Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy (41219 Views)

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 10:55pm On Jan 24, 2017
blacbard:
Interesting post so far
I think if we look beyond the supremacy battle undertones i am sensing we can agree to some "facts"
Yoruba's have managed to retain their culture more because
1. They arrived much later
2. The slavers were more permissive in the carribeeans and South America than in the British colonies of North Americas.
3. Some other reasons that may have to do affixation for the culture.

The surge in Yoruba slaves if you check coincides with the period of internecine wars in the Yoruba country. And also thr Dahomey conquests of previous Yoruba outposts and cities. Most slaves came from war conquests.

@bold...We won't be able to have exact figures of the number of slaves exported from the modern day Nigeria region.

History is never reviewed in isolation, you must consider all other eventd that had direct and indirect effect on the matter you are treating.
Questions like when did the boom in agriculture happen in the new world that led to increased demand for slaves?, where did these slaves come from ?

@bold...yes it might be hard to have exact figures given a lot that often happened. For example, some people were often mislabelled or given different tribes, for example some people exported from Bight of Benin may have been labelled lukumi even though they were actually not. Manning, for example, mentioned these mislabelling biasing the lukumi or Nago number numbers up. Thus from numbers or statistics obtained, researchers are able to give realistic or conservative estimates of exports. Given the very late entrance of Yoruba slaves into the market and their short period of time in trade before it ended completely, conservative estimates suggest a figure around 437,700 ethnic Yorubas. I find 986,000 to be pushing one's luck too far or even 1.67m to be exceedingly ridiculous. Of course, the final numbers settling in the new world would be lesser, subtracting the saros, agudas, those who died in slave ships before making it to the new world, etc. Multiple realistic sources for exports all point to a figure less than 500,000, the actual number settling finally being between 300,000 to 400,000.

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

LOL...okay
Awujor (Gathering)
Kpatakpata - completely
Agbo - Herbal mix
Akpolo - Frog
Agbada
Esusu (Credit association)
Ojoro (Cheat)
Ojukokoro
Akara
Tshintshi - Bug
Igbako - Large wooden/calabash spoon
Omolankay/Omolanke - Wheelbarrow
(Just google Omolankay)
Asobie or Ashobi

And many more.....

These are all mainstream everyday words in krio.
Instead of you to make a quick research and confirm or call your Sierra leone creole friend to verify, you are here arguing for argument sake.

How come these so-called words are missing from Krio dictionary? undecided undecided

Maybe some of the elderly Okus (who are often not regarded as part of Creole people) know these words, but Creole people (majorly descended from Jamaican, Nova Scotian, African American ex-slaves), I doubt. undecided
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:08pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

How come these so-called words are missing from Krio dictionary? undecided undecided

Maybe some of the elderly Okus (who are often not regarded as part of Creole people) know these words, but Creole people (majorly descended from Jamaican, Nova Scotian, African American ex-slaves), I doubt. undecided

lol, Why are you lying BigFrancis?
You are simply being dishonest.... but continue.

Here is an online Krio dictionary, And I am already seeing plenty Yoruba words just on the first page under A.

Abule
Agbada
Agbako
Abobo
Ajo
Alagba
Alaki
Ashebi
agbolo
Awujo

http://www.sierra-leone.org/Krio/dictionary-a.html

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:08pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:
Yoruba Words and Names Among the Gullah / Geechee of the USA.

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/african-words-in-the-american-english-gullah-dialect-ii/135621.html#titst1hF9Hhg5o0W.99

Interesting.

Smh. Another biased article written by another Nigerian Yoruba writer. Of course what would you expect. undecided

Moreover such Yoruba names, if true, would likely be from roll calls of late entrants into the new world. That is no new news. Overall, a very tiny number of Bight of Benin slaves entered the Gullah region.

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:09pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Hahaha if your list includes countries where immigrant Yorubas from Nigeria reside speak the language, oh boy then Igbo language will nearly be all over the world: Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Togo, Benin, South Africa, Thailand, China, Malaysia, United States, Canada, Holland, you name it. grin grin

So, why don't you check the Igbo ethnologue and show us the result?

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:09pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

lol, Whya re you lying BigFrancis?
You are simply being dishonest.... but continue.

