Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,049 members, 7,810,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level (21571 Views)

Ibos React With Hashtags / Supreme Court Victory: Women In Aso Ebi Welcome Akwa Ibom PDP Chairman / Ibos Are Scared Of Leaving Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Sanchez01: 7:16am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

You are not wise. Coral beads were introduced to Africa by the Europeans.

Its not an African culture, let alone Edo one.
Binis and Edos were not the only Africans who took liking to Coral beads.Corals were introduced to Edoland as much as same times it was introduced in Igboland by the colonial powers.
You can't claim it to be Edo/Bini culture. grin grin cheesy
Show me your father's house, and you're telling me there's no light. You can see how your wisdom can make you see your ears? cheesy

SHOW ME A TYPICAL IGBO BRIDE TRADITIONAL ATTIRE AND QUIT YAPPING wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 7:25am On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

From African perspective, both!

No such thing as that.

Ankara came to West Africa same time.
Yorubas can't wake up overnight and start claiming Ankara.
Yoruba culture is Ase Oke. Ndiigbo had Akwete.
Yorubas can't wake up overnight and come and be claiming Ankara. grin, an Indonesian clothing culture.

5 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 7:36am On Nov 26, 2016
Sanchez01:

Show me your father's house, and you're telling me there's no light. You can see how your wisdom can make you see your ears? cheesy

SHOW ME A TYPICAL IGBO BRIDE TRADITIONAL ATTIRE AND QUIT YAPPING wink

Igbo is a big group.

No single typical Igbo clothing style.

Those Igbos close to the Atlantic, adopted the same clothing style from the Europeans as the rest of non Igbo speaking coastal tribes.

Igbos close to Efik/Ibibio/Annang areas, adopted same clothing style as them.
The Anioma adopted same clothing style from the Europeans, alongside the Edo and Edoids.

Those of us in the Middle, developed our own unique clothing styles too.

So, you don't really come and say " Igbo typically bridal" attire.
It is bound to differ according to the Bride's place of origin, or in this day of "pan Igboism", a bride from one Igbo cultural area might choose to wear the clothing style of another Igbo cultural area she likes.

4 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 7:41am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

No such thing as that.

Yorubas can't wake up overnight and come and be claiming Ankara. grin, an Indonesian clothing culture.

You simply forgot what Adire is? It was Adire that got modified to Ankara! Yoruba owns ankara, disputing it is foolishness!
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

This Igbophobic Ijaw man again?

All over America's, the Igbo culture was felt and known.

Nobody knows your inconsequential Ijaws. Deal with it and leave Ndiigbo out of your psychosis.

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 7:50am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

You simply forgot what Adire is? It was Adire that got modified to Ankara! Yoruba owns ankara, disputing it is foolishness!

You are a normal Ignorant, yet delusional Yoruba person.

Everyone with Brain knows the Indonesian- Dutch origin of Ankara.

How exactly Yorubas think they can wake up overnight and start using their Lagos-Ibadan den Of falsehoods and propaganda called print media to propagate their agenda in this ICT age is beyond me.

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 7:56am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

You are a normal Ignorant, yet delusional Yoruba person.

Everyone with Brain knows the Indonesian- Dutch origin of Ankara.

How exactly Yorubas think they can wake up overnight and start using their Lagos-Ibadan den Of falsehoods and propaganda called print media to propagate their agenda in this ICT age is beyond me.

How is Adire Indonesian? Is it an Indonesian name?

You're really stupid if you don't know that Yoruba has been making Adire before Ibo ancestors even came to be.
Check out this: http://life.guardian.ng/2016/07/a-short-history-of-adire/

And Come back to tell me how it is an indonesian culture? Foolish being!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 7:57am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

How is Adire Indonesian? Is it an Indonesian name?

You're really stupid if you don't know that Yoruba has been making Adire before Ibo ancestors even came to be.
Check out this: http://life.guardian.ng/2016/07/a-short-history-of-adire/

And Come back to tell me how it is an indonesian culture? Foolish being!

