Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,009 members, 7,838,531 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke (28537 Views)

Poll: Mourinho is

Over-rated: 36% (4 votes)
Simply good: 63% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Louis Van Gaal Still A Tactical Genius? / Genius Messi Breaks Another Record Set By Raul. / Cesc Fabregas - The Spanish Genius At The Heart Of Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by eyoniggar(m): 11:54pm On May 24, 2010
^^^^ This is all but hitting the nail on the head. Misuse of words at its highest order.

Maybe Donkey needs to edit the TITLE. undecided
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by A40(m): 2:47am On May 25, 2010
A man that has won two UCL's before his 48 birthday ain't a genius?? There are only three men who have won the UCL with two teams that where not a factor when he arrived. I am sure if he wins the WC back to back doubters would still remain. Its hard not to hate Mourinho though all he does is WIN
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Akolawole(m): 2:24pm On May 25, 2010
@Jalether, Eyoniggar and others

Thats exactly why i keep on asking who a Genuise is? And up till now, no one has come with a definition.

~Sauron~:

1) He's yet to prove me wrong. . . . .but he's proven DK and Eastbay wrong.
It takes more than trophies to make a manager a genius.

2) E be like say you like me repeating myself.
For the 10000000000000000000000th time, Sir Alex Ferguson is a genius.

3) Football managers drop form sometimes.
12 months ago, Jose Mourinho's brain was asleep when his team got eliminated woefully by Ferguson.

1) OK, i respect your stand on JM. Dayo and Easternbay are Man enough, they are not "alagidi" omo ekiti buruku grin
So it takes more than having 9 distinctions in WAEC to make somebody brilliant! OK

2) What makes SAF genuis? You need to tell us.

3) So, because JM lost to United in last years cup make him drop form abi? You are smoking igbo. What kind of performance does your SAF displayed in the final of champions league last year? Probably the most on-sided game ever tongue
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 2:28pm On May 25, 2010
Akolawole:

1) OK, i respect your stand on JM. Dayo and Easternbay are Man enough, they are not "alagidi" omo ekiti buruku grin
So it takes more than having 9 distinctions in WAEC to make somebody brilliant! OK

We all have different standards in assessing football managers.
Apparently, mine seems to be higher than theirs. It takes more than winning trophies on short-terms to become a genius.

2) What makes SAF genuis? You need to tell us.

SAF's records speak for itself. . . . .I don't even need to start wasting bandwidth.
Even Jose himself will tell you he's a trainee under SAF and reh reh reh.
I can pull out Jose's eulogies on SAF in the last 12 months - He has utmost respect for SAF.

3) So, because JM lost to United in last years cup make him drop form abi? You are smoking igbo. What kind of performance does your SAF displayed in the final of champions league last year? Probably the most on-sided game ever tongue

Jose was abysmal in last season's Champions League.
One of the reasons Dayokanu created this thread in the first place. . . .Now he's has won it and i admitted he's getting there but i still won't put him in Ferguson's echelon. Mourinho needs to improve other areas of becoming a complete football manager.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Akolawole(m): 2:47pm On May 26, 2010
[qreuote author=~Sauron~ link=topic=357031.msg6091579#msg6091579 date=1274794120]

1) SAF's records speak for itself. . . . .I don't even need to start wasting bandwidth.
Even Jose himself will tell you he's a trainee under SAF and reh reh reh.

2) He has utmost respect for SAF.

3) Jose was abysmal in last season's Champions League.
One of the reasons Dayokanu created this thread in the first place. . . .Now he's has won it and i admitted he's getting there but i still won't put him in Ferguson's echelon.

