Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,916 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. - Islam for Muslims (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. (37463 Views)

3 Things You Love About Islam / How Muslims Can Teach Non-Muslims About Islam / 10th Day Of Muharram: The Reason Muslims Fast On This Day Makes Me Curious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zubeyr(m): 4:14am On Oct 20, 2010
@ Lagos boy
I found it surprising to hear you saying the pre  nuptial agreement can't deals with the Assets   in case of divorce or death
how about if the husband wants to include  in the pre nupital or will giving his wife extra cash house or car after death or divorce  ?

are you telling me is not possible ? or he is not entitled to do it ? are you alluding because the Koran already spoke of inheritance in case of the husband's  death the husband has no right to specify an extra  specific gift or amount of cash to his wife a part from her inheritance share ?
Brother you get it wrong and what you said has  no base in the Koran nor the Hadith and it is not in tune with mainstream views and Islamic teachings To answer you second point I am not confusing two things maybe you the one who are not comprehending what I said and it is Ok
I never said and won't say  that the polygamy is haram what I said was crystal clear that the verse of the polygamy has two components one legalizing the polygamy and the other one stressing the preference of having one
So here you should know that the pre nuptial is permissible and to you I say no one can make haram what is halal I will be glad to accept from you any verse or hadith that say otherwise on other hand the Muslim scholars have basic rule saying the essence of everything is to be  halal unless there are verses or Hadiths to say otherwise
Regarding the Polygamy I can understand if someone from a polygamous background can take the issue personal but not to extent of  mischaracterization from what I understand from you the aim of the verse in your view is  only  for men to marry two three or four
The verse of polygamy came in time where the Arabs can take as many wives as they want some of the companions of the Prophet PUH had up to
twenty wives so the aim of the verse  mostly was to outlaw this practice and to put a limitation to the numbers of wives one can marry
The companions of the Prophets PUH and his KHALIFS    Abu bakr Omar Ousmane and Ali never rush to get more wives and  by the way none of them were in  polygamous marriage neither the daughters of the Prophets Zainab, Rakiyyah, UM Kelthum or Fatima Zahra 
The verse 3 of surat Al Nisa gives permission of polygamy to man but it restricts the maximum numbers of wives at four the permission is also subject to the provisio that the husband must do justice with all wives "ADL"or Justice used in this verse has not been defined however all commentators of the Koran unanimously hold that justice in this verse means equal treatment i n food clothing and lodgement but some consider that in addition to food clothing and lodging there must be equal treatment allotted for love and affection also
The Koran in its verse 129 surah Al Nisaa holds that you can't deal equally with all your wives however much you wish from this veridict of the Koran
( which is in fact true statement of human nature ) and the linking of the permission with the condition of justice some scholars believe that monogamy is the rule in Islam while polygamy is the exception
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zubeyr(m): 4:49am On Oct 20, 2010
@ IFFy
Whatever agreement between you and your husband before entering the fold of Islam is not acceptable Islamically
I suggest to go to the Mosque and get married again according to Islamic rules
To your second question if your husband defects after the agreement and take second wife you can't just go and marry someone else right away
you have to follow the procedure :
-Take the agreement with you and your 2 witnesses to the QADI (Islamic judge ) and he should be able to approve the divorce instantly if every thing in order after approval you have to wait 3 months period b4 you be able to marry someone else
your husband and the second wife if they are married according to the rules of Muslim marriage their relation is not considered as adultery
Yes the contract of Marriage to be acceptable need
1- 2 witness
2- wakil ( guardian or representative that the woman choose )
3- Mahr (dowry)
4- couple consent to marry
5- AQD
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zubeyr(m): 5:18am On Oct 20, 2010
@ hymen
I will get back to you when you sober up
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 5:30pm On Oct 20, 2010
@Zubeyr

My dear bro i really do not like to drag issues here continuosly especially as others reading the posts might get confused rather than enlightened. The beauty of islamic fiqh is sometimes its diversity and prularity of of views relating to application and implementation of islamic teachings while the principles remain constant.

