Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos (54497 Views)

Teachers Sent To Prison For Shaving Pupil’s Hair / UNILAG Prof. Daramola Flogging Student Who Came Late To His Class Yesterday / DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Onegai(f): 7:44pm On Nov 28, 2016
Schools run by people who are in Education to make money, filled with teachers who are people who could not find jobs elsewhere. They will find someone to pour their frustrations out on.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by kidsam: 7:45pm On Nov 28, 2016
So because your duty is to discipline a child, it means you must draw blood from the child. Why did he not come to school the following day, I guess he came and the school was shielding him.
Next time he will know that he is a custodian of his students, to protect them, nurture them, guide them and not to scar them.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by dollyptunde: 7:52pm On Nov 28, 2016
sekundosekundo:
I presume, the Afonja teacher was saying, 'you Igbo' while flogging her on the head. Let him remain in kirikiri.

grin can't stop laughing

2 Likes

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by andyanders: 7:52pm On Nov 28, 2016
For me, I would have done the worse to the teacher and the headmaster or whatever he calls himself. Cannot wait to set my eyes on the said teacher and then he can now tell me straight to my eyes that he has right to inflict such injury to my daughter.

Well, only the family can stomach this. For me, I MUST seek for a pond of his flesh.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by mich24(m): 7:56pm On Nov 28, 2016
Check well that corn head Afonja is a nairalander, it serves him better
sekundosekundo:
I presume, the Afonja teacher was saying, 'you Igbo' while flogging her on the head. Let him remain in kirikiri.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Compliant(m): 7:57pm On Nov 28, 2016
The teacher did the wrong thing by flogging the student on the head BUT we also need to caution the child .

Back then in my secondary sch ( military sch ) , one of our teacher ( army) flog me to the point in which I painted and was ruched to the sick bay ( just because my name was on the list of noice maker)

My dad being a military officer said i was guilty . LOL
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by abimic(m): 8:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
And they came to the school with thugs the following day and they didn't slap pastor Rotimi in his face with those nonsense he was vomiting, had they slapped his face, his brain would have being properly positioned to think rightly. Who bail don epp, that it's a private school should even make a weighty punishment be landed on the Mr. adesina and the school herself to serve as a deterrent to others trying to toll that part. Even government schools hardly behave that way. That man, the school needed be dealt with out of court, court would just be to top it and the school should be closed down for months for being impenitent.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by yetseyi(f): 8:06pm On Nov 28, 2016
Well teachers should stop disciplining then, let the students continue with their indiscipline abeg, I dont support flogging on the head or even disciplining out of anger. I do believe the teacher went to far, its either buttocks or palm.He shouldn't have allowed his emotions to come in.

If I am a teacher in our local schools with the way things are going - you mess up, I try to correct you verbally, you throw tantrums I send you out or to the back of my class simple, let your parents discipline you how they deem fit when you get home.

I think all forms of discipline or punishment should be scrapped totally let the children be left to behave how they deem fit and lets see the results it will yield.

Still waiting for the day a Command Day teacher will be arrested for flogging.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by MrPricha(m): 8:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
JonSnow:
Stvpid afonja! He should also be flogged on the head every morning for the duration of his jail time! angry

very correct jare
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Caveatemptor(m): 8:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Nigeria is a violent country.
Our educational system is built on teaching through violence and it did not start today. Bullying or beating up children does not make them more intelligent or disciplined in my humble opinion.
I am old school and attended a missionary school back in the seventies,but the beatings we endured back in those days make this story seem a child's play. Not that this story is right. I will give examples of the kind of child abuse we endured in those days and you dare not report to your parents back then. You took your punishment and licked the wounds inflicted on you.

1.In the seventies,General Olusegun Obasanjo,as military head of state deployed soldiers to all schools in Lagos to maintain discipline. The soldier deployed to my school was a burly and tough staff Sergent named Riro. He was always dressed in a green and white track suit and welded a giant water came. If you came late to school,it was better if you went back home because 24 strokes of cane was guaranteed if Sergent Riro got hold of you. At times if students did not meekly take the strokes of cane,Riro would go physical with the student,dropping his cane and punching students. Imagine a mature soldier throwing jabs,left hooks and upper cuts at a student in form four or five. In fact on a certain day he cracked a blow on a student's jaw and the boy fainted. Teachers had to rush the student to the General hospital on Broad street(then Taking Gown street)after reviving him with water.