4)  Mourinho needs to improve other areas of becoming a complete football manager.
[quote][/quote]

1) If winning trophies does NOT make a genius, what does?
2) Of course, he respect Elders except Mr Wenger grin
3) Not at all. What Dayo did was that he took part of last year's tourney combined with the group stages of this year to create the "yeye" thread
4) What makes a complete manager? Is it ability to stay-put in a club for fear of failure? tongue

# If JM had won so much and all in less than 10 years, i think we need to ask Ibime(yes Ibime !) to help us analyse this mathematically. We dont need Mr Stroud to do that. Over to you Mr Ibime wink
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by RuuDie(m): 2:55pm On May 26, 2010
I would start to consider JM a genius if he can take this same Inter side to this far again next season - maybe not necessarily win the UCL again but make the semis. . . .

The way i see it, JM is just a coward scared of failure. . . . chances are, he goes to a new club next season & if by some stroke of luck he doesn't perform to expectations, he can always hide behind the cover of it being his 1st season in a new club.

I say. . . . do it & do it consistently with 1 club!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by eyoniggar(m): 5:11pm On May 26, 2010
RuuDie:

I would start to consider JM a genius if he can take this same Inter side to this far again next season - maybe not necessarily win the UCL again but make the semis. . . .

The way i see it, JM is just a coward scared of failure. . . . chances are, he goes to a new club next season & if by some stroke of luck he doesn't perform to expectations, he can always hide behind the cover of it being his 1st season in a new club.

With the current madrid squad, he should be able to win at least the
copa de rey.

Although if he wins the liga, I'll personally classify him as a genius, even above SAF!!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by hustler(m): 7:15pm On May 26, 2010
RuuDie:

I dont agree with u Ruudie. Why with one club consistently which is way easier to do when you can keep taking challenges in other clubs and proving your mettle in different competitions , and with different personnel and culture.

The reason i will never consider SAF as being the best is due to this fact. Fine he did great at Aberdeen donkey years ago (when Shooting Stars could have even won the European Cup if they participated lol) he has been far too relaxed at United and not eager to take up challenges elsewhere.

Yes different cycles have come and gone but it has still been the same old club, same roots.

Take coaches like Capello,Hitzfield, Magath,Mourinho and you will see the magnitude of what they have achived by moving from club to club to take up challenges and achieving success and in some cases instantly.

Jose won the league and stuttered in the UCL in the first season. But second season he did the right thing and signed a complete Trequartista in Wesley Sniejder and the rest is history. Everyone knows without Sneijder, they wouldnt have won most of their knockout games. After a treble for Christ's sake what else is there to prove. Also consider that this is not his first set of trophies like Pep. If he wins @ Madrid, he becomes a coaching legend instantly. Isnt that worth chasing?

If it were with one club alone, the likes of Paul Leguen, Manuel Jose, Guus Hiddink, Van Gaal, would be right up there staking their claim as the best. Dont you think? .
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 8:17pm On May 26, 2010
Akolawole:

1) If winning trophies does NOT make a genius, what does?

SAF is a genius not because of his success alone. . . . .
His longevity and his ability to nurture young players and turn em into world class players are also indices of a genius football manager.

2) Of course, he respect Elders except Mr Wenger grin

Unfortunately, he does not RESPECT himself.

3) Not at all. What Dayo did was that he took part of last year's tourney combined with the group stages of this year to create the "yeye" thread

So in your own eyes, Jose Mourinho was successful in 2009/10 season?

4) What makes a complete manager? Is it ability to stay-put in a club for fear of failure? tongue

I dunno how majority of Nigerians reason these days.
It is more difficult for a manager to stay in a club and achieve success than jumping from one rich club to another to search for success.
Mourinho couldn't have won 2 UCL titles in Porto if he had stayed all this while.
Arsene Wenger woulda won in Europe if he had the opportunity to manage Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan between 2003 and 2010.

# If JM had won so much and all in less than 10 years, i think we need to ask Ibime(yes Ibime !) to help us analyse this mathematically. We dont need Mr Sroud to do that. Over to you Mr Ibime wink

He had won so much in 10 years because he had managed rich clubs within that period of 10 years.
Whilst SAF had to deal with the debt and tight spending created by the Glazers, Mourinho was prostituting himself to clubs that can spend in Europe.

