Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,886 members, 7,810,405 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (264) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980725 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 5:43am On Apr 01, 2018
Canadahelper:

As someone who studies software eng here and has worked at a few tech companies , I’ll say programming is 50% interest and you’re good

For most of the tech jobs Ive had , sure I had an overall familiarly with software concepts , principles and software patterns but the actual tech stack I always pick up on the job and at time of the interviews I didn’t know.

So what i’m saying is if you’re new to it rather than dive straight to a language , understand the fundamental principles , design patterns , and architectures and learning a language or framework would be very easy.

If anyone coming to canada will be looking for a software developer or designer or programmer job , I can let you know what the interview style for tech jobs are and what the interviewers generally want to hear .

Also lastly the most in demand tech stack right now : Ecmascript 2016 (updated Javascript) , Node JS , React JS , Express , MongoDB, Angular JS , Python and Ruby .. my fellow tech bros and sis focus on these if you’re tryna pick up a new skill and you can be sure of at least 70k cad at least in ottawa and toronto

I quite appreciate your thoughts... I'm currently writing a curiculum for someone who wants to learn web development. He was surprised when he saw CS50 (Harvard's Intro to Computer Science) in there. He was puzzled. I also included the Fundamentals of Programming learning track by Lynda. Dude didn't understand why he has to learn all these first.

My point: most people just want to learn a programming language. Tell them to learn language independent principles first and they won't understand. But for those who learn those principles, picking up a language is like taking a walk in the park. And every web developer (at least those that follow the yearly StackOverflow survey) know that JavaScript is taking over.

I'm bout to start searching for them remote jobs or internships so if you get info on any, kindly give me a heads up. Thanks

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadahelper: 6:20am On Apr 01, 2018
simiolu1:

I quite appreciate your thoughts... I'm currently writing a curiculum for someone who wants to learn web development. He was surprised when he saw CS50 (Harvard's Intro to Computer Science) in there. He was puzzled. I also included the Fundamentals of Programming learning track by Lynda. Dude didn't understand why he has to learn all these first.

My point: most people just want to learn a programming language. Tell them to learn language independent principles first and they won't understand. But for those who learn those principles, picking up a language is like taking a walk in the park. And every web developer (at least those that follow the yearly StackOverflow survey) know that JavaScript is taking over.

I'm bout to start searching for them remote jobs or internships so if you get info on any, kindly give me a heads up. Thanks

Where do you live bro and what’s your major ? I see posting alerts for software / web developers in toronto almost daily . Ottawa isn’t as poppin but also has a good tech base in Kanata. A lot of the big companies are almost always hiring (Shopify , IBM, amazon but their interviews are tough )

I have glassdoor and I see lots of postings through that . Example attached

How’s your linked In profile looking ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 7:06am On Apr 01, 2018
Canadahelper:

Where do you live bro and what’s your major ? I see posting alerts for software / web developers in toronto almost daily . Ottawa isn’t as poppin but also has a good tech base in Kanata. A lot of the big companies are almost always hiring (Shopify , IBM, amazon but their interviews are tough )

I have glassdoor and I see lots of postings through that . Example attached

How’s your linked In profile looking ?

I know I need to do a lot about my LinkedIn profile. I used to be so interested in the Telcoms industry and I interned with one of the equipment manufacturers so my profile was built around that.

Now that I have switched to software development full time, I have not made changes to make that reflect on the page.

Moreso, I want my profile to really stand out not just writing about skills without any project(s) to show for it.

So I plan to build something using my preferred languages (Php and JS) and put it on Github/BitBucket. I have not decided what to build yet; I just know I want to build with React or Vue or both and I've not even started learning any of the two! More importantly, I would want to use both projects to hone my Git flow workflow skills and get a handle on Testing.

So when I said I'm about to, I actually meant in like 2 months time. And whatever I'm looking for has to be remote!!! And yes, I'm in Nigeria

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadahelper: 7:15am On Apr 01, 2018
simiolu1:

I know I need to do a lot about my LinkedIn profile. I used to be so interested in the Telcoms industry and I interned with one of the equipment manufacturers so my profile was built around that.

Now that I have switched to software development full time, I have not made changes to make that reflect on the page.

Moreso, I want my profile to really stand out not just writing about skills without any project(s) to show for it.

So I plan to build something using my preferred languages (Php and JS) and put it on Github/BitBucket. I have not decided what to build yet; I just know I want to build with React or Vue or both and I've not even started learning any of the two! More importantly, I would want to use both projects to hone my Git flow workflow skills.

