Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US (10237 Views)

Nigeria Planning Airline On $2 Billion Aviation Expansio / I'm Planning To Travel To Malaysia For Studies, Please I Need Your Opinion / 10 Days In Nigeria And I Am Planning To Relocate To Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 2:19pm On Dec 23, 2005
Joftech

I am still waiting for the Good things Nigeria has to offer. Infact in Utah you do not earn as much, but in Utah a town house cost about $150k and in parts of NY that town house can be as much as $4Million. So in NY you earn more and pay more, and in Utah the reverse is true. Come on Dog..All the world is watching and rate Nigeria as the Third must corrupt country in the world. Expect more from your country and stop making excuses for them.

Nigeria a Death Trap
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by omon(m): 3:23pm On Dec 23, 2005
@kokcity, you seem to forget that only 50 years ago, life was hard for the average black man in USA? I believe the blacks in America in that time would have preferred to live outside the US. Like a fellow said earlier, you are eating done soup in over there and you are making so much noise. It was a different story in the US only 50 years ago..I am talking about the 1950s and 1960s...So don't rule out the possibility of Nigeria coming off the woods in 10 years.

Ghana and South Africa started changing as soon as democratic govts came into place. This is our time to change things and I believe we would.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 6:11pm On Dec 23, 2005
@ Omon

I am not sure where you r getting you facts from in the 50"s and 60"s, Africans American stood and fought for "their country". It was called the CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT. There was also the civil war in the US because Americans knew there was something worth fighting for. But the Average Naija man cannot see what to fight for, other than his immediate family or someone that speaks his dialect. Trust me bro the soup is not done here...... You have to believe in something for you to be willing to die for it. A lot of us do not believe in Naija and that is why leaving seems to be a better option. Omon i would never have gotten the options to expand my view of life in that distressing country. I Love my country but being a minority and seeing what i recently saw i am very pessimistic that things will ever get better except we have a revolution or Civil war. Countries like Venezuela, Bolivia, Bosnia, East European Block ETC Have done that a have gotten better results. I want to be optimistic like you but i just returned and things were worse than when i last went only six months prior to my last visit. Roads, Light, water, health services ETC have all crumbled......When last did u go?

Kokscity is willing to die for the US.
SEMPER FI
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by omon(m): 6:23pm On Dec 23, 2005
During the great depression in America, it was almost unlivable..but the people stood by their country and turned it around. Why have you given up hope so easily? The great depression in America lasted for years but the Americans persevered. Now when Nigerians talk of marginalisation, I laugh because there is no state that is favoured.. If you know of any, let me know.

My brother,, there is nothing like your own. We have seen it in Brazil,, Argetinia, etc where people stood by their country and are winning the war against poverty. If you are resourceful in America, plan to come backk home and do things that can put water, light, transportation iin better place.

Cheers and remain blessed. Remember, Nigeria must survive, Nigeria must rise.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 7:19pm On Dec 23, 2005
Omon

Like i said i just Came back from Naija and i am not sure why u telling me i am ignoring or giving up. Based on facts i saw on the ground, i tell you bro, it is not somewhere i would advice anyone to go and settle down without an option to leave. I went to invest and possibly relocate and i quickly realized that my country is Anti-small business. It is a dog eat dog world out there, and things are as bad as i have seen them. I lived thru IBB, Abacha, Diya, Shonekun, Shagari and it is still worse now with the so called democracy that we have adopted. I still want to know when last you visited Naija and make the case why i should go back home . I am willing to sell my home and liquidate all my assets, just make the case for Naija and remove all sentiments. You are a consultant for the FRN and i am an investor, make the case why i should come and invest my $'s in ur country.