He's off to Madrid now and he might likely win La Liga next season.
When he does, Jose's cocksuckers will start creaming themselves again conveniently forgetting Madrid finished 2nd this season scoring 102 goals and notching a whooping 96 points. They will never admit Real Madrid are currently work-in-progress who are bound to reap the benefits next season with or without Mourinho.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by A40(m): 9:20pm On May 26, 2010
J.O.S.E = Jealous Ones Still Envy

@Ruudie
If 3 European titles in less than a decade of management doesn't convince you of his genius trust me nothing will! I know most EPL fans are used to local champions like Faggotson & Wenger who spend half a century at clubs but the truth is not everyone is content with sitting in their comfort zone. There are adventurous managers who seek fresh challenges and succeed anywhere they go and that is why Faggotson and Wenger are some of the most overrated managers in world football! Neither of them would last outside England unlike Mourinho who has proven himself in three countries now make that four cos he would deliver at Madrid but then y'all can't be pleased! He could win the league in every country in the European Union and doubters and haters would still remain but like i said before its hard not to hate Mourinho all he does is WIN
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Akolawole(m): 1:43am On May 27, 2010
A-40:

J.O.S.E = Jealous Ones Still Envy

@Ruudie
# If 3 European titles in less than a decade of management doesn't convince you of his genius trust me nothing will!

# I know most EPL fans are used to local champions like Faggotson & Wenger who spend half a century at clubs but the truth is not everyone is content with sitting in their comfort zone.

#There are adventurous managers who seek fresh challenges and succeed anywhere they go and that is why Faggotson and Wenger are some of the most overrated managers in world football!

# Neither of them would last outside England unlike Mourinho who has proven himself in three countries now make that four cos he would deliver at Madrid but then y'all can't be pleased! He could win the league in every country in the European Union and doubters and haters would still remain but like i said before its hard not to hate Mourinho all he does is WIN

This is called "GBOSA"
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Akolawole(m): 2:07am On May 27, 2010
~Sauron~:

1) So in your own eyes, Jose Mourinho was successful in 2009/10 season?

2) It is more difficult for a manager to stay in a club and achieve success than jumping from one rich club to another to search for success.

3) Mourinho couldn't have won 2 UCL titles in Porto if he had stayed all this while.

4) Arsene Wenger woulda won in Europe if he had the opportunity to manage Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan between 2003 and 2010.

5) He's off to Madrid now and he might likely win La Liga next season.
When he does, Jose's cocksuckers will start creaming themselves again conveniently forgetting Madrid finished 2nd this season scoring 102 goals and notching a whooping 96 points. They will never admit Real Madrid are currently work-in-progress who are bound to reap the benefits next season with or without Mourinho.

1) In the eyes of a sensible man, he is successful grin grin grin grin

2) "Fear of Failure" enable them to "kuku" siddon look for the same place.

3) Remember, he won the UEFA cup in 2003 then followed it up with champions league in 2004, Two years of success man!

4) Tell story to Tortoise. Who go buy that ?

5) "Work in progress" Nonsense! This is a team who has lost it. Big earners No deliveries. What is their achievements in champions league in the last 8 years? It has gone so bad that even Arsenal is knocking them out. I can guarantee you within 2 years JM will win it for them after which United will beg him to revive your team tongue

## To be successful in life, appreciate success in others.

Your state in Naija is known to be a PHD( pull him down) tongue Isnt it?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 2:22am On May 27, 2010
Akolawole:

1) In the eyes of a sensible man, he is successful grin grin grin grin

That was a syntax error on ma part.
I meant 2008/9 - The season Ferguson outclassed Jose's team HOME/AWAY

2) "Fear of Failure" enable them to "kuku" siddon look for the same place.

