Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,186 members, 7,815,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683073 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 10:55pm On Jan 15, 2017
berryice:
Tnx op...am really enjoying d story..i pray I ve opportunity someday to share mine too....cos America is really a place to visit or stay grin

I've had the chance to visit Europe. Infact i'm posting this from my hotel room in Brussels... Visiting makes me appreciate living in the US. I would never consider moving away from the US permanently - except to live in Canada (which is basically an extension of the American lifestyle to be honest).

Life is not 100% great here, but if you work hard, stay on the good side of the law and make friends... you will absolutely love living in the US. Come on down! Just do it legally.

24 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 10:56pm On Jan 15, 2017
richardbrandy:
God Would Richly Bless U Frank Netter,bossman,maternal,signature 2012,tw Woods And Others I Dint Mention Have Really Learned Alot From This Thread And U Guys Are Awsome Right From Childhood Have Always Dreamt Of Travelling To Yankee But No Help Am Already 23 Now And It Has Gotten Worse These Few Days I Cant Stop Thinking About Travelling Out This Thread Really Motivated Me And Inspired Me And I Know Now Anything Is Possible Thanks In A Million Guys
exactly! like me, we will succeed, just double your hustle, what must be, must be!

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 10:57pm On Jan 15, 2017
OluDare01:

I will beat your record grin

my brother... please go ahead. The more the merrier.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 10:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

Both you and Maternal are wrong on this. I know a couple of people that got in to the US with student visa (Masters degree) and now they are green card holders. You both may be right on your parts ooo, but I'm also saying this from what i know and have seen, and not just a hearsay..

We're talking probability. I know a lot of people in Canada who have gone through this, including my cousin. This is first hand experience. The Canadian government is basically begging young and educated students to come. Why go to the US with a soon to be anti-immigration President who has promised to create a task force to deport people. To each it's own I guess.

International graduates of Canadian universities are “the perfect candidates” for citizenship, says immigration minister

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/news/news-article/canadian-government-signals-renewed-openness-international-students/

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 11:02pm On Jan 15, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

Both you and Maternal are wrong on this. I know a couple of people that got in to the US with student visa (Masters degree) and now they are green card holders. You both may be right on your parts ooo, but I'm also saying this from what i know and have seen, and not just a hearsay..

You can't base this on just two people you know. It could be that those two people had masters degrees in niche areas where jobs are in rich supply and there are not a lot of US citizens/ PRs with those skills. Most US companies do not want foreigners because of the time and cost in filing a work visa for that individual. With Trump and Jeff Sessions, you can rest assured that there will be a massive overhaul of the job and family immigration system which will make things far more difficult. So don't assume.

For example - it is very likely that the DV lottery will soon be eliminated. Its elimination has been proposed in several house bills for the last few years and this might be the year it finally goes away. There is now a proposal to raise the minimum salary for foreign workers to $100,000... how many companies can afford to pay a foreign bachelor's degree holder that unless you come with superhuman intelligence?

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 11:04pm On Jan 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

It's the greatest country on earth but sha Ibadan sweet pass grin
na so! Dugbe n Mokola sure na grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by berryice(f): 11:14pm On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

I've had the chance to visit Europe. Infact i'm posting this from my hotel room in Brussels... Visiting makes me appreciate living in the US. I would never consider moving away from the US permanently - except to live in Canada (which is basically an extension of the American lifestyle to be honest).

Life is not 100% great here, but if you work hard, stay on the good side of the law and make friends... you will absolutely love living in the US. Come on down! Just do it legally.
yea sure...just stay away from trouble,do d right tin...I tink we would all enjoy d good side of America..Tnx for d tip anywayz

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

You can't base this on just two people you know. It could be that those two people had masters degrees in niche areas where jobs are in rich supply and there are not a lot of US citizens/ PRs with those skills. Most US companies do not want foreigners because of the time and cost in filing a work visa for that individual. With Trump and Jeff Sessions, you can rest assured that there will be a massive overhaul of the job and family immigration system which will make things far more difficult. So don't assume.

For example - it is very likely that the DV lottery will soon be eliminated. Its elimination has been proposed in several house bills for the last few years and this might be the year it finally goes away. There is now a proposal to raise the minimum salary for foreign workers to $100,000... how many companies can afford to pay a foreign bachelor's degree holder that unless you come with superhuman intelligence?

You didn't get me correctly. I didn't say two people. I said couple of people and what i mean is that i know quite a number of people who camr to US with student visa and have green cards now, not two people. And as for other things you said, well i have nothin more to say. Lets just smwatch and see how things unfolds.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 11:57pm On Jan 15, 2017
lagosrd:

How expensive and easy is it to get a masters degree programme or diploma in Canada.

You can check on any University's web site under the international student section. How easy ? We'll you'd have to do the actual work, no bribing.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:00am On Jan 16, 2017
maternal:

We're talking probability. I know a lot of people in Canada who have gone through this, including my cousin. This is first hand experience. The Canadian government is basically begging young and educated students to come. Why go to the US with a soon to be anti-immigration President who has promised to create a task force to deport people. To each it's own I guess.

