Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,790 members, 7,831,551 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US (10239 Views)

Nigeria Planning Airline On $2 Billion Aviation Expansio / I'm Planning To Travel To Malaysia For Studies, Please I Need Your Opinion / 10 Days In Nigeria And I Am Planning To Relocate To Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by hotangel2(f): 3:49am On Oct 01, 2005
kazey:

You are misinformed. Nigeria is a lovely place to live and have fun.

Always put: If you have your money.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by loveth(f): 10:32am On Oct 07, 2005
Cos the standard ov living in Nigeria is now very low and poor.
they are going there cos the standard ov living ov the people is very rich and high.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by goodguy(m): 5:41pm On Oct 08, 2005
you're right Loveth
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by adesodgi(m): 5:47pm On Oct 08, 2005
Omo no dream o,struggle sef dey dere,no place like home wey you know in and out..
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 3:43pm On Nov 19, 2005
If America is a bed of roses i think all the people that have travelled down there would have become billionaires by now; but what percentage are even in the 5 million dollar bracket.

Talents can't grow in Nigeria. Infact the Nigerian system is a talent killer.

That's a misguided quote. People are making it in Nigeria big time. Dangote, Akindele (Aramed), Sonny Okogwu, Coscharis, Subomi Balogun etc all started their business empires in Nigeria and they are making it big.

Those that come down here to do "owambe" show off are those that are really doing badly over there.

I can only go overthere to study. If people around here have the same mindset with me am sure we can become one of the very best country in 3 years.

One reason why some people thing oyinbo land is better than Nigeria is because of the way we have all been brought up, we see ourselves as second class citizens to the whites.

My advice for any intending migrants, when you go there know you will have to deal with 2 sets of racisim, 1 from the whites and the second from the black-americans.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by hotangel2(f): 4:40am On Nov 20, 2005
U are naming people... that are BIG! And have been making it since all these years!

Those people are the 10% (not accurate), that only make it in Nigeria. Come on... Look at it now. Each average NIgerian feeds on not more than a dollar ($1) each day (that's accurate). Yes some people make it.. But majority don't. And that's because Of the way the country is. Your talents are being killed!
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by IAH(f): 9:51am On Nov 20, 2005
No matter how bad it is, Nigeria is where I wanna live.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Ajisafe: 11:21am On Nov 20, 2005
Those people are the 10% (not accurate

They are not even up to 2% of the population!

And, @ Kazey, are you in Nigeria?
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 11:41am On Nov 20, 2005
So is it everybody int the US that are living comfortably.

I have been able to chat with family and friends who are in the US what they told me is that what we have here is what they have there. Some are rich some are poor. If you are living comfortably in Nigeria you will forget thinking about running to a country where you will be treated as a third class citizen.

And some of you comparing Nigeria to the US, you are all stupid. The US did not achieved what Nigeria has achieved in 40 years when they where 60 years.

They are more developed due to their age. July 4, 1776 - Octber 1, 1960 clearly shows a difference of 184 solid years.

If we are able to get 50 more years am sure we will not be where we are today.

They (US) have faced corruption, illitracy, poverty, insecurity and so on. If some of you can ready about the US in the past you will know their present did not come as a fairytale, but a result of collective building.

1 Like

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Ajisafe: 12:19pm On Nov 20, 2005
And some of you comparing Nigeria to the US, you are all stupid. The US did not achieved what Nigeria has achieved in 40 years when they where 60 years.

@ Joftech, you made quite an excellent point, but don't call people stupid -- that's not nice.

1 Like

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by goodguy(m): 6:13pm On Nov 20, 2005
joftech:

The US did not achieved what Nigeria has achieved in 40 years when they where 60 years.

They are more developed due to their age. July 4, 1776 - Octber 1, 1960 clearly shows a difference of 184 solid years.

If we are able to get 50 more years am sure we will not be where we are today.

They (US) have faced corruption, illitracy, poverty, insecurity and so on. If some of you can ready about the US in the past you will know their present did not come as a fairytale, but a result of collective building.

This is exactly what I try to make people around me understand.

However, talking about "talent-killing", Nigeria is a very perfect example of where such is practised. (I'm not sure the US ever faced that during their own miserable days). If talents continue to be killed here, I doubt if Nigeria will ever attain that great height, not even in a hundred years to come.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 6:43pm On Nov 20, 2005
So what is all these talent-killing all about.

