Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! (6015 Views)

William Kumuyi Celebrates His 79th Birthday / William Kumuyi Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today / Did You Know: The History Of Christianity Can Be Traced To Only Roman Catholic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 3:32am On Dec 02, 2016
There’s a lot of killing in the Bible—the honest and wholesome kind. The God-commanded kind.
What are we to make of this violence? Apologist William Lane Craig takes a stab at justifying The Slaughter of the Canaanites.”

Craig’s entire project is bizarre—trying to support the sagging claims of God’s goodness despite that deity’s passion for genocide—but he gamely has a go. Craig responds to the question, “But wasn’t it wrong to kill all the innocent children?”

If we believe, as I do, that God’s grace is extended to those who die in infancy or as small children, the death of these children was actually their salvation. We are so wedded to an earthly, naturalistic perspective that we forget that those who die are happy to quit this earth for heaven’s incomparable joy. Therefore, God does these children no wrong in taking their lives.

What’s this supposed to mean?? Does it mean that Andrea Yates was actually right that she was saving her five children from the possibility of going to hell by drowning them one by one in the bathtub? Does it mean that abortion is actually a good thing because those souls “are happy to quit this earth for heaven’s incomparable joy”? I hope none of Craig’s readers have followed up with this route to salvation.
It’s hard to believe that he’s actually justifying the killing of children, but there’s more. Let’s fillet Craig’s next paragraph:

So whom does God wrong in commanding the destruction of the Canaanites? Not the Canaanite adults, for they were corrupt and deserving of judgment.

I thought that genocide was wrong. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Not the children, for they inherit eternal life

Yeah, right. Killing children is actually a good thing. (Are we living Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four, where “War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength”?)

So who is wronged?

Wait for it!

Ironically, I think the most difficult part of this whole debate is the apparent wrong done to the Israeli soldiers themselves. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to break into some house and kill a terrified woman and her children? The brutalizing effect on these Israeli soldiers is disturbing.

Uh, yeah. That was the big concern in my mind, too.
Can you believe this guy? My guess is that he is a decent and responsible person, is a good husband and father, works hard, and pays his taxes. But he’s writing this? It’s like discovering that your next-door neighbor is a member of the Ku Klux Klan.
This brings up the Christopher Hitchens Challenge (video). Hitchens challenges anyone to state a moral action taken or a moral sentiment uttered by a believer that couldn’t be taken or uttered by an unbeliever—something that a believer could do but an atheist couldn’t. In the many public appearances in which Hitchens has made this challenge, he has never heard a valid reply.
But think of the reverse: something terrible that only a believer would do or say. Now, there are lots of possibilities. Obviously, anything containing variations on “because God says” or “because the Bible says” could be an example.

---“The Bible says, ‘Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.’”

---“Despite the potential benefits to public health, we should avoid embryonic stem cell research because it’s against the Bible.”

---“God hates gays.”

Or, as in this case, “God supports genocide.”

This reminds me what physicist Steven Weinberg said: “Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.

In other words: Christianity can rot your brain.

[size=4pt]source[/size]

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by Richirich713: 4:15am On Dec 02, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by promisechuks: 4:18am On Dec 02, 2016
Richirich713:
I recommend this thread for you :

https://www.nairaland.com/3449468/4-reasons-why-atheists-create

very good recommendation!

alternate moniker!!

just to create a false sense of atheistic growth on NL. LIES AND DECEPTIONS!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 4:59am On Dec 02, 2016
Richirich713:
I recommend this thread for you :
https://www.nairaland.com/3449468/4-reasons-why-atheists-create

How does this answer the OP?

promisechuks:

alternate moniker!!

What? I created this account because I'm very active in the business and investment section and feel me using my main monicker can sabotage my business dealings, I've always been just a viewer of this section and avoid meddling but this idea came to me yesterday after seeing the misleading topic of one of you

Is this how you accuse every new member of using alternates or only atheist? Are you saying no new atheist are out there not meddling? Its hardly surprising seeing many of arguments devolve into insults and name calling, I'm not yet a day old on this section and I feel like calling you unprintable names already

You remind me of the skepticism I faced earlier in the business and investment section with they also thinking I'm a banned scammer using alternate monicker

Let's stay on topic pls

Seun I hope this is alright, this is an alternate but I created it to protect my business interest, I won't use this monicker anywhere else, you can even ban this monicker from posting anywhere else if that's possible

Thanks for your understanding

12 Likes

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by hopefulLandlord: 6:04am On Dec 02, 2016
DelusionKiller:

How does this answer the OP?

