Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,038 members, 7,825,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? (4031 Views)

3 Ways You Can Secure Your Farm From Herdsmen / Protect Your Farm From Sun. / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 8:27am On Sep 11, 2022
Atlanticfire:
I am living abroad and have 2 farms in Nigeria.
You will lose money, they will not execute the work to plan but on the long run it is better to start while you are away.

I did not make profit so far but I now have assets that I can call my own. I bought 100 acres of land for my 2nd farm, that money would have long gone if not that I put it into the land. I now have tractors and other implements for farming. I would not have been able to acquire any of these if I have not started while still abroad.

Most importantly, I have learnt a lot. You learn everyday so the earlier you start the earlier you can learn.

In terms of people, using my relatives to manage my farms has turned out better than using the so called consultants.

You end up teaching the consultants what to do while they scheme on how to fleece you or use pictures of your farm to get more clients that they can fleece.

My advice, if you have a business you can do abroad, do that, if you don't have the time to run a business abroad then get a relative to run your farm in Nigeria, but don't hand it over to him, guide and coach him frequently.

So true bro.

Many times my wife has told me to shutdown the farm and focus on other biz we do but the truth is that the best time to learn is NOW
NOW when you are young, working and have the financial opportunity to make several mistakes you want to and learn.
When you are jobless or old or collected your gratuity after retirement, you don't have that luxury to make mistakes again at all.
The cash on you will be going down due to family daily spending and the business you are banking on will keep disappointing you because you haven't passed through the learning curve.
Most times, i see these retirees, sacked-jobless people diving into biz losing virtually all their money or savings and in no short time they were retired or sacked, they retire also into their graves due to cardiac-arrest, depression/suicide, HBP, slumping etc.
I may have made alot of mistakes. I may have lost some fortunes. While my colleagues are busy buying flashy cars, building nice apartments, wearing nice clothes, i am busy learning/experiencing first-hand real-time/real-live how to survive outside a paycheck or salary.
Those who didn't start today are only postponing their own doomsday because sooner or later, you will have to survive without a paycheck from others and if you think there is still time and you are still young, well it will shock you how fast time fly.
And once opportunity lost, can never be regained.
It is an opportunity to earn today, make full use of the opportunity.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 8:40am On Sep 11, 2022
Pavore9:
Going into value addition like @alakara stated is a safer option for one who is not on ground. From personal experience while working in several rural communities while in Nigeria, there are so much harvests left to waste.

One could go into processing and packaging for both the local and export market.

Bro, i will advise against that.
It is better to run a farm on proxy than to run a factory on proxy.
Factory requires day to day attention unlike farming.

Also, nigeria is not a serious country ready for manufacturing/production because we don't have regular power.
I am talking from experience. I am into vegetable oil production and i know what i faced from power to machine/mechanical faults and breakdowns.
Firstly, most towns don't have industrial areas - areas dedicated strictly for factories or companies where nearly 24hrs/3-phase electricity would be provided.
Industries and companies need 3-phase 33mw lines and not 11mw residential area power.
I know how many times i called nepa to come and fix my area light. It is either there is light but the 3 lines are not complete from the transformer (to the people staying in the area, they don't care since they can just remove their meter fuse and change to the line with power) but i cant. I need the complete 3 lines to drive my industrial machines.
I will call nepa to fix transformer issues that can take up to 10 days or 2 weeks before they respond. I have workers to pay on monthly basis whether there is light or not.
For me to break even, they is minimum tons they need to do per day but nepa fcking me up.
Should we talk about generators? - diesel cost, regular gen break-down and frustration from repairers? time delay/incompetency-try and error type of repairers? fake parts?
Should i talk about electric motors burning due to light not complete from transformers?
Or the milling machine itself?

Bro, i prefer farming far more than production.
Production is for the big boys with cash not someone just starting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by ChngedChnges(m): 8:54am On Sep 11, 2022
emmaodet:

So true bro.

