Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,807 members, 7,827,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? (20555 Views)

What Is Wrong With Feminism / My Argument Against Feminism / Personal Thoughts On Feminism As A Nigerian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 12, 2016
When women are as free as men to operate in a market economy there's much more sex to go around grin
So i'm all for feminism grin

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 12, 2016
In all honesty i've never met a feminist who didnt want 2 eat her cake n have it.

But then, i dont take d subject matter serious one bit. Its as illogical as can be.
Most of d so-called feminists i've seen sef are actualy misandrists or psychologicaly phucked up individuals who nid d help of a shrink.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by jeff1607(m): 8:53pm On Dec 12, 2016
feminism and failing marriages are like 5&6
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by jomoh: 8:59pm On Dec 12, 2016
mamateniola1:

I have listened to the arguments by Feminists over the years and have reached the simple conclusion that it is a very flawed subject. I have asked myself many times, and will ask again: what exactly do feminists want?

A Christian, I will draw my creation story from that handed down to us in the Holy Bible, which tells of how the man was first created, and the woman created FROM him to be a help meet for him. Now, this in no way prescribes a particular pattern of inordinate overlordship, but it does clearly state a hierarchy. This fact is alluded to in other chapters of the Bible, opening up the debate of who is actually superior between the male and female genders. I will attempt to answer that question. None

This is what we want! Don't treat us like we are inferior to you(men)

They want some reservations made for them in government, reservations they will enjoy not because of their abilities, but because they are women! They want to get into male dominated jobs, not because they are physically suited to such, but because they want some representation to hype their ego

Are you saying we are lesser or inferior intellectually that we can't have a place or a say in government on merit?

Lalasticlala.

Every human being is inferior to one another in one way or the other.

We are stronger than one another in one way or the other.

Research has it that some women endure pain than men going by the pain they go through during child birth.

In view of the above, let me now ask you. Do you believe men are generally mentally stronger than women.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:09pm On Dec 12, 2016
ianSweet:

LoL, whatever
you ain't ready.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:10pm On Dec 12, 2016
ianSweet:

There are male and female footballers, wrestlers and soldiers pls. Not all cultures pay bride price, westernerns do not, what about India where the woman pays more?
No point here
the white feminists even make more sense than black ones. the black ones are just too ridiculous. and pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:12pm On Dec 12, 2016
ianSweet:

Most women can and will do all these things. Culture has just been the restriction placed on women to make us believe we can't.
that's not the point. the point is please fight for those too. don't cherry pick which to fight for. if we are going to take you seriously you need to be equal in totality and that is what you can not accomplish so just maintain your qualities while the male face theirs.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:13pm On Dec 12, 2016
mpowa:

grin Sincerely, I don't know why your post is the one I agree with the most

It's a miserable journey really, accept God's order and your life is at peace.

Men and Women are designed to fit each other, they are Companions, not Competitors.
I just tire. any feminists wey I catch go hear am.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by jomoh: 9:25pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.
Feminist activism is the struggle for that equality.
Feminist political activists campaign in areas such as reproductive rights, domestic violence, fairness, social justice, and workplace issues such as family medical leave, equal pay, and sexual harassment and discrimination.
That is feminism how can anyone not support FEMINISM.

Reproductive rights- am not sure I know what that means

Domestic violence- not only women suffer domestic violence. Men too suffer domestic violence (and yes on a large scale). The last time it was a prominent figure in Kenya was appealing to Kenyan women to stop beating up their husbands.

Rape- men too get raped every now and them but the fear of being judged and being labelled a sissy is what makes most men to not speak up.

medical leave- are you serious about this? is there anywhere in the world where men get more medical leave than women. The one I know is women getting maternity leave and men not getting paternity leave.

Equal pay- again is there anywhere or profession where men get paid more than men.

sexual harrassment- even though it is a predomonatly female problem but it should not be perceived as an issue exclusive to the female gender.

You see the main reason people see this Feminism being floored is the unity of purpose. You speak to a self proclaimed feminist today, she gives you a definition of feminism. Then you meet another feminist tomorrow, she gives you another definition that is quite contradictory to the first one. Then you meet another feminist who then gives you another definition that is quite confusing.

