Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why (38781 Views)

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps / Do Lawyers In Nigeria Earn Much? / "How Can I Start A Wig And Hair Business?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Chudi99(m): 7:35am On Jan 18, 2017
the color of the wige should be changed to black Nigeria, in other to promote the black race.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Chudi99(m): 7:36am On Jan 18, 2017
the color of the wig should be changed to black Nigeria, in other to promote the black race.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by amodu(m): 7:40am On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:
Most People send their children to law school just because of the wing, no no the wing must stay o... grin grin grin

at the bolded, tell me you're joking
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by JennyOfOldstones(f): 7:40am On Jan 18, 2017
The wig is meant to emulate the powdered wigs which royalty and nobility in Europe wore in the 17th century. I still don't know why Nigerian lawyers are still hanging on to a colonial custom which is no longer in use in the country it was borrowed from.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by QuietHammer(m): 8:01am On Jan 18, 2017
makapella:
D wig represents white hairs which is a sign of wisdom
Not true. As stated un the op, the wig and gown traditional was gotten from the Brits who colonized us. Unlike us, the predominant hair colour of the brits is not black.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by lonelydora: 8:02am On Jan 18, 2017
makapella:
D wig represents white hairs which is a sign of wisdom

An uncle told me the first lawyer in the world has that kind of hair, so to remember him, the whites produced the wigs. I so believed this as a kid.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by jubrealguy(m): 8:16am On Jan 18, 2017
Suit is better
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by professore(m): 8:28am On Jan 18, 2017
I even think political scientists should start wearing a distinct uniform too,because that course is such a great course.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by thunderbabs: 8:41am On Jan 18, 2017
Must be the British style coz back here in America, our lawyers and Judges wear no shitty cream colored wig...

Lawyers approach in styled suit, Judges do okay with just the Gown.

The British and Special recognition is like Mugabe and power grin
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Nbote(m): 8:47am On Jan 18, 2017
Na only Nigeria here we dey copy British and American systems at the same time but refused to allow our things work like their own. See how smart Harvey Spector and Mike Ross dey look on their designer suits. Our lawyers and their gown are no different from church choirs and d scary looking wig dey make some look like they are in a Halloween costume.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Nickymezor(f): 8:58am On Jan 18, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:
i was in court some time back and the lawyers just looked silly in the whole billowing gown and stupid blond wigs! They can change those wigs to black ones can't they?or does the white color signify wisdom ....cos most of those lawyers aren't wise lipsrsealed
Lolz at ur last line
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by SangoCrusader: 8:59am On Jan 18, 2017
Kamadoye:

The legal profession as we know it has its own peculiar traditions most of which are from antiquity. An instance of this is the wig and gown which has quite become the de rigueur for members of the Nigerian Legal profession. Most law students can’t seem to understand why a feminine attire like the wig and gown would become the norm for everyone. Why can’t we just don our fashionable suits with a little pizazz when appearing before courts like we see in the movies ? The history behind the practice of wearing this rather outlandish garb dates back to the 18th century where it had once been a status symbol distinguishing members of the noble profession from the rest of the populace. It’s something that has been handed down the years until we eventually inherited it from Britain as part of our colonial common law heritage (although in most countries there have been minor modifications). A lot of reasons have been cited for why lawyers today still wear the wig and gown (most of which I still laugh over).

(1) It was originally designed to distinguish members of the legal profession from other members of society.

(2) It brought authority, formality, dignity and solemnity of the law

(3) It emphasizes on the objectivity of the law and deflects personal attention from the judge. (Surely judges can’t be seen to be flamboyant)

(4) With respect to the judiciary, it is designed to bring anonymity to the judge and help them hide their identity.

(5) It was introduced in the past for hygienic reasons

Do you think it should be done away with? Lets here your thoughts then

Go to law student hub for more

This is not true!

I recently watched a documentary on BBC. They wore the wigs in the past as it was the fashion of the day. As time went on, the profession became accustomed to dressing that way and things simply have not changed.

All thee symbolism above is ridiculous. Those were definitely not the reasons.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by OKEMKPI: 9:00am On Jan 18, 2017
The minister of sports in Nigeria is a lawyer,does he also belong to this noble profession that was meant for the wise ones?