2..There was also a female teacher that used to abuse students both physically and verbally. If you committed an offence she would sit on a high chair,grab your two ears with her long nails and dig into your ears violently until you fell to your knees between her laps,all the time her finger nails were digging deep wounds into your ears,until your head was between her laps peering at her underwear. Then she starts the verbal abuse.
"Useless child, God has punished you today. So you are looking at my pants abi? Have you seen it? Do you like it?"
Then she would let go of your burning ears and deliver a smack with her open palm to your back.
Violence is a Nigerian culture in my opinion and the educational system is part of Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by gemale(m): 8:14pm On Nov 28, 2016
ransomed:
::-- She did not report the issue to the school management but went home to call her bouncers who inturn brought police. The teacher may serve jail term but, i am sure her brothers cannot teach her and they even posted her picture for the world to see. No school administrator either private or public wants an indisciplined and egoistic student in their school. They see such as bad egg. The teacher made a mistake but locking the teacher up will send the wrong message to that little girl that might affect her later in life.
Wetin b mistake? Beating a harmless child 2 D point of inflicting a head injury on her? In law, deres nothing lyk mistake & wt he just did was child abuse & grievous bodily harm. Let him go & flex d muscles he used 2 injure d child 4 d pple in cell. Wt d child did wasn't even terrible. A simple verbal rebuke or seizing d note she was copying & repeating wt he said b4 wld hv solved d issue. U r blaming d child 4 reporting d teacher 2 her family members? U wntd her 2 cover up 4 d teacher? Who else shld she hv reported 2? 4rm wt op posted. D family members (nt bouncers) went 2 skul d next day 2 confront d teacher bt d coward went AWOL. Since d skul wasn't being sufficiently reasonable, dey did d ryt thing by involving d police. Dts is called allowing d law take its natural course nt taking laws in2 ones hands. Even if d girl has 2 switch skuls & repeat a class, I blv dt d ryt course of action was undertaken by her family. We hv 2 end ds madness dt permits d enactment of violence against harmless children. Children wld b children & wld @ some point in their lives exhibit mischief. It is up 2 b d adults 2 act lyk d mature beings dey r supposed 2 b & correct d child wt out resorting 2 violence & physical abuse. I blv dt d main lesson a child learns while being beaten is dt violence solves evrytn & might is right. D main reason I tnk we love beating children is because it presents an easy fix. It is very easy 2 hit an erring child; wt isn't easy is looking 4 more humane alternatives in child rearing & making sure dt we live lives dt our children wld love 2 imitate because children tend 2 do wt dey c d grownups around dem do nt wt dey say.

2 Likes

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by kings09(m): 8:16pm On Nov 28, 2016
So dat by 20, she z done wit university n can fit in d job requirement of companies looking for graduate recruits wit a max age of 22 n 10yrs wrk experience of
NaLaugh:
Teachers (particularly in poorer schools) are some of the most sadistic people in society.

But wait, I graduated high school at 16, and thought that was early.
If she is 14 in SS3, then she was about 8 in JSS1. Isn't that somewhat of a rush? (except she's unusually smart).

2 Likes

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by uzolexis(f): 8:21pm On Nov 28, 2016
grafixdon:
We're gradually destroying discipline in our schools. This is African. We should stop copying every thing from West. Although flogging in the head is bad but we should be careful

Africans always use the excuse of African culture to justify rubbish. Studies have shown countless times that corporal punishment has the opposite effect of what we expect. It does not instil discipline, I'm not ruling out corporal punishment entirely but it should be reduced to the barest minimum.There are other ways to correct a child.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
Arant nonsense! Do you now want to tell me that there is no law backing a Teacher in effecting corporal discipline on student? What a lawless ignoble nation we are living in.....

1 Like

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by MrPricha(m): 8:23pm On Nov 28, 2016
be like my vp back then who rib-catch and stone students on the wall as punishment.......
D thunder dat will fire him is still rumbling angry angry angry
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by uzolexis(f): 8:25pm On Nov 28, 2016
ransomed:
::-- She did not report the issue to the school management but went home to call her bouncers who inturn brought police. The teacher may serve jail term but, i am sure her brothers cannot teach her and they even posted her picture for the world to see. No school administrator either private or public wants an indisciplined and egoistic student in their school. They see such as bad egg. The teacher made a mistake but locking the teacher up will send the wrong message to that little girl that might affect her later in life.

