Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy (41231 Views)

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:59pm On Jan 19, 2017
Between 1650 and 1865, 2.4 Million slaves were estimated to have left / embarked from the bight of Benin coast - And approximately 1.67 Million of them were estimated to have belonged to Yoruba cultures.

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 12:02am On Jan 20, 2017
RockHard:

Guy, you are actually buttressing my own point with this your Catholism analogy coz obviously the Catholic appeal must've been too irresistible and desirable enough for you to consciously choose to identity with it over more traditional igbo religion, in the same way the igbo slaves must've felt when they decided to allow their culture to die in the diaspora. undecided. I never really argued against your point about the admixture and varied ethnic composition of the slaves that were taken to Brazil during the slave trade. My emphasis was on the enduring character of Yoruba culture relative to those of slaves that even outnumbered them.

Listen up, the Congolese, Angolans, Akan may have even been more in numbers than Igbo slaves and all these groups with major numbers had very little bits of culture that survived. It is not an Igbo thing, it is a matter of when you arrived or the period in time when the tribes arrived.

Compare the figures exported from Bight of Biafra and Bight of Benin. Exports from Biafra was consistent from the beginning of slavery (1400), and dropping towards the end, while exports from Benin (Lagos and Badagri ports) did not pick up until half-way into the slave trade era (1751) and rose towards the end (when Lagos sent its most slaves). So once again, it was as a result of the time when Yoruba slaves arrived the new world. Figures show that Yoruba slaves were the last to arrive the new world, and for them their origins were still fresh in mind and they taught other slaves about mama africa and their roots!

Remember, not all Ifa practitioners in the diaspora are of Yoruba ancestry!

[img]https://tracingafricanroots.files./2015/06/chambers-2002-table1-estimated-percentage-of-igbo-captives1.jpg?w=869[/img]

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 12:04am On Jan 20, 2017
RockHard:

Guy, you are actually buttressing my own point with this your Catholism analogy coz obviously the Catholic appeal must've been too irresistible and desirable enough for you to consciously choose to identity with it over more traditional igbo religion, in the same way the igbo slaves must've felt when they decided to allow their culture to die in the diaspora. undecided. I never really argued against your point about the admixture and varied ethnic composition of the slaves that were taken to Brazil during the slave trade. My emphasis was on the enduring character of Yoruba culture relative to those of slaves that even outnumbered them.

Lol! Delusions, even when presented with superior argument.

3 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 12:11am On Jan 20, 2017
YourNemesis:

You are mixing up two things.
I am telling you that Yoruba DNA is the benchmark for Middle Guinea saves in the new world, Mandenkas for the Western Guinea, and of course Bantu and SAN have their own components.
The component of DNA African shares were not done under any wrong assumptions, they knew what exactly they were doing. Mandenka and Wolof DNA are not that different Hence The proportions you see there representing slaves from that axis. Same with Yoruba, Igbo Etc from the middle guinea coast.

Check any DNA documents of Africans - Yoruba always old the pole.anchor position.

Untrue.

“Abstract: Rice production was a key industry of many colonial South Carolina low country plantations. Accordingly, rice plantations owners within South Carolina often requested enslaved Africans from the so-called ‘‘Grain Coast’’ of western Africa (Senegal to Sierra Leone). Studies on the African origins of the enslaved within other regions of the Americas have been limited. To address the issue of origins of people of African descent within the Americas and understand more about the genetic heterogeneity present within Africa and the African Diaspora, we typed Y chromosome specific markers in 1,319 men consisting of 508 west and central Africans (from 12 populations), 188 Caribbeans (from 2 islands), 532 African Americans (AAs from Washington, DC and Columbia, SC), and 91 European Americans. Principal component and admixture analyses provide support for significant Grain Coast ancestry among African American men in South Carolina. AA men from DC and the Caribbean showed a closer affinity to populations from the Bight of Biafra.“

https://tracingafricanroots./2015/05/28/locating-african-american-haplogroups-within-africa/

DNA is never lost! cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by RockHard: 12:19am On Jan 20, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Listen up, the Congolese, Angolans, Akan may have even been more in numbers than Igbo slaves and all these groups with major numbers had very little bits of culture that survived. It is not an Igbo thing, it is a matter of when you arrived or the period in time when the tribes arrived.