Fear of failure ke? Why would SAF(British) leave the best club in the world that happens to be in UK to go and start begging jobs in Europe?
Do you leave a land flowing with milk and money and start migrating like suffer-heads like Jose Mourinho?
I don't think Jose will be gallivanting about if he's British - Portugese folks are like Nigerians - they seek for greener pastures.

3) Remember, he won the UEFA cup in 2003 then followed it up with champions league in 2004, Two years of success man!

By cheating and deploying all manner of gamesmanship.

4) Tell story to Tortoise. Who go buy that ?

So you also think staying in one club is much easier than jumping into rich clubs every 3 seasons?
Come on. . . . .now Jose has left Inter Milan to go into another club with infinite resources and a large pool of talents.
He doesn't have to nurture youth players like SAF and Wenger - The job has been done already by the ex-managers of Madrid.

Mourinho would get in, buy 3-5 tough defenders and then win titles with Madrid.
Meanwhile, Madrid itself are couple of seasons away from achieving that anyways. They finished 2nd behind a very good side(Barcelon) scoring 102 league goals in the league and winning the same number of matches Barcelona copped. At this stage, Roy Hodgson will win La Liga for Madrid next season.

5) "Work in progress" Nonsense! This is a team who has lost it. Big earners No deliveries. What is their achievements in champions league in the last 8 years? It has gone so bad that even Arsenal is knocking them out. I can guarantee you within 2 years JM will win it for them after which United will beg him to revive your team tongue

They won La Liga in 2006/7 and 2007/8.
What has been Jose's achievements in Europe between 2005 and 2009 despite sitting on half-a billion pounds worth of talents?

United will beg Jose to revive which team? Na only Chelsea and Inter Milan(Clubs without HISTORY) fit dey beg Jose.
What else can Jose do at United that SAF hasn't already done? 3 titles in a row? TREBLE? Winning UCL titles UNBEATEN or what else?
In Man Utd, Jose won't be worshiped cos his predecessor is GREATER.

## To be successful in life, appreciate success in others.
Your state in Naija is known to be a PHD( pull him down) tongue Isnt it?

Pull who down? I have admitted times without number Jose is a brilliant manager - i only get antsy when you kids of nowadays compare him to SAF.
That comparison should never be made - There's a universe of difference between the two managers.
Comparing Jose to SAF is like comparing Primate Olabayo to Nostradamus!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by chic2pimp(m): 1:39pm On May 28, 2010
Inter milan a club without history, I laff in materazzi grin

18 serie a titles and 3 champions league titles begs to differ.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2010
Definitions of Genius:

1. someone who has exceptional intellectual ability and originality
2. brilliance: unusual mental ability
3. someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field
4. exceptional creative ability

Is there any of the above that Mou doesn't fit in? In fact these definitions are the most appropriate description of Jose Mourinho.

Many Many Goat crants in here. Goat na stubborn creature sha! Make una show una characteristics.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by deebsman1(m): 12:14am On Jun 05, 2010
Good Jose M, GREAT SAF
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 8:50am On Jun 08, 2010
Alberto Zaccheroni: "Jose Mourinho Is Worth Little Tactically"
The Italian is not impressed with the Special One's antics,

By Luis Mira, Goal.com
Jun 5, 2010 8:31:00 PM

Former Milan and Inter boss Alberto Zaccheroni has criticized new Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho's tactical knowledge.

The self-proclaimed Special One has moved to the Santiago Bernabeu after a dream season at Inter in which he added the Champions League title to the Serie A and Italian Cup trophies.

But Zaccheroni, who coached Juventus during the second half of the season, believes Inter would have done the same with a different man in charge.

"Mourinho chose to leave because he realised Inter would have triumphed even without him," Zaccheroni told Il Giornale.

"He is one that always needs an enemy, then he offends and that is something I do not like.

"Anyway, I think he will do fine in Madrid. No one knows how to motivate a player like him."

Despite the former Chelsea coach being highly regarded by his tactical knowledge, Zaccheroni believes Mourinho brings little to the game in that department.