Many times my wife has told me to shutdown the farm and focus on other biz we do but the truth is that the best time to learn is NOW
NOW when you are young, working and have the financial opportunity to make several mistakes you want to and learn.
When you are jobless or old or collected your gratuity after retirement, you don't have that luxury to make mistakes again at all.
The cash on you will be going down due to family daily spending and the business you are banking on will keep disappointing you because you haven't passed through the learning curve.
Most times, i see these retirees, sacked-jobless people diving into biz losing virtually all their money or savings and in no short time they were retired or sacked, they retire also into their graves due to cardiac-arrest, depression/suicide, HBP, slumping etc.
I may have made alot of mistakes. I may have lost some fortunes. While my colleagues are busy buying flashy cars, building nice apartments, wearing nice clothes, i am busy learning/experiencing first-hand real-time/real-live how to survive outside a paycheck or salary.
Those who didn't start today are only postponing their own doomsday because sooner or later, you will have to survive without a paycheck from others and if you think there is still time and you are still young, well it will shock you how fast time fly.
And once opportunity lost, can never be regained.
It is an opportunity to earn today, make full use of the opportunity.

What area of farming are you into?
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 10:00am On Sep 11, 2022
ChngedChnges:

What area of farming are you into?
Groundnuts but added maize and cassava this year.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by amadasunfarm(m): 10:08am On Sep 11, 2022

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by amadasunfarm(m): 10:16am On Sep 11, 2022
I want to say thank you for bringing this wonderful topic this is the problem that we in the abroad is facing now and how can we manage this problem to see that we succeed
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Hadsty23(m): 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2022
If there's anyone interested in fish farming while I manage it on a written signed agreement.

Let's deal honestly.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by kennylagos(m): 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2022
Cromagnon:
Abeg who is based abroad and has farm in Nigeria. How do you manage it?

I know someone based abroad who has been managing his farms in Nigeria for about 10 years. Almost every day, he calls the top workers, video calls and get updates. He comes home once a year.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Prosperousman(m): 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2022
Cromagnon:
Abeg who is based abroad and has farm in Nigeria. How do you manage it?

1. First of all, farming is not a get rich quick scheme. You are probably going to spend the next 2 to 3 years building structures for your farm and paying salaries.

2. In terms or management, your relative should act as an overseer not a management staff because it will be difficult for you to penalize your relative if they default in their responsibility. Trying to penalize your relative will lead to quarrel

3. Buying a land is better than lease. Fence the land to provide more security.

4. Install wireless 360 degree solar cctv, you can view what is happening in your farm from anywhere in the world.

5. When recruiting a manager, make sure the cv is rich and has reputable gurantors. Most importantly, the amount you pay determine the type of manager you get. Most experienced managers would only work for you if you have a good salary structure, otherwise they have the experience to setup their own farm. Wahala is when you want to underpay a manager, the person will either mismanage your farm or resign.

6. If possible, build a farm accomodation in your farm, this will make it easier to recruit attendants and supervisors

7. Always ask for daily report from your manager everyday. Including photos and videos

8. Try to make sure you pay directly to customers account for bulk purchases. All purchases must be approved unless emergency.

9. Your relative should be in farm at least once a week to make sure that the report given to you tallies with what is on site.

Etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 1:13am On Sep 18, 2022
Prosperousman:

1. First of all, farming is not a get rich quick scheme. You are probably going to spend the next 2 to 3 years building structures for your farm and paying salaries.

2. In terms or management, your relative should act as an overseer not a management staff because it will be difficult for you to penalize your relative if they default in their responsibility. Trying to penalize your relative will lead to quarrel

4. Install wireless 360 degree solar cctv, you can view what is happening in your farm from anywhere in the world.

5. When recruiting a manager, make sure the cv is rich and has reputable gurantors. Most importantly, the amount you pay determine the type of manager you get. Most experienced managers would only work for you if you have a good salary structure, otherwise they have the experience to setup their own farm. Wahala is when you want to underpay a manager, the person will either mismanage your farm or resign.

6. If possible, build a farm accomodation in your farm, this will make it easier to recruit attendants and supervisors

7. Always ask for daily report from your manager everyday. Including photos and videos

8. Try to make sure you pay directly to customers account for bulk purchases. All purchases must be approved unless emergency.

9. Your relative should be in farm at least once a week to make sure that the report given to you tallies with what is on site.

Etc.

Nice write up sir.
I agree with all you wrote

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Prosperousman(m): 5:29am On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

Bro, i will advise against that.
It is better to run a farm on proxy than to run a factory on proxy.
Factory requires day to day attention unlike farming.