Hello! We are talking about Ankara here, WTF is Adire?

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 7:59am On Nov 26, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 26, 2016
[quote author=pazienza post=51379789][/quote]
Is obiano soliciting for yoruba votes in anambra?

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 8:03am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Hello! We are talking about Ankara here, WTF is Adire?

At least you realised you're an Ignorant doofus!

Just look at this

Do tell me if Ankara doesn't look similar to these Adire above? The fact that we modified it into Ankara doesn't negate the fact it's our culture! Get some sense!

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 8:06am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

At least you realised you're an Ignorant doofus!

Just look at this

Do tell me if Ankara doesn't look similar to these Adire above? The fact that we modified it into Ankara doesn't negate the fact it's our culture! Get some sense!

You need full psychological examination.
We are talking about Ankara, not Adure or whatever. Stay on topic.
Most Igbos don't know about your Adire, what we know and wear are Ankara.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 8:08am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

You need full psychological examination.
We are talking about Ankara, not Adure or whatever. Stay on topic.
Most Igbos don't know about your Adire, what we know and wear are Ankara.

Lmao!

Adire is simply Ankara and Yoruba owns the art! If you don't know that, then you need your brain checked!

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 8:11am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

Lmao!

Adire is simply Ankara and Yoruba owns the art! If you don't know that, then you need your brain checked!

Now, this my people, is a living example of frank psychosis.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 8:14am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Now, this my people, is a living example of frank psychosis.

You're so dumb I swear! That you're Jealous of Yoruba arts doesn't mean you have to be stupid!

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 8:26am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

You're so dumb I swear! That you're Jealous of Yoruba arts doesn't mean you have to be stupid!

Jealous of Gini? grin
You are definitely a lost cause.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 8:29am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Jealous of Gini? grin You are definitely a lost cause.
Lmao!
Just accept that you goofed!
Ankara/adire is Yoruba art. As simple as ABC!

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Sanchez01: 8:46am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Igbo is a big group.

No single typical Igbo clothing style.

Those Igbos close to the Atlantic, adopted the same clothing style from the Europeans as the rest of non Igbo speaking coastal tribes.

Igbos close to Efik/Ibibio/Annang areas, adopted same clothing style as them.
The Anioma adopted same clothing style from the Europeans, alongside the Edo and Edoids.

Those of us in the Middle, developed our own unique clothing styles too.

So, you don't really come and say " Igbo typically bridal" attire.
It is bound to differ according to the Bride's place of origin, or in this day of "pan Igboism", a bride from one Igbo cultural area might choose to wear the clothing style of another Igbo cultural area she likes.
So you're telling me that there's no standard bridal dress mode due to the many cultural differences in Igboland, yeah?

How about we stick to the five eastern states before going outside to some areas of the South South? How about you share that of Enugu or Anambra, or even Abia state? If you're telling me this, then you're indirectly saying your cannot provide the aforementioned probably because LG defines clothings and all for couples particularly the brides.

Urhobo as an ethnic group, is very broad with sub-sects and slight variations cum diversities, YET bridal dressings stay the same. The Yorùbás are scattered by variations, sub-groups, etc but also come to reckon with their dressings during weddings, particularly traditional weddings. The same applies to the Hausas.

Let's start with where YOU'RE FROM. HOW ABOUT THAT?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 8:51am On Nov 26, 2016
Sanchez01:

So you're telling me that there's no standard bridal dress mode due to the many cultural differences in Igboland, yeah?

How about we stick to the five eastern states before going outside to some areas of the South South? How about you share that of Enugu or Anambra, or even Abia state? If you're telling me this, then you're indirectly saying your cannot provide the aforementioned probably because LG defines clothings and all for couples particularly the brides.

Urhobo as an ethnic group, is very broad with sub-sects and slight variations cum diversities, YET bridal dressings stay the same. The Yorùbás are scattered by variations, sub-groups, etc but also come to reckon with their dressings during weddings, particularly traditional weddings. The same applies to the Hausas.

Let's start with where YOU'RE FROM. HOW ABOUT THAT?