Let Freedom reign
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by paddylo1(m): 8:56pm On Dec 23, 2005
I think the problem with Nigeria is quite complicated....we have not really participated in the industrial revolution...now we have the digital..and infotech revolution sweeping the world and we are still not a participant...the world today is all about knowledge...adapt or die...thats why there is outsourcing to India...Intel corp. is going to build a new plant in Israel...why not Nigeria?....Most Asian countries that are developed now leapfrogged over the long developmental process that took place in the west..so while it took the U.S..several hundred years to become developed..it took a country like singapore 2 generations...whats my point...we have to find our niche....and be part of the global economy....we could do more to attract outsourcing...Nigerians are smart and speak better english than Indians(i know cause i have indian classmates here..),why is there no western company setting up call centres in Nigeria?...Also i think we should get past oil....think...in a hundred yrs it may run out..before then an alternative may be developed by japan or any of the oil starved nations...then what next...how will we earn FOREX and defend our Naira...i dont blame anyone trying to travel as long as it expands your mind and makes u think big when u get here...things i've learnt here...i could never learn i Nigeria.....Also our Financial industry has to strengthen...there is a study in the Economist magazine,that links the use of credit cards to reduced corruption and increased economic growth....Kenya and south africa..are examples....but as usual our leaders are mostly clueless...if not plain dumb.....i love naija sha..but....if u are young..and in Naija..its frustrating........
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 9:34pm On Dec 23, 2005
Paddy_Lo

Once again you make very good points bro. Love Philly, Love South Street and of course the world famous Philly CheeseSteak. Nigeria is a real frustrating place and i went for fact finding and have been totally disappointed with the reforms i saw.Trust me i did not come with high expectations since i had been there only six month earlier. Any way i went to Accra on Vacation and you could see clearly that Naija was heading in a different direction and when Nigerians as much as we are travelled say things like we are giving up on Naija it sadens me.Foreign investment into the country has exceeded $80Billion in the last 20yrs and yet we cannot be guaranteed of Light. U know what F**K PHCN, F**K NNPC,F**k NPA,F**K FRSC They have all failed and Nigerians continue to fail themselves.F**K OBJ, IBB, MARWA, ATIKU, ODILI, KALU,ETC

Constructive Criticism is a Human and Moral Value.
Naija's please expect more of your country.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 9:45pm On Dec 23, 2005
I know that life here in Nigeria is very very hard but i have hope for a better future here. I used to have the mentality of running out of the country before until i discovered the beauty of this country (there's always opportunity in every situation).

As of today i can never abscond to any western country in order to avoid the realities around here, never. The black people in the US suffered before the Civil Rights Movememt, and still till today they don't have the full rights that whites overthere have.

When our people continue to suffer a time will surely come when they will get to the elastic limit of their suffering and hopefulness then the much expected revolution will come. The American civil war and Civil rights movement did not start in a day, it takes time for people to come out of their shells.

Today you may think the US is the paradigm of everything you ever wish for in a country but bro i tell you they did not get there on a day journey. And when you all compare us with Malaysia and Singapore you all failed to realise the fact that we all did not have the same cultural diversity so comparing all these countries with Nigeria is just a stupid comparison.

And if you all are able to even know the conspiracy agaisnst developing countries you will all never be talking like this.

Kokscity it seems you are lost in all the razzmatazz of the US. The US is not a bed of roses as you are portraying here.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 10:27pm On Dec 23, 2005
Joftech

The US is not a bed of Roses, but it is a better bed to sleep on. Let us not compare Nigeria to Singapore or Malaysia, how about you compare it to countries like SA, or dare i say Ghana, or how about we say Senegal. Now u are throwing a white flag by playing the "Conspiracy Card". That is a defeatist attitude. Like i said i have done 2 decades in Nigeria and a bunch of years in the US and trust me Razzmatazz is not how i feel. I clearly love this country and Thank it for the opportunity i was given and as a clear thinking Adult who landed here a few yrs ago with $200 and a dream, i must say i am thankful. Dude never knock it until u have tried it....... Naija is cool and all from a sentimental Point of view, but in terms of offering the Youth a chance? Please

Bob Marley rightfully said we need to fight for our rights.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 10:45pm On Dec 23, 2005
Am no raising any damn white flag on this issue. Let me tell you unless our leaders are ready to stop dancing to the whim and caprises of the western nations we will never progress as a nation, those western countries are ridding on the backs of developing countries using IMF and World bank as a cover.

China, Malaysia and all other countries have done that and they are reaping the benefits.