Also, nigeria is not a serious country ready for manufacturing/production because we don't have regular power.
I am talking from experience. I am into vegetable oil production and i know what i faced from power to machine/mechanical faults and breakdowns.
Firstly, most towns don't have industrial areas - areas dedicated strictly for factories or companies where nearly 24hrs/3-phase electricity would be provided.
Industries and companies need 3-phase 33mw lines and not 11mw residential area power.
I know how many times i called nepa to come and fix my area light. It is either there is light but the 3 lines are not complete from the transformer (to the people staying in the area, they don't care since they can just remove their meter fuse and change to the line with power) but i cant. I need the complete 3 lines to drive my industrial machines.
I will call nepa to fix transformer issues that can take up to 10 days or 2 weeks before they respond. I have workers to pay on monthly basis whether there is light or not.
For me to break even, they is minimum tons they need to do per day but nepa fcking me up.
Should we talk about generators? - diesel cost, regular gen break-down and frustration from repairers? time delay/incompetency-try and error type of repairers? fake parts?
Should i talk about electric motors burning due to light not complete from transformers?
Or the milling machine itself?

Bro, i prefer farming far more than production.
Production is for the big boys with cash not someone just starting.

What you said is true sir, but one can still sucessfully run a factory without constant nepa electricity. Even modern day poultry requires 24 hours electricity to power their automatic poultry houses.

I onced managed a farm where we intentionally disconnected from Nepa because of high billing.

We produce minimum of 20 tonnes of feed in 5 working days. We have 4 standby generators and multiple spare parts for the generator and motor boards.

On the long run, it was cheaper for us to maintain our generators and engines. Power interuption, low voltage and incomplete power phase from nepa destroys your engines faster.

My conclusion is once you are financially capable to personally provide your own electricity, you will run a sucessful farm/factory. As for the cost of diesel, everything is expensive in Nigeria. There is no farm feedmill / factory that does not use diesel, a poultry hatchery required 24 hours/day uninterrupted power supply to run their incubators.

Once you balance your operational cost, you will surely break even, thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Nezzjnr: 6:02am On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

Groundnuts but added maize and cassava this year.
Boss you asked me a question one certain time

I can't seem to find it again

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 6:05am On Sep 18, 2022
Nezzjnr:

Boss you asked me a question one certain time

I can't seem to find it again

En en. Have forgotten ooooo
Do you know how many mentions I attend to virtually on daily basis? And I don’t even have an idea of what it may be.
Is it Agric related?
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Nezzjnr: 6:52am On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

En en. Have forgotten ooooo
Do you know how many mentions I attend to virtually on daily basis? And I don’t even have an idea of what it may be.
Is it Agric related?
Yessssss

It's Agric Related
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 6:54am On Sep 18, 2022
Prosperousman:

What you said is true sir, but one can still sucessfully run a factory without constant nepa electricity. Even modern day poultry requires 24 hours electricity to power their automatic poultry houses.

I onced managed a farm where we intentionally disconnected from Nepa because of high billing.

We produce minimum of 20 tonnes of feed in 5 working days. We have 4 standby generators and multiple spare parts for the generator and motor boards.

On the long run, it was cheaper for us to maintain our generators and engines. Power interuption, low voltage and incomplete power phase from nepa destroys your engines faster.

My conclusion is once you are financially capable to personally provide your own electricity, you will run a sucessful farm/factory. As for the cost of diesel, everything is expensive in Nigeria. There is no farm feedmill / factory that does not use diesel, a poultry hatchery required 24 hours/day uninterrupted power supply to run their incubators.

Once you balance your operational cost, you will surely break even, thanks

Well, you are right but i just want to stay away from businesses that rely heavily on diesel.
For farming, it is only when you hire tractor you come in contact with diesel and that is even indirectly. It is the headache of the tractor owner to constantly source for it an maintain is diesel driving engines.
I plan using farmworkers next year. So from my clearing of farm, ridging, planting, weeding, harvesting, spraying etc i won't come in contact with diesel and will install small solar to power their lights and charging of phones.
The only time i will have a small feel of diesel is when am moving my goods to store in town

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by emmaodet: 7:19am On Sep 18, 2022
Nezzjnr:

Yessssss

It's Agric Related

Have checked all my mentions on my agric thread but can't really find yours.

