Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,110 members, 7,818,311 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s (16267 Views)

Meet Chiamaka Deborah Motilewa, 25-Year-Old Covenant University PhD Holder / Motilewa Bolanle Becomes Covenant University's Youngest Phd Holder Ever Produced / Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Calculux95: 6:36am On Dec 10, 2016
It is very possible, some of my current professors are PhD holders, and are less than 30, one is actually 25, and they all schooled in Nigeria, it all depends on how early you finish your undergraduate degree and your level of seriousness .. if you finish at 21 or 22..why not.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by femi4: 6:37am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:
I would like to find out, from experienced minds how possible it is, for me to acquire a doctorate degree, in my 20s. Presently I'm studying anatomy which is a 4 year course, and not up to 20 yet, and i would like to further my education to the doctorate level.

I'm asking the question because most PhD holders i've happened to come across are usually people, whose age bracket we can estimate to be, between (45-65years) which made me wonder why acquiring the degree takes so much time, hence my question.

Your replies, Will be very much appreciated.

Its all about the Benjamins.....how much do you have @20
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Andy790(m): 6:38am On Dec 10, 2016
I wonder what your . motivation is at this recession

My advice

Make money and stop chasing paper
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Jarus(m): 6:38am On Dec 10, 2016
my friend got at 29

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by tropaz(m): 6:38am On Dec 10, 2016
In other news, 3.8kva generator for sale...call 08138581267....
Location; Ibadan.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by femi4: 6:39am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

Thanks a bunch!, it seems its compulsory to go through the Master's program before talking about attaining PhD, that's what kills the time.
If you have First class, you can skip Masters in some field
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by tropaz(m): 6:40am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:
It is very possible, some of my current professors are PhD holders, and are less than 30, one is actually 25, and they all schooled in Nigeria, it all depends on how early you finish your undergraduate degree and your level of seriousness .. if you finish at 21 or 22..why not.

Where sir? 25yrs old prof? Uncle, u can lie ooooooo.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by haibe(m): 6:43am On Dec 10, 2016
You want to be a lecturer?
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by haibe(m): 6:44am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:
lool

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by JoeBlocks(m): 6:44am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:
I would like to find out, from experienced minds how possible it is, for me to acquire a doctorate degree, in my 20s. Presently I'm studying anatomy which is a 4 year course, and not up to 20 yet, and i would like to further my education to the doctorate level.

I'm asking the question because most PhD holders i've happened to come across are usually people, whose age bracket we can estimate to be, between (45-65years) which made me wonder why acquiring the degree takes so much time, hence my question.

Depends on the age of the person and the school the person attends.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 6:48am On Dec 10, 2016
Ovipoet:
A PhD degree can be best completed within 2-4 years, depending on your consistency and attitude to research.
4-8 semesters.
Which equals 2-4 years
Your supervisors play a Paramount role in determining if you will finish on time.
But let's say you are determined to go straight after bsc and masters for PhD, then the bulk of the work will be in your hand.
You can make it 5 or even 10 years, depending on your attitude to research.
But let's say you r fast and your supervisor is very serious, you can complete your PhD in 3 years here in Nigeria. And even before age 30.
Just be focused and make sure you get at least 65% and above in your masters or even a distinction so you can proceed for a PhD, if you score any lesser than that, you won't be able to proceed for PhD directly

60% is needed for PhD, not 65%.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by wizflower(f): 6:50am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

sorry sir this sounds confusing could you make it clearer,
He meant NEPA
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 10, 2016
A friend has a PhD and she is 24. Graduated at 20 ,Msc 21 (Uk) PhD 24(UK) work hard,Pray then be hopeful.

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by directonpc(m): 6:56am On Dec 10, 2016
When Mark Zuckerberg get him PhD? There is more to life than certificates
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 6:57am On Dec 10, 2016
@op: it is possible but you have to work hard.

Don't let anyone discourage you or tell you what you can or can't do.
Masters is 18months and no supervisor delays a serious & hardworking person.

PhD, on the other hand, is 3 years but to graduate on time, you need to be engaged in it FULL TIME.

The problem with most people is that they run PG programmes on a part time basis. Just take your time, commit yourself and do it FULL TIME and you'll get it before 30.

I'm also working with that target and PhD is what is left for me.

Finally, you need a reliable source of funding if you are running the programme full time. Commit your parents or guardian or take a part time job.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by uzolexis(f): 7:06am On Dec 10, 2016
Andy790:
I wonder what your . motivation is at this recession

My advice

Make money and stop chasing paper

you have to let pple chase their dreams, some pple are really interested in academics and are pursuing it, let them be, do your thing let them do theirs.

3 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by judemmesoma(m): 7:06am On Dec 10, 2016
Prof Nwafia is the provost of coou college of medicine and he I'd turning 50 next year
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by afroditte(f): 7:08am On Dec 10, 2016
Yup it is. I know some one who did before he was thirty years and some other people too.

