Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (698233 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 12:27am On Mar 07, 2017
titoakala:

yes undergraduate, am 28.. i finished with 2.55 in my ND. so i cant get scholarship with toefl?
28 and going for undergraduate is a huge red flag..You will only get that Visa with a miracle. And yes you cant get scholarship with TOEFL, undergraduates generally need to do SAT not TOEFL to stand a chance at scholarship
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 12:28am On Mar 07, 2017
damiliano:
Current exchange rate pls
www.abokifx.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 2:09am On Mar 07, 2017
GboyegaD:

I do not agree with the publication part as it varies from supervisor to supervisor. Some of thw old laidback ones prefer you focus on your thesis and suggest you write papers post graduation. Nonetheless, a PhD candidate should be have a great resume.

Your post here left me confused. On one hand you say a phd candidate "should have a great resume"... on the other hand you disagree that publications before graduation should be considered very important. What makes a phd resume great other than your published work?

Old laidback professors could care less about you publishing, they already have hundreds of papers and are established in their fields - your paper means nothing to them. Try graduating and applying for postdoc, industry or professorship jobs without papers and see how that works.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 2:13am On Mar 07, 2017
ecoleco:

TWoods, thanks very much for your input. I can hear lots of first hand experience from your comments. I have 21,600 USD Research Assistantship (RA) from the School over 9 months. I will also have about 12M naira from disposal of landed property on my bank account. Hopefully, that should be enough for funds not to be a problem during the interview. I am strongly leaning on me and wifey going at the same time. thank you!

That looks like you've got funds to tide you over. However, i forgot to ask - what city are you both moving to? That determines how far your assistantship dollars will go for a family (remember you will have to carry health insurance for your wife and child which will cut into your funds).

Based on your RA grant, you will likely make approximately $1600/month. Do the math, is this enough to pay for rent, maintain a car, food, utility bills etc? Those are the things the VO will consider in deciding whether to grant your wife a visa to essentially be a stay-at-home mom for 5 years.

Also note, if you're selling your land and taking your wife and kid... what would you have to prove ties at your interview?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Mizzfy: 3:39am On Mar 07, 2017
Hello house, I'm new on this forum and a 2018 spring hopeful. Want to know if there is any one attending TSU. Whats the school like and is it advisible for one to attend? Responses will be appreciated. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:25am On Mar 07, 2017
Mizzfy:
Hello house, I'm new on this forum and a 2018 spring hopeful. Want to know if there is any one attending TSU. Whats the school like and is it advisible for one to attend? Responses will be appreciated. Thank you

TSU can be many things Texas southern university or Tennessee State or Taraba State Uni ...... so its best to always state the full school name

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:31am On Mar 07, 2017
LagosismyHome:

TSU can be many things Texas southern university or Tennessee State or Taraba State Uni ...... so its best to always state the full school name
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:37am On Mar 07, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Lool.. you killed me with Taraba state uni
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:41am On Mar 07, 2017
Twoods, hope you're holding up well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 6:29am On Mar 07, 2017
slimmy2005:
Twoods, hope you're holding up well.

I am doing very well bro. Hope you're doing the same or even better.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by oguguo11: 6:48am On Mar 07, 2017
Hi
good morning , please I want to travel with my daughter to USA. We don't bear the same surname. Is it possible that we would be denied visa .thank
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 6:52am On Mar 07, 2017
femi321:
28 and going for undergraduate is a huge red flag..You will only get that Visa with a miracle. And yes you cant get scholarship with TOEFL, undergraduates generally need to do SAT not TOEFL to stand a chance at scholarship
First, if the man is busy and has a good IELTS or TOEFL test score, he'll not only get a scholarship but also the visa. His age is still okay.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 07, 2017
oguguo11:
Hi
good morning , please I want to travel with my daughter to USA. We don't bear the same surname. Is it possible that we would be denied visa .thank
1) Anything is possible 2) You will have to do alot of convincing at the embassy that she is really your daughter, just hold all the necccesary documents that can buttress your claim.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Mizzfy: 6:56am On Mar 07, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Texas Southern University
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by oguguo11: 6:58am On Mar 07, 2017
femi321:
1) Anything is possible 2) You will have to do alot of convincing at the embassy that she is really your daughter, just hold all the necccesary documents that can buttress your claim.
Thanks for ur reply. Can I chat with u privately
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:00am On Mar 07, 2017
DeeTus:
First, if the man is busy and has a good IELTS or TOEFL test, he'll not only get a scholarship but also the visa. His age is still okay.
Can you be too busy to chase your dream?You lost me at 'not only get scholarship but visa', what is TOEFL? Toefl is pure water and just a test of English proficiency. Do you know how many applicants are writting SAT? SAT will make him more competitive. If you were part of the admision commitee and you have just one candidate to choose from, would you choose a TOEFL applicant or SAT Applicant?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:02am On Mar 07, 2017
oguguo11:

Thanks for ur reply. Can I chat with u privately
You can ask any question here, the essence of this thread is that others coming after us can learn from our experiences. If we start private chats, the the essence will be lost. Hope you understand. Its a faceless forum so no big deal.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:04am On Mar 07, 2017
oguguo11:
Hi
Child's smuggling is a serious crime. Do not get yourself involved in it, unless you are ready to face the consequences.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 07, 2017
DeeTus:
Child's smuggling is a serious crime. Do not get yourself involved in it, unless you are ready to face the consequences.
lol..I dont think it fair to conclude like this. It is possible she is her daughter and they dont bear the same surname. What if she wasn't legally married to her father? What if they divorced and she did change of name? There are many scenerios this can happen. You should have just given her element of doubt

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 07, 2017
femi321:
Can you be too busy to chase your dream?You lost me at 'not only get scholarship but visa', what is TOEFL? Toefl is pure water and just a test of English proficiency. Do you know how many applicants are writting SAT? SAT will make him more competitive. If you were part of the admision commitee and you have just one candidate to choose from, would you choose a TOEFL applicant or SAT Applicant?
LOL! Honestly, you crack me up here. Some schools do not ask for SAT for undergraduate scholarships. TOEFL is a test of English, not a pure water.

