Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,922 members, 7,821,227 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684309 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by andycoal40(m): 1:40am On Mar 25, 2017
Chelseafan1:

Where are you based?
lagos...but can work in ondo state too
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by seyema(m): 2:29am On Mar 25, 2017
Chelseafan1:

Where in Osun?
Ikire
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by seyema(m): 2:30am On Mar 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Those that are making it big in Nigeria do not collect a paycheck from others, anyone that still collect a paycheck is really not that successful.

Figure out what you like to do, what your passions are and try to find funding to nurture it.

When I come home I keep my eye out for opportunities that I can invest in during my retirement, my Brother they abound.

You are right. But most things are easier said than done when you don't have don't have enough capital
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 25, 2017
OluDare01:

with grammatical blunders grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Chelseafan1: 7:25am On Mar 25, 2017
seyema:

Ikire

I stay in Ife and the only job I have for you is teaching.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 11:23am On Mar 25, 2017
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by alfonso36(m): 6:53pm On Mar 26, 2017
hello frank i told you about sending stuff here for me to sell a while ago, kindly let me know if you are still interested, or i could send you some cash to start with, eg like those bicycles and electronic appliances you posted the other time, i need to do something with my life bro and i think starting with you might just be my lottery thanks

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 10:54am On Mar 28, 2017
@FrankNetter, What's up?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by charzyh2: 2:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Those that are making it big in Nigeria do not collect a paycheck from others, anyone that still collect a paycheck is really not that successful.

Figure out what you like to do, what your passions are and try to find funding to nurture it.

When I come home I keep my eye out for opportunities that I can invest in during my retirement, my Brother they abound.

You can't be as hardworking as I am. I'm 24 and I've learnt 5 trades already . I had sleepless nights through out last year learning codes and business finance on edx and coursera. It got to a time while I was working towards a partnership that my idea got stolen by a rice processing company in Niger. I was not a fan of "travel for green pasture" but my Pastor advised me to seek my comfort before country's. Imagine Pastor saying "hardwork doesn't pay in Nigeria"; that I need a bit of luck to scale through. I swear you don't love Nigeria as I do. If you have the passion as you claim why don't you take the next flight back home. I've been admitted to Computer Information Technology program in USA and I will keep working hard. Doing business in Nigeria is far more dangerous than fighting boko haram. Ask any genuine business owner in Nigeria. Nigeria doesn't have 'people' problem. Nigeria only has 'system' problem. If the right system can be put in place Nigeria will be fine. Nigerians are not lazy.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
charzyh2:

You can't be as hardworking as I am. (That's a ridiculous assumption. I have developed myself to a point that I don't need to work hard but work smarter - I pay people to do my hard work).

I'm 24 and I've learnt 5 trades already . (Good for you, now put them to use. At least one of the five should be fruitful. Before I left Nigeria at the age of 20, I worked at Cooperative Bank, was rebuilding motorcycles and cars).

I had sleepless nights through out last year learning codes and business finance on edx and coursera. (Hope it works out for you, whatever those are).

It got to a time while I was working towards a partnership that my idea got stolen by a rice processing company in Niger. (Why so much bad luck? Na only you waka come?)

I was not a fan of "travel for green pasture" but my Pastor advised me to seek my comfort before country's. (Many of us are fans of travelling out to develop our knowledge. Don't knock us out of frustration).

Imagine Pastor saying "hardwork doesn't pay in Nigeria"; that I need a bit of luck to scale through. (Well, some Pastors are also scandalous so I'm not surprised).

I swear you don't love Nigeria as I do. (Yet another assinine suggestions - just because you sit in Nigeria and leech off of her doesn't make you patriotic - how much tax have you paid last in the past 5 years to Nigeria? How much money have you infused into the Nigerian economy? - Let me know when you are ready to compare receipts).

If you have the passion as you claim why don't you take the next flight back home. (Because some of us actually have life plans and goals and we don't jump from one scheme to another. When it's time to come home I'll be home, this has nothing to do with you and I don't work off of your schedule).

I've been admitted to Computer Information Technology program in USA and I will keep working hard. (Many people get admitted to schools all over the world, not an earth shattering deal).

Doing business in Nigeria is far more dangerous than fighting boko haram. (Doing business is hard anywhere in the world - Nigeria is not on Mars and unique).

Ask any genuine business owner in Nigeria. (I am a genuine business owner in Nigeria so I don't have to go off on a fools errand).

Nigeria doesn't have 'people' problem. (She does, Nigeria has a lot of corrupt people).

Nigeria only has 'system' problem. (She doesn't. Nigerian has people problem).

If the right system can be put in place Nigeria will be fine. (The only thing I agree with on this early morning rant).

Nigerians are not lazy. (Some are the epitome of laziness)

Dude, why are you taking this personal?

Save your energy to continue to develop yourself instead of ranting and raving online.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by charzyh2: 4:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Save your energy to continue to develop yourself instead of ranting and raving online.

You think you are making points but you are only giving us reasons why we should leave this hell f.. Can you just imagine poor you in Nigeria went to USA. Now you've made it as you claim. You now have employees in two countries. Me too wan be like u. I like ur profile na. Just do normal cuz we gether dey make same point.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by charzyh2: 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Moreover keep calm. Let's enjoy amelika too

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 31, 2017
charzyh2:

You think you are making points but you are only giving us reasons why we should leave this place. Can you just imagine poor you in Nigeria went to USA. Now you've made it as you claim. You now have employees in two countries. Me too wan be like u. I like ur profile na. Just do normal cuz we gether dey make same point

I never once said that, please na beg I beg una cheesy
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 31, 2017
charzyh2:

Moreover keep calm. Let's enjoy amelika too

You know, the reality is that people have been travelling out since the days of boats to Europe.

