Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,882 members, 7,810,386 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682495 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 14, 2017
justwise:

That is cheap, the U.K takes £1236 from you.
That is super expensive shocked
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 14, 2017
CFCman:

The German anecdote is interesting. Maybe the German authorities want to ensure that such Germans aren't double-agents lol.

For the Brits, it will be like a 'downgrade' for them to seek the citizenship of their former colony. It's akin to a Brit seeking Nigerian citizenship grin

My ex In Laws kept their LPR for decades in the US until they both passed. The kids were bastards though for burying them both in the US instead of UK like they wanted.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
For LPRs, it is actually 5yrs to citizenship not 4
If married to USC, it is 3 yrs.

EgunMogaji:

Because many have pride. Not everyone is from impoverished countries.

you are right bro.
I know some people here who will not even embrace the chance to have a green card.
Green cards require you spend most of your time in the USA, a condition they are not willing to comply with.

So they'll rather use their Dropbox service jeje.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by justwise(m): 6:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
CFCman:

That is super expensive shocked

Unfortunately people got no choice than to pay it.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by edwife(f): 6:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:
Prepared small stew and rice. Here are some of the ingredients used for the stew

First of all congratulation and i am so loving your posts. May you find success in your new found world and may you excel there.

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 14, 2017
sledjama:
For LPRs, it is actually 5yrs to citizenship not 4
If married to USC, it is 3 yrs.

you are right bro.
I know some people here who will not even embrace the chance to have a green card.
Green cards require you spend most of your time in the USA, a condition they are not willing to comply with.

So they'll rather use their Dropbox service jeje.

You can get citizenship in 1 year via military service, many Nigerians that came in under visa waiver went into military for this. There's at least 3 Nairalanders that I know.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jan 14, 2017
Application fee for US Citizenship is:

N–400 Application for Naturalization2 $640

plus

Biometric Services Fee $85

Total - $725

Of course, if you had conditional LPR then you would have had to remove conditions after 2 years which is - $680

Welcome to America, land of the FREE, we accept Visa and Mastercard and oh yeah American Express but not Discover (they are communists) grin

Source: me because I paid for my Wife but just in case https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 7:17pm On Jan 14, 2017
CFCman:

I don't know why some people decline to not apply for citizenship.
I had a British classmate in college whose parents had been living here for over 15 years as Permanent Residents, but not wanting to become citizens. She told me that her parents do not want to lose their 'Britishness' cheesy
grin grin

Britishness gbakwu okwu (if you are Igbo you will know what this means grin cheesy)

I wish I could get a second passport tho, because the Nigerian passport that I use to travel, I know wetin I dey suffer with am

Anyways it's all fine tho.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 7:21pm On Jan 14, 2017
CFCman:

The German anecdote is interesting. Maybe the German authorities want to ensure that such Germans aren't double-agents lol.

For the Brits, it will be like a 'downgrade' for them to seek the citizenship of their former colony. It's akin to a Brit seeking Nigerian citizenship grin

Lol @ The Brits

Whether they like it or not, America is a greater country than Britain, and I bet it's mostly the older generation who think this way

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 7:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:

My ex In Laws kept their LPR for decades in the US until they both passed. The kids were bastards though for burying them both in the US instead of UK like they wanted.

LOL @BASTARDS.... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
Ugosample:

grin grin

Britishness gbakwu okwu (if you are Igbo you will know what this means grin cheesy)

I wish I could get a second passport tho, because the Nigerian passport that I use to travel, I know wetin I dey suffer with am

Anyways it's all fine tho.

Haha

I love my Brits though
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 8:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
edwife:

First of all congratulation and i am so loving your posts. May you find success in your new found world and may you excel there.

Amen thanks a bunch i really appreciate it. And God bless you too. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 14, 2017
Bossman:

Congrats! Yep, nothing is stopping you now. It's all on the amount of hard work you can put in. As I have already posted, this is the land of opportunity that rewards hard work and education accordingly. You do not need to know anyone to get ahead in life. Just work hard and do the right thing.
bro i like that.................land of opportunity smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 14, 2017
FrankNetter:

You know this wink wink
my dude...........success is yours in Jesus name

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 9:01pm On Jan 14, 2017
FrankNetter:

Lol. Isn't it funny how you just hate on someone you haven't even met before. See how stupid you sound?

You're here, on this thread, looking for pictures but at the same time, showcasing your stupidity everywhere. grin

You saw the title of the thread, clicked on it, read through till this present page and came to the conclusion that I am the cause this thread was derailed? You are a special kind of stupid.

I never said I'm the first to travel abroad, neither will I be the last.The joke is on you right now, I'm presently having the time of my life in the United States of America! grin you on the other hand are hating from the confines of the shackles of your mental slavery.

The beauty of this thread is: I'm enjoying myself in the UNITED STATES OF FVCKING AMERICA; I will post what I like, and there's nothing you can do about that. grin grin

Nicely said.. Tell em mofos, let em know.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 9:02pm On Jan 14, 2017
sirRiddy:
This your rice soft so?

Lol.. yea its actually soft wink

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 9:04pm On Jan 14, 2017
FrankNetter:
Good news guys, my permanent residency card just arrived in the mail. grin

Happiness is too mild an adjective to describe how I feel right now,

Do you know what this entails?