In the end, you are there asking yourself. What really is this FEMINISM all about?

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by puresaint12(m): 9:26pm On Dec 12, 2016
joywendy:

Why not you bring up your points and I bring up mine and let's see who is the ignorant one between the both of us. Than making side remarks.

I have explained what I mean by reproductive organs above. if you going to talk of hormones cause that's the usual argument. Hormones of the reproductive system is what makes us different.

I'm willing to learn any other opinion and correct my assertions. I can't say the same for people who just jump in to make side remarks without bringing up any explanation to discredit a claim
Men are built to protect,they are protectors,hence their strong physical structures. Women are not designed like that. Imagine Brock Lesnar nd You in a fight.now hun, how does this concern the reproductive organs and reproductive hormones you are mentioning upandan? And mind this is just one of the many differences between the man and woman. Do you know that women are more emotional than men? do you know that the brain of men is different from the brain of women? When you hear the power of a woman what comes to your mind? You might not be a christian, but let me tell you, women were given the most 'powerful power' in the world 'THE POWER OF INFLUENCE'.Eve used it wrongly on Adam and,here we are Let me tell 90% of the decisions made by Head of states are done in the Other room.I was reading Funke's article on sunday Sun newspapers one day like that and she was urging women to wield their power in the other room to get anything they want from their man. Men and women are created equal but different.We were meant to complement each not compete with each other(it's not mortal kombat). I dont like poking into Feminist issues.I was just reading the comments and shaking my head in laughter till I saw your post. As a science student, I felt insulted. To get a holistic view, Get these two books UNDERSTANDING THE POWER AND PURPOSE OF A WOMAN and UNDERSTANDING THE POWER AND PURPOSE OF A MAN by Dr Myles Munroe. When you define the gender roles, then you can define gender equality. Peace

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by puresaint12(m): 9:37pm On Dec 12, 2016
jeff1607:
thats the plan! An attack on the family to create a dysfunctional society. A young man will carry a gun and enter a school and kill children and kill himself later. Family background, mum divorced. Check all of 'em.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 12, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
I don't think it's wise to raise male and female same way. there will be too much whining. there will be too much emotions running on both ends. seriously you do not want that.

opposite reaction is the order of life, look at the western society of now. take America for example. where even boys now commit suicide because of emotional issues. like seriously.

it's better to have us men like this to check mate the female.

last month a female dumped my ass that she's not interested, I liked her but I didn't even blink. it hurt me a little but I didn't even tell anyone about it. I moved on. if it were to be the other way round it'll be a different story entirely.

raising all humans same way is just too risky. emotions are bad and it's good the men don't have it much because of we did it'll be disastrous trust me.

That is not the reason for suicide in the west. I live in the US and the reasons are much more complicated. Even born and bred Naija guys kill themselves here. Don't speak of what you don't know.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 12, 2016
Hannysmilez:
Males nd females are different;we get that. We arent tryna compete with men in the first place,we want to complement men.
We arent saying men need to cook to support it,my husband is a feminist and can hardly cook eggs. Feminism is a lot bigger than this silly topic of cooking. It irritates me when girls and boys trivialize it to 'girls should begin asking boys out' or 'i can't wash his clother'.
Female oppression is happening. Social,economic,mental oppression.
Women scared of attaining success coz they don't want to scare men.,girls denied the opp of bagging Ph.Ds coz men dont like overly intelligent women. Girls who are denied leadership positions coz 'how can a girl lead boys?'. A woman nearly died in FMC keffi cos her husband wasnt there to permit a Csection.
We are capable of big things bt we cant accomplish em till we get break free from the shackles of the stereotypes. We arent threats to your manhood. We love men.
You may not understand this still. The day your daughter reads hard for an exam but comes second because its a shame for a girl to lead boys,maybe you'd get it.