Firstly as regards polygamy, i live in the west and i am tired of muslims arguing polygamy from a defensive and apologetic stance. You said  :

zubeyr:

Regarding the Polygamy I can understand if someone from a polygamous background can take the issue personal but not to extent of  mischaracterization from what I understand from you the aim of the verse in your view is only to marry two three or four
The verse of polygamy came in time where the Arabs can take as many wives as they want some of the companions of the Prophet PUH had up to
twenty wives so the aim of the verse mostly was to outlaw this practice and to put a limitation to the numbers of wives one can marry
The companions of the Prophets PUH and his KHALIFS    Abu bakr Omar Ousmane and Ali never rush to get more wives and  by the way none of them were in  polygamous marriage neither the daughters of the Prophets Zainab, Rakiyyah, UM Kelthum or Fatima Zahra 
The verse 3 of surat Al Nisa gives permission of polygamy to man but it restricts the maximum numbers of wives at four the permission is also subject to the provisio that the husband must do justice with all wives "ADL"or Justice used in this verse has not been defined however all commentators of the Koran unanimously hold that justice in this verse means equal treatment i n food clothing and lodgement but some consider that in addition to food clothing and lodging there must be equal treatment allotted for love and affection also
The Koran in its verse 129 surah Al Nisaa holds that you can't deal equally with all your wives however much you wish from this veridict of the Koran
( which is in fact true statement of human nature ) and the linking of the permission with the condition of justice some scholars believe that monogamy is the rule in Islam while polygamy is the exception

Firstly there is no personalisation of views here as if you would like to know I am from a monogamous home and my parents have been married for 40 years with my mum being the only wife of my dad.

To your posts , my dear brother Please let us do some independent study of the deen from scholars rather than take what we hear in the public without evidences. Your statement saying the caliphs never rushed to marry other wives is a bit of disrespect to these noble men as you are saying they did not rush to practice a sunnah of the prophet PBUH. What makes it more sad is that the statement is not true , Ali RA had four wives after the death of Fatima Zahra and he had about 20 children well documented in the Islamic texts.

Abu bakr had three wives while the prophet PBUH was alive and one of them lived on the outskirts of Medinah and it was in her house he was at the time the Prophet PBUH died which was the reason he was a bit late to the masjid when the prophet died. Umar RA had in total about seven wives but it was four at a time as he divorce two of them and one was during jahliyyah. Umar was married to umm kulthum who was the daughter of Ali as well, he had 12  children in total.

My dear brother, knowledge is power and light and we should never say things we have no knowledge about. Regarding scholars saying the preference of islam is monogamy and polygamy is an exception, this idea only developed in the last 40-70 years by muslim apologetics, because if you go into the texts of all the classical books you would never find this there. Go read all the books of tafseer of the verse 129 in Q4 you would see what scholars wrote in there. How can it be an exception when almost all the companions had more than one wife, how could it be an exception when the quran truly capped a limit to the excessive number of wives of the arabs. Polygamy is part of our faith, it is not compulsory and a matter of choice whoever wants to do it let him and whoever doesn’t want it should not. What we should never do is to subtly discourage it by saying it is an exception without basis.

Regarding pre nup of assets, again brother let us not confuse issues here. Will is different from pre nup. I think we should define what a pre nuptial agreement is first before we understand what we are talking about. Like I said pre nuptial agreement in western terms mainly refers to division of assets and spousal support. If this is what you say is allowed in islam as regards to assets division then let us analyse it. Islam has divorce methodology already; islaam has already protected women regarding maintenance following a divorce etc.

What exactly is the purpose of a pre nup relating to assets sharing except in the context of the western courts that split assets of couples. We muslims and scholars should stop looking at every issue in the context of western society. Islam already has structures and proceedings regarding this matter which is why I keep saying islam is a complete package, we should take and practice everything. Regarding pre nup of sharing the cooking and household chores, honestly it is from muslims in the west I have seen this sort of triviality. Why should we be trivializing marriage and the very essence of love and affection by having a contract as to who would cook and who would sweep the floor. Where is the trust? where is the love, where is the understanding and where is the sense of security a couple should have in a marriage. Is there security in a piece of contract, when one thing is broken the next thing is divorce?