So when I said I'm about to, I actually meant in like 2 months time. And whatever I'm looking for has to be remote!!! And yes, I'm in Nigeria

Ah gotcha . I don’t have too much xp with remote jobs but I know there’s a couple sites where you can register as a freelance programmer and charge people hourly for projects such as a “Simple” Task Management system or even better there’s a ton of students looking for people willing to do their programming assignments for them . you could get 100bucks/ assignment , pretty sure that’s the rate .

Yeah definitely work on updating linkedIn and in our career personal projects are always a big plus . Try to add Continous Integration to whatever you build , it’s another in demand skill ( Travis CI , Jenkins)

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 8:26am On Apr 01, 2018
Canadahelper:

Ah gotcha . I don’t have too much xp with remote jobs but I know there’s a couple sites where you can register as a freelance programmer and charge people hourly for projects such as a “Simple” Task Management system or even better there’s a ton of students looking for people willing to do their programming assignments for them . you could get 100bucks/ assignment , pretty sure that’s the rate .

Yeah definitely work on updating linkedIn and in our career personal projects are always a big plus . Try to add Continous Integration to whatever you build , it’s another in demand skill ( Travis CI , Jenkins)

I have thought about the freelance option but I would really prefer it if I did a remote kinda stuff. Believe me, working with an organization has its benefits (code review, mentorship, conferences, working on stuff people actually use etc).

And yeah, there is still a lot to be learnt; Containerization etc. People should respect programmers abeg. Our job is 40% the programs we write and 60% tooling, research and learning

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by deeplow: 10:46am On Apr 01, 2018
Hi people.
I need advice. Let’s say I work with an NGO, in a remote part of the country, Monthly salary around a million naira(excluding benefits between 100-200k). Problem is, my girlfriend and I are looking to marry before the last quarter of the year, and I don’t want her tO move here with me. Also can’t imagine being without her after marriage.

Is it advisable to partake in this Emigration to Canada. Will I find a decent job there? I just want a life where I sleep and wake up to my wife, earn a decent salary and live a peaceful life. Your advice is highly needed. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 10:57am On Apr 01, 2018
deeplow:
Hi people.
I need advice. Let’s say I work with an NGO, in a remote part of the country, Monthly salary around a million naira(excluding benefits between 100-200k). Your advice is highly needed. Thanks.

I don't think anyone can answer these questions for you,you need to do a research on job availability,and the cities where they can be found and also jobs your wife can do, do an eligibility for yourself and your proposed wife,use the CRS tool to check what you're scores will likely be and research on the express entry process here

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by deeplow: 12:22pm On Apr 01, 2018
hayor2014:

I don't think anyone can answer these questions for you,you need to do a research on job availability,and the cities where they can be found and also jobs your wife can do, do an eligibility for yourself and your proposed wife,use the CRS tool to check what you're scores will likely be and research on the express entry process here

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Thanks sir.
I have done that, I came up with 456. How long before visa expires after getting PR? Asking, so I can be really tight on spending, while working during the validity of the visa, save as much money as possible to start a business here, which I will have my dad supervise when I travel.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Saintp(m): 12:53pm On Apr 01, 2018
Canadahelper:

As someone who studies software eng here and has worked at a few tech companies , I’ll say programming is 50% interest and you’re good

For most of the tech jobs Ive had , sure I had an overall familiarly with software concepts , principles and software patterns but the actual tech stack I always pick up on the job and at time of the interviews I didn’t know.

So what i’m saying is if you’re new to it rather than dive straight to a language , understand the fundamental principles , design patterns , and architectures and learning a language or framework would be very easy.

If anyone coming to canada will be looking for a software developer or designer or programmer job , I can let you know what the interview style for tech jobs are and what the interviewers generally want to hear .

Also lastly the most in demand tech stack right now : Ecmascript 2016 (updated Javascript) , Node JS , React JS , Express , MongoDB, Angular JS , Python and Ruby .. my fellow tech bros and sis focus on these if you’re tryna pick up a new skill and you can be sure of at least 70k cad at least in ottawa and toronto

What about C# programmers? Are they not in demand like ones you listed?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dremca(m): 12:54pm On Apr 01, 2018
Which university in Nigeria teach all these
simiolu1:

these

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Pronmix(m): 1:00pm On Apr 01, 2018
simiolu1:

Good day brother, is there anyway I can get this curriculum you're writing for this person, trying to learn web development but always loose interest along the way because I don't have a pathway to follow, most teaching sites mostly dive into teaching the language it self and I loose concentration along the line. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by WoodcrestMayor(m): 1:06pm On Apr 01, 2018
Guys!!!

I will be landing later in the year and my biggest concern is switching fields.
Done banking for 3.5yrs and I'm not cut of the traditional banking anymore.Not saying i can't fit into the banking system cos there are so many department s in banking.
Business analysis has been tickling my fancy for a whole now and i'lld love to give it a shot.
BAs in the house,any pointers to help a brother crossover smoothly?

