Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures - Culture (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures (153767 Views)

Onitsha Ofala Festival Of Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off- PICTURES / "I Am The Igwe And Obi Of Yorubaland" - Abdulrasheed Akanbi, The Oluwo Of Iwo / Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna Got A Jeep As A Gift. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (74) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by cheruv: 9:57am On Feb 15, 2017
Cire80:
And what makes you think Edo website represents Edo? What website is that? What makes you think Edo website can't lie? Website was written by an individual and do you know that the Benin Royalty has dispelled lots of the things Egharavba wrote in his book? Which shows it was just his opinion and not fact. Have I ever told you I'm Edo? And what about the other points I made? How did they add up with your fabrications you called fact?
Check out that otedo website for example... Its very rich in Edo history and all that. Anyone wishing to knowing about Edo history can check it out...right from the time of the ogisos to the obas.it was from there that I read for the first time that Edo waged two wars on the Western Igbos... The first one in 1577 in which they destroyed agbor and the second in 1755 in which they were defeated by the Ubulu(uburu in Bini) army[the Bini sources say the war ended as a stalemate while Anioma sources say the war was a victory for the Anioma resistance]. After their defeat in 1755, the Edo army never turned East again rather they continued their incursions in the Lagos and wider Nago(Yoruba) area culminating in the sack of akure in 1823.
Just scratch a little and you'd see it all undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Konquest: 11:20am On Apr 04, 2017
INTERVIEW
"At first, I was embarrassed to see elders bow before me –25-year-old Obi of Issele-Uku"

Published April 1, 2017
===>> http://punchng.com/at-first-i-was-embarrassed-to-see-elders-bow-before-me-25-year-old-obi-of-issele-uku/

Can you tell us a little about the Issele–Uku Kingdom?

If you look at our history, we are descendants of the great Benin empire [/b]and as the history goes, on or about 1230 AD, Oba Eweka of Benin the first sent his second son, Prince Uwade towards the Eastern part of the Benin Empire first of all to check the influx of the Easterners into the kingdom and secondly to expand the empire. So Prince Uwade came along with his wives and some delegate warriors towards the eastern part, they settled here in the present Issele–Uku. So they settled and practised the same pattern of ascension to the throne like that in Benin. So after him, Prince Uwade became Ogewade and after him, his first son took over. So, that has been our brief history. We are descendants of the great Benin Kingdom.

[b]What are some of the things you will love to achieve during your reign?

In terms of goal, Issele–Uku is very rich in culture and tradition some of which have been eroded. So, my short term goal is to revive a society which we call the “Omu” society, a peaceful united society. My long term goal is to see that our rich culture and traditions are preserved. I want to create an awareness on the need to revive and sustain our rich traditions for the world to see.

What are some of the taboos in this kingdom?

There are so many and we wouldn’t leave here if we start listing them. It is forbidden for an indigene to place a curse on another here and we take that issue very seriously. Then there are certain places in the town where coffins cannot pass through. The taboos are so many and I can’t start giving instances but when you live here you would get to know them.

Before you were crowned, you spent some time in Benin. What is the significance of this tradition to the people of Issele-Uku Kingdom?

Like I said, we are descendants of the Benin Kingdom and the relationship that the Benin and Issele–Uku people hold is very strong[i][/i]. It’s just like the popular saying, ‘if you do not know where you are coming from, you do not know where you are going.’ We understand and know that we have an ancestral link with the Benin people; so we try as much as possible to ensure that we have that relationship intact.

===>> http://punchng.com/at-first-i-was-embarrassed-to-see-elders-bow-before-me-25-year-old-obi-of-issele-uku/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by PabloAfricanus(m): 3:44pm On Apr 05, 2017
Konquest:

If you look at our history,[b] we are descendants of the great Benin empire [/b]and as the history goes, on or about 1230 AD, Oba Eweka of Benin the first sent his second son, Prince Uwade towards the Eastern part of the Benin Empire first of all to check the influx of the Easterners into the kingdom and secondly to expand the empire. So Prince Uwade came along with his wives and some delegate warriors towards the eastern part, they settled here in the present Issele–Uku. So they settled and practised the same pattern of ascension to the throne like that in Benin. So after him, Prince Uwade became Ogewade and after him, his first son took over. So, that has been our brief history. We are descendants of the great Benin Kingdom.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Another one again turning logic on its head!
So how come they don't speak Bini, practice Bini traditions or customs and all their ancestors from inception have always been Igbo speaking and bearing Igbo names
Were they colonized by Igbos?
Hope I am not the only one seeing this absurd display of historical revisionism?
Konquest, for real tho...I for one need answers, can you explain?
That king there if his life depended on him speaking Edo to an audience would be a dead man.
Same applies to his late father and the entire population of Issele Uku.
It is a fact that if any of them speaks Bini, they learn it as a second language.
So how come?
Why no mention of the Igbo names, Igbo language, traditions and culture?
Did the Prince Uwade meet empty land when he "came" from Bini?
If the above narrative is correct, then they should be speaking Edo, bearing Edo names and at the minimum having a history of Enogies appointed by the Oba.
The fact that his name is NDUKA EZEAGWUNA totally negates that narrative.

Bini is just NEXT DOOR and they have never had any invasions from Igbos ever, so how come they have always been Igbo speaking?
How come they have never had an Enogie appointed by the Oba?
Even the Afemais and Ishans who migrated and declared their independence from the Oba still speak core Edo dialects and have nothing in their language, culture or history that is Igbo sounding.
So who is deceiving who? cheesy cry
I totally agree, these people's identity crisis is real.

2 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by gerg: 12:17am On Apr 06, 2017
cheruv:

Check out that otedo website for example... Its very rich in Edo history and all that. Anyone wishing to knowing about Edo history can check it out...right from the time of the ogisos to the obas.it was from there that I read for the first time that Edo waged two wars on the Western Igbos... The first one in 1577 in which they destroyed agbor and the second in 1755 in which they were defeated by the Ubulu(uburu in Bini) army[the Bini sources say the war ended as a stalemate while Anioma sources say the war was a victory for the Anioma resistance]. After their defeat in 1755, the Edo army never turned East again rather they continued their incursions in the Lagos and wider Nago(Yoruba) area culminating in the sack of akure in 1823.
Just scratch a little and you'd see it all undecided
I'm a regular contributor of Otedo.com. You're very funny. that site is even very much in annexing Anioma up to Onitsha and Ogbaru. They call all the parts of Anioma Edo land. maybe you're blind to these and only being a typical igbo.
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by RedboneSmith(m): 12:25am On Apr 06, 2017
gerg:
I'm a regular contributor of Otedo.com. You're very funny. that site is even very much in harnessing Anioma up to Onitsha and Ogbaru. They call all the parts of Anioma Edo land. maybe you're blind to these and only being a typical igbo.

So they are basically doing the very thing a lot of Nigerians give Igbos a flak for - landgrabbing?

2 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by gerg: 12:33am On Apr 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:

So they are basically doing the very thing a lot of Nigerians give Igbos a flak for - landgrabbing?
It depends on how you see it. There's a reason people don't accuse Edo of landgrabbing. but you see these Igbos? they're very contradictory. Igbanki has Enogie titles for their kings and Igbos accuse them of selling their birthright while they turn around and ask why is Obi of Isele Uku not using the Enogie title if they actually have Edo ancestry. Today they will say Edos don't give a fvck about Anioma and tomorrow they say Edo is trying to annex us. But from what I read on that website, Otedo is subtly in support of Edoxit referendum from Nigeria being campaign by some people on facebook and other places and they want the Anioma to be part of them. But honestly, they don't do it forcefully, by fabrications or concoction. They do it diplomatically and with proof of well recorded history.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by cheruv: 12:40am On Apr 06, 2017
gerg:
I'm a regular contributor of Otedo.com. You're very funny. that site is even very much in annexing Anioma up to Onitsha and Ogbaru. They call all the parts of Anioma Edo land. maybe you're blind to these and only being a typical igbo.
The intentions of the site owners is simply to resurrect the buried Edo empire... But my people and I would team up with Igbos across the Niger to ensure that the Bini is buried for eternity if they try that rubbish angry
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by RedboneSmith(m): 12:43am On Apr 06, 2017
gerg:
It depends on how you see it. There's a reason people don't accuse Edo of landgrabbing. but you see these Igbos? they're very contradictory. Igbanki has Enogie titles for their kings and Igbos accuse them of selling their birthright while they turn around and ask why is Obi of Isele Uku not using the Enogie title if they actually have Edo ancestry. Today they will say Edos don't give a fvck about Anioma and tomorrow they say Edo is trying to annex us. But from what I read on that website, Otedo is subtly in support of Edoxit referendum from Nigeria being campaign by some people on facebook and other places and they want the Anioma to be part of them. But honestly, they don't do it forcefully, by fabrications or concoction. They do it diplomatically and with proof of well recorded history.