Pre nuptial agreement again I say is allowed in islam broadly speaking but we have to understand what is contained in the contract to be able to determine is permissibility.  Scholars of essence and spirituality who understand the spirit of Islamic teachings would not sign trivial pre nups like cooking etc. However agreement relating to location change could be mutually agreed before marriage.
And God knows best.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 5:53pm On Oct 20, 2010
zubeyr:

@ IFFy
Whatever agreement between you and your husband before entering the fold of Islam is not acceptable Islamically
I suggest to go to the Mosque and get married again according to Islamic rules

Brother Zubeyr let us thread softly , please what is your evidence for the bolded part. Is this your personal thought or has any islamic basis.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2010
ifyalways:

@bolded,not in this generation anymore,no one wants to share.IMO
@Lagosboy,I noticed it seems u personally dont like Pre-nip tongue
Anyways,sometimes it looks like a bad idea,as if one is waiting someday for the marriage to break up,then pick up whatever is due for him/her and find his way.lol
Personally,i did not do the pre-nup thing but i have friends who did,from every story they told me,it seems they are not too comfortable with it ie the ladies.I dunno why undecided
AR, think of another wifey? shocked shocked Allah ki aiye .Nice to know.

It is not like i dont like pre nup but we have already established structures and principles in islaam. This current pre nup is all abour assets division and greed IMO.
With all these pre nup divorce rate is so high and of what use is going to a marriage with a set mind of one leg in and one leg out.

Dont worry AR will not get another wifey wink U no get rival madam habeeah cheesy
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by chakula: 7:44pm On Oct 20, 2010
I would have like reading such excerpt qouted below because it seems to be very important and knowledgable to the thread fallowers and to the contributors also, and i hope correction will be accepted by those who deserves it .May Allah s.w.t. guides us to the right path Ameen.

Lagosboy:

@Zubeyr

Firstly there is no personalisation of views here as if you would like to know I am from a monogamous home and my parents have been married for 40 years with my mum being the only wife of my dad.

To your posts , my dear brother Please let us do some independent study of the deen from scholars rather than take what we hear in the public without evidences. Your statement saying the caliphs never rushed to marry other wives is a bit of disrespect to these noble men as you are saying they did not rush to practice a sunnah of the prophet PBUH. What makes it more sad is that the statement is not true , Ali RA had four wives after the death of Fatima Zahra and he had about 20 children well documented in the Islamic texts.

Abu bakr had three wives while the prophet PBUH was alive and one of them lived on the outskirts of Medinah and it was in her house he was at the time the Prophet PBUH died which was the reason he was a bit late to the masjid when the prophet died. Umar RA had in total about seven wives but it was four at a time as he divorce two of them and one was during jahliyyah. Umar was married to umm kulthum who was the daughter of Ali as well, he had 12 children in total.

My dear brother, knowledge is power and light and we should never say things we have no knowledge about. Regarding scholars saying the preference of islam is monogamy and polygamy is an exception, this idea only developed in the last 40-70 years by muslim apologetics, because if you go into the texts of all the classical books you would never find this there. Go read all the books of tafseer of the verse 129 in Q4 you would see what scholars wrote in there. How can it be an exception when almost all the companions had more than one wife, how could it be an exception when the quran truly capped a limit to the excessive number of wives of the arabs. Polygamy is part of our faith, it is not compulsory and a matter of choice whoever wants to do it let him and whoever doesn’t want it should not. What we should never do is to subtly discourage it by saying it is an exception without basis.

Regarding pre nup of assets, again brother let us not confuse issues here. Will is different from pre nup. I think we should define what a pre nuptial agreement is first before we understand what we are talking about. Like I said pre nuptial agreement in western terms mainly refers to division of assets and spousal support. If this is what you say is allowed in islam as regards to assets division then let us analyse it. Islam has divorce methodology already; islaam has already protected women regarding maintenance following a divorce etc.

