Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,191 members, 7,825,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (209) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684789 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bigtt76(f): 9:35pm On Nov 03, 2019
shocked

deuzgreat:

long time. how are you and your girlfriend. or u single now?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 6:34pm On Nov 04, 2019
Mgbe onye jiri tete ura, by ututu ya.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by AngelicBeing: 8:12pm On Nov 04, 2019
Dremca:
Mgbe onye jiri tete ura, by ututu ya.
Hian cheesy

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 8:55pm On Nov 04, 2019
I dey hail boss. Longest time grin
AngelicBeing:
Hian cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by BlackAdam55(m): 9:03pm On Nov 04, 2019
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 9:09pm On Nov 04, 2019
Franknetter, please create children section for this thread.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by AngelicBeing: 1:58am On Nov 05, 2019
Dremca:
I dey hail boss. Longest time grin [author=AngelicBeing post=83743687]Hian cheesy
I dey kamkpe like Obasanjo tongue

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:19pm On Nov 05, 2019
Profitfocused:

Franknetter, do you have an idea of the number of months it will take an individual with a Top-up degree nursing from UK to get a proper nursing degree in the US. That's if possible at all.

I believe It depends on your degree and school. Most times you’d have to to submit your credentials, certificate and transcripts from your school to the nursing licensing board here in the USA (most people use the California board). Then when you get approved, you sit for the NCLEX exam after which you’d be offered a nursing license to start work. But your work eligibility mostly depends on your citizenship status and immigration situation.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:23pm On Nov 05, 2019
7Alexandre:

Like how much did you pay for the Toyota Camry?

Was it bought Brand New or Used?

Did you buy from a Car Dealership or Car Auction?

Thank you in advance for you answers.

I bought it used. It had 22k miles and was listed for $18,000. The lady that owned it before had barely driven it before reselling it to a dealership so I was super lucky.

I saved up some money, walked in there with one of my friends and told them I was ready to put down $10,000 cash, they were looking at me like I was joking. The cash helped me beat the price down to $16,800 then I negotiated the monthly payments down to $150 every month (to help me build my credit).

15 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2019
jonaifame22:
Pls when u visit the brothel there, pls snap oics and post it lemme feed my eyes

I go try grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2019
Sammypope4all:
OP, thanks for this journal. It's indeed an eye opener and a decision tag for an individual like myself who had been contemplating on either staying ( as regards the stories of racism and dehumanization of blacks and the "e no easy thing I hear often from ppl) or leaving. With your post and some of the comment seen so far, I think it's obvious what to choose now.

However, when you compare and contrast the merits and demerits between Yankee and naija, I think the reality it's obvious to the deaf and visible to the blind but the " you fit make am here too has really made people( like me) to stop thinking that while you can have stream you can also get an ocean.

For Naija, Na man No man, God help you if your parent are not in the power radar you go hear winnnn. From primary school till Uni, it has always been like that. Ever wonder why it's only a regular being take the queue of admission into higher institution( a wasted 4 years seeking admission) while the connected once either get the front row or even go oversees self. I just Dey vex as I Dey type this thing because I suppose don vamut since.....

God bless you OP me self go soon join you.

One more thing, then they drink beer wella for there?? Me like beer oo

I bin dey drink Heineken before. But now na strictly wine I Dey drink grin

E get one sweet red wine I discover wey make sense wella. Here’s a picture

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2019
Spanishmilf:
yeah same here too...... I wonder how is social life will be...

I travel come yankee to get social life? I’m trying to make money and get ahead in my career bro. The “social life” can wait till I’ve made money. grin

Who e help?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:49pm On Nov 05, 2019
TimD:
Hi Frank,
Great job you're doing here! Just a quick question for you - Personally, do you think the UPS's "earn and learn" program is a good deal and worth the effort?

Ah! Ups.

Lemme break down my time there for you.

I worked with ups for one year and a couple of months.

The “earn and learn” program is a great program that covers your tuition. It has a lot of benefits in the long run but working at ups warehouse would fvck your body up. The work no be play play. The shift I was working was only scheduled for 4-5hrs daily but that’s non-stop manual labor bro with a 10 minute break. You can’t even sit down for 2 minutes in between loading trailers, your supervisors would start harassing you. Each time I get off work, I would be dreading the 40 minute drive back home cos I’d be so so sleepy. You can’t imagine the number of times I was sleep-driving and nearly crashed my car but on each occasion, I’d be jolted awake at the last second and swerve my car back onto the highway. One time I wasn’t so lucky, I swerved too late, hit a low rise curb and burst my front passenger tire. Luckily I had a spare so I changed it up and continued on my way home.

I thought long and hard about my decision to quit the job. By virtue of the fact that I had worked with them for 7-8 months, they offered me great health insurance. (On paper, they only offer it to those that stay up to a year but I guess it’s 8 months). I heard from those that had been there longer than myself that the job gets sweeter the longer you stay with the company but it’s physically tasking - how much can your back handle? Over the course of the time I spent with them, each time I see people with blue vests (newly hired people), I make a mental guess as to how many days they would stay before running away grin. Some people quit after the first day, one Chinese boy I met quit after one week.