This just but a question
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by chiefojiji(m): 9:29am On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:
Most People send their children to law school just because of the wing, no no the wing must stay o... grin grin grin

barrister Kingsley...... from the wing chamber...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by daveP(m): 9:53am On Jan 18, 2017
It's a sheep skin and a Wolf is black ba?@ their gown

So why can we just reach a conclusion which isn't bad afterall....

The lawyers are Wolves in sheep clothing.

Maybe vice versa

Just grin
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Nobody: 9:53am On Jan 18, 2017
its only in nigeria that lawyers wear this clownish wig and gown. in the west their lawyers wear only suit while their judges were a black robe. y naija tinz dey always different?
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by UchaNwababa: 9:55am On Jan 18, 2017
wigs of corruption
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Alvin007: 10:16am On Jan 18, 2017
daveP:
It's a sheep skin and a Wolf is black ba?@ their gown

So why can we just reach a conclusion which isn't bad afterall....

The lawyers are Wolves in sheep clothing.

Maybe vice versa

Just grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by daveP(m): 10:25am On Jan 18, 2017
Alvin007:

That's sacarsm!

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by KingsleyCEO: 10:32am On Jan 18, 2017
chiefojiji:

barrister Kingsley...... from the wing chamber...

Yes my learned Colleaque
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Alvin007: 10:36am On Jan 18, 2017
daveP:

That's sacarsm!

You call that 'sarcasm'..? angry ...abi

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by ricki: 10:45am On Jan 18, 2017
Kamadoye:

The legal profession as we know it has its own peculiar traditions most of which are from antiquity. An instance of this is the wig and gown which has quite become the de rigueur for members of the Nigerian Legal profession. Most law students can’t seem to understand why a feminine attire like the wig and gown would become the norm for everyone. Why can’t we just don our fashionable suits with a little pizazz when appearing before courts like we see in the movies ? The history behind the practice of wearing this rather outlandish garb dates back to the 18th century where it had once been a status symbol distinguishing members of the noble profession from the rest of the populace. It’s something that has been handed down the years until we eventually inherited it from Britain as part of our colonial common law heritage (although in most countries there have been minor modifications). A lot of reasons have been cited for why lawyers today still wear the wig and gown (most of which I still laugh over).

(1) It was originally designed to distinguish members of the legal profession from other members of society.

(2) It brought authority, formality, dignity and solemnity of the law

(3) It emphasizes on the objectivity of the law and deflects personal attention from the judge. (Surely judges can’t be seen to be flamboyant)

(4) With respect to the judiciary, it is designed to bring anonymity to the judge and help them hide their identity.

(5) It was introduced in the past for hygienic reasons

Do you think it should be done away with? Lets here your thoughts then

Go to law aaà hub for more

Idiota

It was worn because they are actors just acting......or more or less attending dia 2nd job in a rush

The theatre actor rush down to court with dia costume and it became a fashion.

Simple
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Aywire(m): 10:53am On Jan 18, 2017
Well, the attire gives certified lawyers some sort of prestige, so now the pride in the professional shudnt b done away with
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Appleyard(m): 11:08am On Jan 18, 2017
Alvin007:

The black gown connotes a 'sober' reflection, while coming before the law...he who comes before the law must come with clean hands..

....Doctrine of Equity... cool
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by chiefojiji(m): 11:25am On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:

Yes my learned Colleaque
you and who

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Alvin007: 11:30am On Jan 18, 2017
chiefojiji:

you and who

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 18, 2017
It's a colonial relic. It's made to look like a white man's hair.

It's stupid.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by KingsleyCEO: 2:43pm On Jan 18, 2017
chiefojiji:

you and who
Don't tell me you don't have a wing ooooo grin
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by KingsleyCEO: 2:45pm On Jan 18, 2017
amodu:

at the bolded, tell me you're joking

Lol Typing error o
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by gbmclub: 2:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
Hav u noticed dat the ftc always has many likes........i smell brotherhood conspiracy

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by amodu(m): 5:14pm On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:

Lol Typing error o
I for fear

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Who Happily Drives A Dangote Truck In The North. Photos / Janet Bunor, A Young Female Pilot In Nigeria, Buzzing On Social Media (Photos) / 9 Jobs That Don’t Require A University Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.