Has anyone ever kill your talents. If some of the things that are needed to bring your ideas to the fore are not available why don't you try and create a work around those things. If it's NEPA why don't you get a generator and pass on the bill for the petrol and maintainance to your custormers. If it's water why don't you get a well in your home. And if it's good road why don't you get an okada or a 4wd (SUV).

Saying Nigeria is a talent-killer is what i see as the worst unbridled talk. No where is the world is ever conducive for business, there will always be things that will always militate against the smooth running of a venture initially, but with time and perseverance everything will work out fine.

There are potentials in this country, but the problem is that no one is ever ready to do the dirty job of starting it first.
I will like Seun to share his experience before starting www.nairaland.com so you can all see that it's not easy been an entreprenuer.

We have good talents here in Nigeria, King Sunny Ade, Wole Soyinka, 2Face, Lagbaja, and millions of others are examples

You are the only one that can kill your own talents.

Am borrowing Kanye West lyrics here:

You see, if you evern wanted to ever be anything
There'd always be somebody that shoot down any dream
There'll always be haters, that's the way it is
Hater niggaz marry hater bitches and have hater kids
But they gon' have to take my life 'fore they take my drive
'Cause when I was barely livin, that's what kept me alive
Just the thought that maybe it could be better than what we at at this time

Some say he arrogant. Can y'all blame him?
It was straight embarrassing how y'all played him
Last year shoppin my demo, I was tryin' to shine
Every motherfucker told me that I couldn't rhyme
Now I could let these dream killers kill my self-esteem
Or use my arrogance as the steam to power my dreams
I use it as my gas, so they say that I'm gassed
But without it I'd be last, so I ought to laugh
So I don't listen to the suits behind the desk no more
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by goodguy(m): 8:20pm On Nov 20, 2005
Quote from: solo2 on June 05, 2005, 05:39 PM
They are going to where their talents will not be killed, a free society where people are being sponsored to develope their talents for the benefit of not only Americans but for the whole world.

From Hot-angel:

That's it.

God bless you solo. That's the answer. I mean, that's just the answer. Can you not see it. Talents are being killed in Nigeria. I have a cousin, he is very good soccer player, his dad use to To BEAT him like a dog while he was in Nigeria because he went to play soccer. His dad would almost get the life out of him because his dad think kids that go out and play soccer instead of staying at home to read, are bad kids. (if your pikin head no carry book/school, abeg leave am make hin do something else now..nobe everyone dey go school).

Anyways to cut the story short, the guy came here to stay with his aunt and he went to high school(secondary school). He joined the soccer (football) team...he became the best player on the team (not one of the best ooo..I mean The best). They went for a match between their school and a never defeated school, and the boy got most of the goals and his school won the match. The guy got a full schorlarship to princeton. He was asked to go and study any course he wants. A Professional team is asking him to join them..but he says he wants to obey his dad and become a doctor..(he also wants to have his degree..he isn't doing this for his dad..but his dad kind of made him want to do it). He is in PRinceton now, and he's on a soccer team where he is.

Where is my point you ask?? My point is that, that boys life will never be as it is if he didn't leave Nigeria.

Take ur time to read this. This is exactly what I mean and not all the story u're telling.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 8:34pm On Nov 20, 2005
Take your time to read this. This is exactly what I mean and not all the story u're telling.

Hot Angel does not really make any sense to me. The father know quite well that the chances of his son making a career out of playing football is very slim, so he is trying to protect his future. If the boy finaly made it to Princeton as a result of his footballing prowes thank God, but i doubt if that will ever give him his degree.

So back to the issue at hand. When you run away from realities i tell you, you can only run you can't hide.

If you know how i used to treasure going abroad before discovering for myself that there are possibilities of achieving somethings here. I refuse to go abroad to do all sort of menial jobs in order to settle down. I myself i still do nurse the hope of going abroad to study, it may not necesarily be US. I know the mission and purpose of my going abroad, and once am through with my studies am coming back home.