What exactly is the purpose of a pre nup relating to assets sharing except in the context of the western courts that split assets of couples. We muslims and scholars should stop looking at every issue in the context of western society. Islam already has structures and proceedings regarding this matter which is why I keep saying islam is a complete package, we should take and practice everything. Regarding pre nup of sharing the cooking and household chores, honestly it is from muslims in the west I have seen this sort of triviality. Why should we be trivializing marriage and the very essence of love and affection by having a contract as to who would cook and who would sweep the floor. Where is the trust? where is the love, where is the understanding and where is the sense of security a couple should have in a marriage. Is there security in a piece of contract, when one thing is broken the next thing is divorce?

Pre nuptial agreement again I say is allowed in islam broadly speaking but we have to understand what is contained in the contract to be able to determine is permissibility. Scholars of essence and spirituality who understand the spirit of Islamic teachings would not sign trivial pre nups like cooking etc. However agreement relating to location change could be mutually agreed before marriage.
And God knows best.

Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zubeyr(m): 5:17am On Oct 22, 2010
@ lagosboy
My dear bro I didn't choose to drag this argument here my presence on this forum was never to pick up a fight  to make you feel insecure or  to upstage you but since you start the argument and you were wrong in every steps I taught you would have the decency to man up and accept your mistakes I sense in your posts some attitude    arrogance rigidity in the  views  to you   it was only your way or the highway
Your modest knowledge of  Islam  your incoherence  your partial grasping of the core  of the  issues make me think  you need to further your knowledge and vet your sources at first hand  before you rely on the internet and translations your attitude and ego  would only confuse and mislead our brothers and sisters in this forum who are new to Islam    or those who are still Christians but choose to engage  us
My bro I never argued polygamy from an apologitic  stance but I wouldn't also deny the fact that some  Muslims  men make their wives believe that it is compulsory on other hand they still lack to offer them shelter   food and  maintenance required to keep them as wives
those men whatever they are wolof ,Serer from Senegal Sorai, Bambara from Mali  Sarakole ,Mandingo from Gambia Malinke , Fulani from Guinea Hausa ,Kanuri , Yoruba from Nigeria or Temne from sierra leone most of them  have fail to implement  the view of sharia in that regard
Regarding your polygamous background you still didn't prove me wrong I never said your family  or parents  were polygamous that why I choose "polygamous Background"  assuming you were Yoruba and as far as I know  Yoruba   were  Polygamous
Brother for the record If you read my posts on this forum I always try  to bring the direct  evidence from the Koran and the Sunnah I never  rely on what people say in Public I came from an erudite background I memorized  the Koran at age 10 I learned the deen from some reputable scholars
Sir saying that my statement was disrespectful to the Khalifs of the Prophet wasn't true how dare can I ? when I know those 10 Noble Men whom Allah   had granted  the Paradise already in advance  Abu bakr , Omar. ousmane ,Ali, Talha. Zubeyr , Saad ,Said ,Abdurrahmane Ibn Auwf and Ubaydata Ibn Aljarrah
Sir you mixing up think when you think that the aim of the verse of Polygamy was only intended to marry several women without taking in consideration that it was also intended to limit the number of wives ones can marry
Sir you mixing up thing again when you were categorical that the prenuptial agreement can't deal with assets because in your mind it is intended only  to split the assets in case of divorce which is I agree goes against the teaching of Islam but you forgot that it could deal with the assets if the agreement doesn't contradict the Koran like offering the wife some money or assets as compensation in case of divorce
in this matter I asked you specific questions in my  previous post and you still dodge them all
Sir you mixing up thing again when I told you that neither Abu bakr Omar or Ali   or the four daughters of the Prophets have been in polygamous Marriage  Did I say those Sahabas   never had several wives before ? Did because they had several wives before make them  polygams ?  Did because I had two marriages before one  with my  ex wife Paula and the second with  my current wife  zainab did that make me Polygam  ? of course not ? why ? because I divorced the first before I married the second 
Sir the sad thing that your statement about those Noble Men wasn't true I thought you know it all
Yes you were right when you stated that  Abu bakr had three wives and since your answer was incomplete let me  give you their names
1- Qutaylah Bint Abd Aluzza
2-Um Ruman Bint Amir Ibn Dahane (Mother of Sayyida Aisha wife of the Prophet PUH )
3-Asma Bint Umeys
You stated that Omar had seven wives which wasn't true actually He married Nine let me give you and the readers their Names just in case :
1-Zainab Bint Mazhun
2-Um kulthum Bint Jarwila
3-Quraybah Bint Abu U mayyah
4-Um Hakim Bint Alharith
5-Jamilah Bint Ashim
6-Atikah
7-UM Kulthum Bint Ali (daughter of Ali Ibn Abu Talib
8 -Luhyah a woman from Yemen mother of Abdul Rahman Ibn Omar
9-Fukayhah daughter Zinab Bint Umar
You stated that Ali had four wives actually He had only two
1-Fatimah Zahra
2-Fatimah Bint Hizam
I will be glad if you come up with the names of the  two you claimed
or to prove that those Marriages were Polygamous
Sir once again who are you to tell people what to put in their pre nuptial agreements and who are you to call it trivial
last time I checked your were lagos boy not a Scholar or Mufti