I thought I was getting a great deal until they offered my a one week paid vacation (because I had been with the company for one year). During that week I was doing nothing at home, cos I decided to just relax. Then I remembered I had made a mental note to check out amazon warehouse job at this amazon facility 15 minutes from my house. I applied for a shift called “flex” where you get to pick up the shifts you want to work on a mobile app on your phone. I got accepted the same day (Monday) and they scheduled my interview scheduled for Wednesday so i went. After the paperwork that day, I and some other persons were assigned to a trainer. When we got to the warehouse proper, the job was nothing compared to ups. No lifting of heavy objects, all you gotta to is scan items, wrap boxes and push it onto a conveyor belt in front of you.

I vex! I was like “is this all you guys do?” For $15/hour. The trainer was surprised I asked that question, he thought I found the job hard when it was the exact opposite!

**sorry for my rambling.

In retrospect, the Ups earn and learn program is super nice but don’t be a truck loader or unloader for too long, move your way up the ladder, try to become a supervisor (I wasn’t too lucky at that).

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:56pm On Nov 05, 2019
Originalsly:
Welcome back... .suspected you had no time to scratch let alone updating the thread. I figure you left the UPS job with all the benefits because it is too demanding and never down time. But on the other jobssss.... is it that difficult to get just a second full time job?.... there would be benefits and overtime. Why 4 jobs?...very soon you may have to join the 'drug culture' to maintain.

My four jobs offer me flexibility. I’m basically PRN at all 4 of them, I get to work when I want. I don’t need any of their full-time benefits (like health insurance) because, lucky for me, I’m covered by my mum’s health insurance. So I work based off how tough or tasking the school work each week is. If it’s too hard, I put more hours into study. If it’s the other case, I work more. So far, my formula has been working for me. I’ve kinda struck a work/school balance. I’ve had only As all through my schooling here, I’m making a conscious effort to better myself via some extracurricular school-related activities. I have a rudimentary social life, I have a couple of friends. Sex here no be anything, you can get steady knacks at anytime so that’s not a problem. The things I’m worried about are my education and my money. That’s all.

How body na? Hope you’re good.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2019
Dremca:
Franknetter, please create children section for this thread.

Just ignore the trolls.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:00pm On Nov 05, 2019
One things I haven’t talked about so far, is the “hookup culture” here in the USA. I’ll make a lengthy post about it later on. Right now, it’s 6:00 am and my day has just begun.

Drop your comments, I’ll try to reply when I can.

One love smiley

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:05pm On Nov 05, 2019
lilwetdick:

one last stuff, i am curious about this Phi Theta Kappa society

where you initiated, do you have their symbol in your arm and how was the hazing, i know the society is for students in 2 years colleages who are top in their class or in sports

does the society help in future networking in terms of jobs placement or is it just a social club?

and how does the society help the environment they are located in?

These are great questions and I’ll reply you once I get the chance. No vex.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 1:14pm On Nov 05, 2019
FrankNetter:

My four jobs offer me flexibility. I’m basically PRN at all 4 of them, I get to work when I want. I don’t need any of their full-time benefits (like health insurance) because, lucky for me, I’m covered by my mum’s health insurance. So I work based off how tough or tasking the school work each week is. If it’s too hard, I put more hours into study. If it’s the other case, I work more. So far, my formula has been working for me. I’ve kinda struck a work/school balance. I’ve had only As all through my schooling here, I’m making a conscious effort to better myself via some extracurricular school-related activities. I have a rudimentary social life, I have a couple of friends. Sex here no be anything, you can get steady knacks at anytime so that’s not a problem. The things I’m worried about are my education and my money. That’s all.

I good...kinda down past few days...be up tomorrow for the longggg gruesome Christmas season!
Ok...makes sense.... you can flex... not possible in F/T. Can imagine in F/T you telling them you need Friday off for exams... they'll work with you... then you return Monday saying you want Wednesday off for practicals.... they'll work with you.... then you return Thursday saying you want Friday off for study and Monday for another exam.... they'll give you off... then you return Tuesday and before you can say anything... they'll be thanking you for your services and wishing you the best!

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 5:31pm On Nov 05, 2019
FrankNetter:

Sex here no be anything, you can get steady knacks at anytime so that’s not a problem. The things I’m worried about are my education and my money. That’s all.

Trust you are doing good bro! Come give me a ride in your new car nah! One day I go catch you for Mac's shop!! grin

Yes, Sex can be gotten anywhere anytime you want it BUT pls be careful as well. The worst mistake that could ever happen is impregnating AA woman you dont like, You already know next is Child support! Dont get trapped. Of course, I am sure, You know all these!!

For the amazon Flex, I dont know if the word "FLEX" has an impact on the job. As you rightly said, The job is not that difficult and you rarely come across or lift so many heavy packages daily. the closest one to me in 45 mins drive(Skokie) and i have been dragging my feet about it .

As for Money, I know we are here to make money but money is still not everything. I have worked 3 jobs and some side hustle and made so much money that my bank questioned how i was able to make so much money like that. As the money keep dropping into my account, so I always make transfer into my other accounts. I have answered questions with both PNC and TCF banks and PNC eventually closed down my account and even my TCF is on a time bomb.

