Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,325 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis (27749 Views)

SARS Stops Senate Delegation From Seeing Dino Melaye At Hospital / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail: Fani-Kayode Blocked From Entering Court By Security / EXCLUSIVE: How Magu’s Confirmation Crisis Is Tearing Apart Buhari’s Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by dre11(m): 6:04am On Dec 18, 2016
The embattled acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, has been unable to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari since the beginning of the crisis that engulfed the confirmation of his appointment.

Reliable sources told Sunday PUNCH on Saturday that Magu had made spirited efforts to see President Buhari in the aftermath of the Senate’s refusal to confirm his appointment. The Senate, on Thursday, had based its decision on a security report by the Department of State Service which accused Magu of abuse of office and corruption.

The report by the DSS says Magu’s antecedents and his conduct after his appointment as the anti-corruption czar, made him ineligible to hold the office in full capacity.

The DSS report concludes, “Magu has failed the integrity test and will eventually constitute a liability to the anti-corruption drive of the present administration.”

SUNDAY PUNCH gathered that the embattled EFCC chairman, who is said to be at loggerheads with some members of Buhari’s kitchen cabinet, tried to see the President on Saturday night but his efforts were futile.

Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, handles the President’s appointments and determines, in most cases, who gets to see him.

There have been reports that Magu is involved in a power struggle with the Director General of the DSS, Mr. Lawal Daura, and some top aides of the President, who are said to be against his confirmation. The acting EFCC chairman is said to be an ally of the National Security Adviser, Gen. Babagana Monguno.

Magu was conspicuously absent at the Saturday’s wedding of the President’s daughter, Zahra, to Ahmed Indimi. However, other heads of security agencies including the former chairman of the EFCC, Nuhu Ribadu, were present at the lunch which held inside the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa.

Multiple sources in the presidency confirmed to our correspondent on Saturday that Magu was sighted in the Presidential Villa around 6.30pm on Friday.

While he failed to see the President, Magu attended the Asset Recovery team meeting which holds weekly at the Presidency. The meeting had Vice President Yemi Osinbajo ; the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami; the Minister of Information, Mr. Lai Mohammed, and others, in attendance.

SUNDAY PUNCH learnt that Magu has written a letter stating his side of the story over the allegations levelled against him by the DSS. A source, who said the letter would be delivered to the President during the week, added that Magu defended himself and also detailed his running battles with some of the president’s closest aides.

Magu, it was gathered, had wanted to issue a statement through the agency to respond to the DSS allegations, but later had a change of mind.
Meanwhile, this newspaper gathered that the confirmation crisis had polarised the President’s cabinet.

A source in government told one of our correspondents that some ministers who are in support of Magu visited the President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, before the Senate session on Thursday. The source said the ministers tried to prevail on Saraki to ensure that Magu was confirmed. Saraki was said to have told them that he did not have the sole power to confirm the EFCC’s acting chairman.

Some ministers who are however staunchly against Magu reportedly reached out to the senate president and urged him not to make the mistake of ensuring Magu’s confirmation or it could come back to haunt him.

He can only be reconsidered if DSS clears him — Senators

Meanwhile, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Ethics Privileges and Public Petitions, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, has said that the senate may review its decision on the acting chairman if he clears himself of the allegation contained in the security report on him.

Anyanwu, who spoke on Saturday, said, “The presidency has the right to present him for screening again if it is satisfied that the allegations against him in the report are baseless. The senate will do its constitutional duty by adequately investigating petitions against any nominee so that a wrong person will not be appointed.

“Mr. Magu should clear himself of the allegations leveled against him otherwise senate will refuse to screen him if Mr. President should forward his name again,” he said.

Asked if the senate would reconsider the nomination of Magu if Buhari re-presented him, Senator, Sunday Ogbuoji (Ebonyi South), said it was up to the executive.

He said, “The business of the legislature is to screen and confirm nominees but before we do that, we first of all do background checks and these background checks are carried out by institutions authorised by our constitution which in this case, is the Department of State Services.

“The DSS gave us a report upon which we based our decision. If he (Ibrahim Magu) is re-presented, it means they have sorted out their issues at the executive level and a report will so say.”

The lawmaker representing Oyo South Senatorial District, Senator Adesoji Akanbi, said the implication of the rejection of Magu by the legislature was that he would cease to be the acting chairman of the EFCC.

Akanbi said, “For how long is he going to act? His name was nominated and had been rejected. And the reason for the rejection is not biased; it was based on the information made available to the Senate.”

“It is not over yet. The President can re-present him. By then, he would have filed his defence and communicated it to the senate. The President can re-present Magu to the senate even as much as four times if he chooses to. But before he can do that, the clog in the wheel of Magu’s nomination and legislative approval must have been addressed.”