Urhobo is just Eight local government areas.
Ngwa sub group of Igbo for example is made up 7 local governments areas, same as Nsukka sub group.
Yorubas had a central setting provided by Oyo empire, Hausas got centralized by Fulani colonists.

Ndiigbo never had such central convergence, each group developed independent of the other.

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by olaitoro(m): 8:56am On Nov 26, 2016
Onijagidijagan:

na u be omo-ale cuz u have left ur ancestral land to seek for greener pasture among afonja which is modern day slavery.

We need more people like u to slave more for d superior afonjas.
Ewu-Anuofia

which greener pasture

Igbos in lagos and environ are turning you yorubas to slaves in your own backyard.

we are using you yorubas as slaves, doing to you yorubas what chinese and indians are doing to Africans.

Erisco tomatoes recently employ as many yoruba slaves as possible.

you know the truth egbon, we Igbo will always beat you lazy slave economically.

hahaha
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Sanchez01: 9:07am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Urhobo is just Eight local government areas.
Ngwa sub group of Igbo for example is made up 7 local governments areas, same as Nsukka sub group.
Yorubas had a central setting provided by Oyo empire, Hausas got centralized by Fulani colonists.

Ndiigbo never had such central convergence, each group developed independent of the other.
So this is your defense, just so because you can't tell what brides adorn in Igbo Traditional marriages?

Yorùbás HAD a centralized setting, BUT NOT ANY MORE! Haba! Why are you going back and forth? All I asked for was simple and you're here giving me Bashorun Gaa's history. Who cares about that? Can you please provide pictures and stop these hide and seek? I uploaded Edo and Bini pictures earlier. Now do same for Igbo brides. I, for one, would love to learn and add to my knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 9:22am On Nov 26, 2016
Sanchez01:

So this is your defense, just so because you can't tell what brides adorn in Igbo Traditional marriages?

Yorùbás HAD a centralized setting, BUT NOT ANY MORE! Haba! Why are you going back and forth? All I asked for was simple and you're here giving me Bashorun Gaa's history. Who cares about that? Can you please provide pictures and stop these hide and seek? I uploaded Edo and Bini pictures earlier. Now do same for Igbo brides. I, for one, would love to learn and add to my knowledge.

If you want Igbo bridal dressings, google is your friend.

I'm sure you can find thousands of them there, there are even NL topics on that.

Stop detailing this topic.
Topic is about Ankara clothing a group of Igbos were pictured wearing.

Which so far, I had proven is of Indonesian- Dutch origin, and not of any Nigerian group.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 9:30am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

If you want Igbo bridal dressings, google is your friend.

I'm sure you can find thousands of them there, there are even NL topics on that.

Stop detailing this topic.
Topic is about Ankara clothing a group of Igbos were pictured wearing.

Which so far, I had proven is of Indonesian- Dutch origin, and not of any Nigerian group.

LOL! What a delusion!

You proved nothing! That Yoruba modified their Adire and incorporated some foreign techniques into it doesn't negate the fact that Yoruba started the crafts and the tribe known to wear the craft is Yoruba, Not Ibos!

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 9:41am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

LOL! What a delusion!

You proved nothing! That Yoruba modified their Adire and incorporated some foreign techniques into it doesn't negate the fact that Yoruba started the crafts and the tribe known to wear the craft is Yoruba, Not Ibos!

Well, the cloths the Igbo people OP pictured were wearing Are Ankara, and Of Indonesian- Dutch origin.

Why then is he ascribing them to his Afonja people?

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 9:45am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Well, the cloths the Igbo people OP pictured were wearing Are Ankara, and Of Indonesian- Dutch origin.

Why then is he ascribing them to his Afonja people?

Because it's the Afonja that are known to wear such crafts, not the Ibos! Hence, the dismay!

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 9:52am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

Because it's the Afonja that are known to wear such crafts, not the Ibos! Hence, the dismay!

Lol! What craft? Ankara?

Same Ankara that my great grandmother wore?