I have had arguments with Bini people on some sites where they were actually quite forceful and stubborn. Onitsha always appears to be the lodestar for them, because the conversation always ends up centering around Onitsha. I showed one a list of Onitsha kings and he swore that all the names there are Edo; then he proceeded to give me made-up Edo meaning for names like Diali and Anazonwu. I weak.

In my own experience, when politics enter the matter, Edo folks are as forceful as the Biafranists, and as unwilling to listen. I see little difference between the two.

3 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 12:45am On Apr 06, 2017
Igbanki
has Enogie titles for their kings and Igbos accuse
them of selling their birthright while they turn
around and ask why is Obi of Isele Uku not using
the Enogie title if they actually have Edo ancestry

Igbanke have Enogie title because of Bini imperialism. I had posted alot about that here from Igbanke people posts here.

The word for King in Igbanke as in all Igbo speaking realm is "Eze" and not Oba, Enogie or even Ovie.

If Isele uku were using Enogie title today for their kings, it would only point to Bini imperialism, as the word for King in Isele uku, as with all Igbo speaking realms would have still remained "Eze".

Edos were empire builders that were reduced to minorities by the British. Empire building is all about land grabbing. Claiming control over independent people and forcing them to pay tributes to you, uninstalling non yielding leaders amongst them and appointing rubber stamps and turncoats amongst them ready to proclaim your dominion over the people. In extreme cases, emperors even replace leaders of the conquered with their own princes who rule over the conquered.

Once a land grabber, always a land grabber.

So this your comment of nobody seeing Edo as landgrabbers is ridiculous. History tells us a different story.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by gerg: 1:04am On Apr 06, 2017
pazienza:
Igbanki
has Enogie titles for their kings and Igbos accuse
them of selling their birthright while they turn
around and ask why is Obi of Isele Uku not using
the Enogie title if they actually have Edo ancestry

Igbanke have Enogie title because of Bini imperialism. I had posted alot about that here from Igbanke people posts here.

The word for King in Igbanke as in all Igbo speaking realm is "Eze" and not Oba, Enogie or even Ovie.

If Isele uku were using Enogie title today for their kings, it would only point to Bini imperialism, as the word for King in Isele uku, as with all Igbo speaking realms would have still remained "Eze".

Edos were empire builders that were reduced to minorities by the British. Empire building is all about land grabbing. Claiming control over independent people and forcing them to pay tributes to you, uninstalling non yielding leaders amongst them and appointing rubber stamps and turncoats amongst them ready to proclaim your dominion over the people. In extreme cases, emperors even replace leaders of the conquered with their own princes who rule over the conquered.

Once a land grabber, always a land grabber.

So this your comment of nobody seeing Edo as landgrabbers is ridiculous. History tells us a different story.
you guys are not straight forward. You don't argue on same basis and convention. You argue to win argument. If not having Enogie title is a pointer to a non Edo origin of Isele Uku, it automatically translates that Igbanke use the Enogie title because of their Edo ancestry. this is only rational.

Edos can't be landgrabbers and at the same time don't give a fvck about Ika. You guys are always coming out as contradictory.

3 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 1:15am On Apr 06, 2017
gerg:
you guys are not straight forward. You don't argue on same basis and convention. You argue to win argument. If not having Enogie title is a pointer to a non Edo origin of Isele Uku, it automatically translates that Igbanke use the Enogie title because of their Edo ancestry. this is only rational.

Edos can't be landgrabbers and at the same time don't give a fvck about Ika. You guys are always coming out as contradictory.

Not having an Enogie is a pointer to the fact that Isele Uku is not under the dominion of Edo.
You are relating two unrelated things.

We already know that Enogie title exists in Igbanke out of Bini imperialism and greedy need by those stooges appointed as Enogies in Igbanke to retain power.

The Enogies derive their power directly from the Oba and would like Igbanke to remain tied to Oba, so as to retain power, even if some of their people want away from Edo.