This is where i usually disagree with feminists. Nobody is oppressing women. Women are held back by their own nature. Must you marry? If you wanna get a PhD, get a car or be rich, then do it! If mean become scared of you, fine! U don't need them to live. But women would feel incomplete without a man and thats the woman's problem. The C-section thing, if the woman has given consent, her husbands consent is not required. If the doctor refused to recognize her consent he should be sued. There is nowhere in nigeria were a woman who is duely qualified for a position is denied of it because she is a woman. What you feminist want isnt gender equality, its preferential treatment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 10:00pm On Dec 12, 2016
FortuneTeller:

That is not the reason for suicide in the west. I live in the US and the reasons are much more complicated. Even born and bred Naija guys kill themselves here. Don't speak of what you don't know.
that's the psychological factor. like trump winning and there's a protest. that shows what you breed over there. like the little male kids who commit suicide because of bully in school? what do you make of that? heck I even got bullied by my own mate yet today we drink beer together today. talk of the kid whom Santa Claus told to stay off burgers and his emotions were hurt? all the whole world were busy trying to fix his emotions for being told the truth? who would even hear you out over here. a gay suing a baker for not believing in their act? who does that?

go to their schools, when they do competition they give everyone trophies. trophy of participation. Lolz. well, life is not like that. when these kids grow up and face reality they become aggressive and emotional and depress. you think scolding is bad? try pamper your child.
fvck America and fvck their wapped thinking

I can go on and on. truth remains, America breed pussies and they are paying the price. no wonder most marriages fail over there.

I don't need to say more

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Hannysmilez(f): 11:11pm On Dec 12, 2016
dicefrost:

This is where i usually disagree with feminists. Nobody is oppressing women. Women are held back by their own nature. Must you marry? If you wanna get a PhD, get a car or be rich, then do it! If mean become scared of you, fine! U don't need them to live. But women would feel incomplete without a man and thats the woman's problem. The C-section thing, if the woman has given consent, her husbands consent is not required. If the doctor refused to recognize her consent he should be sued. There is nowhere in nigeria were a woman who is duely qualified for a position is denied of it because she is a woman. What you feminist want isnt gender equality, its preferential treatment.
Honey,you are a lowkey feminist. Exactly what feminism is trying to teach girls,'You don't need them to live.'
Prefential treatment? How exactly? Its your turn to educate me
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nascimento(m): 11:34pm On Dec 12, 2016
jeff1607:

Exactly my thought.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by haryomikun(m): 11:51pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
talking about biological set up and what not, clearly shows you don't even understand the concept of feminism.

A man is a man and a woman is a woman and they are both human. What feminism advocates is that men should not be treated as a superior human than the women.

How hard can that be to understand? Mschew.
Many feminists are hard core feminists....

Imagine Muslims all being terrorists. Dyu know how the world will view even peaceful Muslims? That's the case with feminism
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by mpowa(m): 12:12am On Dec 13, 2016
Hannysmilez:
Males nd females are different;we get that. We arent tryna compete with men in the first place,we want to complement men.
We arent saying men need to cook to support it,my husband is a feminist and can hardly cook eggs. Feminism is a lot bigger than this silly topic of cooking. It irritates me when girls and boys trivialize it to 'girls should begin asking boys out' or 'i can't wash his clother'.
Female oppression is happening. Social,economic,mental oppression.
Women scared of attaining success coz they don't want to scare men.,girls denied the opp of bagging Ph.Ds coz men dont like overly intelligent women. Girls who are denied leadership positions coz 'how can a girl lead boys?'. A woman nearly died in FMC keffi cos her husband wasnt there to permit a Csection.
We are capable of big things bt we cant accomplish em till we get break free from the shackles of the stereotypes. We arent threats to your manhood. We love men.
You may not understand this still. The day your daughter reads hard for an exam but comes second because its a shame for a girl to lead boys,maybe you'd get it.

The problem with your submission here is that, it's not the same narrative with every feminists out there, we have all kinds of variations and arguments on what feminists say they're fighting for to the extent that we're all confused. I saw a clip on youtube where some american feminists were having topless day and they went topless, the argument was that the society and culture had restricted women from freedom on how they dress, if men can go bare chest without anyone rasing eyebrow, women should be able to do thesame thing, really where do we draw the line?