Here is an online Krio dictionary, And I am already seeing plenty Yoruba words just on the first oage under A.

Abule
Agbada
Agbako
Abobo
Ajo
Alagba
Alaki
Ashebi
Awujo

http://www.sierra-leone.org/Krio/dictionary-a.html

Well, is this your proof of Yoruba being a living language in Sierra Leone? undecided
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:10pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Smh. Another biased article written by another Nigerian Yoruba writer. Of course what would you expect. undecided

kwahahahaha
loool..... It wasn't even from a Yoruba writer...
Yorubas made a tiny percent of Gullah ancestors, but have dominated Gullah worldview in the form of names and African words.
Na waa.

6 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:10pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Well, is this your proof of Yoruba being a living language in Sierra Leone? undecided

Guy.. Just go to your other thread.

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:13pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

So, why don't you check the Igbo ethnologue and show us the result?

Well, because we do not go around claiming countries where immigrant Igbos, especially traders, are found as Igbo-speaking countries. Realistically speaking, 2 countries where Yoruba is a recognized living language are Nigeria and Benin republic. Some sources count Togo, yet to confirm that. Igbo language is recognized in Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea. Any other Yoruba speakers elsewhere are immigrant speakers of the language from Nigeria. I mean this is an information age, let us look at things just as they are without unnecessary sentiments.
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:15pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

Guy.. Just go to your other thread.

Once more you are being evasive. grin
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:16pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Well, because we do not go around claiming countries where immigrant Igbos, especially traders, are found as Igbo-speaking countries. Realistically speaking, 2 countries where Yoruba is a recognized living language are Nigeria and Benin republic. Some sources count Togo, yet to confirm that. Igbo language is recognized in Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea. Any other Yoruba speakers elsewhere are immigrant speakers of the language from Nigeria. I mean this is an information age, let us look at things just as they are without unnecessary sentiments.

Of course Yorubas are not native to Sierra Leone... duuurh.
Only three countries Yorubas are native to is Nigeria, Benin and Togo.
Yorubas in Sierra Leone are like Germans in Chile.

Igbos in Say China are like Indians in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:17pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

kwahahahaha
loool..... It wasn't even from a Yoruba writer...
Yorubas made a tiny percent of Gullah ancestors, but have dominated Gullah worldview in the form of names and African words.
Na waa.

Dude, Farooq Kperogi is Nigerian and most likely Yoruba or related thereof. I do not expect anything different anyway. Learn to use google. It is free. smh

kwahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:19pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

Of course Yorubas are not native to Sierra Leone... duuurh.
Only three countries Yorubas are native to is Nigeria, Benin and Togo.
Yorubas in Sierra Leone are like Germans in Chile.

Igbos in Say China are like Indians in Nigeria.

Then, Yoruba is not a native language in Sierra Leone, going against your previous claim and fake maps you uploaded even claiming Ghana. Case closed.

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:22pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Dude, Farooq Kperogi is Nigerian and most likely Yoruba or related thereof. I do not expect anything different anyway. Learn to use google. It is free. smh

kwahahahaha

Siiiigh......
The research Farooq is quoting is not original to him. He only wrote an article based on valid research of a list of Gullah words.

The original is:
The Gullah People and Their African Heritage
By William S. Pollitzer

btw Kperogi is Bariba.

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:23pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Then, Yoruba is not a native language in Sierra Leone, going against your previous claim and fake maps you uploaded even claiming Ghana. Case closed.

I never said Yoruba were native to those places....hmmmn
We were talking about slave trade and retention of language and culture, and that was how Sierra Leone , Creole, Akus and Yoruba came up.
Who does not know that Sierra Leone is a milllion miles away from Yorubaland.

5 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:24pm On Jan 24, 2017
Farooq Kperogi

I am an Assistant Professor of Journalism and Citizen Media at Kennesaw State University, Georgia, USA. I received my B.A. in Mass Communication from Bayero University Kano, Nigeria, my Master's of Science degree in Communication from the University of Louisiana, USA, and my Ph.D. in Public Communication from Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA.

I am a recipient of the Nigerian Television Authority Prize for the Best Graduating Student in Mass Communication, the University of Louisiana's Outstanding Master's Student in Communication award, and Georgia State University's top Ph.D. student award in communication.

