Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" (873 Views)

Chris Okafor Acquires A Private Jet (Photos) / Pastor Adeboye’s $65m Private Jet Parked In Oyedepo’s Hangar In Lagos (Photo) / Why David Ibiyeomie Deserves More Than A Private Jet (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by tejpot(m): 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2016
I was going through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3512698/does-nigerian-pastor-truly-need

And one particular post caught my attention. My response below

vizkiz:
Poverty mentality.

So it is okay for a millionaire, politician and a musician to have private jets but a pastor is subjected to suffering right?

Serving God doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy things because the earth is the lord's and the fullness therein

Before most of you (seun inclusive) come to nairaland to type junk maybe you should just take a minute and go through the Bible then read with your IQ (if you have any) not just rush to prove a void point

Hello sir, you fall my hand.
You know why I am typing this late? Because I had to read the bible before responding. A pastor should not suffer but a pastor should also sacrifice. What's the role of the musician? to entertain his or her audience for money. The role of a politician, to deceive the masses using the law or so to make money. A millionaire? To invest wisely or risky wisely to make money.
For all these people there is no categorical guiding principle or specific role model. All are subjective and depend on individual's view and exposure. But when it comes to a Pastor, there is a guiding principle-the bible, there is a role model-Jesus, and there are lights to guide him-the disciples. Jesus advocates a modest life, and this is evidenced by his conducts in the bible. The disciples set an incredible example for us, they broke bread together and they shared everything in common. Truly the pastors cannot be stopped from making their money, but will they be able to share it in common with the church. And don't forget that the church is particularly set up to cater for members welfare; physical and spiritual.

Again going by your analogy, "being a pastor does not mean you shouldn't enjoy life", I want to agree with you, and you will also agree with me that "being a Christian does not mean I should not do the normal things people(millionaires, politicians, Muslims, atheists, Hinduist,) do. That means I can lie, steal, kill, get drunk, fornicate, sexuallise, sleep with animals, commit suicidal acts and continue to leave an uncontrolled life. Since all these are part of enjoying life. I totally agree with you that following in the footsteps of pastors, members should enjoy life to the fullest maximum.

Thanks
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by Teague4league(m): 2:51pm On Dec 18, 2016
Space reserved
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by eph12(m): 2:53pm On Dec 18, 2016
tejpot:
I was going through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3512698/does-nigerian-pastor-truly-need

And one particular post caught my attention. My response below

Hello sir, you fall my hand.
You know why I am typing this late? Because I had to read the bible before responding. A pastor should not suffer but a pastor should also sacrifice. What's the role of the musician? to entertain his or her audience for money. The role of a politician, to deceive the masses using the law or so to make money. A millionaire? To invest wisely or risky wisely to make money.
For all these people there is no categorical guiding principle or specific role model. All are subjective and depend on individual's view and exposure. But when it comes to a Pastor, there is a guiding principle-the bible, there is a role model-Jesus, and there are lights to guide him-the disciples. Jesus advocates a modest life, and this is evidenced by his conducts in the bible. The disciples set an incredible example for us, they broke bread together and they shared everything in common. Truly the pastors cannot be stopped from making their money, but will they be able to share it in common with the church. And don't forget that the church is particularly set up to cater for members welfare; physical and spiritual.

Again going by your analogy, "being a pastor does not mean you shouldn't enjoy life", I want to agree with you, and you will also agree with me that "being a Christian does not mean I should not do the normal things people(millionaires, politicians, Muslims, atheists, Hinduist,) do. That means I can lie, steal, kill, get drunk, fornicate, sexuallise, sleep with animals, commit suicidal acts and continue to leave an uncontrolled life. Since all these are part of enjoying life. I totally agree with you that following in the footsteps of pastors, members should enjoy life to the fullest maximum.

Thanks
How does the bolded equate to enjoying life?
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by matrix199(m): 2:58pm On Dec 18, 2016
"A mother does not eat until her child has eaten. A mother does not sleep until her child has slept. A mother does not dress until her child has dressed. A mother puts her child first.

Leaders, pastors inclusive, are meant to be mothers to their followers.
Why would a sane pastor buy and fly a private jet, with proceeds from the church, when these proceeds are from the contributions of members of the church. Of course not all the members are well to do. Quite a lot of members languish in poverty.

As a good mother, you don't put your wants over the needs of your child. Rather, your child's needs come before your want."

So for pastors buying and flying in private jets, I have one thing to say.....

.....You're terrible mothers!!!

