Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola (9244 Views)

Can We Now Have State Police That The PDP Has Denied Us For 16yrs! / Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures / Dont Remove Fuel Subsidy, Allow State To Have State Fuel Taxes by Musiwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Eziachi: 12:57am On Nov 29, 2009
Sound good on paper but the workability and practicality remains to be seen, when Nigerians moves about like cattles. How do you run or manage an ID system, when 60% of the population has no fix address or when they do, their is no recognised postcode/zipcode system for addresses?
There are no recognised birth/death record of any sort. Most Nigerians celebrate the same 20t birthday for a couple years.
A country where almost all douments are faked, from passport to driving lincese or even CBN secured documents and Lagos being as the undisputed document forgery HQ of the world.

Who is qualified to obtain one and who isn't?
ID card will be another license for police to harrass and extort money from the most defenceless people.
Like I said, it sounds very plausible but, it will rather make life difficult for venerable people than improving their life. If you doubt the impact, ask Cameroon folks. I will rather push them, especially the police to start recording crimes and all criminal convictions.

An ID that doesn't cover the whole nation is meaningless as people are constantly on the move all the time.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 1:06am On Nov 29, 2009
The Governor lamented that even the basic information from individuals which are also fundamental in building up data for good governance are lacking, pointing out that people are unwilling to give such basic information as their ages, residential addresses, date of birth and other related information that are necessary for building up essential data.

He wondered why people shy away from giving such information at home while they readily do so at the entry points into foreign countries when they travel abroad. “Citizens must sign on. They must let us know that they exist”, he said.

maybe because there are laws backing the officers and the consequences of not providing these personal information to legal authorities are transparently obvious- the reasons for asking these personal questions are obvious to and they usually tell people  undecided

come to think of it, some of the data is already with the govt!
People use them when buying drivers' license or registering their cars
lagosians fill out form when applying for schools and jobs
the hospitals have these data, no? that's how people get treated right
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by sbo(m): 1:13am On Nov 29, 2009
There is no doubt that Governor Fashola has been performing remarkably well since his assumption of office. In fact, his administration has provided some glimmer of hope for those who believed that nothing good can come out of our democratic governance.

Whilst the process from which he emerged as Governor remains questionable (a la Action Congress party primaries), he has no doubt grabbed the bull by the horn. He has taken advantage of the privilege he’s been granted, through effective leadership and vision.

Notwithstanding all the good work, I can still point to some key policy decisions taken by Fashola administration that are debatable. An example was the recent repatriation of destitute and beggars to Kaduna by officials of Lagos state government.

Some have argued that the street beggars need to be repatriated because they constitute a public nuisance and also, it is an offence under the state environmental laws to beg. Yes I agree, but what about the street urchins (area boys, the ‘omo isale eko’) terrorising innocent people to extort money? Will the Lagos state government deport them to their local governments? For me, the constitution is very clear. A Nigerian citizen is free to live wherever he or she chooses. And if anyone breaks the law, they should be charged to court under the applicable federal or state law.

Another example was the decision of the state government to introduce its own “driver’s re-certification cards”, which I will refer to de facto drivers’ licence. This again for me undermines the existence of the FRSC, an organisation that is legally charged with the responsibility of driver licensing.

The latest proposal which I find not only laughable but nonsensical - hence this article - is the plan to introduce an ‘identity card’ for Lagos residents.

According to Gov. Fashola,

"We have now reached a stage where it is no longer avoidable to ask: ‘How many people can Lagos State meaningfully employ and sustain?, The state is being faced with a daily influx of people from all over the country who want to take advantage of the opportunities of an economy that works…….But, the reality is that persistent uncontrolled population growth worsens the problem of poverty and negates the government's efforts to improve the quality of life for majority of the people."

Irrespective of Governor’s intent, I will state categorically that any plan to introduce an identity card by a state government is unconstitutional and thus illegal. One can only begin to wonder if Lagos is drifting towards becoming a ‘fascist’ state. Previously it was non-indigene street beggars that were repatriated, and now it is ID card.

