Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (266) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980653 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:40am On Apr 04, 2018
Sasng7:
Long epistles on racism and what not....phew...can we go back to the timelines?
And settlement info....banks,schools,hospitals...
The gist is interesting...but we're digressing at a 180 angle.

Mea coulpa
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 9:27am On Apr 04, 2018
erm...mazi...wetin you find go china, biko? if na moni, tell your boys o...we sef we wanto hammer...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
salford1:

Racism is a huge topic, so i try to avoid discussing it especially on this thread. We can go on and on. My point is that no province is immune to racism. It's like flogging a dead horse. I have a friend earning 250k per year here in sask. He is a doctor. He believes his co workers hate him cos he is black and wants to move to Alberta. i asked him what is the guarantee that Alberta would be better? Funny what thoughts of racism can do to people.

I lived there and there are alot of red necks too.
The reason i even responded is because one poster was thinking of visiting Quebec and wanted people to expantiate on what to expect.haba is it that bad? When people haven't visited some other provinces in Canada, they think they are having it worse than others. I doubt if Quebec would be more racist that the texas of the North. I cant even imagine the haitians flooding into quebec change their mind and flock into Alberta or Sask, the whites in the prairie would probably call for Trudeaus head.
It became big news in the west when 2 ghanaians walked across the border into manitoba, what if they were thousands? Quebecois must really have a thick skin.
I wonder if people in quebec fly the confederate flag like they sometimes do in Alberta or Sask?
But then again i have never been to quebec. maybe the french are really that bad.
At the end of d day, its good to discuss about topics like this aslong as people reading dont have a believe that racism would hold them back. That was one of d things d original poster pointed out. Texas is in the deep south, percieved as a racist state by a lot of Americans, yet Nigerians succeed in this state and Georgia than most other states in the US.

As per the Uk, they practice both. Instituitional racism(covert or systematic) and straight in your face type of racism. They are the master of the game. i lived there for over 7 years.

I like your positive attitude. Kudos!
When I see some Nigerians complaining about racism, I always wonder what they have done to eradicate the tribalism in Nigeria. IMHO, tribalism is worse than racism.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jabanobi: 1:53pm On Apr 04, 2018
QSola:

I saw 2 days PM training sometimes ago. I will tag you if i see something similar again
Thanks. Hope to hear from you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 2:45pm On Apr 04, 2018
DaddyTheFather:
erm...mazi...wetin you find go china, biko? if na moni, tell your boys o...we sef we wanto hammer...

Bros na book oh.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kay2011(m): 4:43pm On Apr 05, 2018
Long post Alert. Make una no vex abeg.

We got our PPR on the 25th October 2017. Got our Visas and COPR in December 2017. I enrolled with Acces Employment Pre-Arrival services in December 2017. I attended a lot of webinars, read through my modules, did my assignments. They worked on my Nigeria CV and turn it into a Canadian styled resume. At the completion of the modules, I was assigned a Job Developer – his role was to work with me to get a job.

I arrived in Ontario on March 2nd, 2018 and when I got to my hotel and switched on my phone, I realized I had 2 mails from my job developer:
1. He wanted to confirm if I was in-transit and I should let him know once I landed.
2. He wanted to know if he should forward my resume to a TD Bank recruiter.
I replied the mails in affirmative. See this guy o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the following happened:
March 5th, 2018 – I got a screening assessment from TD Bank which I completed the same day
March 6th, 2018 – I got a telephone call from a TD Bank recruiter scheduling a phone interview for March 7th, 2018
March 7th, 2018 – I did my Telephone interview. It was interesting though.
March 12th, 2018 – Got an email for an In-Person interview for Thursday March 15th, 2018.
March 15th, 2018 - I went for the In-Person interview at TD Bank office at Yorkdale. It was a panel interview of 2 interviewers. One of my interviewers said “You were highly recommended by the people at Acces Employment”. The interview took like 2 hours. I was drained when I left the place.
March 19th, 2018 – Got a telephone call that I passed the interview and I should get a mail from TD Bank’s HR to know what the next step was.
March 20th, 2018 – Got a telephone call from HR that I was being offered a role, I should get my offer letter and other documents within the next 2-3 working days
March 22nd, 2018 – Got the offer letter, I accepted the offer and background checks were initiated.
March 24th, 2018 - Background check started by First Advantage. Loads of forms to run through. I was told it might take up to 1 month to conclude the background check process.
April 5th, 2018 – Got a telephone call from TD Bank to discuss my start date.

The role is an entry level position but it affords me the opportunity to start a career in this country. I intend to do my certification exams within the next 6 months.

The purpose of this post is to emphasis the importance of[b] PRE-ARRIVAL programs[/b]. These programs are free and there for us to utilize. Please, let us try and take advantage of these programs.

