Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,391 members, 7,830,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani (23849 Views)

Dino Melaye's Recall: Shehu Sani Hails Okun People / Shehu Sani: "Dino Melaye On Drip & Not On Handcuffs, His Neck Bandaged" / Shehu Sani Removes His Belt To Serve As Mace After It Was Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by me69: 1:34am On Dec 25, 2016
Stingman:
Shehu Sani, a human rights activist and politician, represents Kaduna Central Senatorial Districts in the Senate and is the chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign and Local Debts.

...Excerpts from his interview...

...I think with the death of Chief Gani Fawehinmi, the death of Dr BekoRansomeKuti, the death of Chima Ubani, there has been progressive decline in the protest of the civil society to engage the government in terms of pressurising it to achieve the aims of nationhood. But the role was different under the military. Our role was combative, but with the return to democracy, most of the civil society activists have dissolved into the system. They are now engaging the ministries of Transport, Health, Works, among others, and through this kind of engagement they have been subsumed into the system and would find it very difficult to raise their voice against injustice, against anti-democratic activities, because they have been taken as part of the system. That is the major problem and a very serious one.

However, we still need a vibrant proactive civil society that would put the government in check. I was reading a press statement recently by a shadowy group and they threatened that they were going to recall me because I have been critical of government policies and programmes and I refused to be a politician and still see myself as an activist criticising policies and programmes and for that I should be recalled. I was so happy with that because it is a compliment in the very sense that it would have been very wrong for anybody to tell me that since I took over office, I have lost the comradeship and the spirit and the fire in me have died. That would have been very painful thing to me. But I think with the claim of that group, it is quite good for me.

There are complaints of suffering by the citizenry under the present administration. What do you think the government has not done right?

There are a good things the present administration has done since Buhari came in he has restored peace, confidence and security. However before Buhari there were bombs flying around the country in Abuja, Sokoto, Kano and Jos, among others. Today, he has been able to stabilise and for that we need to commend the gallantry of Nigerian Army which has done a fantastically good job in securing this country. And secondly, he has also been able to fight corruption not just fighting corruption but sending a clear message to all Nigerians that time of corruption is over and we will not tolerate, endorse, embrace any act of corruption in this country. But there are a lot of things that could have been done right, which is the economy. When we took over, even before the hand-over, there could have been a very strong economic team that would forecast the economic weather and make necessary amendments that would cushion the hazards and prevent it from falling flat on our heads. That was the mistake that was made. That is on the economic side and the hardship.

People are actually suffering so much. There is so much poverty, so much hunger. There is so much disappointment in the hearts and minds of our people.

But I think we need to understand that as a government we can’t hold this for so long. This government has enjoyed the longest degree of patience from the people in the history of Nigeria: in the sense that Nigerians are still not in the streets protesting, not going on strike. There is no disobedience campaign against the President or the Federal Government. As you can see, even critics of this government are carefully measuring their words when it comes to criticising the government. But we have up to May 29 next year, which is just a few months ahead, for Nigerians to pass a final verdict of whether we have been able to deliver our campaign promises.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/buhari-lucky-nigerians-not-streets-protesting-shehu-sani/

pic1 - Shehu Sani
pic2 - South-korea-protesters-pushing-for-ouster-of their president
YOU SHOULD BE LUCKY WE ARE NOT IN THE STREETS PROTESTING AGAINST NASS!!!!! What is frustrating is not having someone that is going through tough challenges but keeps doing his best, but some people that seat on NASS and don't even care. #SCRAPSENATE
Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by rockyh(m): 1:40am On Dec 25, 2016
ganye1:
We know that Buhari was not in charge when oil was selling at over $100 per barrel and the country was exporting over 2 million barrels per day. We know that he did not steal the money. We know that he he did not order the Niger Delta Avengers and order criminal groups in the Niger Delta to blow up pipelines thereby reducing the country's output to less than a million barrels per day. We also know that he is not responsible for the fall in price of oil to less than 29 dollars per barrel. These are facts Nigerians know and it is for this reason Nigerians are not on the streets protesting against the government.
Perhaps the biggest reason for Nigerians putting up with the harsh economic policies is that money realized from the taxes and petroleum products price increase is not being stolen and it is the only reason that the government is still functioning.
the present govt is much more corrupt than its predecessor cos it hid under d umbrella of anti corruption yet cart away billions if not y is it that an ordinary committee cant account for aw they spent ova 2 billion ye nothing happened
Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by unmask: 5:24am On Dec 25, 2016
I am not holding brief for Buhari......but a sensible person will know that the fake life we lived all these years under the cover of favourable oil prices will come to an end. Unfortunately for Buhari it came under his regime.

Anyways the dishonesty and selfishness of many Nigerians is the major cause of our problem followed by Buhari's economic policies (which have not all worked)

But folks it will get worse before it gets better. So in your little way ensure you contribute to the growth of the country

- don't litter streets with refuse that end up blocking drainages
- reduce your appetite for foreign goods to help reduce inflation
- always buy local
- don't import/manufacture and sell fake and substandard goods (the health of every one matters)
- if you are a politician remember you are here to serve and not make money...stop buying jeeps with the sweat of others
- civil servants work as you should without taking bribes
- youths, there is always a brilliant idea somewhere......you might not need to work for someone
- The same amount (or more) you drop at religious houses ensure you give same to the needy
- vote in the right people ALWAYS
Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by adesal83(m): 7:54am On Dec 25, 2016
Absolutely, the man is too fortunate but all I know is that ethnicity playing a vital role there. If it happens to another tribe, northerners would never take it. Full of hypocrisy. Kudos to you Sheu sank.
Stingman:
Shehu Sani, a human rights activist and politician, represents Kaduna Central Senatorial Districts in the Senate and is the chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign and Local Debts.