Most of the vices we see in our society today started with a few good intentions at the front, but a lot more hidden, unclear or unstated destructve intentions behind the scenes.If the feminist movement really have a good, worthwhile cause, then they should all come together and agree on what those causes are and make them clear to the society at large, I can assure you a lot of noble men will support them, I'm sure I will if it's a worthy cause.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AIZU(m): 12:31am On Dec 13, 2016
Ublessed1:
I don't take feminists serious i swear

no b only u ooh. na me get rib nah. so if i date u. u must dey submissive ni. no tym
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by ooibhadode: 1:17am On Dec 13, 2016
couliss:
everyone to their own opinion and please don't insult feminism it is not a scam I hope you change your thinking we don't have much men as feminist but I hope you become a feminist . I don't see men as oppressors my father is against feminism but he is my most favorite male in the whole world
I don't hate men most people think once you are a feminist you hate men I don't hate men. Am not a man hating person. I think men are also equally intelligent people. I just think the fact that you are man doesn't make you better than I am doesn't make you smarter and doesn't mean I am lesser or I should be submissive to you .

I want to ask a simple question.

How do you think a family should be handled? Who should head the home?

A man, a woman or both? Please remember that whoever you choose will be submissive to the other for things to work properly.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by inspiROHM(m): 4:07am On Dec 13, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Lynched? That's murder! cheesy
And there's nothing worse than committing murder sad

Let us take murder apart bit by bit. Abortion is the forceful removal of a baby that has not reached full term from the womb. The consequence is the death of the baby. Feminists' "My Body, My Choice" mantra is a motto supporting abortion. Is it murder to kill these innocents? Is abotrion worse than murder? Feminists do well to run away from these questions because according to Homicide laws worldwide, it is double homicide to kill a pregnant woman because another life is involved. Why is abortion not murder to the feminists?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ohibenemma(m): 7:06am On Dec 13, 2016
WOW! It's been a really heated session. I must quickly point this out, sometimes the definition of a concept may vary sharply from it's practicality; this is the case with democracy, tis same with feminism.

Definition wise, feminism may be noble (though I think most of it's concerns have been taken care of by previous statutes), but in practice it has been some kinda balderdash and actually needless. No sex is superior on the absolute basis of gender, but the physical cum biological setup of males/females clearly delines certain functional abilities that can't be wished away. IT will be an abnormality to have a man carrying a pregnancy, just as a woman can't produce sperm cells to fertilize her eggs; you can hardly find a woman in the trenches during war, just as most men mayn't be able to bear labour pains; what does this tell you? WE AREN'T EQUAL. We are complimentary. Yes! We aren't equal!
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Hannysmilez(f): 7:19am On Dec 13, 2016
Lol. The truth is open to interpretations. Left for you to translate feminism into a language you understand.
What i want you to knw is;it's a lot bigger than the issue of walking topless. I'm nt sure feminists are encouraging anyone to walk topless even if its legal.
mpowa:

The problem with your submission here is that, it's not the same narrative with every feminists out there, we have all kinds of variations and arguments on what feminists say they're fighting for to the extent that we're all confused. I saw a clip on youtube where some american feminists were having topless day and they went topless, the argument was that the society and culture had restricted women from freedom on how they dress, if men can go bare chest without anyone rasing eyebrow, women should be able to do thesame thing, really where do we draw the line?

Most of the vices we see in our society today started with a few good intentions at the front, but a lot more hidden, unclear or unstated destructve intentions behind the scenes.If the feminist movement really have a good, worthwhile cause, then they should all come together and agree on what those causes are and make them clear to the society at large, I can assure you a lot of noble men will support them, I'm sure I will if it's a worthy cause.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Hannysmilez(f): 7:24am On Dec 13, 2016
How can someone who typed '...no sex is superior...' end with 'we are not equal'?
If we are complementary,then we are equal. Different,yet equal
Ohibenemma:
WOW! It's been a really heated session. I must quickly point this out, sometimes the definition of a concept may vary sharply from it's practicality; this is the case with democracy, tis same with feminism.