Compare the figures exported from Bight of Biafra and Bight of Benin. Exports from Biafra was consistent from the beginning of slavery (1400), and dropping towards the end, while exports from Benin (Lagos and Badagri ports) did not pick up until half-way into the slave trade era (1751) and rose towards the end (when Lagos sent its most slaves). So once again, it was as a result of the time when Yoruba slaves arrived the new world. Figures show that Yoruba slaves were the last to arrive the new world, and for them their origins were still fresh in mind and they taught other slaves about mama africa and their roots!

Remember, not all Ifa practitioners in the diaspora are of Yoruba ancestry!

Dude, i'm not one to engage you in a fruitless back and forth banter over a non-issue. I already spelled out my premise and didn't even argue or disagree with you concerning the numerical strength of igbos slaves relative to others. No. I am merely stating the obvious fact that the Yoruba culture has, more than any other I can think of, managed to stay alive, endure and even convert more adherents that would rather identify with it than any other amongst the descendants of slaves in the diaspora. There's a higher probabilty that more of the descendants of those slaves would be quicker to identify with Yoruba culture than igbo today, #Fact.

And your comment that "not all Ifa practitioners in the diaspora are of Yoruba ancestry" only goes further to buttress this point. Look i can't shout, abeg.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 12:19am On Jan 20, 2017
The Population of Yoruba slaves in Bahia alone is more that the number of Igbo slaves in All the US. loL
Mind You, in the New World, the Yorubas Multiplied much more than their Igbo counterparts

And while Igbo slaves were quite numerous in the New world, a lot of them ended up in small caribbean countries with 0 cultural impact.

Ghana/Akan have become the Face of Jamaica
Yoruba has become the face of Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil Etc and increasingly so in the US.
Fons (And Yoruba to a lesser extent) has become the face of Haiti.
I believe that will be the future.

Forget that ur DNA ish, It don't even matter to Pan-Africanists.
People that consider All Black people one family aren't going to start checking if the majority of their DNA is Mali or Congo before connecting back to Africa. They would just look for the most prominent culture around them.

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 12:30am On Jan 20, 2017
BugFrancis

Yoruba Descendant association of Alabama.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-nnkswukGUOg/UAopr05DClI/AAAAAAAAA3A/OHAABG-0K9Q/s1600/logo.gif[/img]

Mind You, Might of Benin descandants Outnumbered Bight of Biafra folks in the US Gulf coast. wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by laudate: 12:34am On Jan 20, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Of course we do. It's always been part of our culture. Before the advent of Christianity, Igbo families often held naming ceremonies for their newly born or after circumcision conducted 8 days or two native market weeks after birth if male. Anybody who says otherwise does not know Igbo culture.

Re-ea-ally??! shocked I was called all kinds of nasty epithets a few years back, when I told some chaps on that thread that a naming ceremony is part of Igbo culture.

Here is one of the responses made on that thread:

Donzman:
@Laudate
The link you posted has vindicated me, it has also called on you, TerraCotta and the rest to admit you were wrong. There was no naming ceremony mentioned in that article, the article clearly described the process most Igbos go in naming their kids. They name them after the experiences pre-during-post pregnancy, there is no OFFICIAL ceremony where people gather just to name a kid.

Now Thiefofhearts, Laudate and TerraCotta, where is the apology to Donzman, Babyosisi and the other people who have been banging it into your heads that we do not have naming ceremonies?

P.S.: After reading that article, we still have people who think Ikwerres who name their communities in the same exact pattern, Umu-this, Umu-that are not Igbos, people need to be more honest with themselves! https://www.nairaland.com/59913/what-significance-yoruba-tribal-marks/6

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:23am On Jan 20, 2017
RockHard:

Dude, i'm not one to engage you in a fruitless back and forth banter over a non-issue. I already spelled out my premise and didn't even argue or disagree with you concerning the numerical strength of igbos slaves relative to others. No. I am merely stating the obvious fact that the Yoruba culture has, more than any other I can think of, managed to stay alive, endure and even convert more adherents that would rather identify with it than any other amongst the descendants of slaves in the diaspora. There's a higher probabilty that more of the descendants of those slaves would be quicker to identify with Yoruba culture than igbo today, #Fact.

And your comment that "not all Ifa practitioners in the diaspora are of Yoruba ancestry" only goes further to buttress this point. Look i can't shout, abeg.

