Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? (22050 Views)

White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by micktoxin(m): 9:38am On Feb 03, 2017
Depends on what you do. This holds ever more true for CEO, hedge funds, quants, doctors and other highly paid jobs.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by ipreach: 9:39am On Feb 03, 2017
Business is the best
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by myners007: 9:40am On Feb 03, 2017
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by SalamRushdie: 9:40am On Feb 03, 2017
I have done both and must say alll are the same , stressful ,uncertain

4 Likes

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by skywalker495(m): 9:41am On Feb 03, 2017
Get a job, then open a business
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by GodblessNig247(m): 9:42am On Feb 03, 2017
I prefer a salary earning job especially lecturing job cos it would give me ample time to do good business. In fact am enjoying the lecturing job cos it has given me a lee way to do other profitable things
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by jackie35(m): 9:42am On Feb 03, 2017
Godswillnwaoma:
seconded

Thirded
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Diplomaticbeing(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2017
Being an employee vs being an employer; hmm! subject to each individual's aspirations, the answer will be selective rather than objective one. Non is better/worse than the other. The most important thing is trying your best to be the best you can in any path you choose and by extension reach the apogee of your calling in the end.

- Working for someone/organization - employee.

- Working with someone/organization - employer/independent professional/self-employed.

Personally, and on principle, nothing will ever warrant me to work for someone. The joy of one being in-charge of one's life alone is reason enough not to jettison business for a salary job. More so, wages will always make one a living, while profits will constantly make one a fortune.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Mentorkaryhm(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2017
u can use ur salary to start ur Biz in case getting capital is hard... but it is Biz
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by bush112(m): 9:45am On Feb 03, 2017
no need argument business all the way
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by MrGreenMavro: 9:45am On Feb 03, 2017
cheesy

BUSINESS ALL THE WAY...

MY FRIEND RESIGNED FROM HIS 198K JOB TO FACE HIS ONLINE BUSINESS...WITHIN 2WEEKS HE HAS MADE HIS ONE MONTH SALARY grin grin

Now he makes btw 30-40k daily angry

2 Likes

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by willibounce1(m): 9:48am On Feb 03, 2017
Na business sure pass o. If you got a very good business idea with God's blessings, you are phucking ok.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 03, 2017
ever noticed that the first 1million richest individuals in the world are businessmen, business na im sweet pass. just look at those lecturers in your various universities, its always hard for most of them to even give out N5, baba its biz or nufin.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Shaw007(m): 9:50am On Feb 03, 2017
don't be deceived by the false security of a high paying job,

let's say you earn a million naira every month(which we all know is rare), it'll take you 25 years without spending a dime just to make a million dollars, what plenty of businessmen make in months and some days or minutes. let's be real . . . after spending and you are able to save at least half, that takes the time to 50 years

Not every one can be entrepreneurs, but if you want true freedom from financial problems, business is the only way to go.
working for someone or worse, the Government will not help you achieve most of those fancy dreams you have.

besides, wouldn't you rather create jobs and take more people off the street than to be looking for who to feed from. just ask the government workers from oyo state.

1 Like

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Snowstorm: 9:50am On Feb 03, 2017
Are you business oriented? If yes go for it because everything has a downtime at a point in time.. the way u pick yourself up then and get back running is very important! Otherwise you gonna feel your world crashing..
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by darlenese(f): 9:53am On Feb 03, 2017
As an entreprenuer , I'd say business is not easy . if u are are not business oriented , pls forget about business and be a salary earner

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Tunby(m): 9:54am On Feb 03, 2017
A salary Job is good but doing business is better. It seems easier to just go work somewhere everyday and have a "sure" salary every month unlike starting a business which can involve a lot of uncertainty and can be very risky. It is most rewarding at the end of the day. The extent of your work and hence, success (or failure) of your business lies solely in your hands or your team, unlike a salary job where your superiors enjoys the most benefit of your hard work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by paulstrings(m): 10:03am On Feb 03, 2017
kilokeys:
how about salary and business side by side?

who gives us the mindset of ''focusing'' on one single task?... its a weak ideology

