Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,535 members, 7,812,664 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria (4472 Views)

Biafra: A Microcosm Of The Zoo / A Microcosm Of Nigeria At Present - Ojo To Ro S'ewuro Lo Ro S'ireke / Nairaland Politics Section As As Microcosm Of The Nigerian Society By Garri (x7) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 17, 2009
Having a lot of time on my hands these days gives me the opportunity to visit NL a lot more often than I used to. I enjoy coming to NL for a variety of reasons; chief of which is the comedy factor. My visits have however translated into grouping nairalanders into categories that I'd group Nigerians as below:

1) The Ostriches: A vast majority of NLs and Nigerians belong in this group; this group also have a large subset namely:
a) Ethnicists - those who believe in the Utopia that will evolve once their ethnic group is carved out of Nigeria because they are the best of Nigeria. You can't even say goodmorning to these people without the conversation degenerating into some tribalistic BS
b) Faithfuls - the ones who believe only in the God factor, these ones are waiting for God to come and solve their man-made problems, IMO they have their heads in the clouds most of the time
c) The fanatics - very similar to the ethnicists, every thread degenerates into a religious fisticuff. A lot of these people I personally find irritating
d) Elites - The ones who do not see anything wrong with Nigeria because their position does not allow them to do so

2) The Ignorants - These people provide the comedy I alluded to ealier, some of them believe that grammar equals intelligence and when backed to corner will resort to insults. All most all the time everything to them is either black or white, you'll have a hard time having a sensible conversation with them and for this group common sense is not common
3) The Realists - IMO, these people will always back up their arguments with facts and aren't usually unwilling to stand corrected when proved wrong
4) The Grazers - These people are mostly spectators, their attitude is that of "siddon look"
5) The Idiots - The fuddyduddies who provide even greater comedy than the Ignorants.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by netotse(m): 4:45pm On Nov 17, 2009
makes sense. . .so where do u fit in?
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by walakolobo: 4:46pm On Nov 17, 2009
and where will you group the overfed diasporians who comment on what they know nothing about?
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 17, 2009
I think I'm probably a grazer  wink
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by tarano: 4:55pm On Nov 17, 2009
You forgot the idealist,  We need people like that in our society. People that strongly believe that indeed poverty, disease, strife, inequality, corruption, nepotism, fanatism, bigotry can be banished from Nigeria forever only if we are determined and purposefully pursue those ideals.

In real life that can never be possible, every society have challenges from time to time that resurfaces.

But it is good to have people like that though!
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 17, 2009
and where will you group the overfed diasporians who comment on what they know nothing about?
That's up to you mate, maybe they are ostriches or ignorants  grin since you say they comment on what they know nothing about
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 17, 2009
@ Tarano
U are right that we need idealists but I am yet to meet an idealist Nigerian or converse with one on NL
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Sammy107d(m): 5:00pm On Nov 17, 2009
naijababe:

Having a lot of time on my hands these days gives me the opportunity to visit NL a lot more often than I used to. I enjoy coming to NL for a variety of reasons; chief of which is the comedy factor. My visits have however translated into grouping nairalanders into categories that I'd group Nigerians as below:

1) The Ostriches: A vast majority of NLs and Nigerians belong in this group; this group also have a large subset namely:
a) Ethnicists - those who believe in the Utopia that will evolve once their ethnic group is carved out of Nigeria because they are the best of Nigeria. You can't even say goodmorning to these people without the conversation degenerating into some tribalistic BS
b) Faithfuls - the ones who believe only in the God factor, these ones are waiting for God to come and solve their man-made problems, IMO they have their heads in the clouds most of the time
c) The fanatics - very similar to the ethnicists, every thread degenerates into a religious fisticuff. A lot of these people I personally find irritating
d) Elites - The ones who do not see anything wrong with Nigeria because their position does not allow them to do so
2) The Ignorants - These people provide the comedy I alluded to ealier, some of them believe that grammar equals intelligence and when backed to corner will resort to insults. All most all the time everything to them is either black or white, you'll have a hard time having a sensible conversation with them and for this group common sense is not common
3) The realists - IMO, these people will always back up their arguments with facts and aren't usually unwilling to stand corrected when proved wrong
4) The Grazers - These people are mostly spectators, their attitude is that of "siddon look"
5) The Idiots - The fuddyduddies who provide even greater comedy than the Ignorants.

You don't mean "BECOMERICH" do you?
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 17, 2009
You don't mean "BECOMERICH" do you?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
What the phuck man, I'm trying to be serious here
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by PeeDaVinci: 5:05pm On Nov 17, 2009
i bet to disagree with you!! coz i have never heard anybody support corruption here on nairaland which is in contrast to the nigeria society!!!
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2009
One thing about Nairaland, it really showcases our competitive nature as Nigerians. The definition about Elites is faulty though; methinks a lot of the chaps talking about how Nigeria is very good are not really 'elites'. Elites are actually the scions of the rich and powerful, and highly connected. A lot of the guys here are obviously not in that category; maybe they have a reasonably okay job or some averagely okay business. But even that I doubt, because I have met a few chaps personally from here who have good jobs in Nigeria, and they're realists.