Can you remind me what it is all about?
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Nezzjnr: 7:25am On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

Have checked all my mentions on my agric thread but can't really find yours.

Can you remind me what it is all about?
Noooo you did ask me a question
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 3:08pm On Sep 21, 2022
Prosperousman:

Etc.
Thanks man
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Cromagnon: 3:09pm On Sep 21, 2022
kennylagos:

I know someone based abroad who has been managing his farms in Nigeria for about 10 years. Almost every day, he calls the top workers, video calls and get updates. He comes home once a year.
thanks
Encouraging
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by XAUBulls: 4:22pm On Mar 30, 2023
Favibe16:
Well, I am abroad and has farm (Livestock and Plantain) in Nigeria. We have been going for about 18 months now, and I have to be honest and say that the experience has been far from what I thought. But, of course with every business, there is a learning curve, so I do not regret the experience the past 18 months and I am actually motivated to push forward. Frankly, I believe what I have learnt about the business is definitely worth whatever I could have lost due to poor management or dishonest employees. A lot of people will advice that you don't start because people cannot be honest in your absence. However they refuse to look at it from the perspective that when you are abroad, you are mostly likely working and making much more money than you are losing at your farm in Nigeria either due to poor management or dishonest employees. For example, I make at least 3mm naira every month (using 450 naira per dollar), my manager and employees will need to be highway robbers to defraud me of even half of that in any given month. So what is better?
Of course some will advise you to keep your money until you are ready to come back and setup, but everyone knows it is not easy to just keep money like that. And more importantly in staring even while you are still away, you learn some very valuable lessons. You learn that theories hardly translate into practice; you learn what people to trust or not, you learn some production and management; you find out what works and what doesn't; you learn about other aspects of the farming value chain you never even thought about (for example, dabbling into poultry has thought me about the opportunities in both farming and storing grains).
My advice to you is there is no better teacher than experience. The best time to go in is actually when you are still abroad and still able to make the money to help replace the losses due to the inevitable learning curve. You should focus more on constructing and expanding your facilities such as buildings and machinery and less on production. Trust me no matter how fraudulent a poultry manager is, he will most likely not sell your pen houses or your feed mill or your tractors, etc.
So seriously, give it a try if you have a passion for farming.
Bump.
Nicely put.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by XAUBulls: 4:29pm On Mar 30, 2023
Atlanticfire:
I am living abroad and have 2 farms in Nigeria.
You will lose money, they will not execute the work to plan but on the long run it is better to start while you are away.

I did not make profit so far but I now have assets that I can call my own. I bought 100 acres of land for my 2nd farm, that money would have long gone if not that I put it into the land. I now have tractors and other implements for farming. I would not have been able to acquire any of these if I have not started while still abroad.

Most importantly, I have learnt a lot. You learn everyday so the earlier you start the earlier you can learn.

In terms of people, using my relatives to manage my farms has turned out better than using the so called consultants.

You end up teaching the consultants what to do while they scheme on how to fleece you or use pictures of your farm to get more clients that they can fleece.

My advice, if you have a business you can do abroad, do that, if you don't have the time to run a business abroad then get a relative to run your farm in Nigeria, but don't hand it over to him, guide and coach him frequently.
Impressive summations... Nicely put.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by XAUBulls: 4:58pm On Mar 30, 2023
Prosperousman:

Etc.
Insightful.
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by ChybuzzDD(m): 8:23am On Apr 06, 2023
Cromagnon:
thanks
Encouraging

So, did you eventually start one?

If so, how has it been going so far?
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Pappyshoes(m): 10:17am On Apr 06, 2023
Re: How Do You Manage Farm From Abroad? by Covid19is4real: 2:48pm On Apr 06, 2023
Good day all farm investors from diaspora. May God continue to bless you all. Please, should anyone need a worker on his farm, i'm very much available. I really need a job, please help a brother. Thanks in advance & God bless sirs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Position To Make Over 100% Profits As Ginger Season Opens / My Mechanised Farming Experience / Agriculture Is Still The Backbone Of Our Economy!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.