Edos are landgrabbers, they don't see Anioma as Edo people, cos they know Anioma isn't Edo, they don't care about Anioma welfare, they are more interested in keeping Anioma as a vassal region under their dominion. The Igbanke people in Edo know better.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by ehikwe22: 9:52am On Apr 07, 2017
pazienza:

Not having an Enogie is a pointer to the fact that Isele Uku is not under the dominion of Edo.

We already know that Enogie title exists in Igbanke out of Bini imperialism and greedy need by those stooges appointed as Enogies in Igbanke to retain power.

The Enogies derive their power directly from the Oba and would like Igbanke to remain tied to Oba, so as to retain power, even if some of their people want away from Edo.

Edos are landgrabbers, they don't see Anioma as Edo people, cos they know Anioma isn't Edo, they don't care about Anioma welfare, they are more interested in keeping Anioma as a vassal region under their dominion. The Igbanke people in Edo know better.
Truly, you guys have selective blindness and use double standards in everything. Your anywhere-belle-face kind of argument is very funny.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by laudate: 2:39pm On Apr 07, 2017
ehikwe22:
Truly, you guys have selective blindness and use double standards in everything. Your anywhere-belle-face kind of argument is very funny.

ROFLMAO! Una no go take laugh kill person for here....!! cool cheesy grin
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by jbblues24(m): 9:14pm On Jun 01, 2019
Cool dude I love the use of layers and iconography! lipsrsealed
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by anexio999: 1:55pm On Jul 25, 2019
[quote author=PabloAfricanus post=52815879]

Personally I have a problem with that statement and I will tell you why. I could be wrong tho and I freely admit it.
When you say migrated from Bini empire...several assumptions are implied.
1) The fugitives who ran for their lives from whatever area of the Bini kingdom they resided were pure Bini people.
2) These Bini people apparently were NOT Igbo people and hence had to use an interpreter to communicate with any Igbo people they
encountered on their outward flight
3) How these fugitives managed to bypass Agbor and the present Aniocha lands without meeting with Igbo speaking peoples but Bini
people all the way is yet to be explained...when you consider the fact they came bearing Igbo names.
4) Its either all the places they got to and settled where settled by non-Bini natives or were bare empty lands...when you consider all the stories
of foundings by Bini "princes" who promptly forgot their language in the shadow of Bini just across the border.
5) By their own claims and counter claims, they had nothing to do with Igbos and only encountered them in passing

Why then is the overwhelming presence of Igbo language,deities, market days and culture the MOST significant trait among these descendants
of Bini "princes"? Like all you see is Bini styled political hiearchies among an overwhelmingly Igbo community.

You see, its either some people are trying to so hard to deny an Igbo presence way back in the old Bini kingdom or the Bini kingdom back then
was surrounded to the south by native Igbo peoples.
I think there were Igbo people in the old Bini kingdom and they were the ancestors of the present Anioma peoples today.
Come to think about it, once you leave Bini and move down south, all you meet is communities of people speaking various Igbo dialects,
from Agbor to Asaba to Ukwuani/Aboh.

Cos there was no way a Bini "prince" could have established a pattern of settlements DIFFERENT from what other known Bini fugitive or non-fugitive princes have established. The examples of Ginuwa in Itshekiri and Asikpa in Eko come to mind.
Not to mention the numerous Bini suzerainties in Ekiti and Ondo today who have acclimatized to the dominant Yoruba culture.
But trace back and you will find the Bini thread linking back to old kingdom without controversy.
These people do not deny their Itshekiri or Awori roots, they gladly point out that their monarchies came from Bini.
They merely adopted the system brought by the Bini visitors and acclimatized them to their native language and culture.
Why is the Anioma case different?

I do not think it is that easy for Bini "princes" to come out running from Bini speaking Igbo and bearing Igbo names.
No my dear, it is highly implausible.
Why did they have to cross the Niger? Why not go further south or further West?
Are you aware that they even journeyed farther into the Igbo hinterlands of Oguta?
Going by all the published works of Onicha/Anioma origins, these fugitives should NOT be Igbo speaking, but speaking at worst
a corrupted Edo tongue and practicing at worst hybrized forms of Edo traditions.
You and I know this is NOT the case.
What you have is a case of a group of migrants who were Igbo speaking from day one.
And what you have in their midst is clear evidences of an Igbo speaking people who were socio-culturally and politically influenced by Bini.

