Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,453 members, 7,853,984 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 08:57 AM

Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? - Literature (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (95506 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / Novels Are Time Sucking, Time Wasting Cooked Up Stories? / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by semid4lyfe(m): 4:17pm On Feb 19, 2010
ravenzord:

The Eleventh Commandment - Jeffrey Archer
Excellent book! It's Jeffrey Archer's best espionage novel IMO. . . .borrowed the book from a friend way back in sec school and read it overnight cos it had to be returned the next day. Are you reading a hard copy or the e-version of the novel?
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by ravenzord(m): 5:11am On Feb 20, 2010
The hard copy, wonder why Jackson had to die BTW, and Dexter got away with errthing, interesting book all the same.

@ OP: Back to Isle Of Avalon, book's frigging large.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by lightwalk(m): 1:01pm On Feb 20, 2010
THE AMAKA:

I know the title of the book, its my favorite book series. . .i just didn't say which it was. smiley
There is something quite coy about u.

@Tatatse: That's quite impressive for the average class except u didn't state precisely how long it takes you. I finished Lord of the Rings (Trilogy) in 2days during my exam period as far back as my SS3. I read on an average of 800wpm for most novels and books with simple grammar and style.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 2:14pm On Feb 20, 2010
@ lightwalk,

I don't know my exact wpm speed but 800wpm sounds suitably impressive! That's really intense that you know that about yourself. I'll figure it out sometime (maybe when I figure out how to figure it out tongue tongue).

@ topic,

Small Island by Andrea Levy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by lightwalk(m): 4:26pm On Feb 21, 2010
A bashful wagging female tongue, We'll cut it in pieces! anyway, if you care google up Evelyn Wood
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 5:17pm On Feb 21, 2010
Weldone guyz nd gurlz cheesy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by mohawkchic(f): 8:36pm On Feb 21, 2010
~Michael Connelly : The Overlook
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by maedan(f): 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2010
Twilight (at last!!) by Stephanie Meyer. Very sweet and childish, but I will finish it. I've seen the movie now I need to read where it all started. Just what made people like it enough to make it a film beats me. There must be better-written tween novels out there undecided.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 11:15pm On Feb 21, 2010
Presumed innocent by scot turrow
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ndipe(m): 1:06am On Feb 22, 2010
unaccustomed earth by Jhumpa Lahiri.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 22, 2010
moliere ( I think)

-a collection of plays
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by just2nice(m): 3:16am On Feb 24, 2010
The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott (when on my lappie)
and
Final Theory by Mark Alpert (on mobile phone when I am on the road)
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 24, 2010
"Lucky" by Jackie Collins.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by smooooooth: 10:52am On Feb 24, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Excellent book! It's Jeffrey Archer's best espionage novel IMO. . . .borrowed the book from a friend way back in sec school and read it overnight cos it had to be returned the next day. Are you reading a hard copy or the e-version of the novel?

sure is, never seen a thriller like that.

@post

the purpose driven life. lovely book. smiley
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 24, 2010
The Magus - John Fowles
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by doyin13(m): 6:59pm On Feb 24, 2010
hehehehe, . . Ibukun reads. shocked shocked

Who dash monkey banana tongue tongue tongue
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 24, 2010
doyin13:

hehehehe, . . Ibukun reads. shocked shocked

Who dash monkey banana tongue tongue tongue
Pffft cheesy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 8:40pm On Feb 24, 2010
doyin13:

Oh well. . .lemme recommend two books far removed from pessimism as you can get.

Wole Soyinka's Ake and Andrea Levy's Small Island/

You will literally Roll on the floor by the time you are done. wink wink

Ok thanks soooo much for recommending Small Island. I LOVE LOVED it. It was happy and sad and thought-provoking and just really really good. Only it was Caribbean lit, not African as you kind of said. And whilst it was funny in parts, it wasn't like roll-on-the-floor funny. But it was really good so it didn't matter, so thanks!!