As for me there's hope in Nigeria. And am grateful that am not a second class citizen here.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:02pm On Dec 23, 2005
Joftech

Another Lousy method of raising a white flag. Dude i now know that u are a complete Loser. There is nothing like a second class citizen. Have u ever heard of something called " The Bill of Rights"? O'boy u don dey yarn Opata for here. Everyone Citizen or Not have basic rights that cannot be trampled. And in fact many of those so called second class citizens have better rights than you. Cheap shots would not take you far. Make better arguments and stop saying crap that you do not know. It is 2005 and you said that whites have more rights than Blacks on a public Forum like this. Well common sense is not common my broda. I do not blame you. U can sit in Ondo State and yarn all this Opata. No una way when una no fit make eloquent point you stoop shamelessly to name calling.Complete absolute nonsense talk....Second class citizens are House boys and girls in Naija, Gatemen, Gardeners,Drivers who all work hard and get paid nothing. Immigrants make the fabric of this Nation and was built on the back of Immigrants. Never make dumb statements except you have the facts to back it up. It was Italians, swiss.Germans,Austrian,Polish, English, in the 1920's and 30's. Today it is Africans, Asians,Mexicans,Elsavadorians,Guatemalans,Jamaicans,Haitians, Cubans and u are too slow to understand change.

Landscaper=$30-60k a year
Chauffeur=$50k+ a year
Security=$9-32 per hour or even more.

Kokscity= (A Foul Mouth waiting to Explode ask wesleyanA)
America a country of Immigrants!!!!!!!
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:05pm On Dec 23, 2005
Joftech

Trust me u are not a First class Citizen Either..........

A Humbles Man Opinion
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 11:26pm On Dec 23, 2005
Bro stop deluding yourself. I know what i mean by second class citizen OK.

What happened to those folks in New Orleans, are they not all in America, why did Kanye West lambast Mr. President on national TV over the whole issue.

I have family members that are born citizens of the US so i know what am talking about here. US is just like Nigeria, you have the rich, the OK and the homeless.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by ijebuman(m): 11:34pm On Dec 23, 2005
joftech:

US is just like Nigeria, you have the rich, the OK and the homeless.

So true, its an Advanced type of Nigeria
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:38pm On Dec 23, 2005
Dude

Stop making noise and go to bed. Those people in New Orleans were short changed by a bureaucrat named Mike Brown which was Fired. But i hope you know that Fema now has only 300people in shelter and offers them $250k for new homes and what not. It was a natural disaster for Christ sake. I am surprised at your ignorance. Yankee is not like Naija stop deceiving yourself. There is Good and Bad everywhere but i am not sure if you know the power a CAT 5 Hurricane has, it just happened to hit the N.O which has a majority black population. Listen people in Alabama and Mississippi were also short changed. Dude you are now equating a phrase from a Rapper and his own personal opinion to form an idea of how America is. Please ask Kanye west how much he is worth and if he has a college degree. Them ask him which country gave him the mantel to say those words against the president on National TV.

Dude i am giving up on you. I am not sure if your family that are American are in contact with you, U are drowning in info of the internet and second hand versions of things. Are u sure u are not a woman? Making a lot of sentimental arguments there for a man. Well if you are a man, i think you should lift up your skirt, grab your balls and start making some sense or at least better arguments.

North America 4 Life

For the most Part Yankee is Great..........
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 11:39pm On Dec 23, 2005
Last post was 4 Joftech
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 12:00am On Dec 24, 2005
Please ask Kanye west how much he is worth and if he has a college degree. Them ask him which country gave him the mantel to say those words against the president on National TV.

In a country that prided herself with unsurpassed freedom of speech why was his (Kanye West) comment edited when it was broadcasted to people on the west coast.

Folks like you are what we call "omo oju o rola ri". It's guys like you that after working off their ass on some graveyard shifts for months come back[i] flossing[/i] around. If not for the exchange rate most of you guys would have been begging to comeback home.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:05am On Dec 24, 2005
Joftech na good point you dey rise o, people dey work factory job...
Then they go back to naija and do shakara, everyone in Naija they think life dey easy abroad...