And yes, the superiority thing is actually a form of inferiority complex.
No one invaded them or forced them to differentiate themselves from the "inferior" ndi Igbos.
They are the ones doing the attaching and detaching, as by all accounts, the people they call "onye Igbo" never copied them or their Bini style monarchies or Bini style political hierarchies.
You wont see any vestige of their much acclaimed Bini language, culture or what not among the hinterland Igbos.
So there is no chance of corruption of their core "Edo" language or culture by the hinterland Igbos.
It was the Bini fugitives who copied, adopted and appropriated everything Igbo. Is that not the reality?

It is so glaring that the Bini titles were borrowed when you consider the titles or "afa etutu" of Onicha titled men.
Iyase, Odua,Onowu, Owelle title holders etc all have Igbo proper prefixes like Nnanyelugo, Akunne etc.
Monarchy in Igbo land is a British phenomenon like you know and had the British not intervened, its more than likely the Igbo clans
would have continued in their decentralized system that has been working for them.
Infact it is on record that the early warrant chiefs created by the British who transitioned into "kings" paid Onicha chiefs to tutor them on kingship rituals and ceremony.
Prior to then, the cultural dominance was Igbo through and through...and it was not forced or taught. It was native.
Bini influences and exposure to Bini style monarchies marked the difference btw the Igbo speaking peoples across the Niger along with their Onicha, Ogbaru and Oguta cousins...and the hinterland Igbos.

In summary, I think all available evidence point to the fact the people who fled Bini (methinks its actually Bini environs) and moved from Agbor all the way down to Oguta were native Igbo people. Not Edo and have never been Edo till date.
The names they still bear, their market days, deities, cultural practices...all point to this fact.

Ofcourse, I would love to see contrary evidence. I have been scouting for it.

From every explanation, narration, opinion and argument concerning the origin of the people in Anioma, this is the most reasonable I have read. I am from Ibusa and I am Igbo. Nothing can change it, except God comes from heaven and tells me I am not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Daum: 12:37pm On Jan 06, 2021
pazienza:

I don't think I have land grabbing tendencies lol...but I wish we could have some of our kind that are deep in ika land given back to us. Like the people of Oza nogogo and other towns.

All the igbanke people I know bear Edo names, yet they say they are not Benin. I just laugh and move on. You can't be bearing Osariemen and Ehiogie and not be Edo. But ask the people of Oza nogogo, they will tell you they're Benin.

Maybe if we become independent, we will have to negotiate on land with the Dein of Agbor.

As for Issele Uku, it is gone and gone. It's like a frontier that has been lost. Like Lagos that we can never get back. But we can always keep in touch with and maintain cordial relationship

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by gregyboy(m): 12:46pm On Jan 06, 2021
Daum:

I don't think I have land grabbing tendencies lol...but I wish we could have some of our kind that are deep in ika land given back to us. Like the people of Oza nogogo and other towns.

All the igbanke people I know bear Edo names, yet they say they are not Benin. I just laugh and move on. You can't be bearing Osariemen and Ehiogie and not be Edo. But ask the people of Oza nogogo, they will tell you they're Benin.

Maybe if we become independent, we will have to negotiate on land with the Dein of Agbor.

As for Issele Uku, it is gone and gone. It's like a frontier that has been lost. Like Lagos that we can never get back. But we can always keep in touch with and maintain cordial relationship

Are u talking as edo or igbo
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by gregyboy(m): 1:05pm On Jan 06, 2021
TsaTrinity:
Congrat to him...I knew this guy back in my secondary school. He was once the head boy and I commend his great leadership skills so am not surprised he's their king

What skul bro
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by gregyboy(m): 1:16pm On Jan 06, 2021
Franchise21:
My classmate in Secondary School

May ur reign be successful Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna

Wat secondary school
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 2:01pm On Jan 06, 2021
Daum:

Igbanke people I know all go by Igbo names mixed with Edo ones. I belong to INPA Facebook page and WhatsApp group, so I should know better.

Issele uku was never a frontier and was never a Bini territory. They were at best an Igbo speaking people who served as vassals to Bini empire in the Anioma region in the past. They were never Bini people despite all the historical distortions they churn out today. That Britain ruled Nigeria doesn't make us British people.

