Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,564 members, 7,816,380 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s (16250 Views)

Meet Chiamaka Deborah Motilewa, 25-Year-Old Covenant University PhD Holder / Motilewa Bolanle Becomes Covenant University's Youngest Phd Holder Ever Produced / Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 6:39pm On Dec 07, 2016
I would like to find out, from experienced minds how possible it is, for me to acquire a doctorate degree, in my 20s. Presently I'm studying anatomy which is a 4 year course, and not up to 20 yet, and i would like to further my education to the doctorate level.

I'm asking the question because most PhD holders i've happened to come across are usually people, whose age bracket we can estimate to be, between (45-65years) which made me wonder why acquiring the degree takes so much time, hence my question.

Your replies, Will be very much appreciated.

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by d4guy: 6:43pm On Dec 07, 2016
Yea sure, if u have the financial support and u probably sch abroad , because ASUU is also a factor .

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 6:47pm On Dec 07, 2016
d4guy:
Yea sure, if u have the financial support and u probably sch abroad , because ASUU is also a factor .

thanks, but my question is more concerned about how possible it is, in the Nigerian setting.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 6:50pm On Dec 07, 2016
cc lasticlala
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 7:34pm On Dec 07, 2016
Answers pls............really need them, in details, how long does the program take, how much does it take etc.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by oisujeh(m): 7:44pm On Dec 07, 2016
peacesamuel94:
Answers pls............really need them, in details, how long does the program take, how much does it take etc.
PhD in Nigeria is 3hrs. Amount depends on ur research area

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 7:59pm On Dec 07, 2016
oisujeh:
PhD in Nigeria is 3hrs. Amount depends on ur research area

sorry sir this sounds confusing could you make it clearer,
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by ccffwx: 8:22pm On Dec 07, 2016
Yes it is. Keep working hard.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 5:58am On Dec 08, 2016
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 6:00am On Dec 08, 2016
ccffwx:
Yes it is. Keep working hard.

Thanks, but you didn't give a clue as to how it is done
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by ccffwx: 6:10am On Dec 08, 2016
You said you're still young so finish your bachelors, go for service and start your Masters immediately. After that, start your PhD immediately. The only thing you'll need is money because postgraduate is expensive. Depending on your age, by 28, you should be through. Just keep working hard so that you finish well. Cheers!
peacesamuel94:

Thanks, but you didn't give a clue as to how it is done

12 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 6:14am On Dec 08, 2016
ccffwx:
You said you're still young so finish your bachelors, go for service and start your Masters immediately. After that, start your PhD immediately. The only thing you'll need is money because postgraduate is expensive. Depending on your age, by 28, you should be through. Just keep working hard so that you finish well. Cheers!

Thanks alot sir, but How long does a masters and PhD programme take.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by ccffwx: 6:19am On Dec 08, 2016
Go to your preferred school or website to find out. Then because it is pg, it also depends on the work you put in. You may finish in 11 months because you are serious but your course mate may finish in 3 years because of different reasons (Masters). So keep working hard. Cheers!
peacesamuel94:

Thanks alot sir, but How long does a masters and PhD programme take.

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 6:33am On Dec 08, 2016
ccffwx:
Go to your preferred school or website to find out. Then because it is pg, it also depends on the work you put in. You may finish in 11 months because you are serious but your course mate may finish in 3 years because of different reasons (Masters). So keep working hard. Cheers!

Thanks alot sir, this was so helpful.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 08, 2016
peacesamuel94:

Thanks alot sir, this was so helpful.

PhD is 5 years but if u fall into the wrong hand, ur supervisor can make it 15.

6 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 11:35am On Dec 08, 2016
LARRYDKING:

PhD is 5 years but if u fall into the wrong hand, ur supervisor can make it 15.

really, never knew it took that long.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
It depends on your a lot of factors.

Level of intelligence, dedication to research, monetary funds....

