Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level (21574 Views)

Ibos React With Hashtags / Supreme Court Victory: Women In Aso Ebi Welcome Akwa Ibom PDP Chairman / Ibos Are Scared Of Leaving Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 10:08am On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Ok, let me give you the chronology.

Dutch manufactured it for Indonesia. It was not a success there. They brought it to West Africa, Ghana to be specific...it did not succeed. Yorubas put ankara to world stage via ASO EBI.

Back when owambe was owambe, in the 70s, Im looking at my grandma picture on the wall in her velvet and gold jewelries and grandpa in his damask as i type. grin. Back when party happened every weekend in Palmgrove, Isale Eko, Epetedo, Lafiaji, Ilubirin, Surulere, Shitta, Eko Club, Shell Club, Lagos Island Club, Lagos Tennis Club, Mushin, Yaba, Ebute Meta, ..... back when Shagamu, Ijebu Ode, Ayetoro, ....

Mr Man, una don spoil Yorubaland for us!

Back when my people go party and block five roads just for one party, and you have three or four live bands there entertaining...which kind food you want, which kind drinks, campari sef na free pick which bottle you want.

Back then...Yoruba's choice of fabric for aso ebi is Sanyan, Etu and Alaari, Damask, Velvet, Lace, Satin, Guinea. Nobody dey wear ankara go party. Who wear lace pass Yoruba? We get am for different color and pattern and each has its own name. Yorubaland don baje nau, e no dey like before. How about damask, we get different pattern and shades. So for velvet. You go see velvet for soyoyo body your blood go hot as you go see say the baby set well well.

We dey wear ankara for Yorubaland before civil war sef...but like I said go look at Yoruba picture in the 60s and see if you spot anybody put ankara for body take snap picture. Ankara na play cloth, na something mommy go wear because she dey kitchen and no wan soil her good clothes. Shey u get?

When textile importation tight and economy don baje it became hard to get damask and lace and other expensive stuffs. I no even mention gele sef. That one is a whole book on its own. But as importation and economy and crime spoilt everything, buying expensive and wearing expensive to party lost its taste. Yoruba will never stop owambe...never never never never, and aso ebi will never ever ever stop either...but we reinvented the scene.

Its true we did not invent it but each ethnic group can be differentiated in the motif and pattern of ankara worn by them. If you look around today what you see are the Yoruba patterns. We reinvented ankara and made it the preferred stock of aso ebi.

Yorubas have also been very stylish. We put styles in ankara that no one ever thought of....we turned it from street hawkers wear and took into the corporate rooms.

We put ankara on the catwalk...you hear me? Ankara is what it is today because of Yoruba cultural influence. Even Hausa that does not wear ankara have bought into it and are wearing it now. Ibo has taken it to another level by turning it into a billboard. grin

I hope I answered your question.

Didn't read that.
Another pile of Yoruba falsehood and propaganda.
I think I would pass.
Ankara remains an Indonesian invention, modified and re introduced into West Africa by the Europeans.
It had nothing to do with Yorubas.

My great grand mother lived all her life in Ogidi, and she had many "Akara" materials. She knew no Yoruba trash.

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:10am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

You need full psychological examination.
We are talking about Ankara, not Adure or whatever. Stay on topic.
Most Igbos don't know about your Adire, what we know and wear are Ankara.

same technology, wax print! One is batik process, the other is the tie process. Both uses wax to create negatives.

Even adire sef don join ankara on catwalk. After we tire for ankara we go jump back on adire now. grin

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Unimaginable123: 10:12am On Nov 26, 2016
Onijagidijagan:

Can u add it to Biafra land? even ojukcrook ur warlord did not and will never.
All ur properties in SW are our own grin grin Hahaha hahaha.

Y'all will be begging us at d end...cuz we've captured y'all completely.
Abeg just keep quiet
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:12am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Didn't read that.
Another pile of Yoruba falsehood and propaganda.
I think I would pass.
Ankara remains an Indonesian invention, modified and re introduced into West Africa by the Europeans.
It had nothing to do with Yorubas.

My great grand mother lived all her life in Ogidi, and she had many "Akara" materials. She knew no Yoruba trash.

grin grin
this thread is about Ibo taking ankara do billboard. Contribute to that. Why so many pictures on one person, na wetin happen?

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 10:14am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

Lmao! How is Akara an Ibo word?

I repeat that it's Yoruba crafts! Do tell me if the one displayed by the Op where some Ibo men were printed on the attire were brought in from Europe?