P.S. I did marketing for 1.5yrs and operations for 2yrs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 1:48pm On Apr 01, 2018
salford1:

You would find systematic racism in every western country or city. Quebec is no exception.

It's ironic that while some are complaining about racism holding them down in Quebec, you would also find succesful black immigrants in their chosen career living and working in the same Quebec.

Sure. Even in Nigeria, we have our own forms too. It happens everywhere but I had to highlight the present reality of the province. Whoever wants to make it anywhere will even if it's Russia. The more these issues are discussed, the more the barriers are broken. Everyone has what they are searching for but it's good to give them some pointers.

Cameroon is currently facing their Anglo vs Franco issue and we know what influence France still has in W. AFRICA. Btw, that brother there is from Niger; Nigerians should take the French thing seriously. We can't be calling Ghana neighbors because we can't hear what Togo/Benin says lol.

elhey:
Calgary only for Alberta. E no reach Edmonton.lol cry

Sorry, come closer to town. Lol

BTW, just read a newsletter from them where they introduced drones to do 360° view of the household items instead of just relying on pictures.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by processrxtn: 4:21pm On Apr 01, 2018
Canadahelper:

Hi Canadahelper!

I just PMed you...I need to make some clarifications !
please reply
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadahelper: 5:55pm On Apr 01, 2018
Saintp:

What about C# programmers? Are they not in demand like ones you listed?

You can definitely still get a job as a C# programmer but for every 10 postings , only about 2 mention C#. The point is as a programmer / dev you shouldn’t care too much about any specific language . Almost every company uses a different tech stack so you need to be willing to switch it up , all you need is solid grasp of the fundamentals. in fact in a lot of interviews for the technical challenge they usually give you the option to code in any language you like. Unless the position is like Java developer or Javascript developer then they limit you to that

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 6:45pm On Apr 01, 2018
Pronmix:

Good day brother, is there anyway I can get this curriculum you're writing for this person, trying to learn web development but always loose interest along the way because I don't have a pathway to follow, most teaching sites mostly dive into teaching the language it self and I loose concentration along the line. Thank you.

It's a curriculum focused on Web development using Python as the back-end language. Of course it includes HTML, CSS and JS. But the CSS part is just the basics so that the person would be able to read HTML and CSS. The focus is really on JavaScript and Python.

Dremca:
Which university in Nigeria teach all these

You say? Most Nigerian universities still teach using FORTRAN, BASIC, Pascal etc. So the curriculum is really outdated. So if you want to learn these stuff, you'll have to learn them outside the walls of the university.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Pronmix(m): 6:52pm On Apr 01, 2018
simiolu1:

It's a curriculum focused on Web development using Python as the back-end language. Of course it includes HTML, CSS and JS. But the CSS part is just the basics so that the person would be able to read HTML and CSS. The focus is really on JavaScript and Python.

That's good, is there a way I can get this curriculum then?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 7:46pm On Apr 01, 2018
deeplow:

Thanks sir.
I have done that, I came up with 456. How long before visa expires after getting PR? Asking, so I can be really tight on spending, while working during the validity of the visa, save as much money as possible to start a business here, which I will have my dad supervise when I travel.

Name basis only... .no sir/ma
You will have exactly one year from the day you do your medicals,meaning if your whole process from AOR to PPR takes 4months(no lag between submission and medicals), you will have 8 months to pack your bag and leave the country,but I will say start saving already cos of your POF,application and RPRF fee...I hope I have been able to make sense. Your family size will determine your POF, depending on your zeal for this, are you sure you want to start a long term business at this point
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 8:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
hayor2014:

You will have exactly one year from the day you do your medicals,meaning if your whole process from AOR to PPR takes 4months(no lag between submission and medicals), you will have 8 months to pack your bag and leave the country,but I will say start saving already cos of your POF,application and RPRF fee...I hope I have been able to make sense. Your family size will determine your POF, depending on your zeal for this, are you sure you want to start a long term business at this point

He earns 1.2m a month and lives in Maiduguri (low cost of living). Money is no object.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:59pm On Apr 01, 2018
4712A6:

Sure. Even in Nigeria, we have our own forms too. It happens everywhere but I had to highlight the present reality of the province. Whoever wants to make it anywhere will even if it's Russia. The more these issues are discussed, the more the barriers are broken. Everyone has what they are searching for but it's good to give them some pointers.

Cameroon is currently facing their Anglo vs Franco issue and we know what influence France still has in W. AFRICA. Btw, that brother there is from Niger; Nigerians should take the French thing seriously. We can't be calling Ghana neighbors because we can't hear what Togo/Benin says lol.