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by Kingkillz(m): 3:01pm On Dec 18, 2016
This land is not for sale beware of 419
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by tejpot(m): 3:19pm On Dec 18, 2016
eph12:

How does the bolded equate to enjoying life?
It is the list of things that give people satisfaction. So enjoying life is having those things and having them repeatedly.
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by eph12(m): 3:27pm On Dec 18, 2016
tejpot:

It is the list of things that give people satisfaction. So enjoying life is having those things and having them repeatedly.
You don't have to be a christian before you know stealing, adultery or whatever you wrote there is wrong.
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by tejpot(m): 3:44pm On Dec 18, 2016
eph12:

You don't have to be a christian before you know stealing, adultery or whatever you wrote there is wrong.

Remember very well that this is not an independent write up, it is a response to someone's post. Who believes that every one deserves enjoying life, including a pastor. So, the list compares everyone whether you are a Christian or not. Read the post again and understand the analogy i established. With no particular reference, I only appealed to the guys sense of reasoning. Got it?
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by eph12(m): 3:58pm On Dec 18, 2016
tejpot:

Remember very well that this is not an independent write up, it is a response to someone's post. Who believes that every one deserves enjoying life, including a pastor. So, the list compares everyone whether you are a Christian or not. Read the post again and understand the analogy i established. With no particular reference, I only appealed to the guys sense of reasoning. Got it?
So someone talked about enjoying the good things of life and you immediately thought of all the worst things of life? There is nothing to get there bro. As you can see i am not tackling your argument, am just trying to let you know that the part i bolded is not necessary in your argument. I'm not sure anybody here will agree with you that stealing, murder etc are parts of the good things of life whether he/she be a muslim, christian, atheist, pagan or whatever.
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by tejpot(m): 4:22pm On Dec 18, 2016
eph12:

So someone talked about enjoying the good things of life and you immediately thought of all the worst things of life? There is nothing to get there bro. As you can see i am not tackling your argument, am just trying to let you know that the part i bolded is not necessary in your argument. I'm not sure anybody here will agree with you that stealing, murder etc are parts of the good things of life whether he/she be a muslim, christian, atheist, pagan or whatever.

Ok no problem, since you are not getting it. And you are the only one here not agreeing to that part. Note the following

I wrote - Normal things people do to enjoy life (politicians steal, don't they? Are they not enjoying life with the stolen wealth)
(Armed robbers kill/injure and enjoy their proceeds?)
(Lawyers lie, don't they? Don't they enjoy the life of their head?)
(Church goers lie, steal, kill etc; Muslims lie, steal, kill etc), homosexuality, fornication etc.

These are the things people do normally. It's the access to the each one that differs. People with arms can easily kill when infuriated. Thank God for laws to reduce these excesses. Good life is relative, and for your information some people find accomplishment in killing.

And note this "the devil hath only come to steal, to kill and to destroy ". That's its joy, to him and his followers that's the good thing of life to them. And his followers can be a so called Christian, so called Muslim or anyone. Enjoying life to u might not be to kill and steal, but it is to others. Simple.
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by eph12(m): 5:12pm On Dec 18, 2016
tejpot:

Ok no problem, since you are not getting it. And you are the only one here not agreeing to that part. Note the following

I wrote - Normal things people do to enjoy life (politicians steal, don't they? Are they not enjoying life with the stolen wealth)
(Armed robbers kill/injure and enjoy their proceeds?)
(Lawyers lie, don't they? Don't they enjoy the life of their head?)
(Church goers lie, steal, kill etc; Muslims lie, steal, kill etc), homosexuality, fornication etc.

These are the things people do normally. It's the access to the each one that differs. People with arms can easily kill when infuriated. Thank God for laws to reduce these excesses. Good life is relative, and for your information some people find accomplishment in killing.

And note this "the devil hath only come to steal, to kill and to destroy ". That's its joy, to him and his followers that's the good thing of life to them. And his followers can be a so called Christian, so called Muslim or anyone. Enjoying life to u might not be to kill and steal, but it is to others. Simple.
What does it mean when we say you enjoy the good things of life as a Christian?
Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by bukiboy(m): 11:14am On Dec 21, 2016
who be this hypocrite guy?

eph12:

Re: Opinion: In Response To "Does A Nigerian Pastor Really Need A Private Jet?" by bukiboy(m): 11:16am On Dec 21, 2016
tejpot, abeg ignore the guy

(1) (Reply)

PROPHECY: Buhari Will Be Distracted In 2017 But Pray For Him – Ogedengbe (PHOTO) / If We Don’t Tame Religion, It’ll Kill Nigeria –soyinka / The Authenticity Of Ibn Ishaq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.