Locking up the teacher will send a message to all other teachers. why would it send a bad message to girl later in life for christ sake, why are you guys supporting child abuse, flogging her on the head to the point where she was bleeding, do you know what that could have led to brain damage, loss of sight even death in extreme cases, what are you even saying angry angry
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by cybriz82(m): 8:26pm On Nov 28, 2016
[quote author=NaLaugh post=51458024]Teachers (particularly in poorer schools) are some of the most sadistic people in society.

If she is 14 in SS3, then she was about 8 in JSS1. Isn't that somewhat of a rush? (except she's unusually smart).[/quote

dem for kukuma say she b 10yrs...

1 Like

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by uzolexis(f): 8:31pm On Nov 28, 2016
streetsoldier1:
y'all shouting the teacher deserve the punishment even much more, but u fail to consider that the child's future has just been jeoperdized by this singular act....her indiscipline wasnt addressed and i bet u she will continue elsewhere with same act..... fact# nothing can be achieved with indiscipline...i'm not in any way supporting the teacher

and the way to treat indiscipline is by flogging her till she bleeds. so in your world, the only way to address indiscipline is through child abuse, sorry for you.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by samsamgo: 8:35pm On Nov 28, 2016
This is serious.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Ishilove: 8:36pm On Nov 28, 2016
Caveatemptor:
Nigeria is a violent country.
Our educational system is built on teaching through violence and it did not start today. Bullying or beating up children does not make them more intelligent or disciplined in my humble opinion.
I am old school and attended a missionary school back in the seventies,but the beatings we endured back in those days make this story seem a child's play. Not that this story is right. I will give examples of the kind of child abuse we endured in those days and you dare not report to your parents back then. You took your punishment and licked the wounds inflicted on you.

1.In the seventies,General Olusegun Obasanjo,as military head of state deployed soldiers to all schools in Lagos to maintain discipline. The soldier deployed to my school was a burly and tough staff Sergent named Riro. He was always dressed in a green and white track suit and welded a giant water came. If you came late to school,it was better if you went back home because 24 strokes of cane was guaranteed if Sergent Riro got hold of you. At times if students did not meekly take the strokes of cane,Riro would go physical with the student,dropping his cane and punching students. Imagine a mature soldier throwing jabs,left hooks and upper cuts at a student in form four or five. In fact on a certain day he cracked a blow on a student's jaw and the boy fainted. Teachers had to rush the student to the General hospital on Broad street(then Taking Gown street)after reviving him with water.

2..There was also a female teacher that used to abuse students both physically and verbally. If you committed an offence she would sit on a high chair,grab your two ears with her long nails and dig into your ears violently until you fell to your knees between her laps,all the time her finger nails were digging deep wounds into your ears,until your head was between her laps peering at her underwear. Then she starts the verbal abuse.
"Useless child, God has punished you today. So you are looking at my pants abi? Have you seen it? Do you like it?"
Then she would let go of your burning ears and deliver a smack with her open palm to your back.
Violence is a Nigerian culture in my opinion and the educational system is part of Nigeria
Egbon, so you were around in the 70s? Nawa o, I feel so young and helpless tongue grin
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Desafiar(m): 8:44pm On Nov 28, 2016
NaLaugh:
Teachers (particularly in poorer schools) are some of the most sadistic people in society.

If she is 14 in SS3, then she was about 8 in JSS1. Isn't that somewhat of a rush? (except she's unusually smart).
How come she is 14 and in SSS3, she went through grade skipping?

Meanwhile, the person or lecturer that taught him that its his obligation and right to correct erring students by beating and punishment also needs to be arrested.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Alvino1(m): 8:45pm On Nov 28, 2016
Let this serve as a warning to every teacher out there that doesn't understand the idea behind flogging erring students.. I swear if anybody flogs my child (particularly my female child like that) I will fight the person with everything.. nd I mean everything... Rubbish... #LockTheBastardUpForLife..