@bold... I've always agreed. Never disputed that. My point made is that not all these adherents are necessarily of Yoruba descent. You and I, as we know, are highly westernized and practice Western culture, food, dressing, religion (Christianity etc.) but we are NOT Europeans neither are we Westerners. That is just my point.
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:23am On Jan 20, 2017
cc probz
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:26am On Jan 20, 2017
Some Igbo Cultural Remnants in the New World

Carabali Isuama and Carabali Elugu (Surviving calbidos or groups in Cuba of Isuama and Elugu Igbo descent.

Carabalí Isuama/Isuamo were Africans who likely came through the port of Calabar from the Isuama region now in Imo State and Rivers State, Nigeria)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waYt62amopw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m34Ux2PvhLo

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:34am On Jan 20, 2017
Ibo Lele Traditional Music by Haitians in Recognition of their Igbo Ancestors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ADfEyh7PQ

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:41am On Jan 20, 2017
Igbo Drum/Song in Cariaccou

An Igbo song follows. “Ovid-o Bagade,” a social metaphor, tells of the fear faced by a paranoid farmer, Ovid, who plants and yields unexpected evil. “Bagarde, Don’t be afraid,” sings the chorus.

Ovid-o Bagadé [Igbo]
Mwen planté shu mwen
Li turné ba legé
Ovid-o bagardé, bagardé éh-hé
Mwen planté shu mwen
Li turné maljo-jo (melangen, balissé)
Ovid-o bagardé, bagardé éh-hé

[Translation]
I plant tanya
And it turns to nothing
Ovid, don’t be afraid, don’t be afraid.
I plant tanya
And it turns to fear (eggplant, bush)
Ovid don’t be afraid, don’t be afraid.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.lameca.org/dossiers/bigdrum/musiq_eng.html
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 2:01am On Jan 20, 2017
YourNemesis:

Just telling you Yorubas most likely outnumbered Igbos on the new world, from all indications. Even if not by much.

All in all, it all depends on the country. Countries like Jamaica and the US had more Igbo slaves.

Statistically, this is not the case unfortunately/
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 2:42am On Jan 20, 2017
bigfrancis21:

@bold... I've always agreed. Never disputed that. My point made is that not all these adherents are necessarily of Yoruba descent. You and I, as we know, are highly westernized and practice Western culture, food, dressing, religion (Christianity etc.) but we are NOT Europeans neither are we Westerners. That is just my point.

Well, if that is the case, then the Senegambian tribes, most especially Atlantid tribes like Wolof and Mandes, as well as Angola-Congo tribes such as the Kongos and Mbundus would take the rice for the US. Not Igbo.
Infact THREE African slave regions outnumber the Bight of Biafra in the USA (Akan area, Senegambia/Mande Area AND Kongo Area). Maybe even 4, With Sierra Leone being the Fourth. The Igbo impute in the US is very much overrated.

But do these tribes get most of the cultural recognition? NOPE.

Cos from Data, the only place where Bight of Biafra outnumber any of the Three groups is the Virginia region (Which is already well known) Hence why that Igbo village was situated there.

Moreso, The US received one of the smallest imputes of slaves in the new World. The Bulk went to places like Brazil and Haiti.
Trust me when I say all these things you are talking about don't mean Ish. People will always identify with Interesting and richer cultures.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 8:32am On Jan 20, 2017
No. I am merely stating the obvious fact that the Yoruba culture has, more than any other I can think of, managed to stay alive, endure and even convert more adherents that would rather identify with it than any other amongst the descendants of slaves in the diaspora. There's a higher probabilty that more of the descendants of those slaves would be quicker to identify with Yoruba culture than igbo today, #Fact.

"The survival of Yoruba traditional elements is attributed to 2 major reasons: the late emergence of Yoruba slaves in the slave trade and favorable slave conditions and weakened slave laws in Latin American slave colonies in the mid/late 19th century". #Fact

3 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by Lushore1: 9:03pm On Jan 20, 2017
pazienza:
No. I am merely stating the obvious fact that the Yoruba culture has, more than any other I can think of, managed to stay alive, endure and even convert more adherents that would rather identify with it than any other amongst the descendants of slaves in the diaspora. There's a higher probabilty that more of the descendants of those slaves would be quicker to identify with Yoruba culture than igbo today, #Fact.