International graduates of Canadian universities are “the perfect candidates” for citizenship, says immigration minister

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/news/news-article/canadian-government-signals-renewed-openness-international-students/
. I understand your point perfectly. The Canadian government gives citizenship to international students while the US doesn't Im not disputing that buh my point is that the smart international students also have their own way of gettin their green cards and also citizenship in the long run. They have a way of manouvering things to get the green card and im talkin from what i know. Like i said '' The smart ones''
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 12:00am On Jan 16, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

You didn't get me correctly. I didn't say two people. I said couple of people and what i mean is that i know quite a number of people who camr to US with student visa and have green cards now, not two people. And as for other things you said, well i have nothin more to say. Lets just smwatch and see how things unfolds.

My guy, everything in life is based on supply/demand. The US is filled. 320 million people and not including the undocumented. They have a BETTER chance of being granted a green card in Canada. That's all we're saying. Please stop spreading ignorant news around. You're playing with peoples lives here.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 12:02am On Jan 16, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:
. I understand your point perfectly. The Canadian government gives citizenship to international students while the US doesn't Im not disputing that buh my point is that the smart international students also have their own way of gettin their green cards and also citizenship in the long run. They have a way of manouvering things tobgetvthe green card and im talkin from what i know. Like i said '' The smart ones''

No. There is no way to maneuver your way to getting a green card. There is a set process that is 100% dependent on your employer.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 12:03am On Jan 16, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:
. I understand your point perfectly. The Canadian government gives citizenship to international students while the US doesn't Im not disputing that buh my point is that [b]the smart international students also have their own way of gettin their green cards and also citizenship [/b]in the long run. They have a way of manouvering things tobgetvthe green card and im talkin from what i know. Like i said '' The smart ones''

This leads to yahoo yahoo, illegal dealings. Be smart all you want, if your president is anti-immigration and will close most paths to a green card/citizenship, what can one do ? That's when one starts living underground, getting scared of any police car that goes by. Or you can save all that issues, come to Canada, the migrate down south once you get citizenship. It's an easier and safer route.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:05am On Jan 16, 2017
maternal:

My guy, everything in life is based on supply/demand. The US is filled. 320 million people and not including the undocumented. They have a BETTER chance of being granted a green card in Canada. That's all we're saying. Please stop spreading ignorant news around. You're playing with peoples lives here.
I perfectly understand you too and I would truly advice people yo go to Canada instead of US cos Canada freely grants citizenship while US doesn't. All i was just sayin as that people also have ways of manouvering things in the US too to get the green card buh it takes some processes and time as well . Thats all I'm sayin. Buh as you said, Canada would be preferable for those who wants easy citizenship.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:07am On Jan 16, 2017
TWoods:

No. There is no way to maneuver your way to getting a green card. There is a set process that is 100% dependent on your employer.

Lol. What if i tell you i have a relative here in the US that came in as a student for masters and now has a green card and didn't get it thru any employer or whatever? Infact, he is already an employer here in US himself. Only say what you know. Im not sayin you're wrong buh don't say im wrong too.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 12:12am On Jan 16, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

Lol. What if i tell you i have a relative here in the US that came in as a student for masters and now has a green card and didn't get it thru any rmployer or whatever? Infact, he is already an employer here in US himself. Only say what you know. Im not sayin you're wrong buh don't say im wrong too.

There are two ways to get a green card here - employer or family route. Perhaps you dont have much information regarding your relative.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 12:13am On Jan 16, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:
I perfectly understand you too and I would truly advice people yo go to Canada instead of US cos Canada freely grants citizenship while US doesn't. All i was just sayin as that people also have ways[b] of manouvering things in the US too to get the green card buh it takes some processes and time as [/b]well . Thats all I'm sayin. Buh as you said, Canada would be preferable for those who wants easy citizenship.

Not with Trump coming into power in a few days. One will find themselves in Ajegunle real quick. But at least they'll own their own house ?

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:15am On Jan 16, 2017
maternal:

Not with Trump coming into power in a few days. One will find themselves in Ajegunle real quick. But at least they'll own their own house ?

Lol. Yea sure
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:16am On Jan 16, 2017
TWoods:

There are two ways to get a green card here - employer or family route. Perhaps you dont have much information regarding your relative.

Lol... Now youre gettin what im sayin. ''The family'' thing. I wont say more wink
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 1:04am On Jan 16, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

Lol... Now youre gettin what im sayin. ''The family'' thing. I wont say more wink

he married for a green card? That's fraud you know.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 1:06am On Jan 16, 2017
TWoods:

he married for a green card? That's fraud you know.