Yoruba started the art and are known to wear it. They may have incorporated some foreign techniques but it's still theirs!

Ankara is called "Akara" in Igbo language. It's still imported from abroad till this day.
" Ofulu ozu atu nkwe" is what we call it in Ogidi.
Anyone can print them these days. I figure there must be factories doing the printing of those pics on the Akara scattered all over Nigeria including Igboland these days.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 10:17am On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

same technology, wax print! One is batik process, the other is the tie process. Both uses wax to create negatives.

Even adire sef don join ankara on catwalk. After we tire for ankara we go jump back on adire now. grin

I don't know what is Adire and I honestly don't care to know, since it's Afonja related. I only know of Ankara, and Ankara remains an Indonesian- Dutch clothing invention.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:23am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

I don't know what is Adire and I honestly don't care to know, since it's Afonja related. I only know of Ankara, and Ankara remains an Indonesian- Dutch clothing invention.

Dont worry, when we reinvent adire your billboard crazed politicians will teach it to you. You shall wear an adire with picture Ojuku on the @$$, Kanu in front, Okorocha on one sleeve, Kaalu on the other, Nwobodo on the right knee and Ikpeazu on the left knee. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:27am On Nov 26, 2016
By the way since you dont know adire, hardly you know velvet. Here it is nicely adorned by, of course, Yoruba woman.

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 10:32am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Ankara is called "Akara" in Igbo language. It's still imported from abroad till this day.
Anyone can print them these days. I figure there must be factories doing the printing of those pics on the Akara scattered all over Nigeria including Igboland these days.

Lmao! Akara isn't an Ibo word!

As a matter of fact, we gave it that name because it's Yoruba who wore it, cos it's similar to our adire and now, we've modified/tailored our Adire to the style. Go to Ibadan and you would see several kind of Ankara made in the place!

Adire/Ankara is Yoruba's, not Ibos!

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by galeiiTNA: 10:38am On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Dont worry, when we reinvent adire your billboard crazed politicians will teach it to you. You shall wear an adire with picture Ojuku on the @$$, Kanu in front, Okorocha on one sleeve, Kaalu on the other, Nwobodo on the right knee and Ikpeazu on the left knee. cool

Ankara is Dutch. Go back to wearing leaves that your likes wore before colonization
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by galeiiTNA: 10:42am On Nov 26, 2016
Sanchez01:

Ignorantly? Not in the least of ways! I'm Urhobo and I know we don't come close to the Benins and Edos when it comes to beads.

Google should help you as well.

Bini is an irrelevant, 1 state enclave
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by galeiiTNA: 10:45am On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

Lmao!

Just accept that you goofed!

Ankara/adire is Yoruba art copying the Dutch. As simple as ABC!
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 11:09am On Nov 26, 2016
galeiiTNA:

Ankara is Dutch. Go back to wearing leaves that your likes wore before colonization

dont make me vex load pictures of your fathers in Onitsha shortly after amalgamation. Its not pretty! grin

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 12:03pm On Nov 26, 2016
AjiereTuwo:
Is obiano soliciting for yoruba votes in anambra?

Guy, thanks for those pictures. You just hit the nail on the head. You can see that the Igbo bride there is wearing the Edo/Bini head dress called the Okuku. Even the man beside her holding the fan (who I assume is the bridegroom) is wearing a 'danshiki', which is not even an Igbo attire! cheesy

Like I keep asking, someone should show me the authentic Igbo bridal attire. What exactly does it look like?? shocked

Kagawa10:
Lmao! Akara isn't an Ibo word!
As a matter of fact, we gave it that name because it's Yoruba who wore it, cos it's similar to our adire and now, we've modified/tailored our Adire to the style. Go to Ibadan and you would see several kind of Ankara made in the place!
Adire/Ankara is Yoruba's, not Ibos!