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Sabi Abdullahi, while speaking to our correspondent on Saturday, said the upper chamber of the National Assembly, being the lawmaking arm of the government, would not be responsible for the interpretation of the law.

Abdullahi said, “By our democratic arrangement and structure, whatever we do and whatever the executive does are subject to interpretation by judiciary. If anybody is aggrieved with it, we have done our own part and I can only comment on what we do in our work and how we do it.”

Speaking on the same matter on Friday, lawyer and human rights activist, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, had called for the replacement of the embattled acting chairman.

According to the lawyer, the issues raised in the DSS report cannot be overlooked. The legal expert noted that with the various allegations against the EFCC acting boss, it would not be proper for him to continue to head the agency.

He said, “We cannot have such weighty allegations of corrupt enrichment hanging over a man who is to investigate and prosecute others.

“Prior to Mr. Magu’s appointment, a serious allegation of corruption was made against his predecessor in office, but we have never heard of any effort made by the EFCC since Magu took over, on that case.”

http://punchng.com/confirmation-crisis-magu-blocked-seeing-buhari/

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by INTROVERT(f): 6:04am On Dec 18, 2016
Can we see APC is no different from PDP.

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by januzaj(m): 6:09am On Dec 18, 2016
Had it been Senate approved his nomination....the useless animal would have been the efcc chairman... A body that fights corruption.... Buhari is fighting corruption with corruption..
When I hear people saying Buhari is fighting corruption... I am always like

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Beremx(f): 6:13am On Dec 18, 2016
Is that all? Buhari matter sef....

Good morning fellow nairalanders and wishing you all a blessed Sunday. cool

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by IVORY2009(m): 6:14am On Dec 18, 2016
the end of the road is near....
Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Atiku2019: 6:15am On Dec 18, 2016
Lol Confusion everywhere grin grin

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:19am On Dec 18, 2016
Beremx:

Mornin Nwa m, how is our new born doing jareh? smiley
Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 18, 2016
All well said. I read this piece with so much contempt.... So the cabals we voted out during the 'april father Christmas time' are still very much in power?
I still cant understand something either..... Is the president not supposed to have a mobile phone?
Is magu not supposed to reach him on phone?
All i smell here is public stunt joor...

Anyways...

Drabeey was HERE

7 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by LilChamp: 6:22am On Dec 18, 2016
angry
Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:27am On Dec 18, 2016
Magun is pulling on every useless sentimental string and chord to get himself out of the mess he is in. Also Blackmail and propaganda via paid newspaper publications targetting the senate and Dss won't work for him either. Nigerians' brains has been resetted by the pangs of recession pains and we've all learnt how to read between the lines. Magun is simply a typical nigerian crook playing smooth and smart, and so not fit for the saintly efcc top brass job.
This is the only office we should insist buhari gets a "saint" to man cheesy grin

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Beremx(f): 6:31am On Dec 18, 2016
fulaniHERDSman:

Mornin Nwa m, how is our new born doing jareh? smiley
My son will be a year old by January next year. He's no longer a new born you know. grin

1 Like

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:35am On Dec 18, 2016
Beremx:
My son will be a year old by January next year. He's no longer a new born you know. grin
Ok o ... so make we begin dey shop for wife for am na? Well, zahra and ahmed indimi go soon born baby girl. Make u no slack o! grin wink cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Nobody: 6:37am On Dec 18, 2016
All these boils back to incoherence in the leadership style of the president. If there is any coherence, how can the dss be acting contrary to the President's decision? Is the dss suppose to submit such report to the Senate or the presidency? Honestly Buhari is not ready for serious governance!
Modified :
I am simply saying that this issue may linger on for another six months leaving the much anticipated fight against corruption in jeopardy. At the end of it all, the President will blame the Senate for his inability to deliver.
He should have done his home work very well before bringing this name forward. After all, others are also as qualified as Magu.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by kodded(m): 6:44am On Dec 18, 2016
I thought dropshot passingshot madridguy and seungmsg said that it was corruption fighting back ?

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by policy12: 6:55am On Dec 18, 2016
Hmmm corruption is actually fighting back.
Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by juman(m): 6:58am On Dec 18, 2016
Magu problem is at presidency not the senate.

Those at the presidency that believe they are buhari bosses.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by tinsel: 7:01am On Dec 18, 2016
nature2abdul:
All these boils back to incoherence in the leadership style of the president. If there is any coherence, how can the dss acting contrary to the President's decision? Is the dss suppose to submit such report to the Senate or the presidency? Honestly Buhari is not ready for serious governance!
I concure with you.

4 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by policy12: 7:02am On Dec 18, 2016
Hmmm corruption is actually fighting back. Lesson learned never indulge in dirty deal in all ur doing.

