Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why (38779 Views)

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps / Do Lawyers In Nigeria Earn Much? / "How Can I Start A Wig And Hair Business?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by amodu(m): 5:15pm On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:

Lol Typing error o
I for fear

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by KingsleyCEO: 7:04pm On Jan 18, 2017
katunboy:
it's called 'Wig' and not wing, bro.

Lol! thanks but typing error, you know how auto correct behaves as if na him get your phone.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by chiefojiji(m): 7:32pm On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:
Don't tell me you don't have a wing ooooo grin

enuff wings, i'm wingfull
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by AlphaSoul: 2:11am On Feb 05, 2021
Kamadoye:

The legal profession as we know it has its own peculiar traditions most of which are from antiquity. An instance of this is the wig and gown which has quite become the de rigueur for members of the Nigerian Legal profession. Most law students can’t seem to understand why a feminine attire like the wig and gown would become the norm for everyone. Why can’t we just don our fashionable suits with a little pizazz when appearing before courts like we see in the movies ? The history behind the practice of wearing this rather outlandish garb dates back to the 18th century where it had once been a status symbol distinguishing members of the noble profession from the rest of the populace. It’s something that has been handed down the years until we eventually inherited it from Britain as part of our colonial common law heritage (although in most countries there have been minor modifications). A lot of reasons have been cited for why lawyers today still wear the wig and gown (most of which I still laugh over).

(1) It was originally designed to distinguish members of the legal profession from other members of society.

(2) It brought authority, formality, dignity and solemnity of the law

(3) It emphasizes on the objectivity of the law and deflects personal attention from the judge. (Surely judges can’t be seen to be flamboyant)

(4) With respect to the judiciary, it is designed to bring anonymity to the judge and help them hide their identity.

(5) It was introduced in the past for hygienic reasons

Do you think it should be done away with? Lets here your thoughts then

Go to law student hub for more

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Who Happily Drives A Dangote Truck In The North. Photos / Janet Bunor, A Young Female Pilot In Nigeria, Buzzing On Social Media (Photos) / 9 Jobs That Don’t Require A University Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.