Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,524 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. (27375 Views)

This Building Located At Iyana Era, Along Badagry Expressway, Ijanikin, Lagos / How Much Will It Cost To Finish This Building Please? (pics) / Please Help Appraise/vet This Building Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by nobilie: 7:42am On Feb 05, 2017
@Mynd4, you are right. There should be a toilet for visitors. The store is an issue. Can be bet M. Bedroom and kitchen. The compound is big enough since building covers 45ft of 100ft. The m. Bedroom is pretty big(10ft). I envy you on that. Note: don't forget to raise the foundation slightly for future reasons. Good on.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by saydfact(m): 7:44am On Feb 05, 2017
ediscuss:
Honestly I like the technical input of all the comments.
Please can Someone say something about the budget especially this period and times of economic torbulence?

See the post above urs...
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by scobyy2007: 7:46am On Feb 05, 2017
I have copied this plan Ooooo......I hope permission has been granted!!! Visitor's toilet should be sited new the entrance and also the BED1&2 should be made ensuite. This my submission.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by skimanski(m): 7:47am On Feb 05, 2017
CASTOSVILLA:
Op, in as much as the rhythmic flow of movement in the house is not that bad. There are missing facilities and inadequately placed facilities. I recommend e redesign by an Architect for proper function.

What are the missing facilities? You don't just say he should design another plan without properly spelling out what you think is wrong with this one. Abeg OP. If you feel this is the only space you have available carry on jare nothing do the plan, only just follow your own advice of putting glass block or glass to illuminate the lobby. The issue of visitors toilet is an issue of preference. I have a visitors toilet in my house that cobwebs have taken over. Then the issue of store window is also secondary. If the space doesn't allow then you are also good.

The only way you can re-design to add more things is if you have money or extra land to add more space

1 Like

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by OlaSpeaker(m): 7:51am On Feb 05, 2017
MatinoOnoja:
i humbly request for professional and constructive critics from experts in this forum. my budget is 3.5million naira and this is going to be my first personal building project. the land is 45ft by 100ft, very flat & dry. my friend (civil Engr) used power point to make the sketch for me. he`s okay with my decision to seek more inputs from this forum. thanks in advance.
Pease kindly consult the service of an architect your friend is a civil engineer not an architect.

check my signature for help
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 05, 2017
princetom1:
Ogas, check this out, shagati and EgunMogaji

I tire for all this baba lati naija house drawings.

OP should go to [url]VillageHeadMaster.Com[/url] where I've listed couple of sites to get modern style plans for free.

He can also look at builds from Skimanski and other modern contemporary builders.

Good luck on his build.

PS: we need to continue to elevate Nigerian structures, architects should push the envelopes, clients should challenge and raise the bar on each and every build.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by scobyy2007: 7:52am On Feb 05, 2017
Please can you drop a sketch of 3 bedroom bungalow at larrypizzu@gmail.com

HarunaWest:

This is a poor design.Lemme state my reasons.
1.Lobby has neither access to light or wind.
2.You cross ventilated a guest room,and in room 2 only one window was provided.
3.The position of the kitchen is funny.The orientation should be changed.
4.In this modern times,all rooms are built ensuite.
5.No guest bathroom.
Biko i know the engineer is your friend.But please reach out to an architect,let them draft you contemporary 4 bedroom design cos it might look fine in paper,but when they commence building,even you will notice the fvck up..By then you can do little or nothing to change it. You can drop your mail,i would sketch and send you the kind of Contemporary design you should request from your architect. Takia
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 05, 2017
One way of creating more natural light is collapsing unnecessary walls. Like the wall between living room and kitchen, a counter would do. Also wall between kitchen and dining, dining and sitting room. Make it one continuous space from sitting room to lobby.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Nobody: 7:56am On Feb 05, 2017
skimanski:

What are the missing facilities? You don't just say he should design another plan without properly spelling out what you think is wrong with this one. Abeg OP. If you feel this is the only space you have available carry on jare nothing do the plan, only just follow your own advice of putting glass block or glass to illuminate the lobby. The issue of visitors toilet is an issue of preference. I have a visitors toilet in my house that cobwebs have taken over. Then the issue of store window is also secondary. If the space doesn't allow then you are also good.

The only way you can re-design to add more things is if you have money or extra land to add more space

Knowing what you know now, would you build this exact design for yourself?
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 05, 2017
Muafrika2:
One way of creating more natural light is collapsing unnecessary walls. Like the wall between living room and kitchen, a counter would do. Also wall between kitchen and dining, dining and sitting room. Make it one continuous space from sitting room to lobby.