1 Like

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by chumaZ(m): 7:06am On Dec 18, 2016
Beremx:

madam hope u are coming to owerri this xmas and see how wicked ur boss it cool

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by freshboi88: 7:08am On Dec 18, 2016
INTROVERT:
Can we see APC is no different from PDP.

APC is no better, but buhari is better than the whole PDP, we didn't vote for APC, thts were u guys make d mistake, we voted for the person of Buhari.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by INTROVERT(f): 7:19am On Dec 18, 2016
freshboi88:

APC is no better, but buhari is better than the whole PDP, we didn't vote for APC, thts were u guys make d mistake, we voted for the person of Buhari.

Rather unfortunately, a tree does not make a forest and also a chain is as strong as it weakest link. grin

29 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Splinz(m): 7:25am On Dec 18, 2016
Magu must not just go but thrown into the common cell!

2 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by BekeeBuAgbara: 7:36am On Dec 18, 2016
Beremx:

Are you tired of shouting change, change, from one thread to another?
Shebi ur eyes don clear now.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Beremx(f): 7:37am On Dec 18, 2016
chumaZ:

madam hope u are coming to owerri this xmas and see how wicked ur boss it cool
who's the boss? Anyway I am not coming for Xmas
Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by doctokwus: 7:43am On Dec 18, 2016
Beremx:

Buhari's matter is that of a man that struggled to become d president for 12yrs,knows exactly what Nigeria's problems are,but has no clue,plan nor capacity on how to solve.A man so dull he is outwitted by every tom,dick and harry around him.
I cant bliv the sight of d man(if i av d misfortune of coming across it) I blived so much in less than 2yrs ago,now irritates me and makes me want to puke.
D only slight consolation i give myself is in the occasional bottle and convincing myself dat he had a corrupt,utterly useless& clueless GEJ and many other clowns as opponents.Tiny consolation considering how poor d man has turned out to be.

17 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Beremx(f): 7:49am On Dec 18, 2016
doctokwus:

Buhari's matter is that of a man that struggled to become d president for 12yrs,knows exactly what Nigeria's problems are,but has no clue,plan nor capacity on how to solve.A man so dull he is outwitted by every tom,dick and harry around him.
I cant bliv the sight of d man(if i av d misfortune of coming across it) I blived so much in less than 2yrs ago,now irritates me and makes me want to puke.
D only slight consolation i give myself is in the occasional bottle and convincing myself dat he had a corrupt,utterly useless& clueless GEJ and many other clowns as opponents.Tiny consolation considering how poor d man has turned out to be.
sighs. what more can I say?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Dcomrade(m): 7:53am On Dec 18, 2016
Beremx:
Kindly alert the house when its time for his birthday...make we come eat cake, since ur President don't want to share the national cake. grin

4 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by charlicool: 7:54am On Dec 18, 2016
nature2abdul:
All these boils back to incoherence in the leadership style of the president. If there is any coherence, how can the dss acting contrary to the President's decision? Is the dss suppose to submit such report to the Senate or the presidency? Honestly Buhari is not ready for serious governance!
bro get ur facts right, such assignment if submitted to the president who appointed don't you think the president will sweep such thing under the carpet n y do we have separation of power. read ur constitution very well. That is the principle of checks and balances. If not the president will turn to autocratic ruler.

2 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by DropShot: 7:57am On Dec 18, 2016
kodded:
I thought dropshot passingshot madridguy and seungmsg said that it was corruption fighting back ?

And this report doesn't confirm that assertion?

1 Like

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by freeze001(f): 7:59am On Dec 18, 2016
nature2abdul:

The report is from the Presidency; the DSS is part of the Presidency! What do u mean anyways? Will the presidency rewrite the report or stop the Senate from evaluating same?

2 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by freeze001(f): 8:02am On Dec 18, 2016
freshboi88:

The person of Buhari is useless without the APC machinery. He is not an independent candidate and is bound by party dictates. It's d reason he must appoint APC faithfuls mostly too. You cannot dissociate him from the party and all promises made.

8 Likes

Re: Magu Blocked From Seeing Buhari Over Confirmation Crisis by Beremx(f): 8:02am On Dec 18, 2016
Dcomrade:

Kindly alert the house when its time for his birthday...make we come eat cake, since ur President don't want to share the national cake. grin
lol surely i will post pictures of his birthday on nairaland. Make una just dey prepare monetary birthday gifts for the boy. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police, IPOB Clash In Nnewi, Two Feared Dead / Tinubu, Aregbesola, Police Minister, Paramilitary Chiefs Meet In Lagos/ Pictures / What Is The Meaning Of 'ruga'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.