Ozanogogo are the only real Edo people in Anioma, and they still speak edoid language till today.
Other stories of Anioma towns who are Igbo speaking being founded by fictional Bini princes are senseless fabrications.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 06, 2021
pazienza:

A wise man dares not to speak on behalf of his people unless his people appointed him as their spokesperson or unless he is a traditional ruler.
In your case, you were not elected by the edo to be their spokesperson, you are not an edo traditional ruler, and you are not even an Edo.
Instead you would have us believe you have magical powers to read the minds of millions of edo people and that you are sharing the product of your magical powers with us pro bono.

For your info, I am Anioma and I say: "Oba ghatokpere! Isse !"

2 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 06, 2021
pazienza:

Actually your reasoning is faulty. There are several titles for Benin duke which are different from "enogie", Olu is one of them and Obi is one of them.
The fact is, you guys tend to try and translate Benin monarchial system into the british one which is impossible. there are some similarities (primogeniture for example), but both systems are fondamentally different. It is rather stupid to expect that since there is only one "duke" title in england therefor there must be only one in Benin empire.

Notice a Benin duke has as much authority as those you call kings (because in nigeria, you guys don't understand the meaning of words).
e.g : the Olu of warri was more powerful than the alafin of oyo.

It is funnny how your igbo people is very well known for landgrabbing and yet you are so quick to accuse an other people of langrabbing (reverse psychology ?). Just like the yoruba whose people are very well known for being liars and backstabbers and they are also the quickest in accusing other people of those ills of a decadent society.
What kind of madness inhabits you guys.
Face the facts, the langrabbers are the so called: "majority tribes": haussa-fulani, yoruba and igbo. The only exception minority tribe which has been doing a lot of landgrabbing since the 1980's is the ijaw whom are like the gypsies of southern nigeria: they have no lands and they want to settle, so they go after other people's lands, but ofcourse they would claim it is the land of their ancestors regardless of evidence proving otherwise.

Precolonial map of Benin below:

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 4:48pm On Jan 06, 2021
nocomment9999:

Actually your reasoning is faulty. There are several titles for Benin duke which are different from "enogie", Olu is one of them and Obi is one of them.
The fact is, you guys tend to try and translate Benin monarchial system into the british one which is impossible. there are some similarities (primogeniture for example), but both systems are fondamentally different. It is rather stupid to expect that since there is only one "duke" title in england therefor there must be only one in Benin empire.

Notice a Benin duke has as much authority as those you call kings (because in nigeria, you guys don't understand the meaning of words).
e.g : the Olu of warri was more powerful than the alafin of oyo.

Lol!

Don't be ignorant. Obi has nothing to do with Bini.

Obi is Igbo and has wide range of use in Igbo vocabulary. There are up to a thousand of Igbo names centred around Obi and none in Bini language.

Olu is Yoruba too. The Olu in Itsekiri is a Yoruboid imprint .

Yorubas have thousands of names centred around Olu. Olusegun Obasanjo, Olusola Saraki, etc. That's how you know Olu belongs to them and not to Bini.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 4:51pm On Jan 06, 2021
By the way, your map is ridiculous. Bini couldn't even get past Agbor and had to dig trenches all around your Eastern frontiers to protect yourselves from the Ikas.

5 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2021
pazienza:

Lol!

Don't be ignorant. Obi has nothing to do with Bini.

Obi is Igbo and has wide range of use in Igbo vocabulary. There are up to a thousand of Igbo names centred around Obi and none in Bini language.

Olu is Yoruba too. The Olu in Itsekiri is a Yoruboid imprint .

Yorubas have thousands of names centred around Olu. Olusegun Obasanjo, Olusola Saraki, etc. That's how you know Olu belongs to them and not to Bini.

When you speak, try and be logical. None of what you said proves any of your claims. As it stands, Olu and obi are Benin titles. The Olu of warri is a vassal to the Oba of Benin, the Obi of Iselu is a vassal to the Oba of Benin. I even read precolonial books which claimed the use of the title Obi was wide spread and even used by the ijebu.

Stop confusing present day observations with past reality. Things change with time.
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2021
nocomment9999:

A wise man dares not to speak on behalf of his people unless his people appointed him as their spokesperson or unless he is a traditional ruler.
In your case, you were not elected by the edo to be their spokesperson, you are not an edo traditional ruler, and you are not even an Edo.
Instead you would have us believe you have magical powers to read the minds of millions of edo people and that you are sharing the product of your magical powers with us pro bono.