Leonardo da Vinci or simply Leonardo, was an Italian polymath whose areas of interest included invention, painting, sculpting, architecture, science, music, mathematics, engineering, literature, anatomy, geology, astronomy, botany, writing, history, and cartography . He has been variously called the father of palaeontology, ichnology, and architecture, and is widely considered one of the greatest painters of all time. Sometimes credited with the inventions of the parachute, helicopter and tank, he epitomised the Renaissance humanist ideal.

i envy him... so in my own little way.. i hope to b a businessman in some months... though i am a current guitar tutor, pianist, chef , poet, artiste , engineering grad, practicing safety officer..

so bros .. be gainfully employed and control ur businesses.. employ pple to work for you.

Best Comment so far since I joined Nairaland.
You can also use Thomas Edison as a case study(Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor). You can become everything you wanna be in Life if you can Learn to successfully manage your TIME. That's the Secret. Go and read his Book on time Management.

3 Likes

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Tunby(m): 10:05am On Feb 03, 2017
darlenese:
As an entreprenuer , I'd say business is not easy . if u are are not business oriented , pls forget about business and be a salary earner
Everyone has the potential to do business in one form or the other, just like every one is creative in one form or the other and everyone can be a leader in one form or the other. It just takes a strong and bold mind to step out and a logical mind to think. Business is not rocket science.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 03, 2017
kilokeys:

who gives us the mindset of ''focusing'' on one single task?... its a weak ideology

Leonardo da Vinci or simply Leonardo, was an Italian polymath whose areas of interest included invention, painting, sculpting, architecture, science, music, mathematics, engineering, literature, anatomy, geology, astronomy, botany, writing, history, and cartography . He has been variously called the father of palaeontology, ichnology, and architecture, and is widely considered one of the greatest painters of all time. Sometimes credited with the inventions of the parachute, helicopter and tank, he epitomised the Renaissance humanist ideal.

i envy him... so in my own little way.. i hope to b a businessman in some months... though i am a current guitar tutor, pianist, chef , poet, artiste , engineering grad, practicing safety officer..

so bros .. be gainfully employed and control ur businesses.. employ pple to work for you.

Good day bro, what's your location? Lemme know if our paths align.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by bullabong(m): 10:11am On Feb 03, 2017
Godswillnwaoma:
I was with my friends today in school after our lectures when we had several discussion about how life will be after school and how we are going to make it in life despite the hash economic condition facing our dear country (recession).I told them i,m not going to work for anybody or any organisation that i,m going to set up my own business no matter how small it will be, some guys supported my idea and said they are going to do the same while others said they are going to look for a white coller job.
While i was going home after the discussion and argument, this question about which one is better between salary work and business keep coming in my mind.

So dear nairalanders, based on your expirience and knowledge, which among the two do u think is better btw salary job and business.? Your comments wil be highly appreciated and will also be of a help to young graduates to make good decission btw the two.

NB: pls ignore my grammatical error.
The two are good and the two are bad. If you can get a job when you leave school,take it and plan your business by the side till you are convinced of the business then you can resign. Going straight into business of setting up something with limited knowledge and funds will mean a lot of experience will come at a cost and if you don't have a source of income it can really get rough. So try and look for a job no matter how little the salary just as long as it pays the bills.

3 Likes

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by tobe4real(m): 10:11am On Feb 03, 2017
LordHiffy:
Although people have always stated the advantages of having a business, they often neglect to state the cons or CHALLENGES of being a business owner. As a biz owner there are things u need to put into consideration;
1. You will have to work much more than your counterparts ( this is for sure)
2. Biz is filled with ups and downs. Sometimes you gain but many times u may loose.
3. To sustain your biz, u'll have to mostly spend as a poor man ( you can't be a big spender and develop your business)
4. You have to be self sufficient and mostly rely on your guts for decisions
5. Your continuous creativity is a necessity
6. Less time for your self. Your business becomes like your baby
7. Finally you have to open your eyes to many other biz opportunities because some businesses go out of season. You need to spread your tentacles just in case
I wrote this whilst working so pardon my content but get d message
preach! Tell em'

2 Likes

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by akindlesfarm: 10:13am On Feb 03, 2017
in Nigeria if you do not have a university certificate i'll say business is best for you
otherwise you'll suffer
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by darlenese(f): 10:16am On Feb 03, 2017
Tunby:

Everyone has the potential to do business in one form or the other, just like every one is creative in one form or the other and everyone can be a leader in one form or the other. It just takes a strong and bold mind to step out and a logical mind to think. Business is not rocket science.