At the end of the day it leaves you wondering: Will our competitive and argumentative nature, as showcased here in its entirety, allow us synergise effectively to move the nation forward? I would have said no. But I compare the views and opinions that I read here to the real world as I see it, and my professional and social interactions with Nigerians at home and abroad, and I am left with one conclusion.

Majority of the people who post on Nairaland are Youth, or Aspirational, between the ages of 18 to 30. Very few emotionally or professionally mature people. Location irrespective.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 17, 2009
i bet to disagree with you!! coz i have never heard anybody support corruption here on nairaland which is in contrast to the nigeria society!!!

Really Give urself some time, in fact go to an Ibori thread and the wonders there will amaze you
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 17, 2009
Elites are actually the scions of the rich and powerful, and highly connected. A lot of the guys here are obviously not in that category; maybe they have a reasonably okay job or some averagely okay business

Bros seems to me like you are lumping two groups together here, the elites and the Ignorants I think
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Beaf: 5:21pm On Nov 17, 2009
@naijababe

From your number of contributions, you don't have the credibilty to judge anybody. This is a foolish game.

Name: naijababe
Position: Active Poster
Date Registered: January 08, 2006, 01:27 AM
Last Active: Today at 05:15:35 PM
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Afam(m): 5:22pm On Nov 17, 2009
A question for the OP.

Who sets the standards?

From what I read on this forum it is usually the ignorant person that claims others are ignorant and someone that does not even understand the point is quick at claiming that someone else is missing the point.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 17, 2009
naijababe, i share your sentiments in it's entirety.

Somebody mentioned becomerich. To be honest, becomerich follows his comments with proof albeit a pile of bilge.
My gripe and grouse is with these set of people
The Ignorants - These people provide the comedy I alluded to ealier, some of them believe that grammar equals intelligence and when backed to corner will resort to insults. All most all the time everything to them is either black or white, you'll have a hard time having a sensible conversation with them and for this group common sense is not common
These people spew the most flapdoodle ever. Gosh, i dunno man, i just dunno. . . .

but  care to name names??
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 17, 2009
Beaf:

@naijababe

From your number of contributions, you don't have the credibilty to judge anybody. This is a foolish game.

Name: naijababe
Position: Active Poster
Date Registered: January 08, 2006, 01:27 AM
Last Active: Today at 05:15:35 PM

Since when did the number of post or contribution become a barometer to measure anyone's credibility?
Threadstarter has stated her opinion based on what she has noticed.

CAlling her names is just silly.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 17, 2009
@ OMO_IBO
I leave naming names to u. People have differing opinions an ignorant maybe an idiot or realist to someone else.
@ Beaf
Cool down now, are we hurling insults already?
@ Afam
I believe everyone sets their own standards
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Beaf: 5:34pm On Nov 17, 2009
OMO IBO:

Since when did the number of post or contribution become a barometer to measure anyone's credibility?
Threadstarter has stated her opinion based on what she has noticed.

CAlling her names is just silly.

Mind your business

naijababe:

@ OMO_IBO
I leave naming names to u. People have differing opinions an ignorant maybe an idiot or realist to someone else.
@ Beaf
Cool down now, are we hurling insults already?

You come across as conceited and big headed. The all knowing type, without any contribution to show, yet all mouth.
When someone who doesn't contribute two pence decides that they have become the judge of who is the most ignorant, that person is causing problems for themselves.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by vangogh: 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2009
naijababe:

3) The realists - IMO, these people will always back up their arguments with facts and aren't usually unwilling to stand corrected when proved wrong

Good observation. I actually think the "Grazers" are largest group -they just don't want to entangle themselves with the first group.
How I wish the moderators of NL are on top of things; especially on the Politics section that has degenerated into a haven for ethnic bashers.
I'll classify as part of the "Grazers." Good classification nevertheless.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 17, 2009
You come across as conceited and big headed. The all knowing type, without any contribution to show, yet all mouth.
When someone who doesn't contribute two pence decides that they have become the judge of who is the most ignorant, that person is causing problems for themselves.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Afam(m): 5:42pm On Nov 17, 2009
naijababe:

@ Afam
I believe everyone sets their own standards

And therein lies the problem. No common denominator. Everyone believes he/she is right and with such a position it becomes supremely difficult to agree on anything.

There should be yardsticks to measure issues we deliberate on otherwise people would continue to compare apples to oranges and wrongly believe that they are being objective.