What? I created this account because I'm very active in the business and investment section and feel me using my main monicker can sabotage my business dealings, I've always been just a viewer of this section and avoid meddling but this idea came to me yesterday after seeing the misleading topic of one of you
Is this how you accuse every new member of using alternates or only atheist? Are you saying no new atheist are out there not meddling? Its hardly surprising seeing many of arguments devolve into insults and name calling, I'm not yet a day old on this section and I feel like calling you unprintable names already
You remind me of the skepticism I faced earlier in the business and investment section with they also thinking I'm a banned scammer using alternate monicker
Let's stay on topic pls
Seun I hope this is alright, this is an alternate but I created it to protect my business interest, I won't use this monicker anywhere else, you can even ban this monicker from posting anywhere else if that's possible
Thanks for your understanding

to be honest, there's been lots and lots of new alternate monickers made by these Christians; some by atheists but Christians have made far more in the past one week!!!

that guy that uploaded a pic for instance has 5 known monickers probably has more that are unknown, so he's actually guilty of what he's accusing you of, most Christian apologists here also have as many or more monickers, I even know one who has 10, probably and pretends he's his niece from Pennsylvania with one of them grin ; he's just playing a game of psychological projection most likely feels uneasy and sick to death with every new atheist monicker; don't let him get under your skin, he changes monickers to pretend to be new but his attitude stinks out every time, he can't hide it cool

you're welcome if everything you said here is true, even I won't reveal my real identity and would advice other atheists to do the same unless absolutely necessary

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by dalaman: 6:13am On Dec 02, 2016
So moniker red herring is their rejoinder to the thread?
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by hopefulLandlord: 6:13am On Dec 02, 2016
Now to the OP

the logic used by Christians when thinking about anything else gets suspended temporarily when thinking about the happenings in the hole-ly buybull

I said this on another thread

hopefulLandlord:

when Christians read the Bible or Muslims read the Koran and they see something that doesn't make sense, they would go on mental gymnastics to explain this situation
this is Akin to how everyone's brain does when the eye sees something that defies immediate explanation

but give Christian a Koran to read and Muslim a Bible and see how they go on that same mental gymnastics to ridicule the book you just gave them

this becomes a huge problem when they're trying to convince someone else who hasn't suspended that "logic" and makes them dig their holes!

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by felixomor: 6:15am On Dec 02, 2016
Hehehehe,

The desperation is real.

grin

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by hopefulLandlord: 6:17am On Dec 02, 2016
dalaman:

bros, I tire o
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by felixomor: 6:17am On Dec 02, 2016
promisechuks:

alternate moniker!!

Lol.

ThreAd closed!

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by dalaman: 6:25am On Dec 02, 2016
Ii
hopefulLandlord:
Now to the OP
the logic used by Christians when thinking about anything else gets suspended temporarily when thinking about the happenings in the hole-ly buybull

Christians and Muslims believe that their scriptures can never be wrong so mental gymnastics is the only way to defend some of the things written in inside those book. William Craig is one of the best christian debaters but he is such a confused person sometimes. When cornered he says things that are completely inane. He once said the people that wrote the violent parts of the bible weren't inspired by God and just wrote what came to their mind. He really said that.

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by odysey: 7:57am On Dec 02, 2016
@Op I want to encourage you to center your Arguments to The new testament. it just dawned on me that you guys Pick wholly from the old testament.

anyways like I've said b4 I ain't a Christian I am a follower, 'lover' and believer in THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

NB. if you guys Insist on hammering on the old testament there are a lot of theologians online who have answered lots of the questions you guys put up

SHALLOM SHALLOM

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 8:26am On Dec 02, 2016
dalaman:

Pure red herring
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 8:27am On Dec 02, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

to be honest, there's been lots and lots of new alternate monickers made by these Christians; some by atheists but Christians have made far more in the past one week!!!

that guy that uploaded a pic for instance has 5 known monickers probably has more that are unknown, so he's actually guilty of what he's accusing you of, most Christian apologists here also have as many or more monickers, I even know one who has 10, probably and pretends he's his niece from Pennsylvania with one of them grin ; he's just playing a game of psychological projection most likely feels uneasy and sick to death with every new atheist monicker; don't let him get under your skin, he changes monickers to pretend to be new but his attitude stinks out every time, he can't hide it cool

you're welcome if everything you said here is true, even I won't reveal my real identity and would advice other atheists to do the same unless absolutely necessary

Thank you
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 8:30am On Dec 02, 2016
odysey:
@Op I want to encourage you to center your Arguments to The new testament. it just dawned on me that you guys Pick wholly from the old testament.

anyways like I've said b4 I ain't a Christian I am a follower, 'lover' and believer in THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

NB. if you guys Insist on hammering on the old testament there are a lot of theologians online who have answered lots of the questions you guys put up

SHALLOM SHALLOM

William Maine Craig is a theologian who gave an answer that's being scrutinized here, you can provide a better answer if you have it

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 8:33am On Dec 02, 2016
dalaman:
Ii

Christians and Muslims believe that their scriptures can never be wrong so mental gymnastics is the only way to defend some of the things written in inside those book. William Craig is one of the best christian debaters but he is such a confused person sometimes. When cornered he says things that are completely inane. He once said the people that wrote the violent parts of the bible weren't inspired by God and just wrote what came to their mind. He really said that.

