Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (697612 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by drhopeful: 6:23pm On Mar 05, 2017
ecoleco:
Well done everyone for this very informative thread!

Please I will be applying shortly for F-1 Students Visa for PhD study and I want wifey and 2 year old daughter to accompany me. I understand that she will need the F-2 derivative visa. Trip would be in August.
Now, wifey will be 6 months pregnant by August. So I am looking at two options:

F-1 Student Visa and F-2 derivative for her (Plan A) OR
She applies for B-2 medical visa for child delivery and travels ahead of me (Plan B)

I have heard rumours that chances of denial of F-1 Students visa would increase when the entire family accompanies the primary holder. Please is this rumour true? Since I heard this, I have started inclining towards Plan B but once I can confirm that this is not true, I will stick to plan A. Your input would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Just wondering who would be expecting you to live apart from your family for 4-5 years. Whether, you go with plan A or B, she would still need to apply F-2 visa now or later anyways. If I were you, I would go with plan A. Just get your story right and package adequate POF for your family.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 6:34pm On Mar 05, 2017
Folatush:

thank you. but i was unable to locate your post abt the interview through the search button

Here goes nothing:

https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/118#49482005
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by DanjaNinja(m): 6:47pm On Mar 05, 2017
If you intend to do a Masters in Computer Science in the Us and you do not have a first degree in computer science, i take God beg you, once you get here, dont skip these two courses/prerequistes: Intro to Computer Science and mostly importantly, "Data Structures". An intro to algorithm course is also necessary.

Computer Science is a deep and diverse field. All areas, from Artificial intelligence to database and standard applications programming (from windows to andriod) all require a good understanding of algorithms, data structures and some object oriented programming concepts (the latter is usually taugth in any standard data structure class).

One common mistake those with a non-computer science background make is to skip these topics beliving they can survive and learn these prerequisites on the go all in the name of cutting cost.

I repeat, Dont even think of taking any advanced level course until you have confidently understood the concepts taught in these courses. These are required "Prerequisites" and not "corequisites". You cannot learn as you go, you must already know these topics before you can take your regular graduate classes.

My first semester was a disaster of epic proportions because i failed to take these courses.
Imagine JJC like me taking classes on advanced database (i never even take database course before sef) and object oriented programming with c++. One thing is certain, you will struggle till the end of the semester and your grades would suffer greatly.

I have spoken with friends studying computer science from several universities and they all share the same opinion.

Please note, this is not Nigeria where your final exam makes up 70 percent of your final grade. Over here, your final exam is mostly 30-40% of your final grade. The rest is evenly split between your assignments, midterms, papers, projects and labs. In this amelika, to make an A, you need a score of 90 and above whereas in naija you need only 70 to make an A. The difference is like night and day.

So, for your own good, as soon as you arrive, approach your academic advisor and make them understand you dont have any background in computer science. This applies to every other discipline. Interact with your academic adviser as well as current students. Make them know your background and your limitations. Its not always about studying hard, sometimes for you to succeed, you need to "know what you dont know that you dont know". Only those with experience in that field can help you with that.

25 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Folatush(f): 7:16pm On Mar 05, 2017
[quote author=justwise post=53021246][/quote]
please can someone send me the link to part 8 and 9
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ahahnow: 7:22pm On Mar 05, 2017
Please how do I migrate to canada
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ecoleco: 7:32pm On Mar 05, 2017
Thank you Drhopeful for your input. Highly appreciated!

drhopeful:
Just wondering who would be expecting you to live apart from your family for 4-5 years. Whether, you go with plan A or B, she would still need to apply F-2 visa now or later anyways. If I were you, I would go with plan A. Just get your story right and package adequate POF for your family.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 05, 2017
saninwa:

Yes, whether you are the one sending the dollar, or the one receiving the naira, both people face a similar faith. In this situation, we are equal because the money involved is valued equal. What if I send my naira and at the end didn't receive your dollar? There has to be a mutual trust for the deal to be sealed.

How can you be in need of naira, and you ask me to send my naira first before sending your dollar. No, I wont. You are the one in need at the moment, so you make the move first. Anyway it's a matter of mutual trust as I said.
I wonder how you guys do this damn thing because for me, it seems quite absurd. I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets scammed here someday.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 05, 2017
ecoleco:

Please I will be applying shortly for F-1 Students Visa for PhD study and I want wifey and 2 year old daughter to accompany me. I understand that she will need the F-2 derivative visa. Trip would be in August.

