Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,369 members, 7,836,494 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number (21412 Views)

Thomas Jones: Who Is The First Nigerian To Drive A Car? (PHOTO) / Peugeot E-legend That Drives Itself: Car Without Driver Got Nigerians Talking / BMW Introduces Wireless Charging To Charge Your Car Without Cables (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by WILLYBABS(m): 7:21am On Feb 06, 2017
Whenever FRSC gets u
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Nobody: 7:23am On Feb 06, 2017
Nice piece but if you are connected to the oga at the top you can drive it for as long as you wish. That's Nigeria for you.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 06, 2017
I think it's about two weeks after arrival.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by MosakuAW(m): 7:25am On Feb 06, 2017
shinarambo1:

A whole three month. What if the car was used in commiting a crime within those 3month?

The law was written by government not we. So, if that is biggest challenge they would have reverse it.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Qmerit(m): 7:27am On Feb 06, 2017
Which is true u said ow do we know and the police? Onesided story is not nice enough..
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Nobody: 7:30am On Feb 06, 2017
MosakuAW:
3 to 6 months maximum from the day the car was purchased. This gives enough room for you to have processed all the necessary papers required.

For car dealers, 3 months from the day it was cleared from the sea port. If you have to drive it around town, you must get a dealer plate number as required by law if not, kindly "jejely"parked it in your sales car garage.
This ur post makes sense but it'll get Nigerians feeding the police, believe me.
Nobody talks about months out there on the roads.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Lexusgs430: 7:48am On Feb 06, 2017
zheroes:
Please I need very informed ideas on this

A friend was driving one of the cars he imported to the parking lot when he was apprehended by some police men at a checking point, and they asked why isn't the car registered so he said its for sale. Then they asked for his dealer plate number and he said its in process which is true. The next thing they said was that they will take the car to the station. An arguement ensued. I will leave the story here.

At what point does it become unlawful to drive a car unregistered?
Must someone have a dealer plate number before he can sell a car?

At the point the vehicle is not registered, it becomes an offence.
Ignorance is no excuse to break any laws... ...

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by MistadeRegal(m): 7:52am On Feb 06, 2017
Listen to yourself.
Question: Who stopped the car?
Answer: Police.
Question: In what country?
Answer: Somewhere in Niger-area.
Question: What was your offense?
Answer: Unregistered ride.
Question: What were you expecting? For them to check and lick your papers?
Answer: I have my rights!
Question: My friend case closed. Go and do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by ManTiger(m): 7:52am On Feb 06, 2017
Buraimohjoseph:
It is not even within the jurisdiction of the Nigerian Police to demand for car documents
Even if there has been a reported theft that matches the car you're driving?

2 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by zheroes(m): 7:54am On Feb 06, 2017
captainD567:
nigerian police are lawless and unintelligent. they have many ways to find out if the car is truly his or not but they won't do it, rather they will intimidate him to bring money. a policeman told me my road worthiness is expired in jan and for that he will park the car. i simply told him oga u are a stupid man.
my brother try NEVER to insult a police man in nigeria, if he shoots you nothing will happen!! You need to be self protective and offer them very few and sraight forward statements. Never try to pally with them, carry a straight face and be sure you have all the necessary documents. They will quickly let you leave cos they will be wondering who is this? At the moment police is not my friend until they give themselves some dignity !!

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by andyview(m): 7:55am On Feb 06, 2017
How can you drive car on the road without insurance cover? Its unlawful. Its for your protection. That's why we have dealer's license plate number. It has insurance cover. On the other hand, if such a car is used to commit a crime. how can it be traced? Keeping an imported car without registration is different from driving an unregistered car on the road.

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by saudyarmani(m): 8:02am On Feb 06, 2017
Sir..been a dealer or not is not an issue..asa long is it lagos cleared,you can drive the car within 3 month at your own risk...after 3 months then police can do anyaw or what they want.....