Let's say you finished university education at the age of 21.
A year voluntary service, making you 22 years old.
First you run your masters degree which can vary from 18 months to 3 years.
However, assuming you're extra dedicated let's say 18 months.

By then you're 23 turning 24 years old.

At that time, your parents, friend and what have you will prolly be pushing you to settle social obligations and other hubris of human life....
I'll take into factor a 2 year deficit before starting a doctorate program.

At that time, you'll be 25 turning 26.

A phD in nigeria can run from 5 to 15 years.

I'm assuming you're extradordinarily smart and humble (which is impossible, trust me cheesy) so you finish in say......6 years??

By then.... You're 30 turning 31.

This is not taking into consideration other factors like strikes, time delay by beauracracy, an unending bag of wealth; ability to cope under pressure and dedication to see it through.

So.........

Mission Impossible

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 12:08pm On Dec 08, 2016
SirWere:
It depends on your a lot of factors.

Level of intelligence, dedication to research, monetary funds....

Let's say you finished university education at the age of 21.
A year voluntary service, making you 22 years old.
First you run your masters degree which can vary from 18 months to 3 years.
However, assuming you're extra dedicated let's say 18 months.

By then you're 23 turning 24 years old.

At that time, your parents, friend and what have you will prolly be pushing you to settle social obligations and other hubris of human life....
I'll take into factor a 2 year deficit before starting a doctorate program.

At that time, you'll be 25 turning 26.

A phD in nigeria can run from 5 to 15 years.

I'm assuming you're extradordinarily smart and humble (which is impossible, trust me cheesy) so you finish in say......6 years??

By then.... You're 30 turning 31.

This is not taking into consideration other factors like strikes, time delay by beauracracy, an unending bag of wealth; ability to cope under pressure and dedication to see it through.

So.........

Mission Impossible

thanks very informative, although it sounds heartbreaking, i'll do my best to make the mission possible.

how about in an outside Nigeria setting.

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 08, 2016
peacesamuel94:

thanks very informative, although it sounds heartbreaking, i'll do my best to make the mission possible.

how about in an outside Nigeria setting.
Ahh.... Sorry bra..
Dude, tho, a doctorate is literally the highest award one can get in his career.
Unless you're a rich genius, it's almost impossible to get a doctorate in your twenties...

You could do it abroad tho....
But it'll still give almost the same result.

18 months to finish Masters.

It takes 3 - 5 years to get a degree overseas tho...

So..... 28/29 best case....

My advice tho; make money first before going for a doctorate.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 12:37pm On Dec 08, 2016
[quote author=SirWere post=51741401]
Ahh.... Sorry bra..
Dude, tho, a doctorate is literally the highest award one can get in his career.
Unless you're a rich genius, it's almost impossible to get a doctorate in your twenties...

You could do it abroad tho....
But it'll still give almost the same result.

18 months to finish Masters.

It takes 3 - 5 years to get a degree overseas tho...

So..... 28/29 best case....

My advice tho; make money first before going for a doctorate.[/quot

Alright bro, thanks for your replies, they were really helpful.

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 08, 2016
yes, it's possible. it depends on what you want to do and on the course. most courses require a masters before a PhD, but there're also programs that accept PhD candidates after undergrad. again, it depends on your own goals. you're still young, focus on finishing your 4-yr course first and doing well.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 1:21pm On Dec 08, 2016
iliketheSunrise:
yes, it's possible. it depends on what you want to do and on the course. most courses require a masters before a PhD, but there're also programs that accept PhD candidates after undergrad. again, it depends on your own goals. you're still young, focus on finishing your 4-yr course first and doing well.

