Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,174 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola (9243 Views)

Can We Now Have State Police That The PDP Has Denied Us For 16yrs! / Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures / Dont Remove Fuel Subsidy, Allow State To Have State Fuel Taxes by Musiwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2009
who will have access to the information stored on the database

Good idea though,
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 24, 2009
Is it for only indigenes or all residents
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by snokky(m): 5:54pm On Nov 24, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Is it for only indigenes or all residents

indigenes ke? i think its for all residents. Who be real omo eko sef?

We all migrated!!!!!!!! .lol, smiley smiley smiley smiley including u!
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by proudly9ja(m): 6:15pm On Nov 24, 2009
Its a good idea and something some people have been screaming for for years now.

I don't think it has anything to do with keeping or not keeping people out of Lagos State, no state governor has that capability. However, it will help with planning for facilities and infrastructure. The major challenge he will have I believe willc ome from the Federal Government. Now we all know how the FG manipulates census figures. With the ID card scheme, it will be a sure way of showing that census figures in the past are rubbish! Lagos State should be ready to take this to the end.

Like someone suggested, I hope and pray it is biometric. I also expect them to extend it to people WORKING in Lagos. Some people live in neighbouring states but work in Lagos. This should include them too.

Another advantage of this is that it will help fight crime to an extent. Gone will be the days when someone can claim one name in Lagos and commit a crime and run to another state and claim another name. His biometric data will find him out.

This is a scheme I suggested to an old generation bank some years ago. When they complained about bad debts and international fraud, I suggested they make biometric cards for all their customers. In a Nigerian bank today, Mr X can borrow money from bank A and fail to pay back then go to bank B with fresh details, new name and identity and borrown money again. There's no link from A to B. With biometric data this would be impossible as banks will have unified data bank and actually KNOW YOU Customers as required by BOFIA. However, my idea was discarded.

Ofcourse, the idea above would have no need if the FG would only be more responsible and bold enough to go ahead with the National Identity card. But ofcourse, are they responsible?

I still mantain that the ID card scheme if implemented nationally, will solve half of Nigeria's problems if not more. No longer will we have the case of Ohanefe/Onanefe or Evans/Ewan (some of you know what Im talking about) grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by vikiviko(m): 6:19pm On Nov 24, 2009
GOOD IDEA FASH.

BUT HAVE IT IN MIND THAT THERE ARE MANY LAGOSIANS LIVING ABROAD , I HOPE THERE WON'T BE PROBLEMS WHEN COMING TO REGISTER AFTER TAKE OFF.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by beknown(m): 6:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
Is an ID card for Lagos residents necessary?

It would not have been necessary if the National ID card actually fulfilled the purpose.

Possible reasons why Fashola is introducing ID card in Lagos State:
-- He is tired and frustrated with the National ID card as he has no control over it.
-- He need the information desperately to be able to know who is who in Lagos.
-- He want to be able to recover money (tax or charges) from residents easily.
-- He want to know where you live to help check crime.
-- He want to be able to direct state support where it is needed.

Good idea.

Let everybody support it - One ID card per person.

Lagosians abroad may not qualify as residents unless they visit Lagos regularly, reside there or they have a house there. Lagosians who only visit Lagos for Christmas and other festivities is not really a resident.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by blackboy(m): 6:34pm On Nov 24, 2009
LOL!! No big deal. Everyone will get it even those who don't live in Lagos State. It's no big deal. A holiday , another scheme. Please give me the contract. Really, thi sstrong revenue generation drive desire ? or proof that Lagos has 20 million people?  There is no problem , Lagos people can handle anything and once you come to LAgos you learn fast. OBJ did his now Fash is doing his, no problem. Go ahead!! let me make some  money ( give me the contract ).

Paying the tax in Lagos is not a problem but really how is our money being spent? Fash is trying no doubt but really let's hope all his good work continues and there is judcious use of the money. Lagos should be an Utopia with the "billions" it collects monthly in  Internally generated revenue not to mention the billions from FGN.

Let the cards come . Lagosian are accustoms to change and adapt to it , it's might take a while but  they know how to suffer and smile.  

Let's see how the process goes for registration and delevery and etc  One thing I know , Lagos State will move forward ever so will Nigeria.

Every state should soon come up with it . I had better be prepared to start adding 36 state ID cards very soon plus the FCT plus the Nigerian card ( which was stolen and has not been replaced ).

LETS HAVE DECENT HOUSES, AFFORDABLE HOMES!!! GOOD ROADS!!! GOOD TRANSPORT SYSTEM!! JOBS!! which can put food on the table and make ends meet, not going to work and the salary is gone on transport fare before the end of the month. FACE ME FACE U , rag tag homes should eb a thing of the past. LAGOSIANS really know how to suffer and smile.

Let's get our priorities right.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 24, 2009
iyeyemi:

While acknowledging that the idea is not such a bad one ie It will be good for planning and all that and if done right might even help in law enforcement. But there are other implications to be considered.