So cos am not a dealer doesn't mean I cnt drive my car without plate number within 3 months it's cleared

Black men n women in uniform are sadist and opportunist....they take advantage of every situation to intimidate it's citizen....hungry set of criminals called police
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by zheroes(m): 8:13am On Feb 06, 2017
MosakuAW:
3 to 6 months maximum from the day the car was purchased. This gives enough room for you to have processed all the necessary papers required.

For car dealers, 3 months from the day it was cleared from the sea port. If you have to drive it around town, you must get a dealer plate number as required by law if not, kindly "jejely"parked it in your sales car garage.
you are making some sense but you and I know a typical nigerian police. Tthe car in question was cleared less than 3 weeks ago, the papers were given to the officer. Even if you tell them verbally that its less than 3 months which they can see they will want you to settle. Am trying to get an answer to this because police doesn't eat my money. I will rather shred the notes than hand them to an unreasonable policeman. If my papers are expired I don't drive period. My extinguishers , caution triangle etc I have 2 each in my boot. I don't give tips to people who don't think straight.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Ten06(m): 8:14am On Feb 06, 2017
Under the law of Nigeria you have 30 days of grace to drive a new car without number. In a case like this you can sue for a redress
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by walozanga(m): 8:18am On Feb 06, 2017
shinarambo1:

A whole three month. What if the car was used in commiting a crime within those 3month?

go and ask a police man
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by bukiboy(m): 8:21am On Feb 06, 2017
It is illegal to drive unregistered car in Nigeria, it's just a norm that people do it all the time driving unregistered cars.
When you import a car, you suppose to find a truck that will move the car from Port to your destination.
All those brand new cars without registration doing convoy for delivery is also illegal.
Car dealers have customized plate number which you can always use on the road.
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse but trust Nigeria police they just capitalize on small things and blow out of proportion just to intimate and extort people
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by hardbody: 8:21am On Feb 06, 2017
captainD567:
nigerian police are lawless and unintelligent. they have many ways to find out if the car is truly his or not but they won't do it, rather they will intimidate him to bring money. a policeman told me my road worthiness is expired in jan and for that he will park the car. i simply told him oga u are a stupid man.

Police has no business checking roadworthiness. As a matter of fact, I don't even carry one. i always tell them my car is still under warranty, which period is usually 5 years or a certain kilometre range. Three things to show; Motor license, Motor Insurance and my drivers licence. I have no answer to anything else you are asking for. But then again, my profession helps.

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by zheroes(m): 8:24am On Feb 06, 2017
andyview:
How can you drive car on the road without insurance cover? Its unlawful. Its for your protection. That's why we have dealer's license plate number. It has insurance cover. On the other hand, if such a car is used to commit a crime. how can it be traced? Keeping an imported car without registration is different from driving an unregistered car on the road.
nice piece!!! If I understand you very clearly right from the port my car should have a dealers plate number on it. After which I can take it to the car lot for sale and have it removed!!! So basically no car should be on the road if it doesn't have a plate number period, this I guess is for our safety. So basically we should discount anything about 3 months as a crime could be committed within that time frame!!!
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by bukiboy(m): 8:25am On Feb 06, 2017
saudyarmani:
Sir..been a dealer or not is not an issue..asa long is it lagos cleared,you can drive the car within 3 month at your own risk...after 3 months then police can do anyaw or what they want.....

So cos am not a dealer doesn't mean I cnt drive my car without plate number within 3 months it's cleared

Black men n women in uniform are sadist and opportunist....they take advantage of every situation to intimidate it's citizen....hungry set of criminals called police

Stop committing crime. It's illegal to drive unregistered car even for a day on Nigeria road

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Driver Charged Over Driving Car With a Set of Pliers!! / Permit Ban: Cars With Factory-Fitted Tinted Glasses Exempted - IGP / 18 Wheeler Truck Destroys A 4Runner In A Collision

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.