"Massimo Moratti's dream coach has always been Fabio Capello. But he had Mourinho and now Benitez.

"Tactically, Jose Mourinho is worth little. I asked some coaches to study him in Riscone, during the pre-season, and they would call me every night saying they wanted to leave because they had little to learn there," he added.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by medjai(m): 10:35am On Jun 08, 2010
Genius or fluke? none. Pragmatist
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 7:02pm On Jun 08, 2010
Tactically, Jose Mourinho is worth little

In 10 years Mourinho won 17 titles including 2 Champion's league and what has Zaccheroni achieved in all of his 27 years of coaching: a Scudetto in 1999 with Milan.

If Jose has little tactically, then Zaccheroni is a slowpoke tactically.

By the way, AjanleKoko you are a GoatCrant for posting this.

GoatCrant make you take your number. Oya halla "mBeeeeeee"

GoatCrant #5 AjanleKoko

Despite the former Chelsea coach being highly regarded by his tactical knowledge
, but GoatCrants are so blinded

No one knows how to motivate a player like him
Even this GoatCrant knows that Jose is a genius in player motivation.
Sauron, learn from your senior GoatCrant.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 7:20pm On Jun 08, 2010
Wahala90:

Even this GoatCrant knows that Jose is a genius in player motivation.
Sauron, learn from your senior GoatCrant.

More on Jose Mourinho's FLAWS. . . . .

OK, first, let's dispense with the records. He won two league titles and a domestic cup at Porto. Great.
Fact is, when you manage Porto, you have a pretty good chance of winning the title. Porto won 14 of the last 20 Portuguese championships.
Kerry Katona could manage Porto and she would probably win the title.

Jesualdo Ferreira, the most recent Porto boss to win the title and a man Mourinho once compared to a donkey, won three straight. So what?
By the way, Porto were found guilty of attempting to bribe match officials during the 2003-04 season - when Mourinho won his second Portuguese title - and later docked six points.

Admittedly, he did win the Uefa Cup and the Champions League while at Porto. But look closer.
He had a ridiculously easy run to the Uefa Cup, facing just two sides from Europe's top five leagues - Lens and Lazio - before cutting it very close against Martin O'Neill's Celtic in the final. He clearly got the rub of the green the following year in the Champions League too, especially against Manchester United (Tim Howard spilling the ball, Paul Scholes unfairly flagged offside). And he had the luxury of playing Monaco in the final.

You want to talk Chelsea? Well, no club in history spent as much money as they did between 2003, just before his arrival, and 2006.
And it's not as if he took over a team of numpties. Under Claudio Ranieri - the man he loves to mock - Chelsea had finished second the year before while reaching the semi-finals of the Champions' League (which, incidentally, is as far as Mourinho has ever taken the club).
Yes, he also won an FA Cup and a couple of League Cups.

That's what having one of the most expensive teams ever assembled will do. How about the fact that in three years at Stamford Bridge he never once managed to get them to the final of the Champions League? And if Mourinho tells you - as he did last weekend - that the Premier League competition was far tougher back then, don't be fooled.
Mikael Silvestre and Kieran Richardson were getting plenty of playing time for Manchester United in 2005-06. Liverpool finished level on points with Bolton in 2004-05. And Arsenal failed to make the quarter-finals of the Champions League in two of Mourinho's three full seasons at Chelsea.

What about Inter? Didn't he turn them into a dominant force, both in Italy and in Europe? Yeah, right. Inter had won three straight Serie A titles when he arrived, no change in serivce there. Except, perhaps, for the fact that in their final year BEFORE Mourinho they gained more points than they did in their first two seasons AFTER Mourinho. What's that you say? Mourinho was signed to bring European success?