Got a class to attend now. I promise to share this journey with you guys as it unfolds.
Have a great day all.

103 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jangirova: 4:52pm On Apr 05, 2018
@kay2011, congratulations !

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:07pm On Apr 05, 2018
kay2011:

We got our PPR on the 25th October 2017. Got our Visas and COPR in December 2017. I enrolled with Acces Employment Pre-Arrival services in December 2017. I attended a lot of webinars, read through my modules, did my assignments. They worked on my Nigeria CV and turn it into a Canadian styled resume. At the completion of the modules, I was assigned a Job Developer – his role was to work with me to get a job.

I arrived in Ontario on March 2nd, 2018 and when I got to my hotel and switched on my phone, I realized I had 2 mails from my job developer:
1. He wanted to confirm if I was in-transit and I should let him know once I landed.

The purpose of this post is to emphasis the importance of[b] PRE-ARRIVAL programs[/b]. These programs are free and there for us to utilize. Please, let us try and take advantage of these programs.

Got a class to attend now. I promise to share this journey with you guys as it unfolds.
Have a great day all.

Congratulations to the latest soldier in North York! All the best ahead.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Merovingian: 5:17pm On Apr 05, 2018
kay2011:

March 15th, 2018 - I went for the In-Person interview at TD Bank office at Yorkdale. It was a panel interview of 2 interviewers. One of my interviewers said “You were highly recommended by the people at Acces Employment”. The interview took like 2 hours. I was drained when I left the place.

Congratulations

Can you share the transcript for the phone interview and nature of question/discussion from the in-person session. The one you remember can help prepare people in your field for a better experience grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 5:35pm On Apr 05, 2018
Congratulations.
Please can you share with us the specific pre-arrival programme you went through?

Thanks.

kay2011:

March 5th, 2018 – I got a screening assessment from TD Bank which I completed the same day
March 6th, 2018 – I got a telephone call from a TD Bank recruiter scheduling a phone interview for March 7th, 2018
March 12th, 2018 – Got an email for an In-Person interview for Thursday March 15th, 2018.
March 19th, 2018 – Got a telephone call that I passed the interview and I should get a mail from TD Bank’s HR to know what the next step was.
March 20th, 2018 – Got a telephone call from HR that I was being offered a role, I should get my offer letter and other documents within the next 2-3 working days
March 22nd, 2018 – Got the offer letter, I accepted the offer and background checks were initiated.
March 24th, 2018 - Background check started by First Advantage. Loads of forms to run through. I was told it might take up to 1 month to conclude the background check process.

The role is an entry level position but it affords me the opportunity to start a career in this country. I intend to do my certification exams within the next 6 months.

Have a great day all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kay2011(m): 5:54pm On Apr 05, 2018
laborel:
Congratulations.
Please can you share with us the specific pre-arrival programme you went through?

Thanks.

I went through the Canadian Employment Connection Program - Sales & marketing by Acces Employment.

I did most of the module studies with loads of webinars while I was in Lagos.

22 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kay2011(m): 6:03pm On Apr 05, 2018
Merovingian:

Congratulations

Can you share the transcript for the phone interview and nature of question/discussion from the in-person session. The one you remember can help prepare people in your field for a better experience grin

The interview was basically about situational questions - ' tell me about a time when' .....................................

Why you feel you are a good fit for the job?

Tell us about yourself?

It was all about bringing your interpersonal skills to the fore

Sorry, I can't remember much of it

Thanks

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Merovingian: 6:34pm On Apr 05, 2018
kay2011:

The interviews was basically about situational questions - ' tell me about a time when' .....................................

Thanks for sharing.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Patterns18: 6:43pm On Apr 05, 2018
Finally combed thru 265 pages of this thread, quite informative.
Good manners demand I say Thank you to all that gave valuable information freely. One can't over emphasize the value of experience, either learn from yourself or others, the latter is definitely better.

So, a huge Thanks to @Oohunt(Starting this thread) @salford @TheCongo2@Blackbuddy @Ballerz @Nogen @Canadianfly @Vcole @Wura27 @Maternal @czaratwork (Hope I got that right) @Nobody @Funsion23 @Xx01 @Slowlybtsurely @Maziude(speaks chinese)and so many others, you are all appreciated.

For my status, awaiting COPR, soft landing in June.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:55pm On Apr 05, 2018
Thanks @patterns18. Congrats @kay2011!

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Sasng7: 8:11am On Apr 06, 2018
kay2011:

Have a great day all.
...And we're back in business. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 10:48am On Apr 06, 2018
Congrats @ Kay2011 and to Patterns, Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2018
@kay2011 thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by FSOFF: 3:30am On Apr 07, 2018
Hello house,

Just a quick one, please I want to find anyone knows about one leaving Canada before PR card arrives and for one reason or the other there is a delay in sending the card. I know one can get a single trip travel document back into Canada. I just want to know if anyone has an idea of how long it takes to get this travel document back into Canada.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 6:57am On Apr 07, 2018
FSOFF:
Hello house,

Just a quick one, please I want to find anyone knows about one leaving Canada before PR card arrives and for one reason or the other there is a delay in sending the card. I know one can get a single trip travel document back into Canada. I just want to know if anyone has an idea of how long it takes to get this travel document back into Canada.

