Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683636 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kindaguy(m): 3:27pm On Feb 12, 2018
BlowJobs:

3 Years. Not necessary 4 years.

What i like about Nursing in the US is that you don't necessary have to finish school to start working.

At the end of the first year, you can take the LPN exam and get your LPN license. Second year, you get your Associate degree and become a registered nurse (restricted License)

3rd year, transfer to a partner institution and get your RN degree and become a Full RN (non restricted license)

https://www.mccnh.edu/academics/programs/nursing

https://www.mccnh.edu/academics/programs/nursing/pathways

So, year, you become LPN in 9 months, RN in 18 Months and RN(non restricted) in 3 years. (Everything na Nurse nah. Na pay rate differs as long as you know your lane grin)

Bro... does this apply to students on a F1 visa?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by skitkid2(m): 4:55pm On Feb 12, 2018
FrankNetter:
For you to fully understand this next aspect of my story, of my new job as a CNA, I would need to break it down, I would need to make you guys understand the healthcare system in the USA.

See, there is a reason the USA is a first world country. They didn't get here by fluke, (neither by praying and messing around and watching big brother nigeria). In Nigeria, the typical healthcare team consists of Doctors and Nurses (auxillary nurses and bachelor's degree nurses). In the USA, it's much more different, we have Doctors (different specialties), Nurses (Nursing practitioners, Bsc Nurses, associate degree nurses, Licensed practical nurses) And Certified nursing assistants (CNAs) And then we have other people called social workers, physical therapists etc etc. Everybody works as a team, with emphasis on delivering the best care possible to the patient.

The "lowliest" job is the CNA job, as a CNA, you're the person closest to the patient. Both physically and observationally. You are responsible for also making observations to recent changes in the patient (how much did they eat, how much did they _shit, did they urinate enough today?)
I'm sure you must have heard of the people that pack _shit in the USA. Na the job be this. The beauty of the healthcare system here is the ability to climb the "ladder" easily. From being a lowly CNA, you can move up to being a registered nurse in no time.

Big brother nigeria is not a problem of Nigeria.

what is wrong with Nigerians and chasing ghosts.

keeping up with the kardashians has been running for years and America has not crumbled.

Our problem is just too much

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by hammed71(m): 5:14pm On Feb 12, 2018
skitkid2:

Big brother nigeria is not a problem of Nigeria.

what is wrong with Nigerians and chasing ghosts.

keeping up with the kardashians has been running for years and America has not crumbled.

Our problem is just too much
As in

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by skitkid2(m): 5:20pm On Feb 12, 2018
BlowJobs:

it is even way easier than Nigeria. However, you know that persistent chase we do in Nigeria, always wanting the girls number by force, always wanting to "chat her up". Don't do it over here, you will be labeled a stalker.

one thing you need to understand is that young adults (ages 18-30 in this case) don't do calls, we text all day (my wife and I always texting each other. she only calls if i'm not replying or text me to tell me she'll call me). So, don't bring the naija mentality here and start calling everyone you have their number, we find it annoying.

Most people nowadays meet each other online (social media is awesome, people don't even know how to date anymore just meet online, hookup and move on. i did it in my "prime" days here grin grin). Be open minded to meeting dates online and not expecting it to be perfect.

and lastly, we don't really "toast". we just talk about things that unify us like a movie, a game, work, social life etc. Don't be boring, always find an exciting thing to talk about like a book or an idea (talking about politics on a first date is a bad idea most of the time). I would also advise you find out what she likes (movie, food, the acrade, bowling) so take her to the movies or something and/or a restaurant after (don't woorry much about the cost people here split the bills but we naija men most times dey foot the bill why we get the "cookie" 99% of the time grin grin)

The general rule is just don't be "boring", dress nice and SMELL GOOD (very important) and use mouth wash/mint candy/ fresh breadth, you might get a kiss that night you don't wanna risk it for a mouth odor.

Additionally, don't bring up sex except you both are already talking about it. Be a gentleman. Let it be her choice. Some ladies just wanna have sex. If you're not that type, you decline the offer. If you want sex too, you accept. it is a win-win situation. The probability that you won't text each other anymore is 80% anyways.