You lots are delusional.
Ankara, pronounced as "Akara" by Ndiigbo had been used in Igboland since the coming of the Europeans.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pyxon(m): 9:54am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

LOL! What a delusion!

Afonja R shameless people. See how they are claiming someone elses culture
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 9:56am On Nov 26, 2016
pyxon:

Afonja R shameless people. See how they are claiming someone elses culture

Osu are the worst! They have no culture and rather steal someone else's, only to eventually claim it at the end!

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pyxon(m): 9:59am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

Osu AFONJA are the worst! They have no culture and rather steal someone else's, only to eventually claim it at the end!
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 10:01am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Lol! What craft? Ankara?

Same Ankara that my great grandmother wore?

You lots are delusional.
Ankara, pronounced as "Akara" by Ndiigbo had been used in Igboland since the coming of the Europeans.

Lmao! How is Akara an Ibo word?

I repeat that it's Yoruba crafts! Do tell me if the one displayed by the Op where some Ibo men were printed on the attire were brought in from Europe?

Yoruba started the art and are known to wear it. They may have incorporated some foreign techniques but it's still theirs!

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 10:02am On Nov 26, 2016
pyxon:
Osu has no culture to begin with.. Take that to your skull!

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:03am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

No such thing as that.

Ok, let me give you the chronology.

Dutch manufactured it for Indonesia. It was not a success there. They brought it to West Africa, Ghana to be specific...it did not succeed. Yorubas put ankara to world stage via ASO EBI.

Back when owambe was owambe, in the 70s, Im looking at my grandma picture on the wall in her velvet and gold jewelries and grandpa in his damask as i type. grin. Back when party happened every weekend in Palmgrove, Isale Eko, Epetedo, Lafiaji, Ilubirin, Surulere, Shitta, Eko Club, Shell Club, Lagos Island Club, Lagos Tennis Club, Mushin, Yaba, Ebute Meta, ..... back when Shagamu, Ijebu Ode, Ayetoro, ....

Mr Man, una don spoil Yorubaland for us!

Back when my people go party and block five roads just for one party, and you have three or four live bands there entertaining...which kind food you want, which kind drinks, campari sef na free pick which bottle you want.

Back then...Yoruba's choice of fabric for aso ebi is Sanyan, Etu and Alaari, Damask, Velvet, Lace, Satin, Guinea. Nobody dey wear ankara go party. Who wear lace pass Yoruba? We get am for different color and pattern and each has its own name. Yorubaland don baje nau, e no dey like before. How about damask, we get different pattern and shades. So for velvet. You go see velvet for soyoyo body your blood go hot as you go see say the baby set well well.

We dey wear ankara for Yorubaland before civil war sef...but like I said go look at Yoruba picture in the 60s and see if you spot anybody put ankara for body take snap picture. Ankara na play cloth, na something mommy go wear because she dey kitchen and no wan soil her good clothes. Shey u get?

When textile importation tight and economy don baje it became hard to get damask and lace and other expensive stuffs. I no even mention gele sef. That one is a whole book on its own. But as importation and economy and crime spoilt everything, buying expensive and wearing expensive to party lost its taste. Yoruba will never stop owambe...never never never never, and aso ebi will never ever ever stop either...but we reinvented the scene.

Its true we did not invent it but each ethnic group can be differentiated in the motif and pattern of ankara worn by them. If you look around today what you see are the Yoruba patterns. We reinvented ankara and made it the preferred stock of aso ebi.

Yorubas have also been very stylish. We put styles in ankara that no one ever thought of....we turned it from street hawkers wear and took into the corporate rooms.

We put ankara on the catwalk...you hear me? Ankara is what it is today because of Yoruba cultural influence. Even Hausa that does not wear ankara have bought into it and are wearing it now. Ibo has taken it to another level by turning it into a billboard. grin

I hope I answered your question.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"There Is No Way Atiku Can Defeat President Buhari In 2019" - Tony Momoh / Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK): Nigerian Army Renames Operation In The North East / T.b. Joshua: There Was A Man I Knew By Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.