So the guests can smell bokoto and ifun eran being cooked?
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by MysticVibe(f): 7:57am On Feb 05, 2017
Nice concept! It's similar to a plan I'm working on too. My comments:

1. I like the entrance. The guest toilet is exactly how it is in my uncle's home...interesting! I think you need another "general" visitor toilet. You don't want day visitors disturbing any resident guests you may have. Fine you won't have that all the time but from experience it's not the best.

2. Toilets and bathrooms: your design is going to use a lot of plumbing materials with toilets on almost all sides of the house. What we did was to have the guest bathroom, general bathroom kitchen and master bedroom bath on the same side of the house. Makes for neater plumbing, not to mention cost efficient!

3. Store: I think it's perfect. This is the only room you can throw in the middle of a house with no concerns lol. You don't need windows in a store. It's a waste of materials for a place you won't spend more than 1% of your time in. Instead install a light flush door with ventilated slats, and use open shelving, not cupboards. There will be decent circulation and whatever is stored there will keep.

4. No plans for a laundry? Your kitchen and bathrooms would be too small to incorporate one, and trust me you need one dedicated space.

5. Veranda: I think this is better in front of the living room, or to the left side if you don't want one up front. It's rather small for a house with at least four occupants.

5. The glass windows for the lobby...hmm. The beauty of glass blocks is if they are letting in natural light directly. I would tweak your design so that the lobby is lit naturally from the back of the house, and use the glass blocks there. This way the space is lit even if all inner doors are closed.

6. In addition to this space I would reduce the master bedroom size and shift the master bath to the right side of the house. That open space can fit an ironing board nicely plus you have lots of light.

Just my few cents smiley I will be following this!

Cheers.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Mbediogu(m): 7:58am On Feb 05, 2017
Great but the store may suffer light deficiency. I am an amateur though.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Mbediogu(m): 7:59am On Feb 05, 2017
Great but parts of the store may suffer light deficiency since only light source is the door. I am an amateur though.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 05, 2017
HarunaWest:

5.No guest bathroom.
Biko i know the engineer is your friend.But please reach out to an architect,let them draft you contemporary 4 bedroom design cos it might look fine in paper,but when they commence building,even you will notice the fvck up..By then you can do little or nothing to change it. You can drop your mail,i would sketch and send you the kind of Contemporary design you should request from your architect. Takia

#4 is a most ridiculous statement.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by dayleke: 8:00am On Feb 05, 2017
gists:

What if you have a visitor that is not sleeping over?
S/he will have to go far into the house to use the T/B.
I will probably remove the ensuite guest T/B and make it a general visitors toilet (near to the guest room anyway)

You have a point there...
I was also expecting to see just a toilet/washroom by the living room area or entrance for visitors and the household's convenience too.
I have seen some houses that have that outside the main house just by the entrance/main door.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by mtchris(m): 8:01am On Feb 05, 2017
MatinoOnoja:
i humbly request for professional and constructive critics from experts in this forum. my budget is 3.5million naira and this is going to be my first personal building project. the land is 45ft by 100ft, very flat & dry. my friend (civil Engr) used power point to make the sketch for me. he`s okay with my decision to seek more inputs from this forum. thanks in advance.
From what am seeing, this was designed by an engineer not an architect. Your lobby would be to dark. Your store needs a window atleast, bad positioning.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Fan2: 8:02am On Feb 05, 2017
I would surgest u bring d visitors T/B outside. redesign d entrance probably to the left so d T/B can fit in.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by misterawo: 8:02am On Feb 05, 2017
hjedua:
Nice plan.
my observations...
Bedroom 2 not cross ventilated.
masters bedroom hidden.
Store not ventilated.
Lobby not lighted naturally.
Thank you and best of success in execution.

This is my problem with most of the building designs in Nigeria. They hardly factor in the issue of ventilation. Most buildings have poor ventilation, let alone cross-ventilation.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by fkj950ax(m): 8:02am On Feb 05, 2017
Get rid of the dinning
Create a mini space to serve as an eating area. Most people don't use dinning any longer.

Re-orientate the kitchen to accommodate the store close to the outer right wall.

The space should be used to accommodate having all rooms ensuite.

The space leading out of the kitchen not really necessary as it serves to prevent you walking directly out of the Kitchen.
And very soon, becomes a store for junks.