Ok, let's look at his record in the Champions League with Inter. Played 20, won nine, drew five, lost six. Among those were some of the most turgid perfromances in recent memory including a 3-3 draw with something called Anorthosis and home defeats to Manchester United and Panathinaikos. The most frustrating thing is not so much that he has simply played dull, defensive football, it's that he passes it off for something brilliant. His game plan in his latter years at Chelsea consisted of hoofing it long to Didier Drogba and defending in numbers.

In his first season at Inter it was all about defending in numbers, giving the ball to Zlatan Ibrahimovic and waiting for him to do something.
Only this year are we starting to see something rational. But it took lots of trial and error to get there. Because, you see, tactically he's really only in his comfort zone when he employs the usual defend-and-counter attritition strategy. Deviate from that and he's lost.

He played four different formations at Inter and, except for the most recent ones, all of them produced horrid football
Sure, it was effective, but that was largely due to the appalling state of Italy's other so-called big clubs, above all Milan and Juventus.
The fact that Roma, a side whose best player missed a quarter of the season and which has been run on a shoestring for the past three years came within 45 minutes of becoming champions tells you all you need to know.

Put him up against a manager with some tactical nous and players who can execute (even bad players) and he struggles, as evidenced by Inter's performances against Catania away (a 1-3 defeat), Siena at home (two goals in the final two minutes to salvage a win) and Bari away (two late goals, including a dubious penalty).

Sure, he'll tell you that referees are out to get him, that nobody in Italy likes him.
His acolytes will point out that the owner of a rival club, Silvio Berlusconi, also happens to be prime minister and owns three TV networks.
The latter is true, but if Berlusconi were using his considerable powers to help his club, AC Milan, he's doing a rotten job, given that they have won one league title in the past decade.

What's more, there are about a dozen TV networks he does not own, nor does he own any of the three daily sports newspapers or the three biggest selling dailies in the land. And, in fact, despite his constant whingeing, Inter comfortably came out ahead this season in terms of refereeing mistakes.

He makes it seem as if he's some kind of transfer guru because Inter have six new signings in their starting XI. Fine. But Lucio was very much a club signing (Mourinho wanted Ricardo Carvalho, as it turns out, it's a good thing he did not get his way), Motta was an add-on in the Diego MIlito deal, Goran Pandev is a former Inter player whom the club had been trying to bring back for ages, Samuel Eto'o was a makeweight in the Ibrahimovic sale.

What he doesn't tell you is that he also spent big on Mancini and Ricardo Quaresma, both of whom were absolute duds at Inter.
Much like Mateja Kezman, Claudio Pizarro and Khalid Boulahrouz at Chelsea.
But, of course, Mourinho's acolytes don't like to talk about those guys. Instead, they'll tell you that his evil interfering chairman, Roman Abramovich, "forced" him to take Andriy Shevchenko. Poor Mourinho. Rather than trying to make it work, he turned Shevchenko into a scapegoat.

Bottom line? He's a good manager, not a great one.
He managed the biggest spending club in Portugal and won, the biggest spending club in England and won, the biggest spending club in Italy and won. But he has been to the Champions League semi-finals four times in his entire career. (And, when he left Chelsea, Avram Grant took them to within a penalty kick of winning it all).
Nothing special about that!!!!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by slimshay(m): 7:48pm On Jun 08, 2010
Maybe 20 years from now, Emirates would have been named Lord Arsene Wenger Stadium, Old Trafford will have a huge statue of Sir Alex Ferguson you are required to kneel before for the complete Manchie experience.

Meanwhile. . . . .