For your info, I am Anioma and I say: "Oba ghatokpere! Isse !"

Anioma is a political union and has no meaning outside Igbo language.
Ozanogogo is Anioma too, and they are Edoid speakers. So I'm not bothered about your allegiance to Oba Bini.

I'm a Proud Igbo man who is very much comfortable with South East!

5 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 06, 2021
pazienza:
By the way, your map is ridiculous. Bini couldn't even get past Agbor and had to dig trenches all around your Eastern frontiers to protect yourselves from the Ikas.

Well, you offer your bias, I offer a map made by an eye witness. Which is better ?
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 06, 2021
pazienza:

Anioma is a political union and has no meaning outside Igbo language.
Ozanogogo is Anioma too, and they are Edoid speakers. So I'm not bothered about your allegiance to Oba Bini.

I'm a Proud Igbo man who is very much comfortable with South East!

It is "Oba of Benin"

2 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2021
nocomment9999:

When you speak, try and be logical. None of what you said proves any of your claims. As it stands, Olu and obi are Benin titles. The Olu of warri is a vassal to the Oba of Benin, the Obi of Iselu is a vassal to the Oba of Benin. I even read precolonial books which claimed the use of the title Obi was wide spread and even used by the ijebu.

Stop confusing presnt day observations with past reality.

Lol!

Olu is not Bini title and Obi is not Bini title too.
I don't know what you minorities benefit from these ridiculous historical distortions.

There are many Bini titles Anioma and Itsekiris use. But Olu and Obi are not one of them. Obi is Igbo derived while Olu is Yoruba derived.

Additional, usage of Bini titles by non Bini speaking people has nothing to do with them being Bini. Cultures do borrow. Today we use President, Governor, Chairman, etc as titles for leaders, yet we are not English/Americans. We simply borrowed them from them.

Our mother tongue shows that we are not English people despite the fact that we have copied their system of government, including their leadership titles and paraphernalia of office like the MACE for the Senate and all.

Neighboring Igbo speaking groups copied Bini monarchical system of government including their titles for leaders positions (which Obi is not one of them, as Obi is indigenous Igbo title) like Isama ( from Esama), Onishe/Onira( from Oliha), etc.
It doesn't make them Binis just as Nigerians are not English because we use English titles and paraphernalia of office today.

This should be common sense.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 06, 2021
pazienza:

Lol!

Olu is not Bini title and Obi is not Bini title too.
I don't know what you minorities benefit from these ridiculous historical distortions.

There are many Bini titles Anioma and Itsekiris use. But Olu and Obi are not one of them. Obi is Igbo derived while Olu is Anioma derived.

Additional, usage of Bini titles by non Bini speaking people has nothing to do with them being Bini. Cultures do borrow. Today we use President, Governor, Chairman, etc as titles for leaders, yet we are not English/Americans. We simply borrowed them from them.

Our mother tongue shows that we are not English people despite the fact that we have copied their system of government, including their leadership titles and paraphernalia of office like the MACE for the Senate and all.

Neighboring Igbo speaking groups copied Bini monarchical system of government including their titles for leaders positions (which Obi is not one of them, as Obi is indigenous Igbo title) like Isama ( from Esama), Onishe/Onira( from Oliha), etc.
It doesn't make them Binis just as Nigerians are not English because we use English titles and paraphernalia of office today.

This should be common sense.
I think you are not even trying to make sense. try and organize your ideas:

1) What is your thesis
2) Where is a proof of your thesis.

All I see in your write-up are random biased opinions not based on science of any kind .
Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by pazienza(m): 5:08pm On Jan 06, 2021
nocomment9999:

Well, you offer your bias, I offer a map made by an eye witness. Which is better ?

Map was made at a time the whites who drew it had not made contact with Igboland and hinterland.
So they erroneously assumed the Binis had control of territories hinterland beyond Abudu hills.
The map quickly changed immediately they had access to hinterland and found out how limited Bini powers were.

5 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 06, 2021
1) My thesis:

Most of southern nigeria was part of Benin empire.

2) My proof: precolonial map below:

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (74) (Reply)

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures / Post Pics Of Fulani Girls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.