I'd worked as a reporter, news editor, presidential researcher/speech writer, and journalism lecturer in Nigeria before relocating to the United States.

I write two weekly newspaper columns: "Notes from Atlanta," which comes out every Saturday in the Weekly Trust and "Politics of Grammar," which appears every Sunday in the Sunday Trust. My columns are simultaneously published on my blog: www.farooqkperogi.com

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/profile/Farooq-A.-Kperogi.html

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:29pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

Siiiigh......
The research Farooq is quoting is not original to him. He only wrote an article based on valid research of a list of Gullah words.

The original is:
The Gullah People and Their African Heritage
By William S. Pollitzer

btw Kperogi is Bariba.

Bariba who schooled in Kwara Yoruba land. I mentioned earlier he must be related thereof. I am not surprised.

He may have written his article based on someone else's research, but the part below in quote were of his own personal admission:

In personal names, Yoruba is disproportionately dominant, especially given that slave records from the Port of Charleston in South Carolina show that less than 1 percent of the ancestors of the Gullah are Yoruba. Of the nearly 4,000 personal names Turner recorded, I identified 775 names that are unmistakably Yoruba, including names like Oduduwa (the mythological Yoruba progenitor), and even names of Yoruba sub-groups like Ijesa and Ogbomosho.
Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/african-words-in-the-american-english-gullah-dialect-ii/135621.html#c0eiOEsfWpiJcAAO.99

Finally only names of ancestors from roll call, which if checked one would find names from other tribes too listed. Overall, bight of benin represents less than 2% of Gullah ancestry, so why is this even news? undecided

I think you skipped this part too from your very same article:

It is also worth noting that the ubiquitous “una” (plural form of you) in African-inflected English pidgins and creoles is also present in Gullah. It is derived from the Igbo “unu,” which is also the plural form of “you” in the language, the singular being “ya” or “gi.” While “una”is the preferred form of the pronoun in Gullah, other variants exist, such as“huna,”“wuna,” and“unu” (preserved from the original form in Igbo). In Gullah, “mi nauna” means “me and you,” where “na” means “and,” as it does in Igbo.
Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/african-words-in-the-american-english-gullah-dialect-ii/135621.html#c0eiOEsfWpiJcAAO.99
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:30pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Btw, Where are the Igbo equivalents of the Akus of Gambia/SL and the Okus of SL, Who are more or less ethnic groups of their own?
Cos, there were also Igbo returnees in SL. like the Okoro president guy... grin

2 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:31pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

I never said Yoruba were native to those places....hmmmn
We were talking about slave trade and retention of language and culture, and that was how Sierra Leone , Creole, Akus and Yoruba came up.
Who does not know that Sierra Leone is a milllion miles away from Yorubaland.

Well you made it seem like Yoruba language was spoken as a living language in those countries by the natives. Once again, present facts as they are. Like I said before, the attention academic sources give to Yoruba history tends to often exaggerate things than they are actually are. However, reality on ground is quite different.
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:32pm On Jan 24, 2017
Gullahs are Welcome into the Yoruba fold.

kiss smiley

3 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:36pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

Btw, Where are the Igbo equivalents of the Akus of Gambia/SL and the Okus of SL.
Who are more or less ethnic groups of their own?
cos, there were also Igbo returnees in SL. like the Okoro president guy... grin

Of course no doubt, there were Igbo ex slave returnees, though in much lesser numbers than Yorubas. Some Igbo ex-slaves returned to places like Onitsha, Port-Harcourt, Umuahia and Aba in the east. In Onitsha for example, these people are often known by their English surnames. For example, the Nollywood actor, Larry Koldsweat, is a descendant of an Igbo ex-slave returnee from Sierra Leone. In UNN, I had a classmate from Onitsha whose great grandfather was an Igbo returnee, their surname is Brown. He is related to Franca Brown, a Nollywood actress who often acts the role of a wicked mother-in-law. The Borwn family is quite popular in Onitsha. Ask anybody who grew up in Onitsha about these people. They often have English surnames and Igbo first or middle names. They have their own quarters in Onitsha.

Akus of Gambia are simply Akus from SL who migrated to Gambia. They are not originally natives of Gambia but are migrants. What's the big deal in that.