There is no gainsaying that Lagos is under immense pressure as a result of continuous rural-urban migration. But the problem of urban migration is not just synonymous with Lagos. Major cities like New York, London and New Delhi also have to deal with same challenge. Whilst the influx of people also continues to put pressure on the local infrastructure of these major cities, I’m yet to read anywhere that the solution proffered by their administrators was introduction of ID cards. Instead of initiating policies that undermines the nation’s constitution, the Governor should rather agitate that Lagos be granted a ‘special’ status, in order to increase its federal revenue allocation.

So what exactly is Gov. Fashola trying to achieve? Who does he intend to issue with an ID card? Let’s assume the ID card will be only for Lagos residents. What about people who travel interstate to work in Lagos? Is Gov. Fashola thinking of rationing Lagos state infrastructure and services amongst Lagos residents only?

I sometimes don’t get it when people see Lagos as an ‘entity’ unto itself. Just because the state has been experiencing massive infrastructure development, when compared to other states – thanks to Gov. Fashola – does not give it any right to preclude non-indigenes from accessing state-funded services.

Already, we have a nation is divided along ethnic lines. This attitude of “if you are not a Lagos taxpayer, don’t come to Lagos” cannot be right for our democracy. Such attitude only entrench ethnic divisions, in country that has been blighted by years of ethnic violence.

We have situations where non-indigenes are not allowed access to some state-funded services. I know some state universities that an open policy of making it extremely hard for non-indigenes. There are some schools that charge students additional fees if there are non-indigene. And to think that a state government will go a step further, contemplating the introduction an ID card, is just preposterous.

Truth be told, no matter how inconsistent the nation’s constitution may be, Lagos is not a ‘sovereign’ state. Therefore, the Governor has no right to implement policies that will preclude non-indigenes. No state administrator has any right to control the number of people who choose to live in a state. Let the Governor be reminded that state government does not confer citizenship status. You can only be a Nigerian citizen.

There is no doubt that, for effective planning and service delivery, the state government needs to know the population of its local residents. I recall the controversies that ensued between the federal government and Lagos state following the last national population census. Which meant, depending on who you ask, the ‘official’ population of Lagos varies by as much as five million!

But instead of thinking about how to regulate influx of people into Lagos through a ‘not fit for purpose’ ID card scheme, there are other ways through which the state government can manage its rapid population growth. As with major cities of the world, population growth is managed through implementation of sound strategic planning policies.

Strategic land use planning provides an opportunity for the government to channel population growth towards specific areas. It also helps to regulate any proposed changes to land use by prohibiting certain development in specific areas.

Culled from Heal Nigeria Blog
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 2:16am On Nov 29, 2009
^^^ Utter rubbish. The writer must think states are federal parastatals or local governments. He/she is in dire need of some crash course on Nigerian system of government and basic social studies.

You are a resident of where you live, work, shit and pay taxes and if not, you're a non resident, meaning you are not entitled to state benefits and you're free to go back to where ever you live, work, shit and pay taxes, they owe you same sets of benefits the Lagos state governments offers it's residents.

I know the state is chartering new and uncharted waters in Nigeria because the federal government and other states have been sleeping and still sleeping, they have no clue per their arrogated obligations and rights as a state/s. To a lot of them, the federal government is still the alpha and omega, the beginning and end of everything.

Fashola is obviously laying the foundation for a sane, credible and prosperous society, the society the federal government  don't give a hoot about and have zero or no interest in. Only a stupid and incompetent state government folds it's hands and take cues from useless and inept federal government.

The way I see it and hate or like him, Fashola is the main catalyst for change and meaningful government in Nigeria and states all over the country ought to borrow and use his template.

An for my own good and sanity, I'll ignore most of the dumb and Ignorant talk in the article,
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Kay17: 2:41pm On Nov 29, 2009
babapupa:

^^^ Utter rubbish. The writer must think states are federal parastatals or local governments. He/she is in dire need of some crash course on Nigerian system of government and basic social studies.