Update: Every lady loves a guy that can make them laugh. Know how to make someone laugh without sounding ridiculously stupid. Also, learn how to give compliments, "nice shoe, lovely smile, you drew that? Omg it is awesome, you have an amazing voice, your eyes are gorgeous, your phone case is beautiful, where did you buy it".. Those things help with conversations. Before you know it, you both have spent 2hours talking and next thing she's asking you when you'd like to come over or if you live alone grin grin

Those are just my experiences. I am retired now. grin grin
cool beans

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2018
I see a lot of guys have started exploiting America Hoodman here in Ninja. Easy when you land Yankee. You can as well dream of seeing those Trump's buildings along with Lagos Island castles. Anyhow follow rules, you shall get there.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:46am On Feb 13, 2018
BlowJobs:

Those are just my experiences. I am retired now. grin grin

Ha!....you should be writing a book.... but from the tone of this I strongly believe you're about to rush out of retirement!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by BlowJobs: 6:30am On Feb 13, 2018
Originalsly:

Ha!....you should be writing a book.... but from the tone of this I strongly believe you're about to rush out of retirement!

Nah. I've had my fair share. I found peace, comfort, love, acceptance, trust, committment In my woman.

The only missing thing seems to be booty grin. And i can live with that. Booty is superficial anyways grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by desertboom(m): 7:41am On Feb 13, 2018
BlowJobs:

Nah. I've had my fair share. I found peace, comfort, love, acceptance, trust, committment In my woman.

The only missing thing seems to be booty grin. And i can live with that. Booty is superficial anyways grin

Baba, I dey enjoy you. I want to be like you
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by THEPOTTER(m): 8:30am On Feb 13, 2018
this things you listed make marriage work not booty, wish you long n lasting marriage with dozens of kids lol@blowjobs. Peace! Something i can fight for.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by skitkid2(m): 9:57am On Feb 13, 2018
BlowJobs:

and blowjobs kept comin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 3:43am On Feb 20, 2018
Franknetter

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by nastyd(m): 4:37am On Feb 20, 2018
lionlee216:
Franknetter

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lyrondee: 9:55pm On Feb 20, 2018
Sup Franky....
Abeg i heard nursing students are not allowed to work while studying due to workload....
Biko how TRUE?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
lyrondee:
Sup Franky....
Abeg i heard nursing students are not allowed to work while studying due to workload....
Biko how TRUE?

Are you a nursing student?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:48pm On Feb 20, 2018
lyrondee:
Sup Franky....
Biko how TRUE?

Na lie

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:03am On Feb 21, 2018
Update coming guys. Be patient

Happy valentine grin

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:10am On Feb 21, 2018
FrankNetter:
Update coming guys. Be patient

Happy valentine grin
My Brother long time .. Where have you been? Hope hustle tight well? Waiting for update like... grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by PDPGuy: 4:35am On Feb 21, 2018
@ Blowjobs: About your point on girls preferring text to calls, it depends on the girl in question.

Some Nigerian girls, here, still prefer to communicate on the phone most of the time. In fact, a friend once said that she will never take a guy who texts most of the time, serious.

But if you referring to girls of other nationalities or races i.e. Whites, Arabs, Latina etc, in my experience, they do not mind if texts make up 90% of your communication between they and you.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lyrondee: 7:53am On Feb 21, 2018
orbis:

Are you a nursing student?
Not really bro.... buh am planning to apply this coming spring
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by beezyblaze(m): 3:56pm On Feb 21, 2018
Hello Bro...you've been in the states for a while now... Please how's football over there??
I'm an amateur footballer and and 18 years of age... I'm considering coming to the states to play football... Probably for a semi pro team or an academy but dont know how to go about it.
I thought of applying for an f1 visa but I'll definitely be out of status because i might not go for classes and i don't want anything that will jeopardize my stay in the states or that will come back and haunt me later in the future...
Please do you have any advice for me??
Probably if there's any academy around or something.
My flight fare and all is intact.
My plan is to enter usa in the rightest way and with my mind at rest ...Nothing else.
sorry if my question might be silly..
I just dont want to make any mistake..
Thanks in advance

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 10:59pm On Feb 22, 2018
beezyblaze:
Hello Bro...you've been in the states for a while now... Please how's football over there??
I'm an amateur footballer and and 18 years of age... I'm considering coming to the states to play football... Probably for a semi pro team or an academy but dont know how to go about it.
I thought of applying for an f1 visa but I'll definitely be out of status because i might not go for classes and i don't want anything that will jeopardize my stay in the states or that will come back and haunt me later in the future...
My plan is to enter usa in the rightest way and with my mind at rest ...Nothing else.
Thanks in advance
Guys de vex....any which way na way

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 11:02pm On Feb 22, 2018
beezyblaze:
Thanks in advance
I think it would be easier getting a soccer jig in Europe than in the US. If you were a basketball dude or maybe good in sprints or any of the damn american games, then e for easy somehow if you fit get sports scholarship. Just make some online search sha