It is easy sha, but you have to God damn hard....
I hate that sets a bad persona on Naija really
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by ijebuman(m): 12:42am On Dec 24, 2005
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by sage(m): 2:16am On Dec 24, 2005
@ joftech

How many Nigerians are 1st class citizens? The only 1st class citizens are those who are stealing the country's money, and those who rig elections in other to stay in power forever( or try to amend the constitution).

YOU SAID COMPARING NIGERIA WITH ASIAN COUNTRIES IS A STUPID COMPARISON, BUT THE POINT IS THE PROBLEMS THAT HINDER OUR GROWTH WILL ALWAYZ BE THERE- TRIBALISM, ETHNICISM, OVERLY RELIGIOUS AND UNPARRALLED HYPOCRISY.

It took the asian contries about 30 years to come to the level of western countries. Progressive growth is the issue, not falling back from beign a semi rich country to one of the 20 poorest in the same 30 years and them blaming it on beign 45 years . NIGERIA IS IN A FREE FALL  and not growing economically as in the asian economies.

Bringing it back to africa, BOSTWANA IS A YOUNGER NATION THAN NIGERIA BUT IT FAR, FAR, WAY MORE DEVELOPED THAN NIGERIA. Y did they not push themselves into economic stagnation and then blame it on beign just 30yrs?

We all have a get rich quick mentality, and are overly tribalistic. These are part of what will remain an eternal problem in NIGERIA.

I alwayz witnessed the ethnic massacres in Aba and i realized Nigeria really had no future
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by omon(m): 3:04am On Dec 24, 2005
It was mentioned that there are several millionaires in America, you did not tell us how many are blacks or Nigerians. For the basis of comparison, can we assume that our democracy is just taking a foothold of our national life while the likes of Singapore, Malaysia have enjoyed stable govt for some decades? And what exactly does Ghana have that makes it better than Nigeria?
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 3:29am On Dec 24, 2005
Sage despite all the present up and downs, still am not a second [url=http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/booksmags/chi-0511260109nov27,1,6688123.story?coll=chi-leisurebooks-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true]class citizen[/url] here. Do you know it's possible for you to become the president of this country, the chances are there. But how about a country where people are not paid on the same scale simply because their color is different, of where you can't get the same level of medical attention with somebody whose color is different from yours.

We are going through our own turbulent time right now it shall and will pass. The US witnessed the same during the great depression of the 1920s. Am only waiting for our own version of the New Deal.

Since we have set the US as our paradigm of goodness, i will like you all to read some of the things they have gone through and presently experiencing here.

We are all lucky that we are not witnessing [url=http://www.lipmagazine.org/~timwise/framingthepoor.html]second class treatments [/url]in a country our forebears fought to unite.

If you have your money here in Nigeria today you can have whatever anybody here is/are entitled to, but in some part of the world that's not the case.

People massacre themselves because it seems there's no future. And people are so concerned about themselves because that seems to be the most obvious choice but wih time all these will change, the changes we are all expecting with democracy are dramatic but this is not be the reality. We have to go through our wilderness to get to the promise land.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 7:15am On Dec 24, 2005
at leasthe are atleast 5-7 Black Billionaires and they did not steal money to make money.Maybe about 100,000 Plus Black Millionaires. Income of 2-5Million Dollars or more.There are at least 2-3 African Billionaires that i know of I Ethiopian, I Nigerian, and a dude from Liberia.Omon look and ye shall find. Dude Millionaires are everywhere in Yankee. The is something called the Housing boom and there was the internet and IT revolution created a lot of Millionaires. If it were not for 9/11 you would have more like 6 Million Millionaires in this country.But dude more importantly today Unemployment is below 5%. Best in the developed/Industrial world.

Ijebuman you are a complete hater, 4 someone that has travelled so much and is as exposed like u claim you are, i see why Nigeria is the way it is. We always see things from a myopic point of view.

