Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,370 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number (21411 Views)

Thomas Jones: Who Is The First Nigerian To Drive A Car? (PHOTO) / Peugeot E-legend That Drives Itself: Car Without Driver Got Nigerians Talking / BMW Introduces Wireless Charging To Charge Your Car Without Cables (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by bukiboy(m): 8:26am On Feb 06, 2017
zheroes:
nice piece!!! If I understand you very clearly right from the port my car should have a dealers plate number on it. After which I can take it to the car lot for sale and have it removed!!! So basically no car should be on the road if it doesn't have a plate number period, this I guess is for our safety. So basically we should discount anything about 3 months as a crime could be committed within that time frame!!!

Yes
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by bukiboy(m): 8:29am On Feb 06, 2017
zheroes:
you are making some sense but you and I know a typical nigerian police. Tthe car in question was cleared less than 3 weeks ago, the papers were given to the officer. Even if you tell them verbally that its less than 3 months which they can see they will want you to settle. Am trying to get an answer to this because police doesn't eat my money. I will rather shred the notes than hand them to an unreasonable policeman. If my papers are expired I don't drive period. My extinguishers , caution triangle etc I have 2 each in my boot. I don't give tips to people who don't think straight.

Driving a car that's not registered is an offense

Driving without genuine insurance is an offense too

Obey the law and you don't need to bribe any police
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Exponental(m): 8:32am On Feb 06, 2017
I think it's a month after import
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by cardoctor(m): 8:37am On Feb 06, 2017
IpobExposed:
section 43 of the Road Safety Act 2011

Point of correction: Section 419 of the Road Safety Act 1967.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Boyooosa(m): 9:08am On Feb 06, 2017
shinarambo1:

A whole three month. What if the car was used in commiting a crime within those 3month?
Do u mean in America? if in Nigeria, the answer is that no be Plate no or number plate dem dey take trace or arrest Criminals... na luck or Babalawo power...Ish!
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Mrtesso: 9:23am On Feb 06, 2017
I was arrested sometime ago but on a slightly different basis. Sars stopped me and asked why I was driving an unregistered car at 10pm. Told em I just had to drop off someone I picked up on my way from Lagos at his busstop. They checked the docs and realized the car was cleared the previous week. Somehow they insisted on having me arrested and told me to look at the car for the last time because I'll never see it again. Upon getting to the Station, the S.O was on his way out and asked wat happened. They narrated it to him. He said they shud let me go since I told them I was just getting into town; which was evident from the dust and dirt on the car. He however said it's a different case if I'm driving around town by that time devoid of what he called "extenuating circumstances". He said, it's illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle btw the hours of 7pm to 7am, irrespective of how long it's been cleared. But that with a dealer number, I may drive such a vehicle only when there's an emergency. He also said it can be driven within three months of its arrival on Nigeria's soil. He said it's more for my protection than theirs. He was saying something else about right hand drive cars but me was already thanking him seriously, and prostrating seff.

So I think driving within three month's of arrival and during the hours of 7am and 6pm maybe the ideal thing but that shud be if ure a dealer. If ure not a dealer I'll advice u park the something at home till u register it.

NB: Im yet to see a law confirming or debunking wat the cop said, so I hold on to dat one for now sad

3 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Bishop(m): 9:32am On Feb 06, 2017
slurryeye:
I don't know about Nigeria, but I know in Canada, you can't drive an unregistered car. Even if you are moving the car for the purpose of exporting it, you need a temporary license known as transit license. I'm sure the same goes for most organized society. But anything goes in Nigeria
It is sad to hear a lot of people cry foul when they break the law, The law doesn't permit you to drive an unregistered car, but Sometimes you are temporarily allowed to move your car to your house as long as it is cleared at at any of the ports in Lagos however this is at the discretion of the Officer who apprehends you.

The moral of the whole story is that DO NOT drive an unregistered vehicle unless you have a dealers license which permits you to do so
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Canme4u(m): 9:51am On Feb 06, 2017
captainD567:
nigerian police are lawless and unintelligent. they have many ways to find out if the car is truly his or not but they won't do it, rather they will intimidate him to bring money. a policeman told me my road worthiness is expired in jan and for that he will park the car. i simply told him oga u are a stupid man.
I'm curious to know what happened afterward.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by walexix(m): 10:10am On Feb 06, 2017
In Lagos state former governor Babatunde Raji Fashola av passed d law that once a car as enter nigeria it must be registered or you av dealership number on it. You can't drive car without number in of eventuality ur car can be identify. But others maximum is 6month.
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by saudyarmani(m): 10:22am On Feb 06, 2017
When has it become crime and illegal....waiting for proof to backup up opinion or wld I say fallacy...lol....my uncle once drove his car over a month within lagos without plate number cos it was lag cleared....even dem saensible police know this...I await proof to you fallacy
bukiboy:

Stop committing crime. It's illegal to drive unregistered car even for a day on Nigeria road
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Abdulazeez007(m): 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2017
zheroes:
Please I need very informed ideas on this

A friend was driving one of the cars he imported to the parking lot when he was apprehended by some police men at a checking point, and they asked why isn't the car registered so he said its for sale. Then they asked for his dealer plate number and he said its in process which is true. The next thing they said was that they will take the car to the station. An arguement ensued. I will leave the story here.

At what point does it become unlawful to drive a car unregistered?
Must someone have a dealer plate number before he can sell a car?
3 months minimum, but with all relevant doc
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by akigbemaru: 12:30pm On Feb 06, 2017
Car permit

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Driver Charged Over Driving Car With a Set of Pliers!! / Permit Ban: Cars With Factory-Fitted Tinted Glasses Exempted - IGP / 18 Wheeler Truck Destroys A 4Runner In A Collision

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.