Last and not least I hope chakula  had waited before he jumps on the bandwagon
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 8:12am On Oct 22, 2010
Lagosboy:

Polygamy is part of our faith, it is not compulsory and a matter of choice whoever wants to do it let him and whoever doesn’t want it should not. What we should never do is to subtly discourage it by saying it is an exception without basis.

Is this part of your faith or arab culture ? I will be happy to know how our ancestors dealt with all these issues(divorce ,marriage etc).

We all seem to have relegated our traditions to the background & took on other cultures as ours with the belief its divinely inspired. undecided

I wonder who inspired Yoruba,Igbo,Hausa,Ibibio culture & traditions

zubeyr:

@ lagosboy
My dear bro I didn't choose to drag this argument here my presence on this forum was never to pick up a fight to make you feel insecure or to upstage you but since you start the argument and you were wrong in every steps I taught you would have the decency to man up and accept your mistakes I sense in your posts some attitude arrogance rigidity in the views to you it was only your way or the highway
Your modest knowledge of Islam your incoherence your partial grasping of the core of the issues make me think you need to further your knowledge and vet your sources at first hand your attitude and ego would only confuse and mislead our brothers and sisters in this forum who are new to Islam or those who are still Christians but choose to engage us
My bro I never argued polygamy from an apologitic stance but I wouldn't also deny the fact that some Muslims men make their wives believe that it is compulsory on other hand they still lack to offer them shelter food and maintenance required to keep them as wives
those men whatever they are wolof ,Serer from Senegal Sorai, Bambara from Mali Sarakole ,Mandingo from Gambia Malinke , Fulani from Guinea Hausa ,Kanuri , Yoruba from Nigeria or Temne from sierra leone most of them have fail to implement the view of sharia in that regard
Regarding your polygamous background you still didn't prove me wrong I never said your family or parents were polygamous that why I choose polygamous Background assuming you were Yoruba and as far as I know Yoruba tribe were Polygamous
brother for the record If you read my posts on this forum I always try to bring the direct evidence from the Koran and the Sunnah I never rely on what people say in Public I came from an erudite background I memorized the Koran at age 10 I learned the deen from some reputable scholars
Sir saying that my statement was disrespectful to the Khalifs of the Prophet wasn't true how dare can I ? when I know those 10 Noble Men whom Allah had granted the Paradise already in advance Abu bakr , Omar. ousmane ,Ali, Talha. Zubeyr , Saad ,Said ,Abdurrahmane Ibn Auwf and Ubaydata Ibn Aljarrah
Sir you mixing up think when you think that the aim of the verse of Polygamy was only intended to marry several women without taking in consideration that it was also intended to limit the number of wives ones can marry
sir you mixing up thing again when you were categorical that the prenuptial agreement can't deal with assets because in your mind it is intended only to split the assets in case of divorce which is I agree goes against the teaching of Islam but you forgot that it could deal with the assets if the agreement doesn't contradict the Koran like offering the wife some money or assets as compensation in case of divorce
in this matter I asked you specific questions in my previous post and you still dodge them all
Sir you mixing up thing again when I told you that neither Abu bakr Omar or Ali or the four daughters of the Prophets have been in polygamous Marriage Did I say those Sahabas never had several wives before ? Did because they had several wives before make them polygams ? Did because I had two marriages before one with my ex wife Paula and the second with my current wife zainab did that make me Polygam ? of course not ? why ? because I divorced the first before I married the second
Sir the sad thing that your statement about those Noble Men wasn't true I thought you know it all
Yes you were right when you stated that Abu bakr had three wives and since your answer was incomplete let me give you their names
1- Qutaylah Bint Abd Aluzza
2-Um Ruman Bint Amir Ibn Dahane (Mother of Sayyida Aisha wife of the Prophet PUH )
3-Asma Bint Umeys
You stated that Omar had seven wives which wasn't true actually He married Nine let me give you and the readers their Names just in case :
1-Zainab Bint Mazhun
2-Um kulthum Bint Jarwila
3-Quraybah Bint Abu U mayyah
4-Um Hakim Bint Alharith
5-Jamilah Bint Ashim
6-Atikah
7-UM Kulthum Bint Ali (daughter of Ali Ibn Abu Talib
8 -Luhyah a woman from Yemen mother of Abdul Rahman Ibn Omar
9-Fukayhah daughter Zinab Bint Umar
You stated that Ali had four wives actually He had only two
1-Fatimah Zahra
2-Fatimah Bint Hizam
I will be glad if you come up with the names of two you claimed
or to prove that those Marriages were Polygamous
Sir once again who are you to tell people what to put in their pre nuptial agreement and who are you to call it trivial
last time I checked your were lagos boy not a Scholar or Mufti