Most of them rode on scholarships though. Very intelligent people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by MYGRATEskillz(m): 7:08am On Dec 10, 2016
Sheldon cooper or leonard hofstadter became PhD holders at age 16 and 24 respectively grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by uzolexis(f): 7:10am On Dec 10, 2016
directonpc:
When Mark Zuckerberg get him PhD?
There is more to life than certificates

Don't belittle someone's dream cos it's different from yours, everybody cannot be Mark Zurkerberg or aspire to be Mark Zurkerberg, some want to be great scientist/researchers/academics and a PhD helps them achieve that.
directonpc:
When Mark Zuckerberg get him PhD?
There is more to life than certificates

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Donemmy(m): 7:14am On Dec 10, 2016
Yes u can provided u have the financial resources & the determinationation to avoid distractions & focus on ur academics.
Usually Msc in Nigeria takes 2yrs (all things being equal), Phd usually 3yrs on full time study( all things being equal). For u to achieve this with less stress, u must priorities reading above every other daily activity starting frm ur undergraduate. Develop the habit of reading & researching widely in ur field of study, work toward publishing ur academic work in ur final year. @Msc once u ar among the best graduating students, ur department will definitely encourage u to enroll for Phd & hence u shld be rest assure of completing ur Phd withing 3yrs.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by cameroncucumber(m): 7:19am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

It is very very possible, your zeal and determination is key, my cousin who is 28 became a phd holder some months back

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Calculux95: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2016
haibe:
lool

tropaz:

Where sir? 25yrs old prof? Uncle, u can lie ooooooo.....
I gain nothing from lying bros, I'm not going to exchange words with you to convince you

Just follow the link
https://www.nairaland.com/3027313/6-youngest-phd-holders-nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Olumoze(m): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2016
I so happy to read your about ambition, may God give you all the resources you need to achieve it. My best advise however is that after your First Degree defer youth service apply to an European school for your masters immediately after which you can enter in for your PhD programme, then you can come back for Youth Service or get an exemption certificate. Most of our young Ph.D holders in Nigeria got theirs from overseas. The Nigerian academic community is a bit political with awarding PhD especially the public schools so if you want to really beat the political hurdle with your age time frame overseas remains your best option. It may interest you to know that their schools in Russia that allows you to study PhD with a first degree certificate.

God bless your ambition.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by lawani: 7:27am On Dec 10, 2016
IF YOU WRITE SOMETHING WORTH READING, THAT IS ACCEPTED FOR PUBLICATION IN REPUTABLE JOURNALS IN A PARTICULAR DISCIPLINE AND YOU HAVE LIKE 30 OF SUCH THESIS, YOU ARE A PHD ALREADY. SEE IT AS VOLUME AND QUALITY OF CONTRIBUTION TO HUMAN ADVANCEMENT AND NOT TITLE. I NEED TO TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN DO THIS BY ANALYSING DATA THAT IS ALREADY IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, THEN PUBLISHING YOUR ANALYSIS. JUST PICK A RELEVANT PROBLEM TO SOLVE AND USE WIKIPEDIA, GOOGLE AND ETC AND COME UP WITH AN ORIGINAL ANALYSIS, THAT IS A THESIS, IF WELL RESEARCHED, ANALYSED, ARTICULATED AND WELL WRITTEN. YOU WILL INADVERTENTLY BE GIVEN A PROFESSORIAL SEAT IN HARVARD OR SO.

THAT IS HOW IT WORKS REALLY. HOWEVER, ANOTHER WAY IS TO DO YOUR MASTERS, BE TELEGUIDED BY SUPERVISORS, PAY SCHOOL FEES AND ETC. THAT IS A GOOD WAY TOO . IT IS THE CONVENTIONAL WAY.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Mayflowa(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2016
peacesamuel94:

thanks very informative, although it sounds heartbreaking, i'll do my best to make the mission possible.

how about in an outside Nigeria setting.

This is not exactly true if you are focused. You could do your masters and PhD in a space four years.

A friend of mine just bag a PhD in Uniben just 2 year +. Once you meet your research goal. You would be graduated.

But why do PhD in Nigeria? most PhD programs in US and Canada are free. You don't even need masters in many school in US and UK to get admitted into PhD program. Just your bachelor. You should go research what GRE and TOEFL exams are.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:
I gain nothing from lying bros, I'm not going to exchange words with you to convince you

Just follow the link

The concern with what you earlier said was not with the PhD but with the use of the word "Professor". I understand that it may have be generically used to mean "lecturer" but we both know that in the Nigerian context, it means one who has reached the peak of his/her academic career and thus, we find it unbelievable that someone has done so at the age of 25.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Coldfeet(f): 7:30am On Dec 10, 2016
LARRYDKING:

PhD is 5 years but if u fall into the wrong hand, ur supervisor can make it 15.
This is just the problem! Getting a PhD in Nigeria in ones 20s is nearly impossible due to this supervisor thing. They keep frustrating themselves till you are gray and weary to do anything tangible.

Op your best bet in achieving this is to go study abroad forget it in Nigeria.
Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Ignyte(m): 7:31am On Dec 10, 2016
OP... I plan to pull this off. I'll be 21 in January, then I'll graduate in July. I believe It's possible.

2 Likes

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by Olumoze(m): 7:33am On Dec 10, 2016
Calculux95:

Just follow the link

Men I doubted your initial post till you shared the link however you will agree that only 2 among the six made it using an all Nigerian school certificate.

1 Like

Re: Is Becoming A Phd Holder Possible In Your 20s by fratermathy(m): 7:35am On Dec 10, 2016
Olumoze:
I so happy to read your about ambition, may God give you all the resources you need to achieve it. My best advise however is that after your First Degree defer youth service apply to an European school for your masters immediately after which you can enter in for your PhD programme, then you can come back for Youth Service or get an exemption certificate. Most of our young Ph.D holders in Nigeria got theirs from overseas. The Nigerian academic community is a bit political with awarding PhD especially the public schools so if you want to really beat the political hurdle with your age time frame overseas remains your best option. It may interest you to know that their schools in Russia that allows you to study PhD with a first degree certificate.

God bless your ambition.

I wouldn't advise bypassing the Masters degree except you don't work to work in Nigeria, in which case, it is okay to do so. If otherwise, a Masters degree is extremely compulsory to lecture in Nigerian varsities.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Oke-ogun Polytecthnic,saki 2014/2015 Admission Processes For ND And DNP / IPPIS: ASUU Members Sneak To Register, Enrolment Hits 937,000 / Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.