Sorry, come closer to town. Lol

BTW, just read a newsletter from them where they introduced drones to do 360° view of the household items instead of just relying on pictures.
I am not sure what you meant by the present reality of the province though. I was told same before i moved to sask from alberta for work. I was even told by white folks originally from sask that it is not a place for black people, it is extremely cold, full of rednecks, it is highly racist due to the mostly white population being descendants of polish and germans lol, yet the growth I achieved in 1 year in sask, i dont think I achieved same in 3 - 4 years in less racist redneck Alberta .

My point is that irrespective of whatever report one hears about a place, it is always good to give it a good thought and also remember that circumstances may be different for people.

In addition, the French are very tolerant of others else montreal won't be one of the most culturally diverse city in Canada. Have you seen the line up of the french football team? I can't think of a more diverse football team in Europe.

But hey, what do I know. I do not live in Quebec neither have I been to the province. It would be nice to hear the opinions of those that actually live and work there.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by WoodcrestMayor(m): 11:02pm On Apr 01, 2018
WoodcrestMayor:
Guys!!!

I will be landing later in the year and my biggest concern is switching fields.
Done banking for 3.5yrs and I'm not cut of the traditional banking anymore.Not saying i can't fit into the banking system cos there are so many department s in banking.
Business analysis has been tickling my fancy for a whole now and i'lld love to give it a shot.
BAs in the house,any pointers to help a brother crossover smoothly?

P.S. I did marketing for 1.5yrs and operations for 2yrs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 12:08am On Apr 02, 2018
Tojued:

He earns 1.2m a month and lives in Maiduguri (low cost of living). Money is no object.

IMO....Siddon in Nigeria....with that kind of income

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:03am On Apr 02, 2018
Deleted
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:15am On Apr 02, 2018
Anyone interested in learning the Javascript stack and building a career as a Javascript developer should visit freecodecamp dot com. It is free and has a very rich curriculum. You'd learn from ground up.

Programming is not for the faint hearted. You have to put solid hours into it for at least 6 months to get started at all. If you are consistent, you could be dangerous within a year grin. The hustle will eventually pay off if you don't give up.

23 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 3:18am On Apr 02, 2018
XX01:

Don't let the money cloud your reasoning. Even if you start lower, you will eventually get there as long as you are hardworking and ready to do what it takes. My husband earns close to what you do and I earned a decent sum but we've left everything because it's not all about money. Other people might not understand but you know what you want out of life. Again, money is not everything.

CC Deeplow
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by deeplow: 6:57am On Apr 02, 2018
Tojued:

CC Deeplow

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by deeplow: 6:59am On Apr 02, 2018
hayor2014:

Thanks bro. I definitely still have a lot of thinking to do.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by aworldcitizen: 7:27am On Apr 02, 2018
Thank you Salford for this. Very encouraging. Reason we are considering Montreal is because of the low cost of living and quality of life. Housing & child care is very low.

I know A1 basic French and I am already attending classes to get to B2.

I have a friend who moved from Toronto to the West land part of Montreal who has a lot of positive story.

It will end in praise for us all.

salford1:

My point is that irrespective of whatever report one hears about a place, it is always good to give it a good thought and also remember that circumstances may be different for people.

In addition, the French are very tolerant of others else montreal won't be one of the most culturally diverse city in Canada. Have you seen the line up of the french football team? I can't think of a more diverse football team in Europe.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rickywowoz: 8:26am On Apr 02, 2018
salford1:

I am not sure what you meant by the present reality of the province though. I was told same before i moved to sask from alberta for work. I was even told by white folks originally from sask that it is not a place for black people, it is extremely cold, full of rednecks, it is highly racist due to the mostly white population being descendants of polish and germans lol, yet the growth I achieved in 1 year in sask, i dont think I achieved same in 3 - 4 years in less racist redneck Alberta .

But hey, what do I know. I do not live in Quebec neither have I been to the province. It would be nice to hear the opinions of those that actually live and work there.
I
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:49am On Apr 02, 2018
Rickywowoz:
I live in Regina and my gf is of core white of polish and french descent but the whole family dey she me plenty love that they got me plenty xmas gifts. And today, i was invited to a family supper where we ate and drank, her grandma still got me easter gift. I don't believe in hearsay, i go to any province i want and don't pay attention to the racism talks.

Maybe your bed game is tight and them hear about am grin Or could be a case of Get Out (watch the film). grin

Lol I kid.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:25pm On Apr 02, 2018
Canadianfly:

Maybe your bed game is tight and them hear about am grin Or could be a case of Get Out (watch the film). grin

Lol I kid.
Too much energy in za other room. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by njbybrthnly: 1:53pm On Apr 02, 2018
Get Out...epic movie!

Canadianfly:

Lol I kid.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.