"The survival of Yoruba traditional elements is attributed to 2 major reasons: the late emergence of Yoruba slaves in the slave trade and favorable slave conditions and weakened slave laws in Latin American slave colonies in the mid/late 19th century". #Fact

Let assume you are right that yoruba slaves were late in the game. Can you tell me why is this? Since yorubas have early contact with white men than igbo....

2 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by Lushore1: 10:04pm On Jan 20, 2017
If order of arrival would explain the lasting cultural footprint then Fulani should be the culture surviving and not Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by Lushore1: 10:06pm On Jan 20, 2017
^^^I don't think it has anything to do with that... The last slaves to land on the shores of USA were part of the Igbo landing in Virginia, however that never changed anything there...

I personally think it has more to do with the level of spirituality and consciousness in Yoruba culture and how rich the language... Even places like: Haiti, Jamaica etc. that had few Yoruba slaves, the few slaves still left an impact on those country... I've met Jamaicans with Yoruba first names in the UK, especially those from the New Cross area where Yoruba slaves settled..

This isn't to say that one culture is more superior to the other - Yoruba culture is just deeper in the lives of most people of Yoruba descent - it's like an in-born thing... Heck, modern day Yorubas even Yorubanised Christianity into the white garment churches which were the first African churches we had in diaspora before the pentecostal churches came in the late 90s and early 20s... Most of us were born in white garment churches out here...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 10:09pm On Jan 20, 2017
Lushore1:
If order of arrival would explain the lasting cultural footprint then Fulani should be the culture surviving and not Yoruba.

lol.... You dey mind them?
They are just repeating the same things said by some New World researchers, nothing that was being thought about by themselves.

They should tell us how the Fons managed to preserve Vodun in Louisiana despite their very old presence there.
Or how the Yoruba and Fon slaves of Haiti managed to Preserve their culture, while that of the Igbos on the same Island died out. grin

We are all waiting patiently.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 10:25pm On Jan 20, 2017
ODUNDE FESTIVAL, USA
Officially recognized on the USA Public holidays calendar.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 10:57pm On Jan 20, 2017
Lushore1:

Let assume you are right that yoruba slaves were late in the game. Can you tell me why is this? Since yorubas have early contact with white men than igbo....

Your question is irrelevant to the scope of this thread.

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 10:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
Lushore1:

Why should t it be Fulani, rather than Yorubas.
Can you use a credible data to show us the number Of Fulanis exported to the New world, as compared to Yorubas?

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 11:01pm On Jan 20, 2017
YourNemesis:

lol.... You dey mind them?
They are just repeating the same things said by some New World researchers, nothing that was being thought about by themselves.

They should tell us how the Fons managed to preserve Vodun in Louisiana despite their very old presence there.
Or how the Yoruba and Fon slaves of Haiti managed to Preserve their culture, while that of the Igbos on the same Island died out. grin

We are all waiting patiently.

I believe Bigfrancis21 had posted many U tube video links of surviving Ibo heritage and culture in the New world.
Why do you choose to continue exhibiting your fantasies here?

3 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by Lushore1: 2:08am On Jan 21, 2017
pazienza:

Why should t it be Fulani, rather than Yorubas.
Can you use a credible data to show us the number Of Fulanis exported to the New world, as compared to Yorubas?

So you don't know fulanis are one of the last group of slaves in the new world?...please use Google it's free.

2 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 11:42am On Jan 21, 2017
Lushore1:

So you don't know fulanis are one of the last group of slaves in the new world?...please use Google it's free.

It's not just about the period of arrival, but also the numbers.

Yorubas had the numbers, Fulanis didn't,how hard is this to understand?
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by Lushore1: 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2017
pazienza:

I thought your brother was just telling us in another thread that only 300-400 thousand yoruba slaves left the sores of Africa.

bigfrancis21:
YORUBA SLAVE NUMBERS EXPORTED FROM BIGHT OF BENIN FROM 1650 TO 1865

The image below is a table of all slave ports in the Bight of Benin and the number of slaves exported from these ports during the entire slave trade period from 1650 to 1865.