So you (Goodguy and Hot Angel) need to talk from the perspective of people that are making a living for themselves not those that are still been spoonfeed.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by goodguy(m): 9:07pm On Nov 20, 2005
joftech:

I myself i still do nurse the hope of going abroad to study, it may not necesarily be US. I know the mission and purpose of my going abroad, and once am through with my studies am coming back home.
This is my aim also, as well as so many other Nigerians out there. I really don't think everyone travelling out is on a "no return" journey. So many people have plans for this country. But to carry out those plans successfully, they first need to exhibit their talents where they know it won't be killed, so that by the time they'll return to the country, no one will doubt their abilities.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 9:37pm On Nov 20, 2005
But to carry out those plans successfully, they first need to exhibit their talents where they know it won't be killed, so that by the time they'll return to the country, no one will doubt their abilities.

i don't believe in anyone killing anyones talent. I can remember it was around this time last year when i wanted to start my own business, some people called me to tell me that am too young, that it's this and that. You know what, i told them right then and there that there's no going back on my descision. And i thank God today they have been able to come around and see what the Lord has done. Assuming i have chickened out due to not having a determination of my own, i would not have become a business owner today.

It's not that i don't recognice the fact that there are dream killers out there, but you are the only one that can give them the final say over your dreams.

And mind you how you operate a business somewhere else might be quite different from how you will operate it in your home country. Here i know the market and what people want since am part of the crowd, but how are you going to market your talent where the people don't know the meaning and value of it.

1 Like

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by hannah8(f): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2005
The grass always does look greener on the other side smiley. It rarely is this way though-- the grass is just different, not greener smiley.

When your choices become limited and difficult, they suddenly become surprisingly more desirable.

You get to another country and what you gain on one hand you lose on the other. I'm talking--- sacrifice friendship and family bonds for guarantees of having a house to live in always and enough money to buy basic food and healthcare. I'm in the UK and the grass even looks greener on other sides from here (and i should be very happy and secure here!).... i talk to and learn about Nigeria and Nigerians and envy their simple life and strong beliefs and family bonds. I am at an advantage though- i can change it and go where i choose and desire (and will readily take the chance if and when it presents as the right time) Ultimately, your peace is determined only by yourself and placing yourself in greener pastures will leave you with the same blank hole inside and wondering "what went wrong? I thought life here was meant to be good?"

