Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,456 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani (23816 Views)

Dino Melaye's Recall: Shehu Sani Hails Okun People / Shehu Sani: "Dino Melaye On Drip & Not On Handcuffs, His Neck Bandaged" / Shehu Sani Removes His Belt To Serve As Mace After It Was Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Stingman: 11:28am On Dec 24, 2016
Shehu Sani, a human rights activist and politician, represents Kaduna Central Senatorial Districts in the Senate and is the chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign and Local Debts.

...Excerpts from his interview...

...I think with the death of Chief Gani Fawehinmi, the death of Dr BekoRansomeKuti, the death of Chima Ubani, there has been progressive decline in the protest of the civil society to engage the government in terms of pressurising it to achieve the aims of nationhood. But the role was different under the military. Our role was combative, but with the return to democracy, most of the civil society activists have dissolved into the system. They are now engaging the ministries of Transport, Health, Works, among others, and through this kind of engagement they have been subsumed into the system and would find it very difficult to raise their voice against injustice, against anti-democratic activities, because they have been taken as part of the system. That is the major problem and a very serious one.

However, we still need a vibrant proactive civil society that would put the government in check. I was reading a press statement recently by a shadowy group and they threatened that they were going to recall me because I have been critical of government policies and programmes and I refused to be a politician and still see myself as an activist criticising policies and programmes and for that I should be recalled. I was so happy with that because it is a compliment in the very sense that it would have been very wrong for anybody to tell me that since I took over office, I have lost the comradeship and the spirit and the fire in me have died. That would have been very painful thing to me. But I think with the claim of that group, it is quite good for me.

There are complaints of suffering by the citizenry under the present administration. What do you think the government has not done right?

There are a good things the present administration has done since Buhari came in he has restored peace, confidence and security. However before Buhari there were bombs flying around the country in Abuja, Sokoto, Kano and Jos, among others. Today, he has been able to stabilise and for that we need to commend the gallantry of Nigerian Army which has done a fantastically good job in securing this country. And secondly, he has also been able to fight corruption not just fighting corruption but sending a clear message to all Nigerians that time of corruption is over and we will not tolerate, endorse, embrace any act of corruption in this country. But there are a lot of things that could have been done right, which is the economy. When we took over, even before the hand-over, there could have been a very strong economic team that would forecast the economic weather and make necessary amendments that would cushion the hazards and prevent it from falling flat on our heads. That was the mistake that was made. That is on the economic side and the hardship.

People are actually suffering so much. There is so much poverty, so much hunger. There is so much disappointment in the hearts and minds of our people.

But I think we need to understand that as a government we can’t hold this for so long. This government has enjoyed the longest degree of patience from the people in the history of Nigeria: in the sense that Nigerians are still not in the streets protesting, not going on strike. There is no disobedience campaign against the President or the Federal Government. As you can see, even critics of this government are carefully measuring their words when it comes to criticising the government. But we have up to May 29 next year, which is just a few months ahead, for Nigerians to pass a final verdict of whether we have been able to deliver our campaign promises.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/buhari-lucky-nigerians-not-streets-protesting-shehu-sani/

pic1 - Shehu Sani
pic2 - South-korea-protesters-pushing-for-ouster-of their president

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Emyogalanya: 11:30am On Dec 24, 2016
He truely lucky cos when nigerian's join biafrans on the street he go know

101 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by DaBullIT(m): 11:56am On Dec 24, 2016
Buhari is doing what he can

If the cabal will let him succeed

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by nnachukz(m): 11:59am On Dec 24, 2016
Zombies still outnumber those with brain devoid of ethnic attachment. This is the cause of the majority support he still enjoys even after showing to be a complete failure. You will see them in their millions jump on me for saying this. angry undecided

137 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 24, 2016
Nigerian youth are too docile to do anything,they want to be held by hand. Even at that most of them won't stand for themselves even if their lives depend on it.

What a waste!

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by three: 12:05pm On Dec 24, 2016
True Activism is all but DEAD in Nigeria!

Many have become 'professional' activists who depend on the party in power or in opposition for their Livelihood

The 'format' in some cases is to project integrity, lead strategic protests, even allow oneself to be incarcerated and then CASH OUT to the highest bidder.

Even some previously revered person have since 'shown their colours' (I won't call any names)

So called Civil Society Groups and 'NGOs' are not immune, infact it appears some were actually founded from the get-go to provoke the party in power.