Egbon, I agree that the Yoruba have adopted and popularised the Ankara, to the extent that they can now lay some claim of 'ownership' to it. Even when the textile mills in Lagos, Ibadan etc., were running, many of them were producing & churning out Ankara fabric by the dozen. Till today, Dangote's Textile Mills located in the South West still produces local Ankara fabric. cheesy

But in truth, Ankara or Dutch wax originated from Indonesia, even though it never gained ground over there. Do you remember the 'Hollandis Dutch wax that was so popular at one time? It was imported and was never produced here, even though its greatest buyers were here. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 12:07pm On Nov 26, 2016
laudate:

Guy, thanks for those pictures. You just hit the nail on the head. You can see that the Igbo bride there is wearing the Edo/Bini head dress called the Okuku. Even the man beside her holding the fan (who I assume is the bridegroom) is wearing a 'danshiki', which is not even an Igbo attire! cheesy

Like I keep asking, someone should show me the authentic Igbo bridal attire. What exactly does it look like?? shocked

Egbon, I agree that the Yoruba have adopted and popularised the Ankara, to the extent that they can now lay some claim of 'ownership' to it. Even when the textile mills in Lagos, Ibadan etc., were running, many of them were producing & churning out Ankara fabric by the dozen. Till today, Dangote's Textile Mills located in the South West still produces local Ankara fabric. cheesy

But in truth, Ankara or Dutch wax originated from Indonesia, even though it never gained ground over there. Do you remember the 'Hollandis Dutch wax that was so popular at one time? It was imported and was never produced here, even though its greatest buyers were here. cheesy

The dutch wax has little different to how Adire is made. The fact that we found something similar to our style and incorporated the style to make ours look modern doesn't negate the fact that we've been practising such style since time memorial! We gave the name Ankara to the cloth for crying out loud!

Dangote textile mill churning out Ankara is located in the SW, because we were the first to love it and incorporate the style!

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 12:12pm On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Dutch manufactured it for Indonesia. It was not a success there. They brought it to West Africa, Ghana to be specific...it did not succeed. Yorubas put ankara to world stage via ASO EBI.

Back when owambe was owambe, in the 70s, Im looking at my grandma picture on the wall in her velvet and gold jewelries and grandpa in his damask as i type. grin. Back when party happened every weekend in Palmgrove, Isale Eko, Epetedo, Lafiaji, Ilubirin, Surulere, Shitta, Eko Club, Shell Club, Lagos Island Club, Lagos Tennis Club, Mushin, Yaba, Ebute Meta, ..... back when Shagamu, Ijebu Ode, Ayetoro, ....

Mr Man, una don spoil Yorubaland for us!

Back when my people go party and block five roads just for one party, and you have three or four live bands there entertaining...which kind food you want, which kind drinks, campari sef na free pick which bottle you want.

Back then...Yoruba's choice of fabric for aso ebi is Sanyan, Etu and Alaari, Damask, Velvet, Lace, Satin, Guinea. Nobody dey wear ankara go party. Who wear lace pass Yoruba? We get am for different color and pattern and each has its own name. Yorubaland don baje nau, e no dey like before. How about damask, we get different pattern and shades. So for velvet. You go see velvet for soyoyo body your blood go hot as you go see say the baby set well well.

We dey wear ankara for Yorubaland before civil war sef...but like I said go look at Yoruba picture in the 60s and see if you spot anybody put ankara for body take snap picture. Ankara na play cloth, na something mommy go wear because she dey kitchen and no wan soil her good clothes. Shey u get?

When textile importation tight and economy don baje it became hard to get damask and lace and other expensive stuffs. I no even mention gele sef. That one is a whole book on its own. But as importation and economy and crime spoilt everything, buying expensive and wearing expensive to party lost its taste. Yoruba will never stop owambe...never never never never, and aso ebi will never ever ever stop either...but we reinvented the scene.

Its true we did not invent it but each ethnic group can be differentiated in the motif and pattern of ankara worn by them. If you look around today what you see are the Yoruba patterns. We reinvented ankara and made it the preferred stock of aso ebi.

Yorubas have also been very stylish. We put styles in ankara that no one ever thought of ....we turned it from street hawkers wear and took into the corporate rooms.

We put ankara on the catwalk...you hear me? Ankara is what it is today because of Yoruba cultural influence. Even Hausa that does not wear ankara have bought into it and are wearing it now. Ibo has taken it to another level by turning it into a billboard. grin

I hope I answered your question.

Wow! shocked Great analysis. Thanks for the history lesson, sir! More respect. cheesy I grew up in Lagos and I can certainly remember the Owambe parties thrown by our neighbours and family friends, as well as the blocking of streets & live bands.

Do you remember the spraying of naira notes on celebrants, dancing in front of the bandstand?? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 12:25pm On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:
The dutch wax has little different to how Adire is made. The fact that we found something similar to our style and incorporated the style to make ours look modern doesn't negate the fact that we've been practising such style since time memorial! We gave the name Ankara to the cloth for crying out loud!