...Excerpts from his interview...

...I think with the death of Chief Gani Fawehinmi, the death of Dr BekoRansomeKuti, the death of Chima Ubani, there has been progressive decline in the protest of the civil society to engage the government in terms of pressurising it to achieve the aims of nationhood. But the role was different under the military. Our role was combative, but with the return to democracy, most of the civil society activists have dissolved into the system. They are now engaging the ministries of Transport, Health, Works, among others, and through this kind of engagement they have been subsumed into the system and would find it very difficult to raise their voice against injustice, against anti-democratic activities, because they have been taken as part of the system. That is the major problem and a very serious one.

However, we still need a vibrant proactive civil society that would put the government in check. I was reading a press statement recently by a shadowy group and they threatened that they were going to recall me because I have been critical of government policies and programmes and I refused to be a politician and still see myself as an activist criticising policies and programmes and for that I should be recalled. I was so happy with that because it is a compliment in the very sense that it would have been very wrong for anybody to tell me that since I took over office, I have lost the comradeship and the spirit and the fire in me have died. That would have been very painful thing to me. But I think with the claim of that group, it is quite good for me.

There are complaints of suffering by the citizenry under the present administration. What do you think the government has not done right?

There are a good things the present administration has done since Buhari came in he has restored peace, confidence and security. However before Buhari there were bombs flying around the country in Abuja, Sokoto, Kano and Jos, among others. Today, he has been able to stabilise and for that we need to commend the gallantry of Nigerian Army which has done a fantastically good job in securing this country. And secondly, he has also been able to fight corruption not just fighting corruption but sending a clear message to all Nigerians that time of corruption is over and we will not tolerate, endorse, embrace any act of corruption in this country. But there are a lot of things that could have been done right, which is the economy. When we took over, even before the hand-over, there could have been a very strong economic team that would forecast the economic weather and make necessary amendments that would cushion the hazards and prevent it from falling flat on our heads. That was the mistake that was made. That is on the economic side and the hardship.

People are actually suffering so much. There is so much poverty, so much hunger. There is so much disappointment in the hearts and minds of our people.

But I think we need to understand that as a government we can’t hold this for so long. This government has enjoyed the longest degree of patience from the people in the history of Nigeria: in the sense that Nigerians are still not in the streets protesting, not going on strike. There is no disobedience campaign against the President or the Federal Government. As you can see, even critics of this government are carefully measuring their words when it comes to criticising the government. But we have up to May 29 next year, which is just a few months ahead, for Nigerians to pass a final verdict of whether we have been able to deliver our campaign promises.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/buhari-lucky-nigerians-not-streets-protesting-shehu-sani/

pic1 - Shehu Sani
pic2 - South-korea-protesters-pushing-for-ouster-of their president
Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by kettle84(m): 7:59am On Dec 25, 2016
unmask:
I am not holding brief for Buhari......but a sensible person will know that the fake life we lived all these years under the cover of favourable oil prices will come to an end. Unfortunately for Buhari it came under his regime.

Anyways the dishonesty and selfishness of many Nigerians is the major cause of our problem followed by Buhari's economic policies (which have not all worked)

But folks it will get worse before it gets better. So in your little way ensure you contribute to the growth of the country

- don't litter streets with refuse that end up blocking drainages
- reduce your appetite for foreign goods to help reduce inflation
- always buy local
- don't import/manufacture and sell fake and substandard goods (the health of every one matters)
- if you are a politician remember you are here to serve and not make money...stop buying jeeps with the sweat of others
- civil servants work as you should without taking bribes
- youths, there is always a brilliant idea somewhere......you might not need to work for someone
- The same amount (or more) you drop at religious houses ensure you give same to the needy
- vote in the right people ALWAYS
crude is 55$ per barrel and billions have been recovered from loots and accrued earnings. what did Buhari do with Nigeria's money if not carting them away like his former boss Abacha did.
Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by unmask: 10:27am On Dec 25, 2016
kettle84:
crude is 55$ per barrel and billions have been recovered from loots and accrued earnings. what did Buhari do with Nigeria's money if not carting them away like his former boss Abacha did.
how many days has it been $55? And have the militants stopped blowing pipelines?

Like I said I am not holding brief for buhari....except by magic, there is no way the country won't face hardship before our glory days
Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by beautyoftheLord: 10:58am On Dec 25, 2016
Nigerians are not protesting because they are afraid they will get the IPOB and shites treatment from the armed officers. The armed officers of course get their orders from you know who and where. End of story.
Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Greenback: 7:27am On Mar 31, 2017
DaBullIT:
really ? you insulted me in your language , called me all sorts of name , that doesn't count as insult ??

Legendary mumuism

beans legend grin grin grin grin grin

legend/don de la ewa inna gambia2ous stylee grin Wow!
Ayamwreally appalled @ur exclusive status grin

op,the pmb's got his back covered by his ppl and by the ever mypic wastesiders with their scratches..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sowore2019: AAC Grassroots Campaign Rally In Kogi State (Pictures) / PDP Mocks Buhari, APC Over Failed Campaign In Owerri / Muhammadu Buhari Celebrates His 77th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.