Joftech

U have jumped off the fringe.Even if i worked in a factory is beside the point, but let us start from that premise, the fact is that until you understand that a job is a job is a job, you can never progress in that death trap country. Listen my Broda you cannot sit down in the High hills of Ogun State and lecture me about my reality. I do not work in a factory and sometimes i wish i did. U know that some factory worker make as much as $75 and as little as $9 per Hr. Now that Factory i guarantee you is doing far better than you. His job has health benefits, Retirements plans,paid vacation,Health care for his Kids,Injury Insurance better known as worker's comp, opportunity to grow in the company or factory. And he most likely will belong to a union that guarantees him not getting fired without a good reason.

U have the nerve to sit in Nigeria and look down on a Factory worker in Yankee. Please my broda you ignorance is coming to a full moon. I am not sure if you understand that Arnold Schwarzenegger an Immigrant from Austria with a dream and i think $20 came and is now the Governor of the fifth Largest Economy in the world.
Dude you have first generation Mexicans controlling Fortune 500 and 100 companies and their parents cannot still speak English. Parents picked grapes to put their kids thru school and today they have kids with seven to eight figure salaries.

Come on bro you can never use hearsay and internet links to tell me about a place i have lived in for so long. Just like i cannot educate you about Ondo or Ogun Politics for instance. Listen i am going to tell you for the last time there is nothing like a second class citizen. The same law that put the Multi Millionaire Dennis Kowzlasky CEO of Tyco currently in Jail for 50yrs +, applies to the guy picking Oranges in Tallahassee FL. You have to get that part of your imagination clear. Everyone loves to hate Yankee, but the truth is that it took me a while to come to my conclusions. U are not going to compare Naija to even Maine. The GDP 49 out of 50 states in the Union trounce that of Naija.

Kokscity threw a one to Punch.
Sage please help me tell this people that truth is hard to hear, but it is usually backed up by facts.

Fact all the Governors in Nigeria are Corrupt
Fact all the minister are Corrupt except the lady in Finance maybe
Fact our President is a thief
Fact our Vice President is a Thief
Fact there is 60% Unemployment in Nigeria
Fact Factory workers in Naija can be compared to sweat shop workers in China
Fact we are no longer the Giant of Africa only the Paper Tiger of West Africa
Fact 98% of Nigerian Men ages 18-30 will rather leave than stay and suffer if given the chance.
Fact our Military is corrupt
Fact our Customs is as corrupt as the Mob in the 1980's
Fact our Police share thier rifles with armed robbers.
Fact Most of Nigeria does not have good roads, no light and many times no water.
Fact MTN, VMOBILE AND GLO all make you dial over and over to get thru on their network.
Fact there is no railway service in Naija
Fact Nigerian Local Airlines are like playing Russian Roulette ask Gani
Fact most of the country survives from Hand to Mouth without any assurance of tomorrow.
Fact if you go a Public or Private Nigerian Hospital you are asked to pay even if you are dying

Conclusion or Thesis: Nigeria is a dying Country
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 9:11am On Dec 24, 2005
Kokscity, i wonder what you were doing before leaving Nigeria (you must have had it raw). Maybe you are from Bayelsa. Your sorts are not uncommon to find on Eleke Crescent, one of your type was even in my office this morning.

Am sorry to say, it seems you never try any opportunity in Nigeria before leaving, sorry about that. Your slurs are just too nauseating, you have brainwashed yourself into writing off Nigeria, even some smart Americans will never do that.

We are just growing, so comparing us with the US is a misplacement of agravation of what went wrong during your last trip here. You are shouting no water no road, no this no that but am drinking, eating and in good health and millions canr enjoy all these things you are shouting about right here in Nigeria.

You know what i don't have anything against the US, it remain my favourite country on planet earth, i like the vision of the founding fathers and all that make her strong. But your sorts are the fellows that i hate to encounter in my daily life. When someone can rise up to condem his country of birth simply because he has been priviledge to leave and settle in another country shows how stupid and foolish some people can be.

Assuming you were born in the US during their declaration of independence you would have sided the Britsh and absconded to Canada or Europe. Your sort are the most disgrace a country can ever have as a citizen. All these stupid slurs of yours are nothing but a childish habit, when some kids lay their hands on honey they will hastily throw away the salt.