Lol. Its you that know that one ooo

16 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Femcesc07(m): 2:36am On Jan 16, 2017
At the bold, it got me laughing like kilode grin grin grin
maternal:

Sorry just to add one more thing to keep things in perspective.The one giving you advise usually doesn't have papers themselves. You'll be surprised to wake up one day and Chinedu who you were chillin with not too long ago is calling you from naija.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by richardbrandy: 6:17am On Jan 16, 2017
vickertony:
exactly! like me, we will succeed, just double your hustle, what must be, must be!
I Dey Feel You My Guy E Must Happen

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lagosrd: 7:45am On Jan 16, 2017
maternal:

Hello pretty, thank so much for your response, I have been following your comments ND others on this section for a while now. And also thanks for the reply. But is seems the school fees thing is on a high side. What other way and easier way to get into Canada with my family. Will appreciate your response. Thanks
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by charzyh2: 2:40pm On Jan 16, 2017
Bossman:
The skills that can help land a job with good pay are Computer programming, any of the engineering fields (civil, electrical, etc), Medical Doctor, Nurse, etc. As an IT consultant (Application developer/programmer), I can certainly tell you that even a fresher with only 2 years out of college can command upwards of $60/hr, depending on experience. Everything is getting automated, so you can't go wrong with programming and any of the fields above. BTW, I have been doing this for a very long time.

Not saying the other fields are not ok, but these ones will land you a job quickly.

PS. The certifications, computer programming degree, etc. should be done after arriving. Anything computer related from Nigeria will not hold any weight here at all. We do serious coding/programming in the schools here.

I'm coming as a student. Can I still work as an outsourced computer programmer + studies and and the 20hrs/week job?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
maternal:

Hello bro! Need to ask you a question pls.
Could you give an insights into how a person with graduate degree from Canada can switch to high paying oilfield jobs? Like what would be the easiest pathway?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 3:24pm On Jan 16, 2017
Your relative has not disclosed to you exactly how he got the green card. Definitely not based on his masters! Unless may be the masters is a very rare one and there is a need for people with that particular masters. I just can't imagine that's the case.

MISTAICEY02288:

Lol. What if i tell you i have a relative here in the US that came in as a student for masters and now has a green card and didn't get it thru any employer or whatever? Infact, he is already an employer here in US himself. Only say what you know. Im not sayin you're wrong buh don't say im wrong too.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 3:28pm On Jan 16, 2017
I highly doubt it.

charzyh2:

I'm coming as a student. Can I still work as an outsourced computer programmer + studies and and the 20hrs/week job?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lymelyte(m): 3:29pm On Jan 16, 2017
You have said it all.
Darey00:
NIGERIA

Pros
- Freedom to walk anywhere without fear of racial profiling or attacks
- You can bend rules if u know the right people and have the right cash (Part of our problems but hey it's an advantage anyway)
- Communal belonging

Cons
- Order of things are not in existence
- Basic amenities are being so deprived of us that they have become luxuries
- Corruption is so deep that we just vote for the lesser evils among our leaders
- Tribal discord

ABROAD (US, UK, & Canada)

Pros

- Law and order in place
- Basic amenities are readily available
- Opportunities abound and u are properly rewarded for labour

Cons

- High cost of living in form of taxes and daily neccesities
- The racial discrimination always there regardless of how u may try to hide it
- Loneliness may set in as people tend to mind their business
- A small scape with the law can land u in serious trouble..
- Worrisome gun laws in the US

The way I see it, it all depends on which risk u are willing to take. We keep saying 9ja is bad (me sef lol) but people are still making it without setting foot abroad. Likewise travelling out is not always equal to be instantly better than ur 9ja peeps.
I for one if I was given the choice would gladly emigrate to the US.. as I believe I stand a better chance there. That is not to castigate Nigeria as our problems are deeply rooted not only in our leaders but our orientation.. So we are all part of the problem.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 3:32pm On Jan 16, 2017
Bossman:
Your relative has not disclosed to you exactly how he got the green card. Definitely not based on his masters! Unless may be the masters is a very rare one and there is a need for people with that particular masters. I just can't imagine that's the case.

I guess you haven't read my other posts after that. And i can't see where i said he got his green card based on his masters degree. Check all my next posts and replies to see what I'm saying.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by charzyh2: 3:33pm On Jan 16, 2017
Bossman:
I highly doubt it.

If I advertise on the internet, won't anyone patronise? cry
Bossman:
I highly doubt it.

If I advertise on the internet, won't anyone patronise?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 4:24pm On Jan 16, 2017
lagosrd:

Hello pretty, thank so much for your response, I have been following your comments ND others on this section for a while now. And also thanks for the reply. But is seems the school fees thing is on a high side. What other way and easier way to get into Canada with my family. Will appreciate your response. Thanks

Migrating is not cheap. And the Canadian government will not have one come here and start collecting benefits without chipping into the system. Usually school or applying as a skilled worker is the way to go. But both need you to have a decent amount of money. Unless you come as a refugee, you're going to have to pay. But please remember I am not a immigration lawyer. These are just my opinions based on personal experience and the experience of other family member/friends.

10 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.