Dangote textile mill churning out Ankara is located in the SW, because we were the first to love it and incorporate the style!

Egbon, well you are right to a large extent, but like OPCNairaland stated, Ankara actually originated abroad. undecided

OPCNAIRALAND:

Adire itself is a different kind of fabric, (i.e. tie-and-dye) which originated in Yoruba land. It was manufactured locally, and is still being made in many communities in the South-West, even as we speak. In fact, in Abeokuta around the Itoku area where I did a project a few years ago, I discovered entire families spanning different generations involved in the art (e.g. mother, daughter, sisters, daughters-in-law, female grandchildren etc.) cheesy

Now due to the fashion-conscious attitude of Nigerian women, Adire too has been expanded to reach the world's fashion stage! wink Do you remember artistes like Nike Okundaye? She, along with a large number of local designers, popularised Adire in the West to the extent that it now has a cult following on the international runways! And that is what can be seen in your pictures. grin

As for Ankara, yes, the Yorubas popularised it and many textile mills in the South-West produced it to meet local demand, before those textile mills went out of business, due to the harsh operating environment. Now, Ankara is being manufactured in Chinese factories and imported into Nigeria, and it is still cheaper than the ones produced locally, even though their quality is not as good. sad

At what point did the manufacturing patterns of Ankara and Adire merge? Well, I really do not know. Maybe fashion designers can tell us. But what I do know, is that Ankara is well-loved in the South-West and other parts of the country, and it is unlikely to depart from our fashion lexicon, anytime soon.

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by Kagawa10: 12:43pm On Nov 26, 2016
laudate:

Egbon, well you are right to a large extent, but like OPCNairaland stated, Ankara actually originated abroad. undecided

Adire itself is a different kind of fabric, (i.e. tie-and-dye) which originated in Yoruba land. It was manufactured locally, and is still being made in many communities in the South-West, even as we speak. In fact, in Abeokuta around the Itoku area where I did a project a few years ago, I discovered entire families spanning different generations involved in the art (e.g. mother, daughter, sisters, daughters-in-law, female grandchildren etc.) cheesy

Now due to the fashion-conscious attitude of Nigerian women, Adire too has been expanded to reach the world's fashion stage! wink Do you remember artistes like Nike Okundaye? She, along with a large number of local designers, popularised Adire in the West to the extent that it now has a cult following on the international runways! And that is what can be seen in your pictures. grin

As for Ankara, yes, the Yorubas popularised it and many textile mills in the South-West produced it to meet local demand, before those textile mills went out of business, due to the harsh operating environment. Now, Ankara is being manufactured in Chinese factories and imported into Nigeria, and it is still cheaper than the ones produced locally, even though their quality is not as good. sad

At what point did the manufacturing patterns of Ankara and Adire merge? Well, I really do not know. Maybe fashion designers can tell us. But what I do know, is that Ankara is well-loved in the South-West and other parts of the country, and it is unlikely to depart from our fashion lexicon, anytime soon.

Adire uses Wax print in order to give it the desired pattern, just like Ankara uses Wax!

That said, the Dutch wax print may have been been brought from overseas but Yoruba were the first to accept it and gave it a name because it looks similar to the local we're have here! Ankara simply means different patterns/colours!

Now, we've incorporated the style into our local ones and has started to produce it!

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by loopmangoat(m): 1:29pm On Nov 26, 2016
olaitoro:

how does that stops lagos and its environ from being a no mans land.
Fitting reply
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by laudate: 3:12pm On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:
Adire uses Wax print in order to give it the desired pattern, just like Ankara uses Wax!

That said, the Dutch wax print may have been been brought from overseas but Yoruba were the first to accept it and gave it a name because it looks similar to the local we're have here! Ankara simply means different patterns/colours!

Now, we've incorporated the style into our local ones and has started to produce it!

Well like I said earlier, I don't know when the Adire pattern of manufacturing merged with the Ankara method of production .

