken language and parables,..!
Oga one cud be dynamic while not forgetting his roots.
We all cudt hav been born and brought up in igbo land,..wots important is dat u teach ur children and wards our culture,traditions and values.( I have relatives living in the east,but speak v rusty igbo and wit v low igbo values,..I also knw a couplr living in holland,..but their kids dere speak fluent igbo).

Taking up cultures pointlessly or wearing other peoples garments which have no meaning to you, unless you're attending a function themed in the respective culture, does not really say 'dynamic', it just means that a person does not have a strong sense of self, which is why Yoruba and Hausa people do not wear Igbo clothing, whatever that may be in this day and age, who knows. You said Igbo people may even adopt "primitive" aspects of others culture which is what really stood out in the post and that kinda of rubbishes the idea of some kind of beneficial flexibility.

If we're arguing about acculturation anyway then that would mean agbada or babariga would now be considered an Igbo costume, which it is not, therefore nothing has been taken into Igbo culture, it's just a bunch of Igbo people wearing random clothing for no particular reason. A good example of sensible cultural borrowing is the stripy long caps Igbo people wear which was gotten from Ibibio people, now we can say what the hat represents and that it belongs to those communities who had the ekpe mens society, unlike agbada that means nothing in Igbo society.

Jews (using this example with the risk of brining up Jewish 'origin theories') are probably the most 'dynamic' cultural group on earth, but they do not mess with their attires or their customs, Jews wear the costume of their host communities usually, but I have not seen Jews enter a synagogue with a thawb or lederhosen.

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:24am On Nov 26, 2016
To pazienza and ezeagu,
In all of colonial England, Manchester and Liverpool were singularly famous for their wool and cotton industries. There is nobody and nowhere in Europe that grows cotton but all over the globe English cotton and wool was a popular and best brand.

Do you know who was the single major supplier of cotton to Liverpool and Manchester? Let's start from this foundation before I give you instruction on the root of ankara and other fabrics connected with Yoruba culture.

Go and read up on the cotton growers of Yorubaland first and get some sense and sober up.

You need to know the footprint of Yoruba antiquity and its contributions and influence on popular culture and fashion around the globe.
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Nobody: 5:47am On Nov 26, 2016
mightyhazel:
igbos are dynamic.we hav no qualms adopting ppls culture (evn the primitive ones),..and modifying it 2 suit purposes.

U will notice dat it's only the igboman dat will dorn hausa and yoruba attires without thinking anytin abt it. But u'd hardly see a yorubaor hausa man puttin on igbo attires (except ofcourse wen dey com beggin 4 votes).

Truth is ours smiley
igbos dont have a culture of the own, go to an igbo traditional marriage and see the man wearing agbada and the lady putting on kilari

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Sanchez01: 6:32am On Nov 26, 2016
mightyhazel:

Truth is ours smiley
There's no dynamism here but a case of a culture that is fast dying. You cannot term yourselves to be dynamic when you flaunt traditional attires of other tribes. I cannot imagine myself as an Urhobo man, wearing Babariga, then come out to say 'I'm dynamic'. It plainly means my cultural heritage is fast dying with me. Although, it's not a sin to don other people's wears once in a while, but when a people do so and they do it largely to attend a function, then the place of culture is fast diminishing.

While you're right about politicians doning attires that are not theirs, you should understand that that is purely political and subtle means of saying 'I've come to be accepted'. Fashion trends are fast killing cultural values. Unfortunately, laudate is very right. I'm not sure if I've seen a fully donned Igbo bride in a typical Igbo attire. Most of them fashion their dressings after the Edos and the Benins. It's appalling, if you ask me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 6:42am On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
To pazienza and ezeagu,
In all of colonial England, Manchester and Liverpool were singularly famous for their wool and cotton industries. There is nobody and nowhere in Europe that grows cotton but all over the globe English cotton and wool was a popular and best brand.

Do you know who was the single major supplier of cotton to Liverpool and Manchester? Let's start from this foundation before I give you instruction on the root of ankara and other fabrics connected with Yoruba culture.

Go and read up on the cotton growers of Yorubaland first and get some sense and sober up.

You need to know the footprint of Yoruba antiquity and its contributions and influence on popular culture and fashion around the globe.

What is this post supposed to mean? That Ankara is
a Yoruba product or Of Yoruba origin?

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 6:44am On Nov 26, 2016
Sanchez01:

There's no dynamism here but a case of a culture that is fast dying. You cannot term yourselves to be dynamic when you flaunt traditional attires of other tribes. I cannot imagine myself as an Urhobo man, wearing Babariga, then come out to say 'I'm dynamic'. It plainly means my cultural heritage is fast dying with me. Although, it's not a sin to don other people's wears once in a while, but when a people do so and they do it largely to attend a function, then the place of culture is fast diminishing.

While you're right about politicians doning attires that are not theirs, you should understand that that is purely political and subtle means of saying 'I've come to be accepted'. Fashion trends are fast killing cultural values. Unfortunately, laudate is very right. I'm not sure if I've seen a fully donned Igbo bride in a typical Igbo attire. Most of them fashion their dressings after the Edos and the Benins. It's appalling, if you ask me.

Can I see a picture of what you call Edos and Benin's attire.
Cos somehow, my mind is telling me that this is you ignorantly insinuating that Coral beads are of Edo origin. grin

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 6:46am On Nov 26, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

igbos dont have a culture of the own, go to an igbo traditional marriage and see the man wearing agbada and the lady putting on kilari

This Igbophobic Ijaw man again?

All over America's, the Igbo culture was felt and known.

Nobody knows your inconsequential Ijaws. Deal with it and leave Ndiigbo out of your psychosis.

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Sanchez01: 6:49am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Cos somehow, my mind is telling me that this is you ignorantly insinuating that Coral beads are of Edo origin. grin
A combination of Edo and Benin pictures. Feast your eyes and upload pictures of a typical Igbo bride traditional attire.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by IkpuMmadu: 6:49am On Nov 26, 2016
Bit wait a minute....who said that wearing Ankara is a Yoruba culture ?
Who said that wearing uniform is a Yoruba culture?

You guys should stop all these claims...Ankara isn't a Yoruba culture and we know yoruba is aso oke that thick material that they weave not Ankara nor even uniform

These kids shoukd get a life
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Sanchez01: 6:52am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Ignorantly? Not in the least of ways! I'm Urhobo and I know we don't come close to the Benins and Edos when it comes to beads.

Google should help you as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 7:02am On Nov 26, 2016
Sanchez01:

Ignorantly? Not in the least of ways! I'm Urhobo and I know we don't come close to the Benins and Edos when it comes to beads.

Google should help you as well.

You are not wise. Coral beads were introduced to Africa by the Europeans.

Its not an African culture, let alone Edo one.
Binis and Edos were not the only Africans who took liking to Coral beads.Corals were introduced to Edoland as much as same times it was introduced in Igboland by the colonial powers.
You can't claim it to be Edo/Bini culture. grin grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 7:06am On Nov 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:
Bit wait a minute....who said that wearing Ankara is a Yoruba culture ?
Who said that wearing uniform is a Yoruba culture?

You guys should stop all these claims...Ankara isn't a Yoruba culture and we know yoruba is aso oke that thick material that they weave not Ankara nor even uniform

These kids shoukd get a life

Their psychosis is deteriorating by the day.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:10am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

What is this post supposed to mean? That Ankara is
a Yoruba product or Of Yoruba origin?

From African perspective, both!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Presidential And Senatorial Results From Imo State / Garba Shehu: FG Is Building Rail Line To Border Point not Into Niger Republic / Missing Soldiers Found - Army Spokesman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.