Thanks, I'll certainly do That
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Ovipoet: 3:05am On Dec 09, 2016
A PhD degree can be best completed within 2-4 years, depending on your consistency and attitude to research.
4-8 semesters.
Which equals 2-4 years
Your supervisors play a Paramount role in determining if you will finish on time.
But let's say you are determined to go straight after bsc and masters for PhD, then the bulk of the work will be in your hand.
You can make it 5 or even 10 years, depending on your attitude to research.
But let's say you r fast and your supervisor is very serious, you can complete your PhD in 3 years here in Nigeria. And even before age 30.
Just be focused and make sure you get at least 65% and above in your masters or even a distinction so you can proceed for a PhD, if you score any lesser than that, you won't be able to proceed for PhD directly

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by dangotesmummy: 3:44am On Dec 09, 2016
Of course if you live a non distracting life.when you finally finish your first degree masters is like 2 years and PhD 3 years in a private university so iF you're able to finish your first degree and you're really passionate about academics then why not.

I've Seen academic doctors in their late 20s and early 30s
I've even Seen professors In their late 30s and 40s.it's all about dedication and consistency In research and producing a lot of publishable publications and journals

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 5:00pm On Dec 09, 2016
Ovipoet:
A PhD degree can be best completed within 2-4 years, depending on your consistency and attitude to research.
4-8 semesters.
Which equals 2-4 years
Your supervisors play a Paramount role in determining if you will finish on time.
But let's say you are determined to go straight after bsc and masters for PhD, then the bulk of the work will be in your hand.
You can make it 5 or even 10 years, depending on your attitude to research.
But let's say you r fast and your supervisor is very serious, you can complete your PhD in 3 years here in Nigeria. And even before age 30.
Just be focused and make sure you get at least 65% and above in your masters or even a distinction so you can proceed for a PhD, if you score any lesser than that, you won't be able to proceed for PhD directly

Thanks a bunch!, it seems its compulsory to go through the Master's program before talking about attaining PhD, that's what kills the time.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 5:09pm On Dec 09, 2016
dangotesmummy:
.it's all about dedication and consistency In research and producing a lot of publishable publications and journals

Thanks for the reply, heard that the above is also a major criteria needed to become a professor.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by dangotesmummy: 8:18pm On Dec 09, 2016
peacesamuel94:

Thanks for the reply, heard that the above is also a major criteria needed to become a professor.
true
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by emmasege: 6:32am On Dec 10, 2016
It's possible right here in Nigeria if you are so disciplined, focused and have the financial strength to pursue it, in the event that scholarship or grant is not forthcoming. Most people you see acquiring their PhD late have had to go in pursuit of other things, possibly looking for jobs with the intention of settling down first or to raise money for their PhD. When such people eventually go back, you don't expect thst they will move at the same speed as younger guys with no heavy commitment.

Age is still very much on your side to bag your PhD before 30. But for this useless NYSC scheme which has since lost its purpose, some guys could even bag PhD at age 25-28 now, because most lads on 4-yr programs now graduate around 20-22 years.

Yes, it's possible if you won't rush into marriage or the Labour market!

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by izzy4shizzy(m): 6:32am On Dec 10, 2016
In nigeria, it would be a miracle
Plus you still have to complete ur masters which in nigeria is 3+x years, x could be 0,1,2,3 depending on a lot of factors so like I said 20 years would be a miracle
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Goldenheart(m): 6:33am On Dec 10, 2016
Yep
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by majorbravo: 6:34am On Dec 10, 2016
In UK you could get it done in 4-5 years after Nigerian Bsc. 1 year masters + 3-4 years PhD. You can even finish PhD in 2 years in some cases. So its very possible.

If you started your Bsc in UK, some uni's place you directly on a PhD if you graduate with a first class (so 3+4 = 7 years from high school).
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Pavore9: 6:35am On Dec 10, 2016
Yes. I have a friend's daughter who is 21 and graduated with a B.A . She has applied for a PhD program in Counseling Psychology in some U.S universities and the duration is 5-6 years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: Ngige Expresses Optimism As Another Meeting With Lecturers Begins / Delsu Post Utme Aptitude Test Lecture 1: Anagram / 3 Things To Do To Make Your 2017 UTME Registration Faster And Stress Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.