Being busy in life means you have something doing, and the VOs do issue visas to candidates at that age. But it strictly depends on the information they see on computer system and of course, what you tell them in the course of interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by jatsay001: 7:16am On Mar 07, 2017
[quote author=fmsuhgar post=54312963][/quote]

Can I say sorry !!!

You sent me email without passing through Nairaland and you did not mention that you are acting on behalf of your friend. You were talking as you have the Naira ready and I gave you my wife's Account number and name. I took permission from my group member in order to go to western union. That was the time you told me that you are expecting someone to send you Naira.

You are not ready and you asked me to send account number with name .......... Does it look right ?? Giving bank information to stranger.

Anyway SORRY .......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by jatsay001: 7:19am On Mar 07, 2017
[quote author=seeker88 post=54295972]
Na wa oo....why are people so wicked! lipsrsealed[/quote

@ seeker88

I don't think jaysay001 knows what he is talking about, is it a crime to ask for your help?@jaysay001. Who is not real member? Since this is a faceless forum doesn't mean you should just talk to anyone anyhow,you don't know what tomorrow will bring. How can I ask you to send your dollar first before sending naira to you,I dey mad? Walspring help me to send TOEFL last year which he told me later that the money I sent isn't enough I completed his balance, Texrem help with the payment of my sevis fee last year didn't even complain of anything, so what's your problem,on top how much?

Can I say sorry !!!

You sent me email without passing through Nairaland and you did not mention that you are acting on behalf of your friend. You were talking as you have the Naira ready and I gave you my wife's Account number and name. I took permission from my group member in order to go to western union. That was the time you told me that you are expecting someone to send you Naira.

You are not ready and you asked me to send account number with name .......... Does it look right ?? Giving bank information to stranger.

Anyway SORRY .......

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 07, 2017
femi321:
lol..I dont think it fair to conclude like this. It is possible she is her daughter and they dont bear the same surname. What if she wasn't legally married to her father? What if they divorced and she did change of name? There are many scenerios this can happen. You should have just given her element of doubt
LOL! He or she should explain much better then. Not having the same surname is already a drawback.

Folks should know that whenever they are applying for visas, they're not only representing themselves or their families but also the country they come from.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 07, 2017
DeeTus:
LOL! Honestly, you crack me up here. Some schools do not ask for SAT for undergraduate scholarships. TOEFL is a test of English, not a pure water.

Being busy in li.
okay
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:39am On Mar 07, 2017
TheZed:
Did you graduate from lautech as well? I know she was a ladokite.

Was a ladokite keh. ...once a ladokite, always a ladokite. Lol grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by titoakala: 7:52am On Mar 07, 2017
femi321:
thanks for the info, any advise on wat i can do pls?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by titoakala: 8:12am On Mar 07, 2017
DeeTus:
First, if the man is busy and has a good IELTS or TOEFL test score, he'll not only get a scholarship but also the visa. His age is still okay.
i had 78 in toefl, which school do you think i can apply to?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TheZed(m): 8:28am On Mar 07, 2017
deeMarc:

Was a ladokite keh. ...once a ladokite, always a ladokite. Lol grin grin
Abi na. I see you're a fellow ladokite
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by chimsimdindu: 8:54am On Mar 07, 2017
titoakala:

yes undergraduate, am 28.. i finished with 2.55 in my ND. so i cant get scholarship with toefl?
By GPA I mean ur WAEC GPA. U can use www.foreign credits.com to get a rough aggregate.
Going for undergraduate at 28 ? Admission is no problem, but getting VISA might be hard. .
U need SAT for most tangible scholarship in USA.
If ur parents can sponsor u , then search for schools . u have to do the searching urself. U can use college board to eliminate some schools.
U can ask of Canadian schools too, they don't need SAT. Though I don't know much about them . Use GOOGLE.
Ur TOEFL score is just OK. Its not very high score , bear than in mind. Very few schools use TOEFL only for scholarship consideration .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:01am On Mar 07, 2017
titoakala:

i had 78 in toefl, which school do you think i can apply to?

Scholarship is free money and that makes it very competitive..... if you only wrote TOEFL and no SAT and your toefl is 79 . That not a score of a strong candidate for scholarship... .... let me be honest with you .

You probably need to write Sat and aim for much higher to be competitive
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:05am On Mar 07, 2017
oguguo11:
Hi

You dont have to bear the same surname although it helps.... if you dont have the same surname then you need evidence that she really yours and go with some documentation from the dad that authorises/he accepts that you can travel with her (this to show just incase it is asked )
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by titoakala: 9:14am On Mar 07, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Scholarship is free money and that makes it very competitive..... if you only wrote TOEFL and no SAT and your toefl is 79 . That not a score of a strong candidate for scholarship... .... let me be honest with you .

You probably need to write Sat and aim for much higher to be competitive
i get, thanks for the info.. scholarship is off the table then, pls which school can i apply to with this score? thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.