She applies for B-2 medical visa for child delivery and travels ahead of me (Plan B)

I have heard rumours that chances of denial of F-1 Students visa would increase when the entire family accompanies the primary holder. Please is this rumour true? Since I heard this, I have started inclining towards Plan B but once I can confirm that this is not true, I will stick to plan A. Your input would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
I would advice you go for your F-1 alone. Your family should go afterwards for their F-2. If you want her to deliver here, she can go with the B-2 visa and do all the necessary arrangement, that is after you have travelled. She can give birth and change her status to F-2 with your kids

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 05, 2017
DanjaNinja:
If you intend to do a Masters in Computer Science in the Us and you do not have a first degree in computer science, i take God beg you, once you get here, dont skip these two courses/prerequistes: Intro to Computer Science and mostly importantly, "Data Structures". An intro to algorithm course is also necessary.

Computer Science is a deep and diverse field. All areas, from Artificial intelligence to database and standard applications programming (from windows to andriod) all require a good understanding of algorithms, data structures and some object oriented programming concepts (the latter is usually taugth in any standard data structure class).

One common mistake those with a non-computer science background make is to skip these topics beliving they can survive and learn these prerequisites on the go all in the name of cutting cost.

I repeat, Dont even think of taking any advanced level course until you have confidently understood the concepts taught in these courses. These are required "Prerequisites" and not "corequisites". You cannot learn as you go, you must already know these topics before you can take your regular graduate classes.

My first semester was a disaster of epic proportions because i failed to take these courses.
Imagine JJC like me taking classes on advanced database (i never even take database course before sef) and object oriented programming with c++. One thing is certain, you will struggle till the end of the semester and your grades would suffer greatly.

I have spoken with friends studying computer science from several universities and they all share the same opinion.

Please note, this is not Nigeria where your final exam makes up 70 percent of your final grade. Over here, your final exam is mostly 30-40% of your final grade. The rest is evenly split between your assignments, midterms, papers, projects and labs. In this amelika, to make an A, you need a score of 90 and above whereas in naija you need only 70 to make an A. The difference is like night and day.

So, for your own good, as soon as you arrive, approach your academic advisor and make them understand you dont have any background in computer science. This applies to every other discipline. Interact with your academic adviser as well as current students. Make them know your background and your limitations. Its not always about studying hard, sometimes for you to succeed, you need to "know what you dont know that you dont know". Only those with experience in that field can help you with that.
That's right. Also, the primary solution is to study ahead. You don't have to wait for your tutor. There are lots of tutorials online. Just log on to google and type C++ Tutorial. Same as Data Structure. Whatever you want to learn is there.

C++ could be quite complex though, especially if you have to debug.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by thacokeboy: 9:48pm On Mar 05, 2017
hello house abeg I forgt my school application log in and im unable to make payment for my app fee is it advisable for me to apply for another form?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ponpon(m): 9:54pm On Mar 05, 2017
thacokeboy:
hello house abeg I forgt my school application log in and im unable to make payment for my app fee is it advisable for me to apply for another form?
Use forgot password link sir, your birthday, last name, first name, email and Co should pull you through. Or better still send a mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 05, 2017
thacokeboy:
You want to fill another form? You will send test score and Recommendation letter again? Nah not advisable...There should be a forgot password somewhere on the website..make use of it

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by thacokeboy: 9:59pm On Mar 05, 2017
ponpon:
Use forgot password link sir, your birthday, last name, first name, email and Co should pull you through. Or better still send a mail
its not working o. I was instructed to contact admission service. but they're not replying
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by thacokeboy: 10:01pm On Mar 05, 2017
femi321:
You want to fill another form? You will send test score and Recommendation letter again? Nah not advisable...There should be a forgot password somewhere on the website..make use of it
the school dont require test score and I haven't sent anything else. na SAU I wan apply for

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 10:49pm On Mar 05, 2017
thacokeboy:
its not working o. I was instructed to contact admission service. but they're not replying

Try the webmaster if you can't get hold of the admission service.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by badoli: 3:00am On Mar 06, 2017
Hello oas pls, my passport will expire in Feb 2018 and am planning to use d same passport to re apply for student visa in dis year July... Though I was previously denied twice in 2015...
Pls I need reply ...Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 3:39am On Mar 06, 2017
Folatush:

please can someone send me the link to part 8 and 9

Look at the top of this page above the ads.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 3:44am On Mar 06, 2017
saninwa:

Yes, whether you are the one sending the dollar, or the one receiving the naira, both people face a similar faith. In this situation, we are equal because the money involved is valued equal. What if I send my naira and at the end didn't receive your dollar? There has to be a mutual trust for the deal to be sealed.