1 Like

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by loveth(f): 7:29pm On Dec 01, 2005
hmmmmmmmmmm.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by pete(m): 6:36am On Dec 09, 2005
You could make it anywhere,home or abroad.We all at one point ran to lagos after secondary school, right? ask yourself again, why was that?well keep the answer to yourself. You would not leave university and return to osogbo or Ikire or ughelli to look for job as a lawyer,would you? i guess not.However, that was where Nigeria's crisis started from. Even those who studied agric. left the villages where the farm land is for lagos and PH and abuja. same way doctors, lawyers and engineers, i mean big brains, even our collehe professors and leaving for the UK and americas.
There is a kid I knew back then, I can attest that this kid is one of the finest brain OAU medical school even hard since its inception.now he wants to go to the states...I promise to help him and I would.can I refuse him, because I want him to not be drained from nigeria? sure not, he is got a mom and 4 other siblings to care and as a young medical practitioner in nigeria, he may end up being a reproach to his family, cos when he can't meet their demands, they would wonder if they had wasted the money borrowed to send him to Ife.
Again, you could suffer in america as well as suffer in Nigeria,its not the location, its the locator. There are american who can't house themselve.I mean not even a dollar to buy a dunnut, ok I mean beggers.A nigerian could be rich here as well as back at home, could be bleeped up here as well as back at home, as stated by a few, the chances are better here. My only concern is that, there be a few Nigerian who would someday gather all they have learned overseas and try to better motherland, its not about going back with big cars or all that stupid display of deception. I have seen Nigerian here who feed white people and house them.I do not lend credence to Nigerians who also think the country is HELL and must be jettisoned as a matter of urgency. Just as you would leave Ife or Akure for lagos, you could leave benin or ilesa for california or bristol.Just stay in the faith and love God,DONE.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Hotstepper(f): 3:54pm On Dec 14, 2005
ALL THESE THINGS HAVE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. IT AMAZES ME HOW PPL TALK ABOUT AMERICA AND WANTING TO COME TO AMERICA ESP. WITH THIS THEIR VISA LOTTERY. AMERICA SHOWZ YOU NICE PLACES SO YOU WILL BE HUNGRY TO COME BUT WHEN YOU FINALLY COME, YOU KNOW IT IS NOT WHAT YOU WERE EXPECTING. EVERYWHERE IS GOOD AND BAD TO LIVE DEPENDING HOW YOU WANT TO MAKE A LIVING AND YOUR PLANS. LIKE IN WESTERN WORLD, WITHOUT EDUCATION, FORGET ABOUT GOOD JOB NOT TO TALK TO BEING RICH. ALSO IN WESTERN WORLD ESPECIALLY AMERICA, PPL WORK 24/7 JUST TO MAKE A LIVING LIKE PAY RENTS, BILLS ETC AND WHEN THEY GO TO NIGERIA, THEY SPEND LIKE NO MAN'S BUSINESS AND DAT BECOMES ANOTHER REASON WHY OTHERS WOULD WANT TO JOIN NOT KNOWING THE PERSON WOULD GO BACK 2 WORK 24/7 BACK TO BACK. SOME PEOPLE HAVE HOUSES BUT NEARLY SLEEP IN IT CUZ THEY HAVE TO PAY MORGAGE SO PEOPLE TRY TO IMPRESS PEOPLE THEREFORE SUFFERING IN THE PROCESS. ANOTHER THING IS THAT, LEAVING YOUR COUNTRY TO A FOREIGN LAND IS SOMETHING I WOULD ADVICE ANYONE NOT TO DO. IT WILL BE LIKE U ARE IN A PRISON EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE NOT CUZ YOU WILL BE HIDING FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER AND DOING SOME STUPID JOBS AND LIKE IN AMERICA WHERE YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR ALMOST EVERYTHING LIKE HEALTH CARE BECOMES A NITEMARE. COME HERE IF YOU HAVE A PURPOSE. I KEEP TELLING PEOPLE THAT HERE AIN'T WHAT THEY THINK IT IS AND SUMTIMES I JUST WISH EVERY NIGERIAN CAN HAVE THE OPPORUNITY TO COME AND EXPERIENCE. EVEN AS MEDICAL DOCTORS ETC, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO DO ONE OR TWO THINGS LIKE REWRITE MCAT ETC OR IN MOST CASES, NO AMERICAN OR CANADIAN EXPERIENCE. MANY PEOPLE IN MOST CASES ARE LEAVING AMERICA TO GO RO CANADA AND SO FAR ALOT OF THEM LIKES CANADA AND HAS ONE OR TWO THINGS TO SAY. PEOPLE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT PEOPLE TELL THEM UNTIL THEY COME AND EXPERIENCE IT THEMSELVES. WHEN I TALK TO SOME PEOPLE HERE, MOST OF THEM DOESN'T WANAN GO HOME BECAUSE TO THEM, NO NEED OR NO PAPER. THE ONES ENJOYING HERE ARE THE ONES THAT NOMATTER WHAT IN NIEGRIA, THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO EAT SO THEY SAY ITS BETTER FOR THEM TO BE HERE AND DO FACTORY JOB AND BE GUARANTEED OF FOOD, WATER, ELECTRICITY ETC. BUT NO RIGHT PEOPLE WHO IS DOING WELL IN NIGERIA WOULD WANT TO COME HERE AND STAY..IMPOSSIBLE..EVEN IF THATS HOW THE KIND WESTERN WORLD THEY TOO SWEET PEOPLE. I WON'T BE SUPRISED THAT SOON AMERICA WILL DO THE SAME THING UK DID WITH LIMITING WHO COMES TO THEIR COUNTRY...I SHALL BE BACK ONCE AM DONE WITH SKOOL TO LIVE AND WORK IN NIGERIA. WE DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT FOR OUR GOVERNMENT TO DO THINGS..DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN......WEALTHY PEOPLE SHOULD TRY AND DEVELOP THEIR TOWNS DATS WHY I WILL KEEP PRASING NNEWI IN AMAMBRA STATE.......ENOUGH SAID

2 Likes

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by paddylo1(m): 2:15am On Dec 22, 2005
There is nowhere better than the U.S....for young Nigerians except of course....staying back home....life at home, naija.. is still much better than here...but if u must travel,then come to the states....be prepared to be underwhelmed though....there s not much difference between the basics here and back home....and be prepared to miss naija like mad.....be a bachelor...live your life, have fun..hit the clubs...chicks are off the chain.....visit vegas...san fran...chicago....great cities....if u must live in the east coast..try philadelphia....u will love it....and before i forget...your first year will be rough...no money,long hrs working,no car....no girl.....once u get through that..u'll be good....cheers.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:24pm On Dec 22, 2005
Kazey, Please clarify between facts and your Opinion. The fact is most Nigerians would leave their country rather than try to make things work . Another fact is that only 10% of Americans have a US Passport. Now how can you say that Nigeria is a fun place to live and make ends meet, and you are telling us that convincingly from Malaysia. The country you are in right now, 15yrs had a worse Per capita income than Naija and now the reverse is true. Naija is a death trap and i have lived on Both sides of the Atlantic. I came back from Naija only about 2weeks ago and wanted to cry for my country and fellow Naija men. Unemployment @ 50% or more. PHD Holders that have graduated for at least 12 yrs cannot find work. Corruption is as rampant as Pure water, and of-course Nigeria's third rail "Armed Robbery" is on the up swing again. Please read the national Dailies, we cannot even fly a sound airline that has a well maintained fleet.