You are a resident of where you live, work, shit and pay taxes and if not, you're a non resident, meaning you are not entitled to state benefits and you're free to go back to where ever you live, work, shit and pay taxes, they owe you same sets of benefits the Lagos state governments offers it's residents.

I know the state is chartering new and uncharted waters in Nigeria because the federal government and other states have been sleeping and still sleeping, they have no clue per their arrogated obligations and rights as a state/s. To a lot of them, the federal government is still the alpha and omega, the beginning and end of everything.

Fashola is obviously laying the foundation for a sane, credible and prosperous society, the society the federal government don't give a hoot about and have zero or no interest in. Only a stupid and incompetent state government folds it's hands and take cues from useless and inept federal government.

The way I see it and hate or like him, Fashola is the main catalyst for change and meaningful government in Nigeria and states all over the country ought to borrow and use his template.

An for my own good and sanity, I'll ignore most of the dumb and Ignorant talk in the article,
why this blind faith? for God's sake this idiotic govnor has no respect for the constitution, why classify harmless defenceless poor invalids as public nusiance. The constitution clearly states that nigerian citizens are free to move and own property in any state of the federation. thus, why does fashola want to use this id mechanism to restrict and control movement of nigerian citizens. probably his next harebrain scheme is purge the state of all non-indigenes. this move is an unnecessary step backwards.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2009
Kay 17:

why this blind faith? for God's sake this unfortunate govnor has no respect for the constitution, why classify harmless defenceless poor invalids as public nusiance. The constitution clearly states that nigerian citizens are free to move and own property in any state of the federation. thus, why does fashola want to use this id mechanism to restrict and control movement of nigerian citizens. probably his next harebrain scheme is purge the state of all non-indigenes. this move is an unnecessary step backwards.

Really, your problem is paranoia, not Fashola.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by sulad82i(m): 7:21am On Dec 01, 2009
this is a good idea. it a policy used here in the state and does not prevent you from moving to other states nor prevent pple from other state from moving to lagos state. my only fear is that will other leaders continue to use the card or will it abandon? lots of promising policies are implemented and have being implemented in the past but they fail because they were ignore and pushed aside, which result into waste of the state resources.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by rethink: 7:33am On Dec 01, 2009
@all

Is it not strange

The police
The navy and other parts of the armed forces have Id cards. Even some of you in your compannies are issued Id cards

but when it comes to state government ID card we quickly run to the constitution hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Virgo83(m): 10:25am On Dec 02, 2009
I have been expecting this since the 2ND Term of Asiwaju Awon Ole: Bola Tinubu
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by heilige(m): 8:31am On Dec 07, 2009
A very nice and intelligent move. That is another way of conducting a census. Go on Mr. Fashola. Eko oni baaje oooo !
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Vuitton(m): 5:27pm On Dec 13, 2009
Hope the scheme works cool
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 8:32pm On Dec 13, 2009
A very nice and intelligent move. That is another way of conducting a census. Go on Mr. Fashola. Eko oni baaje oooo !

Indeed.

Only NPC is the legal body allowed to conduct census in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 10:19pm On Dec 13, 2009
^^^^^Conducting census is not limited to the federal government.

Anybody fit conduct census, you fit conduct one inside your own house sef,
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Kay17: 11:28am On Dec 14, 2009
babapupa:

^^^^^Conducting census is not limited to the federal government.

Anybody fit conduct census, you fit conduct one inside your own house sef,

thats if you cannot read or write. Census is a very sensitive issue, by the constitution, only the federal government can conduct one. besides its very costly. i wonder if fashola has an intention to issue the ID cards to toddlers and babies!
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 12:46am On Apr 17, 2010
four months into 2010, how far?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by sulad82i(m): 1:40am On Apr 17, 2010
I support the act in as much its use in the right way and not a scheme that will be used to take more money from the state govt account in the name of providing cards for the people. If the card can be used in the right way, it should be link to individual's address, bank accounts (for identification purpose). It should also be requested in places, in banks before people withdraw money and be recorded every time. This is one of the way people can be controlled and monitored for security reasons.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 11:56pm On Apr 19, 2010