Bloggers will still be online debating whether Mourinho is a genius or not after he has gone round the world twice helping the previous season's first or second placed team win the trophy the next year.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by medjai(m): 8:44pm On Jun 08, 2010
@ sauron
every coach has his own share of bad signings. Fergie signed Veron, Heinze, Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Alan Smith, Tim Howard, Zoran Tosic, Berbatov, Forlan; my God, the list is endless. Besides, Mark Hughes and Manuel Pelligrini have proven that having the fattest transfer budget does not guarantee success.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by A40(m): 12:01am On Jun 09, 2010
Zacca who?? I'd take Onigbinde more seriously, barber l'oba clipper nau. Zaccharoni to Mourinho is like Eguavoen to Lippi. When he wins two UCL's he should come and rub shoulders. Mou has proven his greatness beyond doubt even if he doesn't win an electron never mind a title
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 7:29pm On Jun 10, 2010
It was all about defending in numbers

Won the Scudetto back to back, losing no home match. Beat Chelsea home and away. Beat Barcelona 3-2 (agg), Beat Bayern 2-0, to win the UEFA Champions league. A team that defends in numbers and yet do all this (scoring goals) must be a master of their art and must be led by a tactical genius.

Goat na Goat even if e dey watch match!

STOP CRITICISING CREDIBLE WINNERS, IT EXPOSES YOUR STUPIDITY.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by raffite: 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2010
Wahala90:

Won the Scudetto back to back, losing no home match. Beat Chelsea home and away. Beat Barcelona 3-2 (agg), Beat Bayern 2-0, to win the UEFA Champions league. A team that defends in numbers and yet do all this (scoring goals) must be a master of their art and must be led by a tactical genius.

A very valid statement. Only a master tactician can commit so much resources to the defence and yet score goals the way they did against big clubs like Barca, Chelsea and Bayern.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by raffite: 6:33pm On Jun 12, 2010
"We have top players and, sorry if I'm arrogant, we have a top manager."  Jose Mourinho

"Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one." Jose Mourinho

Many consider Jose Mourinho as an Ultra-confident manager while others see him as an arrogant fellow.

Mourinho is regarded by many as one of the best coaches in Europe. He has won four consecutive league titles in two different leagues (two at Porto and two at Chelsea) and also the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Cup with Porto. For two consecutive years (2004 and 2005), Mourinho was named the world's best football coach by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).

He is considered the most adorable personality in the football world with an enigmatic aura. His picture alone is enough for a magazine to make sales. In any league he finds himself, he automatically becomes the center of attraction: relegating others to second class entities. Probably, that is why many dislike him.

According to Benni McCarthy, "He (Mourinho) is an expert in developing a player’s confidence.” This is probably one of his greatest asset to any team.

I use to look at Jose from the perspective of his controversial and provoking comments but from a different perspective I begin to see him as an enigmatic, special achiever.

Click Here to comment
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 7:08pm On Jun 24, 2010
He played four different formations at Inter and, except for the most recent ones, all of them produced horrid football

But kept winning. So what is your problem? This Sauron go mumu tey ooo!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 7:35pm On Jun 24, 2010
Just cos you're the best doesn't make one a genius.

He is the best and yet he can not be a genius but Fergie is, abi? GoatCrants na wa ooo!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 7:46pm On Jun 24, 2010
If you claim Jose spent alot. Lets see fergies case:

For the 1989-90 season, Alex Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister (a national record £2.3million signing from Middlesbrough). The season began well with a 4-1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.

Spending is not a guarantee to titles the way Jose got them. He is the finest football tactician around. Ask Fergie.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by bandely(m): 4:09pm On Oct 20, 2010
This thread still dey?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by ladej(m): 3:06am On Nov 30, 2010
no
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 3:26pm On Nov 30, 2010
Mourinho is a good coach. A great man-manager, but tactically not a great coach. He just knows how to instill strong work ethics and ambition in big teams, which is really good, and also provided he has money to bring in the type of players he likes. I also think he's an excellent opposition scout; he knows how to seek out, identify, and exploit his opponents' weaknesses.

Tactically I think he's nothing special.
His major failing is his attention-seeking nature, which tends to ultimately undo his good intentions.
Put him against a team with deep tradition, plus a generation of geniuses, and he flops.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Crystal Palace (2 - 2) On 18th October 2021 / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Manchester City (1 - 0) On 15th August 2021 / Messi Accused Of ‘Bullying And Insulting’ Team-mates To Point Of Tears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.