At the time the material was produced abroad and imported to Nigeria, it was actually known as Dutch Wax or Batik. But the local population gave it the name 'Ankara.' And it was made popular by the Yoruba because of their aso-ebi culture. wink

Different Igbo communities did not really subscribe to the aso-ebi culture in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Everyone could wear any individual piece, or different pattern of cloth they had, to any event in those days. But since the late 80s and through the 90s till date, their women's groups started making it a common uniform for church events and community activities, with their double wrappers. undecided George fabrics had become expensive, so ankara was now a cheaper alternative. undecided

However, it was the Yoruba that would buy huge bundles of the stuff and cut it into 5-yards length, to give to friends and families for their aso-ebi outfit. Such outfits were then worn en-masse to functions, celebrations and events in the South-West. My late grandmum's sister was a merchant who shuttled between the Middle-Belt & Lagos in the past, with a huge stock of Hollandais Dutch Wax (imported by John Holt in those days) which she sold to Yoruba woman who bought the fabric in bulk, to be used as aso-ebi for their family gatherings & celebrations. cheesy

So yes, I agree that the Yoruba made it popular. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by ezeagu(m): 7:14pm On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
To pazienza and ezeagu,
In all of colonial England, Manchester and Liverpool were singularly famous for their wool and cotton industries. There is nobody and nowhere in Europe that grows cotton but all over the globe English cotton and wool was a popular and best brand.

Do you know who was the single major supplier of cotton to Liverpool and Manchester? Let's start from this foundation before I give you instruction on the root of ankara and other fabrics connected with Yoruba culture.

Go and read up on the cotton growers of Yorubaland first and get some sense and sober up.

You need to know the footprint of Yoruba antiquity and its contributions and influence on popular culture and fashion around the globe.

I really hope you're not suggesting "Yorubaland" was supplying the bulk of cotton in Liverpool and Manchester and not the slave-holding Southern United States.

What we're talking about here isn't ankara, because we know that that was a result of a failed European mission to copy and destroy the Indonesian batik industry that took a turn and became popular in (west) Africa.

No, what we're talking about here in general is the styling of 'aso ebi' and so on.

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by ezeagu(m): 7:16pm On Nov 26, 2016
Kagawa10:

You're confirming a stereotype...

Wax prints existed all over Nigeria and the process of making batik is much different and more superior to simple indigo on white cotton tie and dye. Please look up Indonesian batik, furthermore ankara is printed.

2 Likes

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:51pm On Nov 26, 2016
laudate:

Laudate,
True statement! The Dutch producers have Yoruba to thank for where ankara is today in world market, especially when ankara is competing with silk and wool for recognition and awards in fashion styling and quality.

On Ibo traditional marriage wear for women you will not find anything older than, perharps 1980, online. It is as if photography was a forbidden practice among them. Post 1980, they have migrated and settled into other non-Ibo cultures and assimilated habits and cultures of their hosts.

For marriage their men dropped the george wrapper and that monotone black dress with prints of tiger, ivory and sometimes alligator, they also dropped the red knit hat that droops over the ears. Ibomen began wearing sokoto, buba, danshiki, gbariye, agbada, they now wore lace, aso oke, guinea, satin, they wore red caps on head now. For the women they abandoned their two tiered george wrapper, the simple high sleeve white blouse is gone and with it they also abandoned their simple scarf or head tie. Ibo women jewelries were mostly metal plates and ivory. Traditionally they did not wear beads. Now they dress in iro and flared arm length buba with deliciously scandalous gele, or they will dress in shape hugging maxi and with plenty of red beads. Genevive should be given credit for giving Ibo women a new cultural look. Pictures of her dressed like an Edo woman was recycled over and over for many years on internet to showcase Ibo beauty and style. She bridged the make over of Ibo women assimilating into Edo wedding styles. Thos who settled in Yorubaland bridged the gaps for their assimilation into Yoruba wedding styles and even everyday wear. You go to political rally in SE today and everyone is styled out like its Yorubaland, no sign of george wrapper, no ear drooped knit hat, no monotone black gown.

If you go online you can classify Ibo pictures into three groups
1 - the dark age when they lived in n.aked.ness with metal tubes on feet and ivory around neck. The best impression is their nice hairdo, everything else is primitive.

2. The civil service years when they dressed in borrowed styles from Efik and Ibibio (tthe george wrapper, tunic, knitted hat). For work they dress in suits and tie.

3. The exodus years. Wearing assimilated styles from delta people, edo people, yoruba people.

I found no clothing style in Ibo culture, whether in casual or formal, that is indigenously Igbo-grown. Likewise I cant find any non-Ibo culture that has borrowed and styled itself in Ibo traditional wears.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by IkpuMmadu: 10:38pm On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Their psychosis is deteriorating by the day.