promise, plans, blueprint, white elephant
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Kobojunkie: 12:01am On Apr 20, 2010
There is still hope ooo !!! ( counting down to end of 2010)
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 12:11am On Apr 20, 2010
About 12m-16million people in eight months, i don't think so
the contract for the machine alone will take 6months- the old machines will not be used or modified  grin

up to a 1000 new I.T/Database/Admin jobs could have been created.    .    .    .
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Apr 20, 2010
Dis Guy:

About 12m-16million people in eight months, i don't think so
the contract for the machine alone will take 6months- the old machines will not be used or modified grin

up to a 1000 new I.T/Database/Admin jobs could have been created. . . .

To be honest, I think a lot of the news we get is after the deals, and sometimes, the contracts have already been assigned and started. It is possible the companies submitted prototypes and stuff. So, I am thinking it is possible, depending on how many hands they have working on it. Normally, I would say at least 6 months for testing of a project of that magnitude but this is Nigeria so it is probably not required to be even 60% before deployment.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by sulad82i(m): 6:03am On Apr 20, 2010
Even if the equipment is there, good amount of pple will not go to get theirs.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 8:22am On Apr 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

To be honest, [b]I think a lot of the news we get is after the deals, and sometimes, t[/b]he contracts have already been assigned and started. It is possible the companies submitted prototypes and stuff. So, I am thinking it is possible, depending on how many hands they have working on it. Normally, I would say at least 6 months for testing of a project of that magnitude but this is Nigeria so it is probably not required to be even 60% before deployment.

True, and its usually very easy for the project to be abandon with half the monies paid without the public knowing, another govt will probably announce the project again
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 8:24am On Apr 20, 2010
sulad82i:

Even if the equipment is there, good amount of pple will not go to get theirs.

Well if you are going to be charging the extra everything and bringing out the same project over and over again; you cant really blame them
and if teh govt wants it to work they can, no services until you can provide you I.D card just like tax card/receipt
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Kobojunkie: 1:21pm On Apr 20, 2010
Dis Guy:

True, and its usually very easy for the project to be abandon with half the monies paid without the public knowing, another govt will probably announce the project again

True . . . I believe something like this was announced over 3 times during the last administration. Even the police project to digitize fingerprint records got abandoned along the way.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by sulad82i(m): 1:31pm On Apr 20, 2010
Dis Guy:

Well if you are going to be charging the extra everything and bringing out the same project over and over again; you cant really blame them
and if teh govt wants it to work they can, no services until you can provide you I.D card just like tax card/receipt

It will be a good idea to have most of the things done by individuals to be linked to this id. But a lot of pple dont go to the govt for any help so there wont be a way for d govt to force those pple. But getting private business involve can go a long way. e.g the banks asking for your id before you open an account, withdraw, and do other thing. They can create some form internal control that will make it hard for people to neglect the id.
As for d benefit promised by the govt, first thing that come to my mind is "another loophole to steal money". cos those pple wont give sh1t.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 12:05am On Jul 01, 2010
July 2010
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On Jul 01, 2010
Dis Guy:

July 2010

ROFLMAO!!
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by spoilt(f): 12:09am On Jul 01, 2010
Much ado about identity cards. People are hungry.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Nobody: 12:24am On Jul 01, 2010
I guess this is a good thing. . . . state identification. I hope they start finger printing too. This will help solve a lot of cases in Nigeria.

But I bet you the old grannies no go use am. The last time my grandma went home, she accidentally threw away her visa/passport.

Actually, this is a VERY good idea.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by DisGuy: 2:43am On Aug 10, 2010
August 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Don't Blame Buhari For The Mess You Put Benue - Garba Shehu Criticizes Ortom / Nigerians Decry Rising Price Of Food Items / Maku Calls For Cancellation Of Nasarawa PDP Gubernatorial Primary Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.