What requirements would be made of a person seeking to obtain this card? Would it be an offense to be without the card? What will happen if I am stopped and am unable to produce the card? The bottomline - the institutions on ground are not ideal to enforce this innovation. We all know about the lastmas and the kais of this world, this would just be another avenue for 'revenue' generation and let's nt even talk about the police.

Great Idea - Yes, Great Implementation - Not likely
In case you have not noticed, In fasholas world, there is No CANT and no NOT LIKELY, there is no IMPOSSIBLE and ther are no EXCUSES, he sets his plan and works to bring it to light, he has not made any promise yet and failed to deliver. He is busy working constructively and positively, I suggest you do the same, a Hausa proverb says Jumm'a mai kyua da ga Laraba a ke gane wa, meaning you know you will have a good weekend from wednesday. If you are so negative now, you will be worse when u become a leader.
Cheers
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by kech(f): 6:39pm On Nov 24, 2009
iyeyemi:

While acknowledging that the idea is not such a bad one ie It will be good for planning and all that and if done right might even help in law enforcement. But there are other implications to be considered.

What requirements would be made of a person seeking to obtain this card? Would it be an offense to be without the card? What will happen if I am stopped and am unable to produce the card? The bottomline - the institutions on ground are not ideal to enforce this innovation. We all know about the lastmas and the kais of this world, this would just be another avenue for 'revenue' generation and let's nt even talk about the police.

Yep, that's what I was wondering too. The first thing is, what is the purpose of this card? Is it for tax purposes?, For census purposes?, For infrastructural purposes?, For barring people from coming into the state?, What exactly?  In the US it's usually for tax/record/census/identity/infrastructural/benefits and their likes. Depending on the state, you have to get at least 2 forms of documentation to prove you are a resident of the state in order to get your card. It may be some kind of bill, paycheck receipts and so on. Even children have to get proof that their parents are residents. But that DOES NOT mean you cannot live in the state if you don't have the card. [/b]You just won't be considered a resident of the state and won't get some benefits the residents get. Some people who live outside the state are even considered residents in some situations.  I like the idea though but there are other issues that need to be sorted out. Remember we are talking about a country that cannot even control the distribution of its  [b]supposedly "highest" and "most secure" document. The international Passport.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by vislabraye(m): 6:57pm On Nov 24, 2009
Fashola has great ideas, but another question is how would it be implemented. And who is a true lagosian? Is it those people who are born a breed in Lagos or people who migrated from other states?
How would it benefit the general populace?
Does it mean that the non-indigenes would be asked to leave?
Must you know how to speak Yoruba before you would be call an indigene?

Lagos is the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria, and many people of other tribes have come to settle here. He should take that into consideration.

There's something common in many of our leaders/politicians. They know how to make laws without considering the side effect(s). I hope that is not the case with him cos i'm a bit skeptical. For instance the privatization of Lekki- Aja express Way. People paying money to move from one part in Lagos to another would have its adverse effect. The cost of living would sky rocket. Imagine people living in Aja, it means you can't leave home if you don't have enough money. He should think of eradicating those area boys who collect money rather than erecting toll gates and make commuters pay additional fares,

Right now i'm in PH. Let me hurry back to Lagos and get my ID card before LASTMA or police  lock me up. smiley
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by meine: 7:00pm On Nov 24, 2009
Fashola spot on!

There can be no meaningful development and long term planning without a proper record and data of the population distribution and growth.

Ordinary South Africa is getting it right,they have been keeping records of their citizenry.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Singular: 7:11pm On Nov 24, 2009
by next year.so those that live in ogun, enugu, kaduna and other states are not allowed to go to lagos lol.lagos cannot spoil.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by bawomolo(m): 7:12pm On Nov 24, 2009
vislabraye:

Fashola has great ideas, but another question is how would it be implemented. And who is a true lagosian? Is it those people who are born a breed in Lagos or people who migrated from other states?

Most likely someone that is DOMICILED in the state and/or pays a state tax.   Not all indigenous lagosians are yoruba, there are egun people and many others.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by eaze: 7:20pm On Nov 24, 2009
this is a case of the cart before the horse. when other states don't have an infrastructure for an ID.  and then so what will be the consequences for not having an ID
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by kobikwelu(m): 7:27pm On Nov 24, 2009

OF all the posts seen here, only one hits the nail on the head-IYEYEMI_thanks for ur insights. smiley

have u guys considered the political implications of such an action?? fash vs yaradua(as usual the masses will suffer) cry

i bet u , non citizens will be harassed daily and EGUNGE will be given to those set to enforce this cool

will non citizens be allowed in the state, or will they be BOUNCED at the state border? cry

wot will be the criteria for bein a citizen.

tooooo much questions and soooooo little answers,

pls fash dont toe this path to perdition cry
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by eaze: 7:30pm On Nov 24, 2009
if you earn your money from lagos then you should have a ID for tax purposes. before you get a job in lagos you need to provide your id tax number. so that they can know how much you make and tax you accordingly.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by mekusxxx: 7:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
Is this a Lagos citizen's ID or Lagos resident's ID? News report versus NL Topic!!!!