Business is not for every one take it or leave it !

Leave rocket science Marra for Fashola !

1 Like

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by PhrettySekinat(f): 10:16am On Feb 03, 2017
Well it all depends on ur situation and capacity, as a graduate who is about to enter the favour market wink

Do you have the start up capital for business ? Do u have back-ups if anything happens because business no be moi-moi, its easier said.

If the start up capital is small, can the procedes sustain u for now ?

You need to evaluate your options and see which will work better for you or if u can cope with both.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Tunby(m): 10:20am On Feb 03, 2017
kilokeys:

Hey bro. Did you go to Yabatech. I think we might have met.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by kilokeys(m): 10:20am On Feb 03, 2017
SnowJay92:

Good day bro, what's your location? Lemme know if our paths align.
abuja
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 03, 2017
I am on both sides of the world, but I tell you first is better to have something ACTIVELY doing. Some people's salary is far better than what some business owners are making, whereas it could be vice versa. Here is my take on the two situations, if you want to be a salary earner, be marketable, that is make your CV desirable. Humble yourself, its only the proud and the lazy that will say they dont want to work for anyone because they want to sleep on their beds till 11.a.m. Entrepreneurs are either by nature or nurture. If you are not by nature, you have to nurture, you have to be gainfully employed, learn the ropes, crawl before you walk, walk before you run, then if possible run before you fly.

As for doing business, you got to have the GUTS, the doggedness to succeed, the hunger. Can you endure timewasters? Can you endure debtors not paying you for your services? Do you have a feasible plan? Is it sustainable? Have you analyzed the market you want to do your business? Can you source for capital? If you can answer these questions, your business is good to go.

For instance, I am employed, and I am making the best use of all opportunities around me, I can learn from the job, I can save up to raise capital, and ofcourse network opportunities.

At the end of it all, don't be idle, GO GET THAT MONEY!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by infofta(m): 10:22am On Feb 03, 2017
Everyone does business including the government.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by kapai(m): 10:25am On Feb 03, 2017
Good to be the boss of your own
Business would be first considered.

The rate at which people clamour for white collar job,if I not for what will come up,would've left my job long ago.
Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by kboycrew: 10:26am On Feb 03, 2017
The best business for your time is farming.
imagine paying for an acre of land in a bush while you are in school from your little stipend. while in school you study about goat farming or rabbit or cow or dairy production etc. you can even take time to go to the Agric dept. make friends with lecturers and students and learn about animal husbandry while in school.
during holidays, while your mates are going to parties and toasting babes, take time to work as a volunteer in any farm close by. read more about your interest on internet and youtube and by the time you graduate you will be vast in knowledge.
During your NYSC continue with this quest for knowledge by lobbying to be in agric dept or work with Agric extension officers in the state.
Use your NYSC allawy to buy books, materials and equipment on Agric (By now you would have known what to buy).
come back to your one acre (or more) and start your goat farm. (You can start with 10 females and two males)
in five years while your mates are still hunting for jobs and those UNDERemployed are weeping for low wages, you would have grown your farm to close to 500 goats worth over N7.5 million. your can at these point apply for loan from Agric bank or BOI and expand your business.
ONLY IF I WAS TOLD THIS 25years AGO, I WILL NOT BE STOCK IN THIS MISERABLE SALARY THAT CANT TAKE ME HOME.
THINK AND ACT NOW.
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

1 Like

Re: Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? by Tunby(m): 10:28am On Feb 03, 2017
darlenese:

Business is not for every one take it or leave it !

Leave rocket science Marra for Fashola !
I hear

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shell To Cut Over 9,000 Jobs As Oil Demand Slumps / I Want To Relocate To Uyo Without Job Assurance / My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.