Also I come to realise the more money i make, the more responsiblities I have.. When you work work and work, I always tell my friends, when will you even have the time to enjoy this money? Now, I have 5 trips lined up for 2020(2 international trips) trying to go on vacations and enjoy the money i have so much worked for..

Bro, I am not preaching to you about how to live your life BUT 4 jobs? I salute you.. Oya, drop something for the boys grin grin

When una go host Chicago guys for thanksgiving? tongue

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Senorita123(f): 7:00pm On Nov 05, 2019
Congrats bro. Going through dis your thread and d pix actually made me drool. The Lord that changed your status will change mine too very soon. This country Nigeria has no plan for the youths nor d masses. Na d fastest way to leave dey hunger me. We keep hoping it will get better but it keeps getting worse. Ppl keep saying no place like home but in the real sense to me, home is where joy is and where people can boast of a comfortable life whether abroad or local. Home is where the life of the citizens are more important than anything. Home is where an average citizen can afford 3 square meals per day. Home is where security is well guaranteed. Home is where there is no huge discrepancy between the rich and the poor. Home is where our resources and funds are not being embezzled by our corrupt leaders . Home is where there are job provisions for graduates. HOME is where there is HOPE!! Home is, home is, home is, home is.................. ABROAD.......

U remember this I posted in 2016

Good news

#20th August, 2019....I FINALLY MADE IT HOME...Message: Have a dream and work towards making it a reality....God bless

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2019
You didn't consider Chase, Wells cargo or BoA. At least, they are use to huge deposit and yours won't amaze them. Imagine if Nigerian banks closes accounts with unknown source, Nigeria will be better. Nigerian banks contribute so much to the corruption in Nigeria. Many Nigerian banks still operate multiple accounts with different names belonging to a single individual without BVN. I believe such can't happen in America.
lionlee216:

Trust you are doing good bro! Come give me a ride in your new car nah! One day I go catch you for Mac's shop!! grin

Yes, Sex can be gotten anywhere anytime you want it BUT pls be careful as well. The worst mistake that could ever happen is impregnating AA woman you dont like, You already know next is Child support! Dont get trapped. Of course, I am sure, You know all these!!

For the amazon Flex, I dont know if the word "FLEX" has an impact on the job. As you rightly said, The job is not that difficult and you rarely come across or lift so many heavy packages daily. the closest one to me in 45 mins drive(Skokie) and i have been dragging my feet about it .

As for Money, I know we are here to make money but money is still not everything. I have worked 3 jobs and some side hustle and made so much money that my bank questioned how i was able to make so much money like that. As the money keep dropping into my account, so I always make transfer into my other accounts. I have answered questions with both PNC and TCF banks and PNC eventually closed down my account and even my TCF is on a time bomb.

Also I come to realise the more money i make, the more responsiblities I have.. When you work work and work, I always tell my friends, when will you even have the time to enjoy this money? Now, I have 5 trips lined up for 2020(2 international trips) trying to go on vacations and enjoy the money i have so much worked for..

Bro, I am not preaching to you about how to live your life BUT 4 jobs? I salute you.. Oya, drop something for the boys grin grin

When una go host Chicago guys for thanksgiving? tongue

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Teejazy(m): 7:41pm On Nov 05, 2019
Senorita123:
Congrats bro. Going through dis your thread and d pix actually made me drool. The Lord that changed your status will change mine too very soon. This country Nigeria has no plan for the youths nor d masses. Na d fastest way to leave dey hunger me. We keep hoping it will get better but it keeps getting worse. Ppl keep saying no place like home but in the real sense to me, home is where joy is and where people can boast of a comfortable life whether abroad or local. Home is where the life of the citizens are more important than anything. Home is where an average citizen can afford 3 square meals per day. Home is where security is well guaranteed. Home is where there is no huge discrepancy between the rich and the poor. Home is where our resources and funds are not being embezzled by our corrupt leaders . Home is where there are job provisions for graduates. HOME is where there is HOPE!! Home is, home is, home is, home is.................. ABROAD.......

U remember this I posted in 2016

Good news

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. You finally made it.
Home is, home is, home is, home is.................. ABROAD....... grin grin

#20th August, 2019....I FINALLY MADE IT HOME...Message: Have a dream and work towards making it a reality....God bless

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 7:52pm On Nov 05, 2019
Dremca:
You didn't consider Chase, Wells cargo or BoA. At least, they are use to huge deposit and yours won't amaze them. Imagine if Nigerian banks closes accounts with unknown source, Nigeria will be better. Nigerian banks contribute so much to the corruption in Nigeria. Many Nigerian banks still operate multiple accounts with different names belonging to a single individual without BVN. I believe such can't happen in America.

Chase was the first bank to shut me down overnight. I received a zelle transfer from someone that does bitcoin business. The transfer failed and next day, account was closed down. BOA is my joint account

I have learnt to do things by the book according to bank rules. They want every money coming into your account be accounted for, know the source.

They don't want cash lodgement as they cant verify the source, all to prevent money laundering. Its a good move, i believe!

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.