Now compare it to Yankee or better still the State of Texas. Light guaranteed, Health services a phone call away, Unemployment 5%, no state income tax, Governor takes home a salary and does not need to steal from state coffers. Accountability of the Police force, U live without having a fence like a fortress, freedom of speech,freedom to assemble, basic human rights defended and on and on and on!!!!!!

Yankee is God's on Country
Land of the Free,
Home of the Brave,
Live Free or Die,
If you can dream it,u can make it Happen.
God Bless America, Barnone the best place in the world to Live. That is why there are people from every tribe,race, color and creed come here. If you can get out of Naija please do so. Young men are just forsaken in that decaying country of ours.

SEMPER FI
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:28pm On Dec 22, 2005
Paddy O: Spoken like a true Patroit.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:34pm On Dec 22, 2005
Mosiate more like 95% will ditch their lives and bounce out of Nigeria for Yankee. From Okada man to the guy selling recharge card on the streets, including the Aje butter in V/I. I am telling you that place has nothing to offer. The only country where salaries are paid directly from Natural resources. Forget Yankee i think 60% will leave for South Africa. And maybe even 40% would rather be in Ghana.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:44pm On Dec 22, 2005
Joftech

I am sorry to bust your bubble, but i do not think Naija will make it as one Nation @ 60yrs old. Either the masses revolt or the will be a Biafra Nation. Life expectancy is @ 43yrs and falling, Police force is 94% corrupt, Nigerian Lectures make $210 a month on Average. Now all that is a recipe for disater my dear friend......If you are looking for a Good life in Naija, u must have great connections or a Last name that has a ring to it. Trust me It is a crazy place and even with a lot of money on hand i could not see beyond the artificial road blocks that is the infrastructure called the Government.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 12:01am On Dec 23, 2005
Joftech

There are about 3million Millionaires in the US, please forget racism there is more Xenophobia between the 220+ Tribes than racism here. There are more telephone lines in New York city population 9million than in the whole sub saharan Africa. Life expectancy is @ 75 and growing in this country. I am not sure why you would equate theives like Dangote that have ripped off Naija's wealth thanks to Abacha, and a country with a population of 300million and a workforce of nearly 160million and has an unemployment rate of less than 5%.Haba!Listen my friend the Nigerian government is reponsible for the welfare of it's citizenry, with Oil resrves to the tune of 40billion barrels and Natural Gas reserves up the wazu, you would think that some basic human needs i.e water, light and shelter will be atleast affordable. Listen in Ghana today they give you a weeks notice b4 taking power and you are wondering why Nigerian men are leaving. If i had the choice and i was holed up in Naija, it is a no brainer.........Look for a place where you can expand your mind and get the hell out that death trap.

(A sad Nigerian in an adopted country)
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 1:52am On Dec 23, 2005
oftech

There are about 3million Millionaires in the US, please forget racism there is more Xenophobia between the 220+ Tribes than racism here. There are more telephone lines in New York city population 9million than in the whole sub saharan Africa. Life expectancy is @ 75 and growing in this country. I am not sure why you would equate theives like Dangote that have ripped off Nigeria's wealth thanks to Abacha, and a country with a population of 300million and a workforce of nearly 160million and has an unemployment rate of less than 5%.Haba!Listen my friend the Nigerian government is reponsible for the welfare of it's citizenry, with Oil resrves to the tune of 40billion barrels and Natural Gas reserves up the wazu, you would think that some basic human needs i.e water, light and shelter will be atleast affordable. Listen in Ghana today they give you a weeks notice before taking power and you are wondering why Nigerian men are leaving. If i had the choice and i was holed up in Nigeria, it is a no brainer.........Look for a place where you can expand your mind and get the hell out that death trap.

(A sad Nigerian in an adopted country)

Thanks for seeing the bad side of Nigeria, but i hope you are able to see the good side of Nigeria too. Am not saying Nigeria is the heaven on earth and USA is not either.