It may be difficult to be objective but it is very possible to do so.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 17, 2009
Afam:

And therein lies the problem. No common denominator. Everyone believes he/she is right and with such a position it becomes supremely difficult to agree on anything.

There should be yardsticks to measure issues we deliberate on otherwise people would continue to compare apples to oranges and wrongly believe that they are being objective.
If you do not mind me asking, who sets/measures the yardstick?
And what is it based on?

Is it now an offence to have and share an opinion?
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 17, 2009

R'ber that I stated that this is my opinion at the beginning, the ambiguty is what provides for a lack of a common denominator. What would you use as yardsticks ?
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Beaf: 5:51pm On Nov 17, 2009
naijababe:

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Thank you.

I am wondering how you have come to the conclusion that you are a "grazer", simply because you haven't made any meaningful contribution over 3 years? How can we know if you don't really fall into other groups, eg
The Idiots - The fuddyduddies who provide even greater comedy than the Ignorants.
or
The fanatics - very similar to the ethnicists, every thread degenerates into a religious fisticuff. A lot of these people I personally find irritating
or
The Ignorants - These people provide the comedy I alluded to ealier, some of them believe that grammar equals intelligence and when backed to corner will resort to insults. All most all the time everything to them is either black or white, you'll have a hard time having a sensible conversation with them and for this group common sense is not common
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by vangogh: 5:53pm On Nov 17, 2009
@Naijababe

Some of the responses so far have vindicated you! Some posters are actually classifying themselves without
realizing they are doing so.
Expect more of the  "same ole same ole" from the first group.
Good-luck - you need it to withstand their venom.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Beaf: 5:56pm On Nov 17, 2009
vangogh:

@Naijababe

Some of the responses so far have vindicated you! Some posters are actually classifying themselves without
realizing they are doing so.
Expect more of the "same ole same ole" from the first group.
Good-luck - you need it to withstand their venom.

A very obvious coward grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Afam(m): 5:58pm On Nov 17, 2009
OMO IBO:

If you do not mind me asking, who sets/measures the yardstick?
And what is it based on?

Is it now an offence to have and share an opinion?

Are you asking questions because you seek answers or are these questions rhetorical questions based on conclusions you may have arrived at?

I don't know how the issue of offence and sharing or opinion came to be in the same question.

naijababe:

R'ber that I stated that this is my opinion at the beginning, the ambiguty is what provides for a lack of a common denominator. What would you use as yardsticks ?

I am not questioning your opinion. I am only pointing out the fact that your opinion may be wrong just because the premises you based your analysis may be highly subjective hence the need for a common denominator that will to a large extent be acceptable to the majority if not everyone.

Yardsticks could be any combination of the following

1. Fact
2. Truth
3. Logic

Logic may again be subjective especially as some would easily outwit others so the first 2 may suffice since they remain constant regardless of the personal opinion or position of the individual.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 17, 2009
I am wondering how you have come to the conclusion that you are a "grazer", simply beacuase you haven't made any meaningful contribution over 3 years? How can we know if you don't fall into other groups,

I concluded that I'm grazer because I hardly contribute, that to me means I really am a siddon look nairalander if you can't prove otherwise I remain a grazer.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 17, 2009
Yardsticks could be any combination of the following

1. Fact
2. Truth
3. Logic

Logic may again be subjective especially as some would easily outwit others so the first 2 may suffice since they remain constant regardless of the personal opinion or position of the individual.

I understand you, but i think all are to an extent subjective. What is true and logical to you maybe illogical and untrue to another. R'ber that this is not an exact science where the square of 2 will always be 4.
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by Beaf: 6:10pm On Nov 17, 2009
naijababe:

I concluded that I'm grazer because I hardly contribute, that to me means I really am a siddon look nairalander if you can't prove otherwise I remain a grazer.

I am not trying to prove anything (you are currently supplying the proofs one way or the other).
It really is simple, if you contribute more, we would know where you really stand. Among those who make few contributions are wise people, intelligent people, fools, idiots etc. So why should those terms apply only to those who contribute to NL?

Judge yourself. Would you fall into any of these groups?

The Idiots - The fuddyduddies who provide even greater comedy than the Ignorants.
or
The fanatics - very similar to the ethnicists, every thread degenerates into a religious fisticuff. A lot of these people I personally find irritating
or
Re: Nairaland - A Microcosm Of Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 6:13pm On Nov 17, 2009
There is one important group of people on nairaland that is being ignored and overlooked. . .

The Schizos - People with Multiple personality disorders and hence have accounts that mimic either The Ethnicists or The Faithfuls or The Fanatics or The Elites or The Ignorants or The Realists or The Grazers or The Idiots

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The CNN Analyst Was Right About Buhari / Nairaland Presidential Election / 5 Ways Election Postonement Reduced Buhari's Chances Off Winning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.