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Itchingpreeq: 7:45pm On Feb 23, 2018
unalaoted:

hmmm how You dey my brother.. wow you be millionaire be that.. great. That question is well a yes or No thing not a direct answer in my own opinion. Let me tell you a story oo, story story ooo.. want to tell you a story story story oo(singing) before i left Naija last year i had a good paying job lets say i was earning about 300k with an official Car, a manager in a multinational company no be joke mehnn.. if you believe fine if you no believe na your pot of beans be that..
I left Naija with about 5M for my account yes i said 5M to come study for my masters here for Yankee giving the school all my hard earned money mhen(crying) cry cry cry yes i drop am gbam embarassed and started from ground zero when i mean zero, na zero zero zero... that was last year `june ooo.. fast forward brother this is my second semesters now and trust me baba God grin grin dey do am and the rest na story... United state is kinda funny place and trust me with God mehn i know where i see myself in 5years.. that 5M investment i will make it in one and half month and i will look back and laugh at my small change.. thanks i took the risk... bro the future is bright here as long as you know what you are doing..

that is the end of my story... we can talk here and i will help people as much as i can.

my grammar funny i dey school library they teach chemistry.. (LAUGH) making my small change.. grin grin

Remember that 1M can disappear in just a minute in Naija.. but if you have legit business you can do stay but as well.. Naija uncertainty no be for here.

You've just given me a green light on what todo bro. Abeg.... How did you do it, you just apply for a student visa, got it and hustle along side studying? Borrow me all your knowledge as regards this bro.....this country don taya me. While others are celebrating new technology achievements, we are here chanting heroic hymn on a governor for awarding 1km road.

@Franknetter, Abeg snap some oyinbo backside show us.... Speaking on behave of plenty of us wey never see oyinbo yanch.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by johnpoko: 8:40pm On Feb 23, 2018
hi guys, please what waec subjects do I need to study nursing in america? I did arts in sec school AMD I have biology in my waec result, no chemistry and physics

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Inkredible(m): 11:51pm On Feb 23, 2018
FrankNetter:

Second picture, CNA job pay check (two weeks wages)

#360+ grin

I wantu be a shyt cleaner o
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by alakara(m): 7:23am On Feb 24, 2018
johnpoko:
hi guys, please what waec subjects do I need to study nursing in america? I did arts in sec school AMD I have biology in my waec result, no chemistry and physics
Mathematics, English, physics, chemistry, biology.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Justanodadude: 4:12pm On Feb 24, 2018
alakara:

Mathematics, English, physics, chemistry, biology.

Quick one what can one do with a Nigerian Law degree or English degree in America? Job prospects.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 6:32pm On Feb 24, 2018
Justanodadude:

Quick one what can one do with a Nigerian Law degree or English degree in America? Job prospects.
you can take a security exam and become a licensed security officer grin

Just joking.
I heard it’s hard to get a job with Nigerian degrees in the US of A. You need to have a useful skill and or with certifications/licenses.

You can work on your writing skills and be a writer.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Justanodadude: 9:04pm On Feb 24, 2018
stonemasonn:
you can take a security exam and become a licensed security officer grin

Just joking.
I heard it’s hard to get a job with Nigerian degrees in the US of A. You need to have a useful skill and or with certifications/licenses.

You can work on your writing skills and be a writer.

Thanks very much.

Omo no talk say ur security work na joke oooo.
For some people as long as the gateman
work is not in Nigeria they are happy.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Melian(f): 9:37am On Feb 25, 2018
Sammypope4all:
OP, thanks for this journal. It's indeed an eye opener and a decision tag for an individual like myself who had been contemplating on either staying ( as regards the stories of racism and dehumanization of blacks and the "e no easy thing I hear often from ppl) or leaving. With your post and some of the comment seen so far, I think it's obvious what to choose now.

oo

Lol

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Melian(f): 11:42am On Feb 25, 2018
FrankNetter:
Come chop pizza o

grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by johnpoko: 12:13pm On Feb 25, 2018
Hello guys I have been a silent reader of this thread. I got my visa in January and my agent just booked my flight. My flight is scheduled to land at Doha International Airport (Qatar airways), then after a 9 hours lay over, we will land at Chicago O'Hare Airport. Abeg na my first time to travel abroad and my first time to enter Aeroplane. Any advice for me? I fit charge my phone for plane? e dey get free WiFi? what and what should I do and not do? thanks

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.