If you can endeavor to read about the history of the US you will at least be able to see that US @ 45 years old was not as developed as Nigeria @ 45.

Some former US administration (Grant) were as corrupt as we have right now in Nigeria. If we all abscond to the US in order to escape the realities here it shows that we are all cowards.

Know one thing, America did not become America in a day, so Nigeria can't become Nigeria in a day. In 60 years Nigeria will still remain Nigeria take that from me. Why has Texas not broken away from the USA after all the agitation for a separate republic since the first break away?

Life is hard but good in Nigeria.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by sage(m): 3:37am On Dec 23, 2005
Guyz the fundamental problem Nigeria has, and one which confuses people is the mentality that we are only 45 years. Beign 45yrs is not the issue. Take a look at economic development in nigeria in those 45yrs and compare it to other countries in which the British union jack was lowered at about the same time esp the asian countries. When the british left malaysia and then Nigeria, their per capita incomes was about the same, almost exactly the same. If u check economic development of these 2 countries, 1970's would show u nigeria was way ahead . By 2000, nigeria had slided into mediocraty but these asian economies had turned to tigers. IF U LOOK AT THE ECONOMY OF SINGAPORE AND MALAYSIA, U WILL SEE THAT THERE HAS BEEN A STEADY ECONOMIC GROWTH SINCE THEIR INDEPENDENCE AND NOT A DOWNWARD FREE FALL BEIGN EXCUSED BY BEIGN 45YRS. MALAYSIA HAS ONLY BEEN INDEPENDENT FROM BRITAIN FOR ABOUT 47 OR 48 years YET THEY ARE AN INDUSTRALIZED ECONOMY NOW. SINGAPORE IS IN THE SAME LEVEL WITH JAPAN,  USA, GERMANY etc infact, people from Singapore DONT NEED VISA'S to come to the U.S. Y because. the U.S goverment knows they would not want to stay. People from Malaysia do not migrate to western countries simply because their countries economy is very good. They come to the west as TOURISTS

We should ask ourselves these questions

These same countries that are about the same age as Nigeria have recorded steady and unbelievable economic growth over the last 35yrs, y is Nigeria's a case of economic free fall?

Were these same nations not colonized by the british?(in case we want to blame colonalization)
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by sage(m): 4:02am On Dec 23, 2005
Personally, i dont blame anybody that wants to exit Naija. it is a personal choice and its up to individuals.

In the west, there is no malnutrition, and ther is basic infastructure and law and order, sooooooo..... Its hard making a transition in anything. but with time it gets better.

Bottom line is u can make ur money where u feel u want to, be it naija or anywhere. In my own case, i spent the last 10 yrs of my stay in naija dreaming of my exit day, so i guess it boils down to individuals.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 6:24am On Dec 23, 2005
Joftech

What are the good sides of Nigeria and comparer it to its peers. I am all Ears my Broda.Ur point about The US @ 45 has no basis because there is more accountability all over the world now and the US figured out how to live by a constitution which has guided them well for over 200 yrs. Please compare Nigeria to countries that are 45yrs or more and tell me what you see that is good about Nigeria and please use per capita income and GDP's as yard sticks.I will wait for a response!!!!!!

Naija a country in Decay!
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by goodguy(m): 11:44am On Dec 23, 2005
joftech:

If you can endeavor to read about the history of the US you will at least be able to see that US @ 45 years old was not as developed as Nigeria @ 45.
Actually, I feel the reason for this is because the US never really had any countries to look up to then. Nigeria, today, has so many countries they can emulate, yet, we're still so retarded. May God help us.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 12:21pm On Dec 23, 2005
When people fail to see beyond their nose they will forever be bound into the conclusion that there's no better tomorrow.

Our GDP is on the same level with the level of our economy, things are also affordable with the little people are earning here. I don't think you can compare the amount people earn in NY to what's obtainable in UT.

As long as am concerned Nigeria will once day become great, it's not necessarily during our own time. I wonder what those negroes that were lynched in the US south would be thinking in their graves when they see blacks coming on NBC and MTV to entertain Americans.

A question for you all; Did Martin Luther Kind Jr. realise is his dream during his lifetime?

Most of you are only eating done soups overthere.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Experience At The US Embassy Yesterday 23/04/2018 / Lagos To Divert Traffic At Stadium For Today's World Cup Qualifying Match / Any Nigerian In Bulgaria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.