All that I'm saying is that one can also make it in Nigeria too. I'm just trying to support those that chose to stay in Nigeria.

Americas door is always wide open. Delta Airlines dey fill their plane every night from Lagos to Atlanta. Just do it legitimately with proper paperwork is all that I'm also saying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:19pm On Mar 31, 2017
Hey guys, i got pulled over by the police yesterday grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:19pm On Mar 31, 2017
The fact that I'm typing this means I wasn't shot and killed grin. Lemme knack you guys the gist. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:36pm On Mar 31, 2017
alfonso36:
hello frank i told you about sending stuff here for me to sell a while ago, kindly let me know if you are still interested, or i could send you some cash to start with, eg like those bicycles and electronic appliances you posted the other time, i need to do something with my life bro and i think starting with you might just be my lottery thanks

My brother, I loaded the items into a car my uncle was sending back to nigeria to be sold. I also added two hd tv sets. The car was cleared last week or so. One of the tv sets, along with two printers are missing. I weak

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
FrankNetter:
The fact that I'm typing this means I wasn't shot and killed grin. Lemme knack you guys the gist. grin grin

i don miss u die
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by toluine56(m): 5:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
FrankNetter:
Waiting bro.
You over speed ni abi wetin?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:15pm On Mar 31, 2017
toluine56:

Waiting bro.
You over speed ni abi wetin?

Wait small for the gist na. Why your blood dey hot? grin

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
tescoman90:

i don miss u die

My guy, how body? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2017
Yesterday was a wet day.

I was supposed to drop my younger siblings in school at about 12:00 pm. So, after doing the necessary house chores and all, we got set to leave. Their school is like 20mins drive from the house. Did I mention earlier? my younger sis is studying Pharmacy, while my bro is studying Nursing.

I dey drive jejely o, dey mind my business. After like 15 mins, we arrived at our destination, I dropped them off and started heading home.

Like I mentioned earlier, it was drizzling lightly, so I was minding my speed so as to avoid skidding. The rain had started increased in intensity, so visibility was getting poorer.

On getting to a traffic light, it showed red. But here in the US, you can make a right turn if you stop and check if a car is coming from the opposite direction even if the light shows red.
As I turned onto the road and had started accelerating slowly, I noticed a police car materialize from thin air shocked

I checked my speedometer, I wasn't overspeeding, I checked seat belt, I had put it on earlier. Surely, no be me the guy wan pull over undecided

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 5:42pm On Mar 31, 2017
FrankNetter:
Yesterday was a wet day.

I was supposed to drop my younger siblings in school at about 12:00 pm. So, after doing the necessary house chores and all, we got set to leave. Their school is like 20mins drive from the house. Did I mention earlier? my younger sis is studying Pharmacy, while my bro is studying Nursing.

I dey drive jejely o, dey mind my business. After like 15 mins, we arrived at our destination, I dropped them off and started heading home.

Like I mentioned earlier, it was drizzling lightly, so I was minding my speed so as to avoid skidding. The rain had started increased in intensity, so visibility was getting poorer.

On getting to a traffic light, it showed red. But here in the US, you can make a right turn if you stop and check if a car is coming from the opposite direction even if the light shows red.
As I turned onto the road and had started accelerating slowly, I noticed a police car materialize from thin air shocked

I checked my speedometer, I wasn't overspeeding, I checked seat belt, I had put it on earlier. Surely, no be me the guy wan pull over undecided

You don't mean it shocked
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:42pm On Mar 31, 2017
Next thing, the police man veered onto my lane and was two cars behind me, he then overtook the car directly behind me and was now directly behind my vehicle. He then turned on his lights. my heart started pounding.

The rule here is, once a police vehicle directly behind you starts flashing its red and blue lights, "trafficate" and pull over

22 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:50pm On Mar 31, 2017
So, I turned on my indicator, looked for a spot by the side of the road and pulled over. I wound down, turned off my vehicle and waited.
The police vehicle pulled over behind mine. After some minutes, he came down and walked over to mine.

Here's the conversation that ensued:

Police: good day, can I see your license and vehicle insurance?
** I presented my license to him. He took a glance, told to me wait a moment, and walked back to his vehicle.

After like 2 minutes, he came back, handed me my license and asked me whether I knew why he pulled me over. I said I did not. He then pointed out that I was driving without my headlight on.

Apparently, its against the law to drive without your headlight on when its raining. He then advised me to always turn it on while driving during foggy conditions and also to print out my insurance papers and keep in the vehicle.
He then told me to have a nice day. grin

I had to even ask him, "I'm good?" He gave a little nod and walked back to his car.

The whole episode lasted less than 10 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity to me. grin grin grin grin

54 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 31, 2017
FrankNetter:
Yesterday was a wet day.

They're very good at that, appearing out of thin air grin

Re right turns: unless there's a sign that says you can't. You can also make a left from a one way street onto another one way street.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:55pm On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Unless there's a sign that says you can't. You can also make a left from a one way street onto another way street.

yup, yup.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 31, 2017
FrankNetter:

My guy, how body? cheesy

bro i dey kampe!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by toluine56(m): 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
FrankNetter you're getting used to the road network there.. Nice

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:40am On Apr 01, 2017
toluine56:
FrankNetter you're getting used to the road network there.. Nice

Yes o

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:49am On Apr 01, 2017
alfonso36:

I have you in mind bro. But my first "shipping" wasn't all that successful. I couldn't even sell the rest of the items, my cousins whisked them all away. I won't relent though, I know how much money can be made from this venture, once I find a better way, me and you go reason.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:26pm On Apr 01, 2017
O boy, yankee fine!

14 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.