Last and not least I hope chakula had waited before he jumps on the bandwagon

Pally take it easy. . . you're rambling. . . .
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by chakula: 9:09am On Oct 22, 2010
Salam,

@zubaiyr,

Please, whenever i have hurt you, patience and have peace in your mind,for your understanding i am rather supporting anybody's view contrary with the primary sources  provided by the creed itself. All what i have try to pointed out is no matter how little a correction is lets imbibe it because no body is perfect in religion,and inline with my post i have counsel my brothers where ever they have or find a failure in religion, they have to hug corrections when it's find out period.

zubeyr:

Last and not least I hope chakula  had waited before he jumps on the bandwagon 

Below is the admonish to the people that are used to loose their temper when addressing issues, from the Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.-

HADITH 16   
  On the authority of Abu Hurairah, who said : a man said to the prophet : "Counsel me". He said : " Do not become angry". The man repeated [his request] several times, and he said: "Do not become angry ".

Narrated by Bukhari.

Source-Imam An-Nawawi's Forty Hadiths.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 9:37am On Oct 22, 2010
Too longggg oh,it wud soon get confusing.
What i picked is :
Lagosboy is saying that Polygamy and Monogamy is allowed in Islam.Anyone you pratice though,wud be with both parties consent or approval.
@Zubeyr is saying that is just Monogamy.
Please u guys shld correct me If im wrong undecided
Zubeyr,u write so much and fast,im a slow learner and reader hence im not so far able to get ur points,cud it make it a lil'bit slower and more expliict for me.
Lagosbobo,dont get worked-up now puleasee,btwn AR has no choice,hes stuck with moi 4Life cheesy

zubeyr:

@ hymen
I will get back to you when you sober up
lol
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zubeyr(m): 12:24pm On Oct 22, 2010
@Iffy I never said that the the monogamy is the only practice allowed in Islam Both Polygamy and Monogamy are allowed according to Koran and Sunna no one can say otherwise
Despite that said I still stand by  the view that  Monogamy is not compulsory or  as bad as some African Muslims Polygams want us to believe and it is not the only Sunnah  since the Prophet PUH had been in monogamous Marriage First with Khadija Bint Khuweilid for 24 years until her death
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:04pm On Oct 22, 2010
In the name of Allah the most Gracious the most merciful

The prophet PBUH said in a hadith " I guarrantee a house in the outskirts of Paradise for one who leaves off arguing even if he is in the right . . ."