With respect to budget, please get a QS. All abandoned building is due to an engineer encouraging owners to build with a paltry sum, and before you know it, they can't afford to continue after spending double of the engineers budget.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by tombricks: 8:08am On Feb 05, 2017
1, you lobby will be dark Cos no fenestration is close to it
2,the dining is not properly located cos it has a direct access from the entrance port
3,your store needs to be located where it will have ventilation
4,work on the position of T/B in your rooms.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by naijagunns(m): 8:09am On Feb 05, 2017
1) introduce glass blocks in the wall between the living room and lobby to get some light into it.
2) I imagine the t/b attached to the guest room is also going to be used by visitors not sleeping over. So door into guest room needs to be repositioned such that people can access the guest toilet without entering the guest bedroom.
3) the second toilet for the other bedrooms is kinda small. Try and increase it. thats where everybody else in the house will be using for bathing, brushing, washing
4) try and practicalize the spaces. Mark them out physically and see if they look suitable for what you require. The other bedrooms look small to me. Since there's no family sitting room, the occupants of those room will spend most of their time there.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by fizzy94(m): 8:14am On Feb 05, 2017
Mynd44:
I think it needs another toilet. I am not comfortable with a guest having to walk past a bedroom to ue your toilet. Privacy issues and you might not wnt some guests going that far in your home
The guest room has its own toilet and bathroom if u look closely I think.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by MatinoOnoja(m): 8:14am On Feb 05, 2017
HarunaWest:

5.No guest bathroom.
matinoonoja@yahoo.com. thanks alot
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by saydfact(m): 8:23am On Feb 05, 2017
MatinoOnoja

Initially I just wanted to reply ur statement on cost.. But let me add a few on the building.

1. Visitors toilet is very important in modern times, in a worst case senirio the guest room is designed WITHOUT the toilet and bath ensuite so visitors can use it too (saves cost and space)

2. No ARCHITECT can design a functional 4-Bedroom flat ON YOUR LAND SIZE and all rooms would be cross ventilated (emphasis on YOUR LAND SIZE) so it's perfectly OK to have Bedroom 2 with one window.

3. There is no rule that says all rooms must be ensuite - That's why Architects ask for clients brief, we can only advice but once a client insist for example on having 2 rooms share toilet - we achieve that in the best possible way.

4. A store don't necessarily need a window, good if u have it, but if space don't permit not bad.

5. Laundry is not a must, in Africa we wash outside - it's a factor of clients brief, want or space... If you consider it important, ask for one - why is No1 asking u to introduce a study? It's important to also have a space where u can work without disturbance at home, but if like I say, a client dont see its need, you don't need to provide it.... Same applies to laundry.

* My reply is based on people's comment rather than the design itself...

Good Luck

6 Likes

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Kadafiobi: 8:23am On Feb 05, 2017
Is a nice design but I do not buy the idea of accessing the guest room from the dining

1 Like

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by ajarossi(m): 8:27am On Feb 05, 2017
Dear am an architect I want to make little correction on ur drawing but before then mind u no matter how perfect ur drawing is pple ll still castigate it but the most important thing is to av a good flow that's all. Ur drawing is a good concept cos I hate criticizing some one's efffort rather I make corrections where necessary.

1. Ur zoning is not good, in case of fire outburst, lighting n ventilation

2. Ur flow has little crisis

3. The sizes of some spaces are not standard incase if the house ll b going for approval.

Appart from this few corrections ur work is good more especially ur grids.since u av enough space for the 4bedroom bunglow try n use an ante room. Thank contact me on nelouche@gmail.com for assistance
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Trippledee(m): 8:31am On Feb 05, 2017
We need visitor toilet
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by chrisblack1234: 8:36am On Feb 05, 2017
3.5m depends on the area..thelan there is rily OK,, sweet ..as an engineer , I will tell u if the house is to be carried out or developed in ekiti, ondo, Edo, is OK for ,3.5 million, but liitle change can be added later, but aside those states, u gonna spend more..building materials are rily up now, buying cement 2x the real amount b4..buckle up client.from Chris cross consult.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by Paschy88(m): 8:36am On Feb 05, 2017
The door to the guest room should be from the entrance porch. Having him go in from the dining gives him access to the whole house..
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by skimanski(m): 8:39am On Feb 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Knowing what you know now, would you build this exact design for yourself?

The answer is no! Everyone has the way they view how they want to live in their house. The only thing is the let them know what you thing is professionally bad with the plan, and trust me, even if my layout plan might be different, but still doesn't make this one bad. except the fact that light doesn't supply to the lobby.

Note it can be better, but will require more space, hence the reason my i asked if there is more space on the land to expand the plan.
Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by metallisc(m): 8:57am On Feb 05, 2017
MatinoOnoja:

check up and modify accordingly with an architect...

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. by danigbo(m): 8:58am On Feb 05, 2017
It's beautiful but it will be Kool if you can incorporate another entrance besides the main room. From the back. It's not good to have only one entrance. You know what I mean .But it's okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christmas Tragedy: Landslide Kills 3 In Abuja, Injures 3 Others / Prices of Quality Aluminum Roofing Sheets, Get it Cheaper, Call 0813 834 26 42 / Exploitation, Eviction Threat ‘killing’ Residents Of A Lagos Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.