Mr. Americana i hope you will move all your mama, papa, broda, sista, and just about everything you must have had any link to here in Nigeria to your abode overthere.

Nobody is denying the fact that our leaders are corrupt, we know this your lecture on how corrupt our leaders are is not selling here. I know the history of the US if not better than you do and so you can't come here to tell me what it's not tenable.

When Nigeria finally arrive i pray that we will all be around to see the glory our my beloved Nigeria.

Borrowing from Joseph Sugarman's word "EACH PROBLEM HAS HIDDEN IN IT AN OPPORTUNITY SO POWERFUL THAT IT LITERALLY DWARFS THE PROBLEM", "The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by omon(m): 11:38am On Dec 24, 2005
Mr Kokscity, I think you have taken it too far. I will tell you a fact, the system in America is not designed for you. You can be thrown out any time. I have had friends here in the UK who have been fustrated out of the system...these are high degree professionals. They have gone back to Nigeria, things were pretty slow at first, they soon found their feet and are walking tall.

I am sure you pay all your bills in America. I am sure when you were in Nigeria, you had to cut corners to avoid paying bills and still wanted heaven and earth from the govt. It is the same people who have killed Nigeria at home that are still killing Nigeria in their new destinations...

You did not tell me how many blacks in America are billionaires, why does the ACLU have so many lawsuits in court? Why are blacks in America seen as low achievers? Why does Nigeria and Nigerians in America have a stinking reputation? Why do you feel less human to your next door neighbour? Why do you work round the clock to eck a living? Why as a professional do you work in a factory floor? These are the many questions and much more you ask in America.

Nigeria has its own questions, every country does. The ordinary black south african still ask questions so many yrs after apartheid...the list goes on.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by joftech(m): 12:04pm On Dec 24, 2005
Omon you talk well. One of the major problem with Nigeria is that 90% of people here don't pay their tax (am a tax protester).

If our people are paying tax we will have the gut to demand more from the government, but since we don't know how they get the money they are stealing we are less concerned about what happen to our national account.

For the past 4 months or so i have got a meter that i use in my office but i have never pay kobo 'officially' to NEPA/PHCN for the power supply from them (it's not my fault they did not bring any bill, a priviledge to all new meter owner, ther say) . Most of us are only blaming all these public utilities here, most of us are only getting the equivalent of what we are paying.

In the US people pay through their nose for all the things we take for granted here hence they get quality service from their utilities.

Untill all Nigerians are responsible for the national purse we may never get the quick fix we want.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 4:33pm On Dec 24, 2005
Billionairesead the post, you will see that i answered all these questions. I told you how many black Millionaires and Billionanires. Dude Nigerians have a bad reputation worldwide period not only in the US. The ACLU is here to protect the government from trampling on our civil Liberties. It is called Oversight. Where people like Mr Romero the ACLU Chairman fights for the rich and the poor in court, so that government is in check.
Blacks get their brand from Slavery and are continuously doing better. Even in the UK Jamo English people and other blacks are looked down upon by even Indians and those from South East Asia. My point is problems Exist everywhere and the topic ask why do Young Naija men want to leave, and i gave my points.

@ Joftech

I am not going to curse here or even get mad. But i must clarify some things. I have been here for a long time and i am not one of those that was dying for America b4 i came. I have gone back to Naija nearly Every year since i have been here, and sometimes even twice a year. This last time i was there for 7weeks. Just came back on the 8th of December. U are of the impression that i am suffering and do not know my rights or maybe just existing, Dude i have gone wrong this country and to many in Africa and i am not just one of those that just exist. I truly Live Life. My point is that every time i visited Naija i noticed that things were worse than the last time and more and more people are asking me to help them to leave the country. Thankfully i did not have to beg to come to the States, but when i came, all i had was little money and a dream and this Nation did it for me Dude! I will be in Naija maybe in about 2months again and even with Democracy and OBJ i am sure things will still be worse than when i left it in December. Dude i do not seat in Yankee and blow my trumpet, i have put my money where my mouth is and Naija has come up short each time. Dude i was not hungry when i lived in Nigeria, Infact by Naija standards i was wealthy, or at least my Family was but that is beside the point. The fact that i can work and pay my bills and travel home, do some fly chics,buy a car, have health insurance, have life insurance, and mutual fund and retirement account and Social security and be able to participate in the political process and know that if i do like a politician i can work to unseat him or her, those are the basic human freedoms that this country offers and my home country can never offer me. Listen we have the wealth in Oil alone to make Nigeria far better than SA. But we let Corrupt leaders and greed take over us.