Richard Dawkins once said he doesn't want to debate Laine Craig and Christians quickly said he was scared, he had to give his reasons https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/oct/20/richard-dawkins-william-lane-craig
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by jonbellion(m): 8:35am On Dec 02, 2016
The book of Joshua is the most bleeped yo book in the bible
When I wanted to read the bible completely and I got to today book it really made me question the kind of deity I was worshipping

2 Likes

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by felixomor: 8:39am On Dec 02, 2016
jonbellion:
When I wanted to read the bible completely and I got to today book it really made me question the kind of deity I was worshipping

Stop telling lies. sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 8:41am On Dec 02, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
Now to the OP

this becomes a huge problem when they're trying to convince someone else who hasn't suspended that "logic" and makes them dig their holes!

The two main methods of brain rot for Christians seem to be revelation and intuition as 'knowledge'.
Here's a Christian article that gives advice on how to rot your brain:
http://www.cwgministries.org/How-to-Receive-Revelation-Knowledge

It says:

"You do not have a mind to use, but a mind to present to God so He can use it and fill it with anointed reason and divine vision. If you use your mind yourself, it is a dead work."
and
"Realizing that the revelation came from the indwelling Holy Spirit, give all the glory to God for what has been revealed."

Christians also see their intuitions as accurate knowledge from God that does not require any further reflection or inquiry.

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~jgreene/GreeneWJH/Shenhav-Rand-Greene-JEPG11.pdf

"...the extent to which one believes in God may be
influenced by one’s more general tendency to rely on intuition versus reflection. Three studies support this hypothesis, linking intuitive cognitive style to belief in God."
" Intuitive responses were also positively correlated with self-reported belief in immortal souls, and with reports of experiences that convinced the participant of God’s existence,"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by jonbellion(m): 8:43am On Dec 02, 2016
felixomor:

Stop telling lies. sad
shut up
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by felixomor: 8:51am On Dec 02, 2016
jonbellion:
shut up

For exposing ur lies....

You wish. cool

2 Likes

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 8:54am On Dec 02, 2016
jonbellion:

the slaying of the cannanites is something that's heart wrenching

Committing genocide against the indigenous people of Canaan was made easier by the fact that they were willing to fight for their ancestral homes. It's easier to slaughter people who are trying to kill you, even if you're the one who started the fight. Had the Canaanites tried to welcome the newcomers and pursue peaceful treaties, genocide might have been harder. Even the most fanatical religious zealot has a harder time slaughtering unarmed, peaceful people.

Apparently Yahweh thought of this and took steps to ensure that nothing like this would interfere with his plans:

There was not a city that made peace with the children of Israel, save the Hivites the inhabitants of Gibeon: all other they took in battle. For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favor, but that he might destroy them, as the Lord commanded Moses. ( Joshua 11:19-20)

So Yahweh "hardened" the hearts of the Canaanites to guarantee that they would "come against Israel in battle." Had he not done that, some of the Canaanites might have chosen a more peaceful solution and the Israelites might have been tempted to befriend them. Instead, they slaughtered everyone.

He also did the same to the Egyptians by hardening Pharaoh's heart, someone who sees his wrongdoing and wants to make amends couldn't do it because Yahweh hasn't slaughtered all firstborn sons

This is thus a persistent pattern for Yahweh: order one group of humans to harm a second group of humans, then take away the free will of the second ground and force them to act in a way that ensures conflict can occur. This sounds remarkably like a child torturing small animals and we all know what happens to kids like that.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 8:56am On Dec 02, 2016
jonbellion:
shut up
you can ignore certain people

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by jonbellion(m): 8:57am On Dec 02, 2016
The Quran is just stories of the bible but the writers were high on ass juice and camel piss tiger Mohammed certified okay to drink
For example
Adam was 90, feet tall
The golden calf that Aaron built for worship when Moses went to mount sinai mooed
Allah turned Sabbath breaking Jews into apes
The sun sets in a puddle
Mohammed split the moon in half(also in the hadith too)
How no other civilization recorded such an event I don't know for Islam
And the threat of hell was basically on every surah with things like
-jinns would pout boiling water on your mouth
You would secrete your puss
And other bullshit
The Abrahamic religions though grin

