Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s (16184 Views)

Meet Chiamaka Deborah Motilewa, 25-Year-Old Covenant University PhD Holder / Motilewa Bolanle Becomes Covenant University's Youngest Phd Holder Ever Produced / Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 9:49am On Dec 10, 2016
Bro by the time u finished nysc trust me 9ja Edu system wil make u loss interest in phd. grin
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by uzolexis(f): 9:53am On Dec 10, 2016
directonpc:
You are right sha! It's a cool dream when u have a rich dad to fund ur education till PhD
You don't have to have a rich Dad, after my Bsc,i got a full scholarship to do my MSc abroad and now applying for PhD scholarships as well. If you want to get something you work towards it, rich Dad or not.

4 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by normac: 10:06am On Dec 10, 2016
Outside Nigeria its very possible. My little cousin just got his PhD from the university of Leeds, graduation ceremony is next week and he just turned 26 at the beginning of this month. In short with a stable system, required funds and dedication, it can be done. He hasn't served yet sha...

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Kapose: 10:14am On Dec 10, 2016
It is possible in Nigeria. My elder brother got his PHD at 29 from UNILAG in 1993. He his now a professor in UNIBEN.
If you graduate at 20 and finish NYSC @ 22. You can enroll immediately for a 1 year full-time master and you can start your PHD afterwards. You will finish your PHD in 3 years if you are serious. By this time you will be about 27 or 28 years old.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by whillyamz98(m): 10:22am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:
I would like to find out, from experienced minds how possible it is, for me to acquire a doctorate degree, in my 20s. Presently I'm studying anatomy which is a 4 year course, and not up to 20 yet, and i would like to further my education to the doctorate level.

I'm asking the question because most PhD holders i've happened to come across are usually people, whose age bracket we can estimate to be, between (45-65years) which made me wonder why acquiring the degree takes so much time, hence my question.

Your replies, Will be very much appreciated.

Of course it's possible
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by sfinkzslot(m): 10:25am On Dec 10, 2016
Oboy u should have started bsc since age <15, and a genius too, which sorry to say u are not one
tongue
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by sirmelody(m): 10:35am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

Thanks alot sir, but How long does a masters and PhD programme take.
ur own too much o. 4rm ur post u are still an undergraduate so while nt round up b4 talking of Phd. Beside u can still get d information u nid 4rm ur HOD or ur dean even some of ur lecturers might have attended to dat level seek their advice they will be willing to guide u tru. All d same best of luck.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Dele2016(m): 10:53am On Dec 10, 2016
Hello Nigerians, please I need your help with a cause... My chances of making the first three finalists depend on the number of votes that I have and obviously, some people from other countries are way ahead, but I know Nigerians can turn around things. Please help a fellow Nigeria win
Please, help add your vote to support me. I have been selected as one of the 15 semi finalists of United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification Youth Social Media Activists Challenge. The link is right below, scroll down to my name and vote” Bamidele Oni” Every vote counts and please do help share the link as well.
The link for the public voting is as follows: http://woobox.com/6avg72/iamk4n
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 10, 2016
NickD:

Y u wan give am high blood pressure na. PhD is minimum of 3years but in the institute where I am in uniport u can do it for 2years but it's gonna cost u a lot though.

A PhD holder in my faculty, faculty of engineering too us so in a lecture. Maybe it's engineering alone.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by slydog(m): 11:26am On Dec 10, 2016
Jarus:
my friend got at 29
I will be done with mine next year hopefully, at 29

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:42am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:
I would like to find out, from experienced minds how possible it is, for me to acquire a doctorate degree, in my 20s. Presently I'm studying anatomy which is a 4 year course, and not up to 20 yet, and i would like to further my education to the doctorate level.

I'm asking the question because most PhD holders i've happened to come across are usually people, whose age bracket we can estimate to be, between (45-65years) which made me wonder why acquiring the degree takes so much time, hence my question.

possible. Dv after graduation & NYSC, go straight for Msc,normally 2years. Get at least 60% & qualify for PHD. PHD is normally 3years for fulltime. Important you avoid schools that complicate things for students.Focus on schools with knowledge as their yardstick on awarding degrees. All the best

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Danbam(m): 1:06pm On Dec 10, 2016
Yes if u school in Unilorin

peacesamuel94:

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 1:19pm On Dec 10, 2016
uzolexis:

You don't have to have a rich Dad, after my Bsc,i got a full scholarship to do my MSc abroad and now applying for PhD scholarships as well. If you want to get something you work towards it, rich Dad or not.
lucky you or should I say blessed u. Not everyone can get a scholarship sha, I finished my degree at 22, that's 7 years to finish masters and PhD if I wish. But I don't feel good about being a dependant so I paused on education for some time. Goodluck to u guys.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by tropaz(m): 3:19pm On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

I gain nothing from lying bros, I'm not going to exchange words with you to convince you

Just follow the link
https://www.nairaland.com/3027313/6-youngest-phd-holders-nigeria
Is a ph.D holder automatically a prof

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by josite: 3:57pm On Dec 10, 2016
SILLY mind.and what is the value if u become a phd even before u have any appreciable level of reasoning.u can of cos become one at 12.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Emyben(m): 4:19pm On Dec 10, 2016
I got my BSc aged 19, Got my masters degree aged 21. Became 22 during my service year.

