Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,488 members, 7,830,460 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB (28714 Views)

Firdaouz Yusuff-Awari Denied Admission By University Of Ilorin After Scoring 300 / 16 Years Old Girl Denied Medicine Admission To ABU Scoring 320 In Jamb / God Has Given Me Admission After Eight Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by fuckfuckman(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2016
eph12:
Whereas me that scored 199 in jamb got admission this year lipsrsealed

Which school?
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Fusquo(m): 11:36pm On Dec 22, 2016
Na wa o,OAU go talk say she no try,did na rubbish
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Idyllic: 11:50pm On Dec 22, 2016
Adesegunfat:
My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

With a score of 320, her mark from UTME amounts to 80% (i.e. 320/400 x 100)
Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc

The mistake is with the summation of her O'level result sir. From what you posted above sir, the summation of her O'level result should be 50/64 not 44/64. Therefore her O'level score should be 78.1%. Since her JAMB is 320/400. That is 40/50=80%. 78.1+80/2=79.05%. Which is above the merit cut off. She should be on merit list sir.

2 Likes

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Abeos(m): 4:52am On Dec 23, 2016
Dayvidddrizzle:
Lol. Once scored 295 and still didn't get admitted. Naija worse na! Na today?!
Abi o. I scored 290 and still ended in the polytechnic. Wish her well sha
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by kwekututu: 9:37am On Dec 23, 2016
Until this point system admission method is being abolished, this kind of case might occur from year to year. When hardworking, intelligent and smart applicants might be denied their hard-earned admission into their courses of choice.

Does that mean a candidate that has credits and some distinctions in the O'level exams cannot decide to study medicine or other professional courses, even though they are bright and smart, this method is not just balanced.

The credibility of some O'level results cannot simply be verified, yet someone with 240 and straight A1's might get admitted as compared to 300+ with credits and some distinctions. This is unfair.

Our leaders who brought on this method need to see the devastating effects it has on our smart and intelligent youths seeking admission.
We just need to voice out.
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by holuwakore(m): 6:54pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:

What I would have told you ehhn

So, an excellent student with grades to speak for her excellence should stay at home for more than one year because some people have stayed for a longer time? Sit down and think about what you have written.
must u reply every comment u see?
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by asala1: 8:55pm On Dec 23, 2016
waynetee:
OAU , i choose medical rehab and was given biology edu and no be say i no reach med rehab cut off o

Busted!
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by obaro7: 11:22pm On Dec 28, 2016
Sir,
CORRECT CALCULATIONS
Aror Oghenerukevwe had a jamb score of 320, her mark for UTME amounts to 80% (i.e. 320/400 x 100)
Her school certificate results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks) and Computer Science A1(=8 marks). This would give her 53 points, or 82.8% (i.e. 53/64x100).
So her overall average should be 81.4. Going by your calculations. That is a difference of 6.2 which could have easily put Aror on the merit list.
Computer science was not on the data base at the time of registration and the fair thing to do is rectify this mistake.
Adesegunfat:
My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

With a score of 320, her mark from UTME amounts to 80% (i.e. 320/400 x 100)
Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by agisky1975: 6:32am On Jan 28, 2017
FreeSpirited:
You can't correlate what?....A1 A1 A1 B2 B3 B3 ? what else do you want? this is a sheer proof that she did it herself without being assisted. Do you know her centre; school of the gifted?.... in Waec, is B2 B3 B3 not distinction?....How do you even reason sef......everyone is not olodo Like you bro...
Anyway,I don't expect you to understand,since you are not in the profession
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Oluwaremythe(m): 8:06am On Jan 28, 2017
DonLo:
There must have been a mix up somewhere. I know OAU for one thing and that is the reasonable perceived fairness in admission process into Medicine. Never trust others applying to study medicine as they might have had a better result but it seems unlikely seeing her O level results too. But at least she should have been given another course.
I'll try calling Prof Fatusi, the provost attention to it if possible.
Lala please move this to front page let OAU come explain, save someone's destiny.

MODIFIED: On a second look at her result, it shows her O Level result is weak when you look at the subjects that matters in the 5 credit requirement. Schools now use point system. Her Biology, Chemistry and Physics are weak and considering that Jamb and O level carries 50%. A candidates with 270 and A1(s) in these subjects would have counteracted her jamb result. But let the school clarify so as to clear our already biased mind of them cheating her.
Yu speak thrash undecided
This in any way isn't justifiable,dnt try to bring up any reason,d system is corrupt,simple

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Timetable For Covenant University Resumption / Outrage As Teacher Attacks Little Girl In Class, Hits Her On The Head / UNIZIK Uses Electronic Voting In SUG Elections (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.