@Zubeyr
I suggest we let this issue rest.

@Ify
Please could you proceed with your queries if you have any and may Allah continue to illuminate our hearts.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:30pm On Oct 22, 2010
illusion2:

Is this part of your faith or arab culture ? I will be happy to know how our ancestors dealt with all these issues(divorce ,marriage etc).

We all seem to have relegated our traditions to the background & took on other cultures as ours with the belief its divinely inspired. undecided

I wonder who inspired Yoruba,Igbo,Hausa,Ibibio culture & traditions

Eyan mi  wink just very briefly as i really dont want this polygamy issue drag again. In usul ul fiqh (principles of islamic jurispudence) we have some basic criteria for laws, one of the criteria is what we call ourf (local customs and tradition). Islam respects customs and tradition but there is a condition attached to it which is it that it should not violate any islamic principles. polygamy was arab culture, polygamy is yoruba culture same as african culture , polygamy was european culture, polygamy was jewish culture etc. Islam only regulated it and set out guidance to promote fairness, justice and equity.

My saying polygamy is part of our faith means polygamy is allowed in islam and monogamy as well is allowed. Both monogamy and polygamy has conditions atached to them.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 4:03pm On Oct 22, 2010
zubeyr:

@Iffy I never said that the the monogamy is the only practice allowed in Islam Both Polygamy and Monogamy are allowed according to Koran and Sunna no one can say otherwise
Despite that said I still stand by  the view that  Monogamy is not compulsory or  as bad as some African Muslims Polygams want us to believe and it is not the only Sunnah  since the Prophet PUH had been in monogamous Marriage First with Khadija Bint Khuweilid for 24 years until her death
OK.
Guess the long words and how u put it got me confused.
@Lagosboy,Eche.
We shall proceed Insha Allah.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 12:27pm On Oct 23, 2010
Lagosboy:

Eyan mi wink just very briefly as i really dont want this polygamy issue drag again. In usul ul fiqh (principles of islamic jurispudence) we have some basic criteria for laws, one of the criteria is what we call ourf (local customs and tradition). Islam respects customs and tradition but there is a condition attached to it which is it that it should not violate any islamic principles. polygamy was arab culture, polygamy is yoruba culture same as african culture , polygamy was european culture, polygamy was jewish culture etc. Islam only regulated it and set out guidance to promote fairness, justice and equity.

My saying polygamy is part of our faith means polygamy is allowed in islam and monogamy as well is allowed. Both monogamy and polygamy has conditions atached to them.
Nice one wink This clarification is very important,because I see both muslims & christians generally calling out their own cultures and traditions in favour of foreign perceived 'divinely inspired' cultures and tradition.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by muhsin(m): 9:37pm On Oct 23, 2010
Assalamu alaikum
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 4:43pm On Oct 25, 2010
muhsin:

Assalamu alaikum
Alaikum Salam
Oh Allah,we ask you intergrity and soundness in our religion,our lives,our families and our possessions.Oh Allah,cover our imperfections,pacify our fears,guard us from what is in front of us,behind us and from what is on our right,our left,over our heads and under our feet.
Amin.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by muhsin(m): 3:38pm On Oct 26, 2010
ifyalways:

Oh Allah,we ask you intergrity and soundness in our religion,our lives,our families and our possessions.Oh Allah,cover our imperfections,pacify our fears,guard us from what is in front of us,behind us and from what is on our right,our left,over our heads and under our feet.
Amin.