The number of Igbo returnees would pale in comparison to Yoruba returnees to significantly change the numbers. grin
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 11:38pm On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:
Gullahs are Welcome into the Yoruba fold.

kiss smiley

Good for them. However, they are majorly of Sierra Leonean, Congolese and Angolan descent. mu na unu from Igbo still survives in modern day Gullah. cheesy
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:38pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Well you made it seem like Yoruba language was spoken as a living language in those countries by the natives. Once again, present facts as they are. Like I said before, the attention academic sources give to Yoruba history tends to often exaggerate things than they are actually are. However, reality on ground is quite different.

Yoruba is still being spoken by Okus in Sierra Leone (Who are not recent Nigerian migrants)
Many have maintained links with home. Tiwa Savage's family is said to be Aku.
Although it is fading there, due to lack of government recognition.

2 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:40pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Good for them. However, they are majorly of Sierra Leonean, Congolese and Angolan descent. mu na unu from Igbo still survives in modern day Gullah. cheesy

They will become one of us by assimilation and acculturalization.
Everybody came from somewhere. That don't matter. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:44pm On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Bariba who schooled in Kwara Yoruba land. I mentioned earlier he must be related thereof. I am not surprised.

He may have written his article based on someone else's research, but the part below in quote were of his own personal admission:

Finally only names of ancestors from roll call, which if checked one would find names from other tribes too listed. Overall, bight of benin represents less than 2% of Gullah ancestry, so why is this even news? undecided

I think you skipped this part too from your very same article:

I didn't skip it, I saw it.
I am only posting Yoruba influence in Gullah, why are you skipping a heartbeat over it? undecided

7 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 12:23am On Jan 25, 2017
Description on the Yorubas of The Bahamas

They are described to have come from a town named 'Abeokonto' , and to always been ad war with the Dahomeans

3 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 12:29am On Jan 25, 2017
The Yoruba were the major African group on the Island of Bahamas in the 1800s, and Oyo was said to have been a Major supplier.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:02am On Jan 25, 2017
YourNemesis:

Yoruba is still being spoken by Okus in Sierra Leone (Who are not recent Nigerian migrants)

Many have maintained links with home. Tiwa Savage's family is said to be Aku.
Although it is fading there, due to lack of government recognition.

@bold...false and no proof of that. You've joined the bandwagon of producers of fake news. grin

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:03am On Jan 25, 2017
YourNemesis:

They will become one of us by assimilation and acculturalization.
Everybody came from somewhere. That don't matter. cheesy

DNA doesn't change regardless. That is why regardless of the color, your so-called acculturation, or degree of mixing of african americans today, DNA tests are still able to pinpoint what tribe their very first ancestor came from. Just as the population of Yorubas with Igbo DNA through inter-marriage is on a geometric rise in Yoruba land, 50 years from now Yorubas would be said to have heavy Igbo descent in them. grin

100 years from now, as many as 40% of Yorubas may be doing DNA testing with results indicating to eastern Nigeria. kiss

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:05am On Jan 25, 2017
YourNemesis:

I didn't skip it, I saw it.
I am only posting Yoruba influence in Gullah, why are you skipping a heartbeat over it? undecided

What is the Yoruba influence in Gullah? Slave names? As if other tribes didn't have their own names recorded too when they arrived? Is that the Yoruba influence in Gullah? Or do you have a different interpretation of 'influence' here? undecided
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:10am On Jan 25, 2017
YourNemesis:
The Yoruba were the major African group on the Island of Bahamas in the 1800s, and Oyo was said to have been a Major supplier.

More evidence proving Yorubas only became dominant in the 1800s. We already said this severally before. Nothing new.

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:13am On Jan 25, 2017
YourNemesis:
Description on the Yorubas of The Bahamas

They are described to have come from a town named 'Abeokonto' , and to always been ad war with the Dahomeans

What is this supposed to mean? It is no more quantifying Yoruba numbers but how hardworking in slavery they were? Obedient slaves ni? grin

Bros haba na you no dey shame? lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Reacts To Fire At Palace Of Oba Of Lagos / Prof. Ramon Nominated As The New Ooni Of Ife / Masquerades Spotted Buying Ice Cream On The Road (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.