Omon in terms of what Blacks in the UK are going thru compared to here, all i can say is Wow!
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Kokscity(m): 4:34pm On Dec 24, 2005
Kokscity Still Bleeding Red, White and Blue
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by omon(m): 5:40pm On Dec 24, 2005
From what i read in the media now, it does not seem all wow! for the blacks (minority) in the US.  I ihope you are not giving too much good impression of black life in the US, there is still the 4th generation slavery there.

Well, do you also know that the improvement in the economies of India, Brazil etc is mainly due to the contributions of their citizens in diaspora?  If Nigeria is to count on people like you in Yankee, then the country will bleed to death.  It seems when you ent to these countries you probably slept in some well of hotels and did not know all is not totally well in these countries.. There is visible hunger in India that the world does not sing about.. I think it all depends on which country the media favours. A foreign reporter who comes to cover a good story in Nigeria will always end it with one bad attribute, they feel it is never complete without that bit. However, that is not the same way stories are reported in other countries. Do you read of the crimes in south africa as you do of Nigeria?

As for Nigerians living the country, I will say one is that of ignorance. People think they will just walk into the US and be embraced with that plumb job...Nooo way! many have had to resort to illegality to survive. These are the Nigerians who give the country a bad name.  Is that the kind of dream land you want?

If you are still confused about what I mean, try and watch the latest episode of Nigerian International here..http://www.lagos-online.com/
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by ijebuman(m): 6:36pm On Dec 24, 2005
Kokscity:

Ijebuman you are a complete hater, 4 someone that has travelled so much and is as exposed like u claim you are, i see why Nigeria is the way it is. We always see things from a myopic point of view.

Na wah o, i post links to pictures of homeless people in LA to show to people that the grass is not always greener on the other side and all of a sudden i'm a hater

Did i ever say i hated the US?
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by sage(m): 6:58pm On Dec 24, 2005
well whatever we say, i still personally prefer life in the west to life in Nigeria.

People who say nigerians come and do factory work in the west, the question i want to ask them is what do many nigerian youths in nigeria do by the way? Drive okada, molue, pickpockets, sell recharge cards, sell pure water, do criminal runs, steal on highwayz, write exams 4 others, join labourer work de carry bag of rice 4 market, carry block and cement 4 building house, de offload container, sell fake products....................................the list is endless. Even the ones who think they have good jobs and drive company car and live in company house and earn 80k per month, some factory workers earn that in 3 days or less. A 20yr old can drive a car of his choice here that is purely his own and which he genuinely made the money. This is a near impossible feat for a nigerian 20yr old.

talking about social infastructure u cannot compare and its just not the U.S, its in most western countries. I lived in eastern nigeria, with no roads (even the fedral highways are deathtraps). The infastructural level and level of organization are worlds apart. Are u telling me that an okada rider in nigeriathat earns 500 per day would not prefer a factory job that he earns $120 per day? Even a guy that works a factory job can build his own house in Nigeria, something even the Nigerian Bankers can't

But like i said b/4 its all individual choice and its up to each and every body what he wants to do. You can make your money in Nigeria as well as elsewhere. Everybody in Nigeria is not poor, and no be all naijas de do factory work. Its just that there are MORE opportunities in the west. the world is urs to explore
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Z4M4eva(f): 7:25pm On Dec 24, 2005
Wat's so special about the U.S anyways? rolleyes tongue, why can't peeps come to the U.K? cheesy, just kidding smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Arik Air Management Addresses Fuel Scarcity Issue, Loses $9m / My Experience At The US Embassy Yesterday 23/04/2018 / Lagos To Divert Traffic At Stadium For Today's World Cup Qualifying Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.