Definition wise, feminism may be noble (though I think most of it's concerns have been taken care of by previous statutes), but in practice it has been some kinda balderdash and actually needless. No sex is superior on the absolute basis of gender, but the physical cum biological setup of males/females clearly delines certain functional abilities that can't be wished away. IT will be an abnormality to have a man carrying a pregnancy, just as a woman can't produce sperm cells to fertilize her eggs; you can hardly find a woman in the trenches during war, just as most men mayn't be able to bear labour pains; what does this tell you? WE AREN'T EQUAL. We are complimentary. Yes! We aren't equal!
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by jeff1607(m): 7:26am On Dec 13, 2016
The ladies here calling or claiming feminism are either naive or learners, checkout the real feminists in other advanced countries they're either DIVORCED, UNMARRIED or ALONE .

if you want to be a feminist no problem but don't let it favour you alone, it's your body and you do what you wanna do.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Hannysmilez(f): 7:29am On Dec 13, 2016
AIZU:

no b only u ooh. na me get rib nah. so if i date u. u must dey submissive ni. no tym
please what rib are you talking about? Your ribs are still intact oo bros. It's only Adam who lost a rib,nt the entire male populace
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 13, 2016
1-3 months pregnancy should be legal for abortion but from 4 months upwards shouldn't be illegal. You can't call it a baby when it's just 1-3 months, it is called a fetus(not a human being yet, it has no life, it's not a living thing, it's just a clot of blood).
inspiROHM:

Let us take murder apart bit by bit. Abortion is the forceful removal of a baby that has not reached full term from the womb. The consequence is the death of the baby. Feminists' "My Body, My Choice" mantra is a motto supporting abortion. Is it murder to kill these innocents? Is abotrion worse than murder? Feminists do well to run away from these questions because according to Homicide laws worldwide, it is double homicide to kill a pregnant woman because another life is involved. Why is abortion not murder to the feminists?
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ohibenemma(m): 8:31am On Dec 13, 2016
I've just become an UNCLE! Join me to celebrate!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ohibenemma(m): 8:41am On Dec 13, 2016
Hannysmilez:
How can someone who typed '...no sex is superior...' end with 'we are not equal'?
If we are complementary,then we are equal. Different,yet equal
Being complementary doesn't in any way denote equality. Remember my example of a G Wagon vs a Bulldozer? They are complementary, important in their operational realms, but absolutely unequal. Will I drive to a function in a bulldozer? Does that mean a G Wagon will go head on with it? Answer those questions and see that being complementary doesn't actually mean equality.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ugosample(m): 10:50am On Dec 13, 2016
All I have to say is......

The idea of Feminism in Africa is a BIG JOKE When you compare it with elsewhere.
In a European country (would not mention the name grin) a study was done and it was discovered that up to 25% of households had the wives as PRINCIPAL BREADWINNERS..

How many African women can tolerate that?
@Timbouktu, I see you o
Long time.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Hannysmilez(f): 12:20pm On Dec 13, 2016
Actually,all i can still see is equality. The Gwagon is different from the bulldozer and maybe more expensive,but the neither can take the place of another. They all are important in their own ways with neither being superior.
I think you have a problem with the def of equality. If neither is superior,then they both are equals. Equal doesn't necc mean 'the same'. Things can be Unique,different yet equal.
Ohibenemma:
Being complementary doesn't in any way denote equality. Remember my example of a G Wagon vs a Bulldozer? They are complementary, important in their operational realms, but absolutely unequal. Will I drive to a function in a bulldozer? Does that mean a G Wagon will go head on with it? Answer those questions and see that being complementary doesn't actually mean equality.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by mpowa(m): 2:22pm On Dec 13, 2016
ItsQuinn:
1-3 months pregnancy should be legal for abortion but from 4 months upwards shouldn't be illegal. You can't call it a baby when it's just 1-3 months, it is called a fetus(not a human being yet, it has no life, it's not a living thing, it's just a clot of blood).
This is not a joke at all and if this is how you reason, pls have a change of heart, at conception the woman is already carring life in her. It is foetus that become baby, babies become full grown human. It's part of the problem we're talking about, all kinds of strange ideas.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

UNFPA Hosts Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola In New York. Pics / Ooni, Alafin Of Oyo, Aregbesola, Oba Of Lagos At A Summit On Yoruba Language / Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.