Of all these ports, Lagos/Onim port was the number 1 source of Yoruba slaves. A quick look shows that from 1651 to 1750, Lagos exported 0 number of slaves for nearly 100 years. We begin to see the exports from Lagos (mostly Yoruba slaves) start from 1751, attaining its all time high between 1826 and 1850 (during the time of the Oyo empire wars) and dropping thereafter. The table indicates that between 1751, when Lagos slave exports began, and 1865, (end of slavery), 317,300 slaves (let us assume all were Yorubas for simplicity) were exported from Lagos port. That is, 317,300 Yoruba slaves were exported from the port of Lagos during the entire slave trade period of 215 years for Bight of Benin.

Now, there are high chances that some Yoruba slaves were also exported through nearby ports of Badagri and Epe. The slaves from these ports would have included Fon slaves, Ga slaves, Akan slaves, Ewe slaves, Yoruba slaves etc. Assuming all the slaves exported from these 2 ports were all Yoruba slaves, the figures are 53,700 and 85,500 for Epe and Badagry respectively, for a combined total of 139,200.

Assuming all the slaves exported from Lagos, Epe and Badagry were of Yoruba descent, the overall number of all 'Yoruba' slaves exported from these 3 ports in the Bight of Benin is 456,500, or less than half a million. However, realistically speaking, given the fact that many non-Yorubas were often labelled 'lukumi' by the Spanish/Portuguese (see second image below) and not all slaves from these 3 ports were actually Yorubas, especially from the ports of Epe and Badagry, the actual number of Yoruba slaves taken from these 3 ports would be a figure between 300,000 and 400,000.

To add also, that not all 300,000 to 456,500 Yoruba slaves who left the shores of West Africa did make it to the new world. A small percentage who were intercepted by the British and settled in Sierra Leone did not make it to Latin America, out of which some of those intercepted by the British who never left the African continent and settled in Sierra Leone (Saros) actually returned back to Lagos. Out of the majority who made it to Latin America, a small percentage (Agudas) returned to Lagos where they settled. Taking into consideration the numbers of Saros and Agudas, the final number of Yoruba slaves settling in Latin America (mainly Brazil) is a figure between 300,000 to 400,000.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Uk1Tbdsq99gC&pg=PA179&dq=yoruba+slave+population+numbers&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkzI34o8zRAhWH34MKHZDPDaEQ6AEIJTAC#v=onepage&q=yoruba%20slave%20population%20numbers&f=false
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by laudate: 1:22pm On Jan 21, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Are all the adherents of the Carabali Isuama and participants of the Carabali Olugo, necessarily of Igbo descent? Just asking. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by Lushore1: 1:25pm On Jan 21, 2017
pazienza:

bigfrancis21:

That's no issue at all. Bight of Biafra could have extended all the way down to South Africa. The figures being looked at is the actual number of Nigerians (Yoruba and Igbo) exported from these bights, regardless of how far away the bights may have extended. 1.2m from the Igbo country compared to 456,500 from the SW regions. You can dispute the territory of the bights but can't dispute the numbers.

You can't have it both ways, especially if we have to believe your brother arguement. Igbo with 1.2 million slaves simply have minimal impact in the new world in comparison to the half a million yoruba slaves.
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 3:16pm On Jan 21, 2017
Lushore1:

You can't have it both ways, especially if we have to believe your brother arguement. Igbo with 1.2 million slaves simply have minimal impact in the new world in comparison to the half a million yoruba slaves.

You are comparing apples with oranges here.
The Post you quoted was talking about Igbo and Yoruba, not Yoruba and Fulani.

Fulani slave exports were too negligible to make any form of impact, considering that they arrived almost same time with the Yorubas who outnumbered them by many times.

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 3:19pm On Jan 21, 2017
laudate:

Are all the adherents of the Carabali Isuama and participants of the Carabali Olugo, necessarily of Igbo descent? Just asking. undecided

Carabali Isuama and Carabali Elugu, are not religious practices to be adhered to. They are names of Igbo groups, Isuama and Elugu, who were shipped out via the Carabali slave markets at the Bight of Biafra.

4 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by pazienza(m): 3:21pm On Jan 21, 2017
Lushore1:

I thought your brother was just telling us in another thread that only 300-400 thousand yoruba slaves left the sores of Africa.

Yes, and that number is quite substantial when placed beside the factors on ground in the New world, during their arrival.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Masquerades Spotted Buying Ice Cream On The Road (Photos) / Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi, Laughs So Hard As He Attends A Wedding In Abuja (Photos) / Chukwuka Akaeze Receives Staff Of Office As Ubulu-Uku, Delta King (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.