This means the level of success I would attain in this country is directly proportional to the level of hardwork I put in. Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm for life at this moment. The sky is not just my limit, it's my stepping stone. cool

This is indeed a very great news, Congrats bro. I'm about to start processing mine too. I heard it doesnt take time to gt now. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 10:19pm On Jan 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Application fee for US Citizenship is:

N–400 Application for Naturalization2 $640

plus

Biometric Services Fee $85

Total - $725

Of course, if you had conditional LPR then you would have had to remove conditions after 2 years which is - $680

Welcome to America, land of the FREE, we accept Visa and Mastercard and oh yeah American Express but not Discover (they are communists) grin

Source: me because I paid for my Wife but just in case https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees
Bro am still a novice and am curious too,have been reading silently, does this work for those who migrate through student visa, i want to migrate very soon to USA, but am wondering if its possible for me to live permanently over there after my education, like say masters programme. thanks

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 14, 2017
vickertony:
Bro am still a novice and am curious too,have been reading silently, does this work for those who migrate through student visa, i want to migrate very soon to USA, but am wondering if its possible for me to live permanently over there after my education, like say masters programme. thanks

Of you can. You can always change your status based on:

Employment: Trust me, if you happen to discover the cure for cancer or aids, Trump himself will personally come to your house to give you green card.

Family: If you happen to fall in love and marry a citizen, then you're good to go but expect USCIS to vet you properly.

Business: Not sure of the current threshold, but if you open or buy a business of a certain amount (was $500,000) and employ a number of US citizens (was 2) then you're good to go. Not sure why many Nigerians don't do this. I've met many other Africans that did this but never a Nigerian.

Assylum: Not sure that any Nigerian qualified for this.

My advice is to get the best grade that you can.

Good luck.

9 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 10:53pm On Jan 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Employment: Trust me, if you happen to discover the cure for cancer or aids, Trump himself will personally come to your house to give you green card.

Family: If you happen to fall in love and marry a citizen, then you're good to go but expect USCIS to vet you properly.

Business: Not sure of the current threshold, but if you open or buy a business of a certain amount (was $500,000) and employ a number of US citizens (was 2) then you're good to go. Not sure why many Nigerians don't do this. I've met many other Africans that did this but never a Nigerian.

Good luck.
what of through student visa, eg how come op got permanent residence so soon am just curious bro, i read somewhere in Canada thread, you can apply for pr after you graduate..... isn't applicable to usa!? the above recommendations is really tough for a student moving from Nigeria, you know how it is over here.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 14, 2017
vickertony:
what of through student visa, eg how come op got permanent residence so soon am just curious bro, i read somewhere in Canada thread, you can apply for pr after you graduate..... isn't applicable to usa!? the above recommendations is really tough for a student moving from Nigeria, you know how it is over here.

I don't know how OP got his but I will guess it was via family petition.

If your Mum, Dad, etc filed for you then you'll eventually enter as LPR when their priority date comes up.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

As far as I know, there is no direct automatic path to LPR for students, but like I said earlier I am not an expert.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Laird(m): 11:13pm On Jan 14, 2017
As A student, if You studied a science or technology or engineering or mathematics course in approved schools in the U.S, You can on graduation work in an area of your course in an american organisation under OPT.....Optional training for up to 3 years.....its a government programme

Best to.look at h1B cap exempt jobs....google search that

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:24am On Jan 15, 2017
For those who are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLQH_bNuR3A

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Good luck.

With regard to Asylum, Nigerian homosexuals could qualify for it. The Nigerian citizen in question would have to show that he/she would suffer persecution due to their sexual preference, back in Nigeria.

"Asylum may not be granted to an alien unless the Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General determines that the alien is a refugee who is outside any country of such person's nationality, or in case of a person having no nationality, is outside any country in which such person last habitually resided, and who is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion." - 8 U.S.C. 1158

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 3:16am On Jan 15, 2017
vickertony:

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by signature2012(m): 3:45am On Jan 15, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

Yea it is possible... You process it and you would be issued a green card later. Have some close relatives that came through student visas too and all havee their green cards already and some of them have gotten citizenship while some are still waitin to get their citizenship. Im here on a student visa too and I'm about to start processing my green card too.

Kindly elaborate better...

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:46am On Jan 15, 2017
FrankNetter:
Good news guys, my permanent residency card just arrived in the mail. grin
Hmmm..... Green Card in the mail...from the Post Office.... and I guess later your Citizenship Certificate and later your US Passport will all arrive in the mail. Can you imagine when NIPOST would ehmmm
....let me shut up! Congrats!

22 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:05am On Jan 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You can get citizenship in 1 year via military service, many Nigerians that came in under visa waiver went into military for this. There's at least 3 Nairalanders that I know.
then they have to serve for a minimum of 5 years or have the citizenship revoked.
the only benefit here is getting the citizenship quickly and well, other military perks

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:33am On Jan 15, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmm..... Green Card in the mail...from the Post Office.... and I guess later your Citizenship Certificate and later your US Passport will all arrive in the mail. Can you imagine when NIPOST would ehmmm
....let me shut up! Congrats!
Exactly
I also received my passport 3 weeks after I applied for it at the....post office

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:38am On Jan 15, 2017
sledjama:

then they have to serve for a minimum of 5 years or have the citizenship revoked.
the only benefit here is getting the citizenship quickly and well, other military perks

Not true at all about the service years.

Please post a link to a USCIS source.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:39am On Jan 15, 2017
CFCman:

Exactly
I also received my passport 3 weeks after I applied for it at the....post office

My wife was shocked when she received our daughters passport in the mail a week after we applied for it grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.