In a country filled with certificate forgers. You can get Lagos ID in Aba. Even sef, na Lagos people go sell ID to others. No sweat, as this is another waste of money grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by dancewith: 7:37pm On Nov 24, 2009
This is a bad joke. simply insane is Nigeria. This is a country that has millions of youths & old unemployed and you are busy plotting an ID scheme. For what? What purpose will be serve that the national ID, Passport or Drivers Licence will not serve If you issue the IDs this month, by next month ten of thousands that will enter the state what will be their fate?? Ok so you will ask them to grab a card too? At whose cost. What of people like some of us abroad that returns to Lagos periodically. Will I now be discriminated against once in Lagos without a card? or must i get the card, even though i ve got a passport, for the duration of my stay? for what use? In a country without roads, electricity, food, shelter, good water, we are talking of a useless ID card when we already have 3 IDs that cannot be managed!!!! What will stop the Negerians from grabbing the cards too at a token bribe? Crazy. Mr Fashola, you are badly advised here
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 7:41pm On Nov 24, 2009
mekusxxx:

Is this a Lagos citizen's ID or Lagos resident's ID? News report versus NL Topic!!!!

In a country filled with certificate forgers. You can get Lagos ID in Aba. Even sef, na Lagos people go sell ID to others. No sweat, as this is another waste of money grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

No business for your alaba folks here, you can't fool biometrics,
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by mekusxxx: 7:43pm On Nov 24, 2009
babapupa:

No business for your alaba folks here, you can't fool biometrics,

Alaba or Oluwole? Stay there Ode. Even the biometric Naija passport is now being abused.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 7:44pm On Nov 24, 2009
dancewith:

This is a bad joke. simply insane is Nigeria. This is a country that has millions of youths & old unemployed and you are busy plotting an ID scheme. For what? What purpose will be serve that the national ID, Passport or Drivers Licence will not serve If you issue the IDs this month, by next month ten of thousands that will enter the state what will be their fate?? Ok so you will ask them to grab a card too? At whose cost. What of people like some of us abroad that returns to Lagos periodically. Will I now be discriminated against once in Lagos without a card? or must i get the card, even though i ve got a passport, for the duration of my stay? for what use? In a country without roads, electricity, food, shelter, good water, we are talking of a useless ID card when we already have 3 IDs that cannot be managed!!!! What will stop the Negerians from grabbing the cards too at a token bribe? Crazy. Mr Fashola, you are badly advised here

With thinking like yours, no country or state go ever advance.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 7:45pm On Nov 24, 2009
mekusxxx:

Alaba or Oluwole? Stay there Ode. Even the biometric Naija passport is now being abused.

You rants are always predictable, same meaningless nonsense as usual.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by morpheus24: 7:47pm On Nov 24, 2009
Abeg bring on the ID card quick make people no say I be omo eko resident
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by mekusxxx: 7:47pm On Nov 24, 2009
BP,
I am telling you that those Lagosions involved in the ID process are the ones who will prepare for, and sell the biometric ID to others. Your ear they pain you?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 7:56pm On Nov 24, 2009
mekusxxx:

BP,
I am telling you that those Lagosions involved in the ID process are the ones who will prepare for, and sell the biometric ID to others. Your ear they pain you?

Do you even know the meaning of biometrics?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 24, 2009
U see am by the time i will be guvnor and going around buzy with my visionary plans they will say i'm after doing fashola, but they dont know I am making out my own plans that has been! gosh!!

Link the ID card to the police database,
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DiHighest: 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2009
WHO WILL SUCCEED YARA'DUA
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by walakolobo: 8:39pm On Nov 24, 2009
these same idiots ranted that the national ID card was not necessary.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by mamagee3(f): 8:44pm On Nov 24, 2009
Fashola is doing a better job than Yaradua!. cheesy cheesy
Impeach Yarasick and put Fashola in office
! angry
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by benlay(m): 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2009
It's a welcome idea but still all Nigerians still need to carry National identity number each cos the card can always be pirated almost everywhere within the metropolis but your ID # is necessary, now we need to create a record for each individual so that wherever u go within the country Police could check one's criminal records/background.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by mekusxxx: 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2009
BP,

See how it works. A Yoruba official in the proposed ID office will collect money from an Igbo trader in Alaba, take his digital passport photo and other necessary details required for a biometric document, and then give him the processed ID, with a Yoruba name on it. No be Yoruba man again? Your ear still dey pain you?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by presido1: 10:42pm On Nov 24, 2009
This is a big joke infact joke of the century.
The cost of the biometric ID, maintenance and securing the data base against hacking will liquidate Lagos state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Election Campaigns: INEC Lists Guidelines For Conduct Of Rallies / 2023: PDP Speaks On Crisis Tearing APC Apart In Enugu / Don't Blame Buhari For The Mess You Put Benue - Garba Shehu Criticizes Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.