Am trying to use myself as an example now. That means i have/had 8 whole whopping years to get a PhD which is very very realistic.

Nobody should tell you it aint possible bro.

6 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 10, 2016
My cousin just finished his PhD final defence July this year and the same July was his 28th birthday . All 3 degrees in Nigeria. Madonna, UI and Unical. So over possible they worry am sef

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Amalision: 7:41pm On Dec 10, 2016
@SILLY
ones level of thinking, understanding coupled with other things are entirely different if he/she has a PhD compared to Bsc n Msc. Take it or leave it
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 7:41pm On Dec 10, 2016
sirmelody:
ur own too much o. 4rm ur post u are still an undergraduate so while nt round up b4 talking of Phd. Beside u can still get d information u nid 4rm ur HOD or ur dean even some of ur lecturers might have attended to dat level seek their advice they will be willing to guide u tru. All d same best of luck.

I don't think there's anything wrong in planning ahead, even a secondary school student is not restricted from asking questions of this nature, let alone an undergraduate. Anyways, thanks a lot for your contribution.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 7:45pm On Dec 10, 2016
[quote author=sfinkzslot post=51795679]Oboy u should have started bsc since age <15, and a genius too, which sorry to say u are not one
tongue
[/quote

Thanks so much, it's fascinating to hear from a Genius detector.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 7:48pm On Dec 10, 2016
Zedoo:
What dis is doing on the FrontPage still eludes posterity.
Is the aim to get a degree for degree or knowledge sake,
If for knowledge sake (lies) what are you still doing going to the same education system that has kept you handicapped ever since you set foot in it....

Just a question..

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 8:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
directonpc:
When Mark Zuckerberg get him PhD?
There is more to life than certificates

I'm not Zuckerberg bro, making money is important, but the approach we adopt in making it, does not necessarily have to be patterned after Zuckerberg's, or anybody else's approach.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 8:06pm On Dec 10, 2016
slydog:
I will be done with mine next year hopefully, at 29

good luck bro.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 9:19pm On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

I'm not Zuckerberg bro, making money is important, but the approach we adopt in making it, does not necessarily have to be patterned after Zuckerberg's, or anybody else's approach.
getting a PhD is a very popular pattern.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 8:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
directonpc:
getting a PhD is a very popular pattern.

getting a PhD might be a popular pattern, but our approach to getting it varies.

don't forget that becoming rich like Zuckerberg is also a popular or should I say, a general ambition.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 8:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
peacesamuel94:

getting a PhD might be a popular pattern, but our approach to getting it varies.

don't forget that becoming rich like Zuckerberg is also a popular or should I say, a general ambition.
there are more PhD holders than inventors and influential people. I am not talking about money alone.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 8:53pm On Dec 13, 2016
directonpc:
there are more PhD holders than inventors and influential people. I am not talking about money alone.

and among those "inventors and influential people" you will find PhD holders.

You talk as if attaining a PhD degree, limits one's creative abilities. rather the opposite is the case.

Bill Gates is a PhD holder you know.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 1:55am On Dec 14, 2016
peacesamuel94:

and among those "inventors and influential people" you will find PhD holders.

You talk as if attaining a PhD degree, limits one's creative abilities. rather the opposite is the case.

Bill Gates is a PhD holder you know.
as at when Bill invented Windows he didn't even have an MSc.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 6:28am On Dec 14, 2016
directonpc:
as at when Bill invented Windows he didn't even have an MSc.

I know that, for someone like Bill Gates to go back to school even though he became successful without a degree, shows how important it is.

He was in the best position to reject furthering his education, since he became successful without it, yet he didn't, because he knew better.

Attaining a PhD degree does not necessarily confer on anyone the ability to
be creative, rather its plays a catalytic role as regards not just creativity but continuous creativity.

Windows has gone through a lot of improvements since it was founded, because the brain behind it didn't choose to be retrogressive or static.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by babyfaceafrica: 7:17am On Dec 14, 2016
peacesamuel94:

I know that, for someone like Bill Gates to go back to school even though he became successful without a degree, shows how important it is.

He was in the best position to reject furthering his education, since he became successful without it, yet he didn't, because he knew better.

be creative, rather its plays a catalytic role as regards not just creativity but continuous creativity.

Windows has gone through a lot of improvements since it was founded, because the brain behind it didn't choose to be retrogressive or static.
either you have PHD or not does ot affect creativity or progresiiveness...we had a Phd president, and it didn't make him better than those without one...Phd is good,but there are far more better thigs in life one should sought for
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 7:24am On Dec 14, 2016
peacesamuel94:

But the goal wasn't getting PhD before 30?
Maybe if PhD was the goal he will be some professor in the university (which is a good thing too).
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by peacesamuel94(m): 10:34am On Dec 14, 2016
directonpc:

But the goal wasn't getting PhD before 30?
Maybe if PhD was the goal he will be some professor in the university (which is a good thing too).

So becoming a professor in the university is all that can be done with a PhD degree, really?
I only asked the question in other to find out why most PhD holders in Nigeria are usually above 40, and I initially assumed that the program will be between 1-2 years, which is why I asked just to get clarifications.

I have Other dreams bro, and becoming a PhD holder is just one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sokoto To Pay Parents N5,000 Monthly For Sending Their Daughters To School / WAEC Debunks Best Student Claim / Ohanaeze Faults Fg’s Cut-off Mark Disparity In Unity Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.