Summary: MOST so called Activists are actually CASHtivists!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Realist2: 12:44pm On Dec 24, 2016
Believe it or not, the hausas dictate for this country, hausas can't embark on protests against their 'own', once the hausa are resilience, they can force it on other, and then we will be suffering and smiling.
The West are not United and can,t speak with one voice, because we have a lot of traitors, sabotaurs, ethnic bigots and political sophistication. No wonder we remain a conquered territory.
If it were to be the South on that sit, and things have gone worst like this, a lot of protest would,ve actually been going on now.
Until the west learn to speak with one voice and insist on what they want, till then, let's enjoy the change while suffering and smiling.

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 24, 2016

1 Like

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by MrAdetunjiBayo: 12:52pm On Dec 24, 2016
We yorubas will not be activists rather we will be cashtivists who will collect money from our daura lord and go protest against Amnesty International and Wike. Buhari is greater than Awolowo.

58 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by talktimi(m): 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2016
At the rate this clueless junta is going, mass protests across the country is already a sure banker. Buhari and the APC have messed up this country so bad. Even their hired zombies will soon turn against each other in a bloody way cool

18 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2016
Suffering in silence

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by wxyz1: 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2016
Realist2:
Believe it or not, the hausas dictate for this country, hausas can't embark on protests against their 'own', once the hausa are resilience, they can force it on other, and then we will be suffering and smiling.
The West are not United and can,t speak with one voice, because we have a lot of traitors, sabotaurs, ethnic bigots and political sophistication. No wonder we remain a conquered territory.
If it were to be the South on that sit, and things have gone worst like this, a lot of protest would,ve actually been going on now.
Until the west learn to speak with one voice and insist on what they want, till then, let's enjoy the change while suffering and smiling.
More grace to your pen and your brain. Well schooled.

15 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Agimor(m): 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2016
A house built on deceit, propaganda and lies can not withstand the test of time. APC is perfect example.

11 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by DaBullIT(m): 1:13pm On Dec 24, 2016
Now i should growup ? as if i have not endured enough insults the past few days ??

why don't you go through his post and tell me who should ?
OZAOEKPE:

grow up dabuilt

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by DaBullIT(m): 1:20pm On Dec 24, 2016
Oshofree campaigner, don't blame me if all your posts for atike hasn't fetched you the much desired pocket change

Afterall no be me send you go do MMM

hahahahahah
PresidentAtiku:
don't grow up. Go for brain transplant... You have never made sense! Zombie

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by tuniski: 1:25pm On Dec 24, 2016
DaBullIT:
Buhari is doing what he can

If the cabal will let him succeed
He is the head of the cabal. Abi has there been govt without cabal? Or u are asking that buhari should be operating in heaven? Anyway, others before him led with all impediments including those from buhari Himself. It is therefore very lame excuse and an admittance of incompetence to blame cabal!

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by malton: 1:57pm On Dec 24, 2016
So what will they protest against?

Corruption scandal?

Nonpayment of salaries and allowances?

Or protest to get a democratically elected president out?

Nigeria's problems are too numerous to mention. Plus, things aren't good right now, but embarking on a protest is a no no.

This is the time when all hands should be on deck to pull the country out of recession. I feel that the president and his team have not done enough in this regard.

But in a country like Nigeria, protests could turn to bloodshed. And as usual, lots of anguish will trail such incidents, leaving tongues wagging, and minds suspicious.

Protests aren't bad, but timing is everything.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 24, 2016
A goat will always be a goat no matter which position you put him
boko hari is a confirm goat

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by Stalwert: 2:03pm On Dec 24, 2016
Shehu when do you plan to finally advocate for pay slash in the senate?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by nnachukz(m): 2:09pm On Dec 24, 2016
AlhajiSpray:

I think they would rather jump on you for the _stupidity embedded in your post! Although you are very consistent in that regard!
By their utterances, we shall know them.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Is Lucky Nigerians Are Not On The Streets Protesting —Shehu Sani by DropShot: 2:24pm On Dec 24, 2016
As bad as Nigerians are, majority of us still have common sense to think things through and understand the genesis of our problems.

It's the reason APC won in Edo and Ondo states. Left for PDP and their corrupt sympathizers, they'd wanted to force their wicked narration about the causes of the recession on the electorate. Alas, people are wiser. grin grin grin

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Controversy Rages On Over Buhari’s Certificate / Second Term: I Don’t Want To Be Reappointed As Buhari’s Minister – Lokpobiri / Fayose May Have Escaped Impeachment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.