How can you be in need of naira, and you ask me to send my naira first before sending your dollar. No, I wont. You are the one in need at the moment, so you make the move first. Anyway it's a matter of mutual trust as I said.

You don't have to be able to trust just because you're the one in need. That doesn't insulate you from the risk. A better option is an escrow which would be someone both parties can trust.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 7:17am On Mar 06, 2017
ecoleco:

Thanks.

Plan A is good. However, since an F2 visa holder is not allowed to work and you will only be eligible for limited work opportunities, at least in your first year, you may need to demonstrate availability of a lot of funds. Since you're going for a phd, likely you would have full funding with stipends? That should help.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by fmsuhgar: 7:23am On Mar 06, 2017
[quote author=jatsay001 post=54289191]

You are right (Confirm your NAIRA first before you send your Dollar to US Bank Account) , It looks like some scammers are waiting for Dollar/Naira exchange from members. They will use real nairaland account to contact you through PM for WES payment in order to get your email. Then three days later, another email will contact you directly (without passing through Nairaland PM) that he saw your post on nairaland that he need dollar and ask you to send your dollar to US bank account... BEWARE !!!

What do you mean by that? You gave me your number and I called you telling you I need dollar in exchange for naira,I didn't tell you to send your dollar first before sending naira. When you said I should send it,I told you to hold on with the transfer that I haven't gotten in touch with the person that want to send the money to me that I will keep you updated, is that what you called scam,please everybody will not be like you if you are one of them
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by fmsuhgar: 7:28am On Mar 06, 2017
[quote author=seeker88 post=54295972]
Na wa oo....why are people so wicked! lipsrsealed[/quote

@ seeker88

I don't think jaysay001 knows what he is talking about, is it a crime to ask for your help?@jaysay001. Who is not real member? Since this is a faceless forum doesn't mean you should just talk to anyone anyhow,you don't know what tomorrow will bring. How can I ask you to send your dollar first before sending naira to you,I dey mad? Walspring help me to send TOEFL last year which he told me later that the money I sent isn't enough I completed his balance, Texrem help with the payment of my sevis fee last year didn't even complain of anything, so what's your problem,on top how much?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by vickbigship: 7:56am On Mar 06, 2017
TWoods:

Plan A is good. However, since an F2 visa holder is not allowed to work and you will only be eligible for limited work opportunities, at least in your first year, you may need to demonstrate availability of a lot of funds. Since you're going for a phd, likely you would have full funding with stipends? That should help.

Miss you comment sir or ma cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:09am On Mar 06, 2017
fmsuhgar:

I think you misread the post..... the comment was not specifically to anybody
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by vickbigship: 8:17am On Mar 06, 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by fmsuhgar: 9:13am On Mar 06, 2017
[quote author=LagosismyHome post=54313974]

I think you misread the post..... the comment was not specifically to anybody [/quote

I think I am the one he was talking about because everything he started in his comments tally with mine,a friend in Nigeria contacted him through nairaland that he need dollar for evaluation,so the friend sent jaysay's email to me that I should help him contact him,some days later, I sent email to him declaring interest
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TooMuchSauce: 10:58am On Mar 06, 2017
Hello guys, I'm new here and this post is just to register my presence in the thread. All the best to all of us out here chasing our dreams. #TeamSpring2018

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by emmanuel04: 11:24am On Mar 06, 2017
Please how can I reply someone on this page?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:32am On Mar 06, 2017
emmanuel04:
Please how can I reply someone on this page?

Go to the post ..
Click on quote then type on......and then submit
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by emmanuel04: 11:36am On Mar 06, 2017
Thanks

Click on quote then type on......and then submit [/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by emmanuel04: 11:39am On Mar 06, 2017
Zero level. Want to know the required so I can kick start the processing

What stage are you in the application process?

[/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by feguson123: 12:05pm On Mar 06, 2017
Click on quote and type

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.