@ topic,

Re-reading The Red Scarf by Kate Furnivall
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by doyin13(m): 9:19pm On Feb 24, 2010
Oh. . .do pardon me. I should have warned you it was ''Caribbean Lit''.

And honestly, if you have read funnier books, I would like you to recommend me
some. grin grin grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 9:23pm On Feb 24, 2010
It was so sad and unfair (with the racism issues and dashed expectations) in some places, I couldn't ROTFL the whole book. I laughed at some things that were said, but no, I wouldn't be like "oh, that book is comedy, so funny!"
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by doyin13(m): 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
Hmm. . The racism is not funny admittedly.

I actually thought the racist episodes
were the poorer parts of the book, not entirely
a fault of its own, but because I have read so
many books with such scenes, one's response is
''hmm. . .we have been here before''. Its hard to bring
subtlety to such a subject.

But Gilbert and Hortense had me cracking up repeatedly
especially with the cupboard. grin grin grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 24, 2010
Finished reading 'The Collector' a few days ago, brilliant, intelligently thrilling to say the least, I got so annoyed at the main character too, no I was angry actually, really really angry, gosh he was annoying
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 10:32pm On Feb 24, 2010
I just felt irritated with Hortense. She was sooooooo obnoxious. I liked Gilbert, though. I LOL-ed at the end where Queenie made her request completely out of the blue (the "wtf, how can we leave this psycho's parlor" feeling G and H had. . .) even though it felt a bit inappropriate because she was distraught etc. The book was good sha, its the kind of thing that whilst I was reading it, I couldn't stop talking about it and kind of harassed everyone I know with it.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by lightwalk(m): 10:38pm On Feb 24, 2010
Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:52pm On Feb 25, 2010

[size=13pt]The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Wow. This is one of my all-time one of my best favorite books! It is very thought-provoking and intense. The[i] Da Vinci Code[/i] was one of those books that kept me up really late because I simply couldn't stop reading it! I am a sucker for mysteries in general (I am far too curious for my own good), but when a mystery is surrounded by history? I'm sold. All the controversy around the book made it all the more appealing to me. The plot was fast-paced and kept me on edge, and I absolutely LOVED the characters! Sophie is very strong-willed and Robert is well. . . . . kiss what's NOT to love? I admit that it is not the most sophisticated book in the world, but it is definitely one of the better ones out there.
[/size]
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by lightwalk(m): 6:54pm On Feb 25, 2010
OgAgA. U're DAMNEd!!
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tanimz(f): 8:20pm On Feb 25, 2010
I finally got Push by Sapphire!!!

Cant wait till I finish it smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by mohawkchic(f): 12:01am On Feb 26, 2010
~A Darkness More Than Night ~Michael Connelly
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 10:54pm On Mar 02, 2010
Currently re-reading The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer, but have been distracted by re-reading my collection of Julia Quinn regency romance novels at the same time.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by doyin13(m): 11:02pm On Mar 02, 2010
Tatase:

Currently re-reading The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer, but have been distracted by re-reading my collection of Julia Quinn regency romance novels at the same time.

I was beginning to worry o after not seeing here in a while. . . I feared you were slacking from your former torrid pace. cheesy cheesy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 12:58am On Mar 03, 2010
doyin13:

I was beginning to worry o after not seeing here in a while. . . I feared you were slacking from your former torrid pace. cheesy cheesy

I HAVE slacked in pace because I'm a little busier and have a little more going on right now. But I'm never not "currently reading" something. tongue I just hadn't been on NL in a few days to update is all. What are YOU reading?
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by doyin13(m): 1:11am On Mar 03, 2010
Tatase:

I HAVE slacked in pace because I'm a little busier and have a little more going on right now. But I'm never not "currently reading" something. tongue I just hadn't been on NL in a few days to update is all. What are YOU reading?

a thousand acres - - - -jane smiley. American midwest farming family saga. Pulitzer prize winner no less.

Has been boring so far though undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (100)

PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery / A Story: Broken Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.