I wonder what happened to logicality

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by IkpuMmadu: 10:40pm On Nov 26, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Laudate,
True statement! The Dutch producers have Yoruba to thank for where ankara is today in world market, especially when ankara is competing with silk and wool for recognition and awards in fashion styling and quality.

On Ibo traditional marriage wear for women you will not find anything older than, perharps 1980, online. It is as if photography was a forbidden practice among them. Post 1980, they have migrated and settled into other non-Ibo cultures and assimilated habits and cultures of their hosts.

For marriage their men dropped the george wrapper and that monotone black dress with prints of tiger, ivory and sometimes alligator, they also dropped the red knit hat that droops over the ears. Ibomen began wearing sokoto, buba, danshiki, gbariye, agbada, they now wore lace, aso oke, guinea, satin, they wore red caps on head now. For the women they abandoned their two tiered george wrapper, the simple high sleeve white blouse is gone and with it they also abandoned their simple scarf or head tie. Ibo women jewelries were mostly metal plates and ivory. Traditionally they did not wear beads. Now they dress in iro and flared arm length buba with deliciously scandalous gele, or they will dress in shape hugging maxi and with plenty of red beads. Genevive should be given credit for giving Ibo women a new cultural look. Pictures of her dressed like an Edo woman was recycled over and over for many years on internet to showcase Ibo beauty and style. She bridged the make over of Ibo women assimilating into Edo wedding styles. Thos who settled in Yorubaland bridged the gaps for their assimilation into Yoruba wedding styles and even everyday wear. You go to political rally in SE today and everyone is styled out like its Yorubaland, no sign of george wrapper, no ear drooped knit hat, no monotone black gown.

If you go online you can classify Ibo pictures into three groups
1 - the dark age when they lived in n.aked.ness with metal tubes on feet and ivory around neck. The best impression is their nice hairdo, everything else is primitive.

2. The civil service years when they dressed in borrowed styles from Efik and Ibibio (tthe george wrapper, tunic, knitted hat). For work they dress in suits and tie.

3. The exodus years. Wearing assimilated styles from delta people, edo people, yoruba people.

I found no clothing style in Ibo culture, whether in casual or formal, that is indigenously Igbo-grown. Likewise I cant find any non-Ibo culture that has borrowed and styled itself in Ibo traditional wears.

Is that so ?

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by IkpuMmadu: 10:42pm On Nov 26, 2016
What yoruba call Ankara is what Igbo call abada. O can't remember Yoruba owing Ankara that was produced by her Holland

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by IkpuMmadu: 10:45pm On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

It's called Abada in Igbo land....

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 11:46pm On Nov 26, 2016
ezeagu:

I really hope you're not suggesting "Yorubaland" was supplying the bulk of cotton in Liverpool and Manchester and not the slave-holding Southern United States.

What we're talking about here isn't ankara, because we know that that was a result of a failed European mission to copy and destroy the Indonesian batik industry that took a turn and became popular in (west) Africa.

No, what we're talking about here in general is the styling of 'aso ebi' and so on.

Yoruba was in competition with the cotton belt of United States but is no way we could match their output considering they have advantage of mechanized farming and also from Texas to Georgia is four or more times larger than the farmlands of Yorubaland. No, we could not match them in tonnage or volume. There was a treaty between United States and Yorubaland that pre-existed the one with England. US, through an agent that visited and studied Yorubaland had signed treaty with Abeokuta with the vision of resettling skilled negroes with machineries to increase output. It never happened and England took note of it and made sure that treaty was nulled to avoid conflict in trade interests.

On aso ebi and styling, there is no aso ebi without owambe, and there is no owambe without aso ebi. Nowadays it is just a simple fila or gele, still, the concept is to associate and bond for blood and community.

OWAMBE on its own is an INDUSTRY!

In Ibadan they wear their hats different than in Okitipupa, different than Ilaro, different than Ijebu Ode, different than Offa, different than in Ede and different than in Isolo. So someone from Isolo go to party in Offa and sees their hat and its style. He brings it home and on next outing wears his hat like that. Others in Isolo see it and took to it. A person travels from Ijebu to Okene for owambe and brings back the styling of their hat and start wearing it. Others in Ijebu see it, like it and popularize it. So amongst us and our various owambes we copied, perfected and evolved the multitude of styles you see it out there. There are thousands of styles in Yoruba outfitting, some of which was short lived before it was overtaken by another more popular. If our tailors, drapers, haberdashers, fitters could all get together in conjunctiin with our socialites and catalogue the different syles in fabric, in color, in pattern, design, fitting and put all these knowledge down for posterity it would be a great legacy. In fact there are certain designs of fitting that certain fabrics are not compatible with....it will not come out right when finished. So there is calculation that goes into what the goal is what materials and skills need to be put into accomplishing the goal. In owambes the musicians are observing and have scouts that go into the party looking for people in aso ebi who they can use to promote their own brand, and they target those who are tidy (dapper) and sing their praises and force them to front in answer to the praise. So even though everyone in aso ebi, there is competition to invoke something unique that makes it dapper and earn you a praise song...or perharps a beautiful chick. grin