4 Likes

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by EyeHateGod: 9:07am On Dec 02, 2016
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 9:09am On Dec 02, 2016
jonbellion:
The Quran is just stories of the bible but the writers were high on ass juice and camel piss tiger Mohammed certified okay to drink
For example
Adam was 90, feet tall
The golden calf that Aaron built for worship when Moses went to mount sinai mooed
Allah turned Sabbath breaking Jews into apes
The sun sets in a puddle
Mohammed split the moon in half(also in the hadith too)
How no other civilization recorded such an event I don't know for Islam
And the threat of hell was basically on every surah with things like
-jinns would pout boiling water on your mouth
You would secrete your puss
And other bullshit
The Abrahamic religions though grin

guess what? the Muslims believe it fully grin

there's an article that examines what'll happen if a Muslim is preached to http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2016/11/the-devastating-muslim-test-for-christianity/

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by Richirich713: 9:10am On Dec 02, 2016
DelusionKiller:

Richard Dawkins once said he doesn't want to debate Laine Craig and Christians quickly said he was scared, he had to give his reasons https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/oct/20/richard-dawkins-william-lane-craig

Dawkins is a coward who knows craig would smash him in a debate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by jonbellion(m): 9:11am On Dec 02, 2016
DelusionKiller:

the slaying of the cannanites is something that's heart wrenching

Committing genocide against the indigenous people of Canaan was made easier by the fact that they were willing to fight for their ancestral homes. It's easier to slaughter people who are trying to kill you, even if you're the one who started the fight. Had the Canaanites tried to welcome the newcomers and pursue peaceful treaties, genocide might have been harder. Even the most fanatical religious zealot has a harder time slaughtering unarmed, peaceful people.

Apparently Yahweh thought of this and took steps to ensure that nothing like this would interfere with his plans:

There was not a city that made peace with the children of Israel, save the Hivites the inhabitants of Gibeon: all other they took in battle. For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favor, but that he might destroy them, as the Lord commanded Moses. ( Joshua 11:19-20)

So Yahweh "hardened" the hearts of the Canaanites to guarantee that they would "come against Israel in battle." Had he not done that, some of the Canaanites might have chosen a more peaceful solution and the Israelites might have been tempted to befriend them. Instead, they slaughtered everyone.

He also did the same to the Egyptians by hardening Pharaoh's heart, someone who sees his wrongdoing and wants to make amends couldn't do it because Yahweh hasn't slaughtered all firstborn sons

This is thus a persistent pattern for Yahweh: order one group of humans to harm a second group of humans, then take away the free will of the second ground and force them to act in a way that ensures conflict can occur. This sounds remarkably like a child torturing small animals and we all know what happens to kids like that.

yeah that heart hardening was a consistent thing
I tend not to look at it as Gods instructions
It's was probably the old laws of the Israelites
The mistake religpud people made was to attribute such nonsense to a God
That's the biggest insult to a supreme being
Helping his "chosen people" tale other peoples lands from them by mass slaughter

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 9:13am On Dec 02, 2016
Richirich713:

Dawkins is a coward who knows craig would smash him in a debate.

Its obvious who the smasher would be and its not William

maybe you didn't read the link I gave with a clear unbiased mind, remove the frown on your face and read it again if you have before

1 Like

Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 02, 2016
jonbellion:

Did you say worshipping? When did you ever worship God? Do you want me to remind you of your very comment on another thread Mr 24yr old I still have time individual?

Why do you guys enjoy lying for atheism?
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by DelusionKiller(f): 9:19am On Dec 02, 2016

William Laine Craig also said the below

"I have come to appreciate as a result of a closer reading of the biblical text that God's command to Israel was not primarily to exterminate the Canaanites but to drive them out of the land.[…] Canaan was being given over to Israel, whom God had now brought out of Egypt. If the Canaanite tribes, seeing the armies of Israel, had simply chosen to flee, no one would have been killed at all. There was no command to pursue and hunt down the Canaanite peoples.
It is therefore completely misleading to characterise God's command to Israel as a command to commit genocide. Rather it was first and foremost a command to drive the tribes out of the land and to occupy it. Only those who remained behind were to be utterly exterminated. No one had to die in this whole affair."

This made me doubt he's even read the bible very well
Re: William Laine Craig Example Shows Christianity Can Rot Your Brain!!! by felixomor: 9:20am On Dec 02, 2016
I know the owner of this moniker.

Lol. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jesus Not Entirely Good / King Solomon Was A Black Man...biblical Facts. / What Do You Do When Someone Hurts You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.