#5iver...
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by yedidiah(m): 8:53pm On Nov 28, 2016
this only happens in private schools. I will never forget what they did to us in Command that year...
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by yedidiah(m): 8:56pm On Nov 28, 2016
Alvino1:

Let this serve as a warning to every teacher out there that doesn't understand the idea behind flogging erring students.. I swear if anybody flogs my child (particularly my female child like that) I will fight the person with everything.. nd I mean everything... Rubbish... #LockTheBastardUpForLife..

#5iver...
guy when I was in secondary school, a Jss1 student was flogged. He scaled the fence and went and reported to his dad. I am telling you that my Commandant then, ordered soldiers to job( frog jump) his dad before him. After that, they expelled the boy right there and told him to follow his dad home.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by sircrabo: 8:59pm On Nov 28, 2016
Rigolas:
D Parents can equally change school fr Their Daughter as if dats d only sch der.
afonjas are wicked
get Me an afonja and I'll not waste time to waste them
Dirty lazy beings

What do you stand to gain with ethnic bigottery why not face the issue at hand. yoruba this, ibo that. Na wa o.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Nuel25846(m): 9:02pm On Nov 28, 2016
The teacher wanna flog sense enter the girl.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by andyanders: 9:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
moffymichael:
Arant nonsense! Do you now want to tell me that there is no law backing a Teacher in effecting corporal discipline on student? What a lawless ignoble nation we are living in.....

Maybe you are one of them. What nonsense are you talking about here? So because he should discipline her, he should then inflict such an injury on a minor? I think you have lost your senses. If in the process of hitting or flogging her and she collapses and dies, you will now tell the parents that it was part of the school system to kill or discipline a child?

There are many ways to discipline a child and not by hitting the child on her/his head.Why not ask the child to either sweep the school compound of kneel down?

If I were to be her parents, I would have ended up reciprocating by getting back to the guy in a way he would in his life run from that his profession. A sane teacher do not flog children that way.

He is a madman and the school owner is of an undeveloped mind.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Killurself: 9:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
Rigolas:
D Parents can equally change school fr Their Daughter as if dats d only sch der.
afonjas are wicked
Dirty lazy beings
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Killurself: 9:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
Rigolas:
afonjas are wicked
Dirty lazy beings
Igbos re useless.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Olanna45(f): 9:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
yetseyi:
Well teachers should stop disciplining then, let the students continue with their indiscipline abeg, I dont support flogging on the head or even disciplining out of anger. I do believe the teacher went to far, its either buttocks or palm.He shouldn't have allowed his emotions to come in.

If I am a teacher in our local schools with the way things are going - you mess up, I try to correct you verbally, you throw tantrums I send you out or to the back of my class simple, let your parents discipline you how they deem fit when you get home.

I think all forms of discipline or punishment should be scrapped totally let the children be left to behave how they deem fit and lets see the results it will yield.

Still waiting for the day a Command Day teacher will be arrested for flogging.
People who are not in the system will never know what its like.

After an ugly incident with a parent in my school, i decided that i will never in this life bat an eyelid if the child going astray. Since i don't know what its like to give birth to a child. And gradually, the girl is exhibiting what she will be in future. only divine intervention can save her.

The teacher went to far if actually he flogged her till she bled like they said. Don't ever trust Nigerian press.
but arresting the teacher is not the way out.
Re: Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos by Tiffbuxas: 9:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Keneking:
"Sunday Adeshina, has been thrown into Kirikiri prison" ...he should remain there embarassed embarassed embarassed

Pastor Rotimi Olu Joseph is the school proprietor, for suspending Miss Onyinye Nwakaeme, he deserves to go to kirikiri too embarassed embarassed embarassed

"Adeshina, while reacting to the allegations refused to accept the blame but rather insisted that it remains his obligation as a teacher to correct erring students by beating or punishing them" ...is this what they teach at NCE undecided undecided undecided

I can see the East and West slugging it out big time in this story grin

So much injustice on the girl-child...nonsense school cry cry cry
Wetin this comment to long summarize next time, and I don't see it as injustice to girl child una too dey take Mata to another level... the teacher was overly zealous yes Buh no bring gender bullshit into this pls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Onyiuke Akachukwu Matthew Tackles JAMB On Withheld UTME Result / Pictures Of Canaanland And Covenant University's 15MW Gas Plant / The Way This Lady Celebrated Her Graduation Has Gotten Twitter Users Upset

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.