So styling of aso ebi regardless of what material is used, has its root in Yorubaland and its evolution is also made possible by Yoruba but others have also assimilated into our owambe and aso ebi culture and put their own signature on their styles. That is the case with the opening pics in the thread with those walking billboards.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 12:06am On Nov 27, 2016
Where is pazienza, feed your eyes on these pictures.

The first one and second picture you see beside the nice yummy brea.sts for good squeeze and suck and their hairdo nothing else on the girls in this Igbo picture is impressive. Look at their feet and the metal plates. You also see some ivory on them but no coral beads.

The third picture is an Igbo woman taken in the 60s, (sixties) you see the george and the blouse. No beads, no gele, no buba.

The fourth picture is a Yoruba woman taken in the 50s (fifties). You see she wore velvet, in different style to the one I posted earlier. For this and the earlier Yoruba woman you see the elaborate adornment with gold jewelries on ears, around neck, on wrist and fingers. It is easy as well to tell class, civilization and beauty. If the lady in second picture had been wearing english gown and not iro and buba it would be impossible to identify as Yoruba because of the setting and style....sophisticated!
Im sure you heard that word before. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by MrSly(m): 12:17am On Nov 27, 2016
PenSniper:

That is delusional. It has nothing to do with dynamism.
When you have no defined culture germaine to your society, the tendency is for you to copy the cultures of others.

Yorubas and Hausas have no reason to parrot your "culture" since they already know its partly copied from them and they are proud of their rich cultures anyway.
Ethnic ignoramus. I am sure that you never attended any meaningful education, less your teacher would have taught you that culture is dynamic.
Yoruba and awusa are too dull to learn. So let the Igbo's be. They are really the smartest in Nigeria. Quote me anywhere. Even the Western world know this too.
Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by pazienza(m): 8:42am On Nov 27, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
Where is pazienza, feed your eyes on these pictures.

The first one and second picture you see beside the nice yummy brea.sts for good squeeze and suck and their hairdo nothing else on the girls in this Igbo picture is impressive. Look at their feet and the metal plates. You also see some ivory on them but no coral beads.

The third picture is an Igbo woman taken in the 60s, (sixties) you see the george and the blouse. No beads, no gele, no buba.

The fourth picture is a Yoruba woman taken in the 50s (fifties). You see she wore velvet, in different style to the one I posted earlier. For this and the earlier Yoruba woman you see the elaborate adornment with gold jewelries on ears, around neck, on wrist and fingers. It is easy as well to tell class, civilization and beauty. If the lady in second picture had been wearing english gown and not iro and buba it would be impossible to identify as Yoruba because of the setting and style....sophisticated!
Im sure you heard that word before. grin

Trash. Same pile of crap.
See a pre independent Nigerian picture of an Igbo woman that was taken in Onitsha.
See the those corals?
Different parts of Igboland evolved differently, independent of other parts.

1 Like

Re: Ibos Take Aso Ebi To Another Level by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:46am On Nov 27, 2016
pazienza:

Trash. Same pile of crap.
See a pre independent Nigerian picture of an Igbo woman that was taken in Onitsha.
See the those corals?
Different parts of Igboland evolved differently, independent of other parts.

This picture highlights the problem I outlined earlier in regards to traditional Ibo clothing and style.

This woman wears damask, but we know damask is not an Ibo material. She has beads but we also know thats not an Ibo jewelry. Mention damask and we know you are talking about Yoruba, mention coral beads and we knoq you are referring to Edo and proto Edo culturea.

So what explains why this Igbo woman is wearing outfits that are foreign to Ibo culture? Is this another evidence of acculturation or assimilation and borrowing of foreign clothings and style?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari / Nigeria Police Responds To Senate Resolution On IGP / Tony Blair Holds Diplomatic Talks With Tinubu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.