Amin. Nice prayer, Sis. Wallahi I can't express how happy I always feel whenever I open this thread, which is the first thing I do on this board these days. May Allah guide you, IFY and us more, amin.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by javalove(m): 10:23am On Oct 27, 2010
My boss told me to help her write a 2 to 3 page article on the Muslim's view of christianity. I am actually using your thread to get some info. . .

thanks ifyalways and lagosboy. . .omo eko original. . . grin

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 12:55pm On Oct 28, 2010
muhsin:

Amin. Nice prayer, Sis. Wallahi I can't express how happy I always feel whenever I open this thread, which is the first thing I do on this board these days. May Allah guide you, IFY and us more, amin.
Amin.
I and mine are happy for our newfound love ie Islam.We cant stop Praising Allah(swt) for guiding our path to the truth and light.
@All,lets remember in our daily duahs,faithfuls who wud be observing and travelling worldwide for Hajj.We dont want no accident,bad incidents or sad news.
Javalove,lol.Enjoy.
Lagosboy,kilo nshele?Shey o wa ok?
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 8:56am On Nov 01, 2010
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Our dear Lagosboy is in pains and mourning now,he lost his dad a few days back sad

Please,let us try and do duahs for him and his family.
@Lagosboy,take heart and remember When the Prophet (PBUH) own son died, he said, "The eyes shed tears and the heart is grieved, but we will not say anything except which pleases our Lord."
Allah is the One who gives life and takes it away, at a time appointed by Him. It is not for us to question His wisdom.
May Allah have mercy upon us all. From Him we come, and to Him we all return.
Be Strong !
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by chakula: 10:33am On Nov 01, 2010
Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajiun May his Soul rest in peace Ameen.

Our dear Lagosboy is in pains and mourning now,he lost his dad a few days back.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by azharuddin: 10:52am On Nov 01, 2010
Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajiun.
May Allah forgive all his sins, save him from punishment in the grave and give him paradise. Ameen.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 9:16am On Nov 02, 2010
chakula:

Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajiun May his Soul rest in peace Ameen.

azharuddin:

Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajiun.
May Allah forgive all his sins, save him from punishment in the grave and give him paradise. Ameen.
Ameen.
He has been washed,prayed for and buried.
I pray Allah(swt) grant him the highest ranks in the garden of paradise.Amin
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:19pm On Nov 02, 2010
Ameeen.

May Allah reward you all for your duas and support.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 4:55pm On Nov 02, 2010
Dear brother (lagosboy),
Kindly accept my condolences & do take heart. May his soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by xoxogg(f): 12:14pm On Nov 03, 2010
An interesting thread, quite refreshing to see issues being addressed without the calling of names smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 1:54pm On Nov 08, 2010
This place is too quiet,did we all go for Hajj? tongue
I came across this very beautiful surat this morning and thought of sharing:

"He it is who created you from dust,then from spermdrop,then from clot,then he brings you out as an infant,then causes you to grow into full maturity and then causes you to grow further so that you may reach old age while some of you he recalls earlier.All this in order that you may reach an appointed term and that you may understand the truth.He it is that gives life and causes death.Whenever he decress a thing,he only commands to it "BE" and IT IS."
Al-mu"min 40:67-68
He is just awesome and perfect.
@Lagosboy,welcome back.It is well n welcome to the club of fatherless,I have been a member for quite some time now. sad
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by mukina2: 1:59pm On Nov 08, 2010
Uplawal should learn from Ify smiley
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by muhsin(m): 1:26pm On Nov 09, 2010
ifyalways:

@Lagosboy,welcome back.It is well n welcome to the club of fatherless,I have been a member for quite some time now. sad

Although not a laughing matter, that had me smiling. lol!

I too have been with mother (not father) for long. I barely know her that much, for she died during my primary years.

May Allah grant their souls eternal peace, amin.

BTW, I wish I had gone for this Hajj. Who do we have in this house there--Mecca, for this year's hajj? I don't know any.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by chakula: 3:41pm On Nov 09, 2010
I am praying to get there ------ but next year insha Allah.
Muhsin 2days.

muhsin:

Who do we have in this house there--Mecca, for this year's hajj? I don't know any.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (32) (Reply)

Wamakko, Yuguda, Rochas, Give Money To Muslim Converts / Is It Unislamic To Pray To Allah For A Male Child? / Sheikh Jamiu AMI OLOHUN - Who Is He?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.