Thanks.

You can read up on the processing times here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jydo: 9:50am On Apr 07, 2018
FSOFF:
Hello house,

Thanks.

you can get the travel documents in less than a week.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 5:17pm On Apr 07, 2018
Hello Nairaland Fam,

Landed in Toronto 3 days ago.

***FLIGHT***
Flew KLM. There was some issue at the time of boarding regarding excess hand luggage, but we survived. No excess check-in luggage - we had two bags of 23kg each.

Flight duration was about 6 hrs to Amsterdam, 4 hrs layover, and 7 hrs to Toronto. Landed 11AM.

Point to note: KLM weighs your hand luggage before you board (all your bags are placed on the scale and must not exceed 12Kg, ie, back pack plus any other bag together)

***LANDING***
Landing experience was okay.

One thing has changed though - there is no longer a need to fill the landing card. When you land, you go to a computer and fill in your landing details + any thing to declare, and you get a print out which you will eventually show to customs.

We had our passports checked and proceeded to the immigration officers who collected our COPRs (both copies), asked a few routine questions and asked us to sit and wait. In about 15 mins time, our names were called and we collected our copies (one copy each) all signed and stamped and ready to go.

Next, we proceeded to Service Canada to get our SIN. This took a while, about one hour - mainly due to crowd - and we were off to pick our bags. We got our bags and were directed to customs.

Customs asked how much we had in hand, and collected two copies of our "Goods Accompanying list", We stated that we had no additional goods to follow. They didn't check our bags 'since we declared what we were carrying - meat, fish, etc'. After a few mins (10 - 15mins), we were issued a 'receipt' for the goods accompanying, and we were welcomed to Canada and ushered in.

We got a taxi outside to take us to our Airbnb in North York (taxi cost CAD59). That's where we are now. Got bank accounts opened, and got mobile numbers. The welcoming weather has not been the best, but hey, it's Canada... cold is synonymous with Canada.

Point to note: Change your USD to CAD in the airport, the taxis won't accept USD conversion. They will however accept the same cmount whether it is USD or CAD, so if your bill is say CAD 50, they will gladly accept USD 50, but then you will be losing.

***WHAT NOW?***

Now looking for apartments, and the credit score is a real downer.

Anybody who can help with alternatives, info on available 2 b/r apartments in Toronto, agents that are willing to consider newcomers, or general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 7:14pm On Apr 07, 2018
Hi.

My husband sent to this particular email and the other one several times. Not one sinle response. Lucky for us... he knows a friend who works there and he was told he would have to pay 35k before he would get the letter. We have paid and have been informed we will get the letter on tuesday.
4712A6:

This FRSC letter makes me smh at times. What is your right go come be like say you go beg.

Send an email to info@frsc.gov.ng. Let me know if they respond.

I know some people said they stopped responding to the other email but use the info one first and let's see how it goes.

The other thing is to try get someone's contact in their office to help follow up. The letter usually takes about 3 days to complete. No matter who you use, you still need to make it official by sending an email or letter so they have records.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 7:30pm On Apr 07, 2018
My people, please just send email to all three mailboxes below:

info@frsc.gov.ng, NDLVerification@frsc.gov.ng, helpdesk@frsc.gov.ng

I noticed that when I escalated to especially the NDLVerification email, I got response. You don't need to pay. And also don't need to shout.
If they have not responded to you for months or so, just send a follow up and beg them. I did and got a response to pick up next day.

If you have ever gotten any feedback with a mobile number, call and ask the person to please help.

kachikapor:
Hi.

My husband sent to this particular email and the other one several times. Not one sinle response. Lucky for us... he knows a friend who works there and he was told he would have to pay 35k before he would get the letter. We have paid and have been informed we will get the letter on tuesday.

13 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caseynewnn: 7:45pm On Apr 07, 2018
eddycross:
Hello Nairaland Fam,

Landed in Toronto 3 days ago.

***FLIGHT***
Flew KLM. There was some issue at the time of boarding regarding excess hand luggage, but we survived. No excess check-in luggage - we had two bags of 23kg each.

Flight duration was about 6 hrs to Amsterdam, 4 hrs layover, and 7 hrs to Toronto. Landed 11AM.

Point to note: KLM weighs your hand luggage before you board (all your bags are placed on the scale and must not exceed 12Kg, ie, back pack plus any other bag together)

***LANDING***
Landing experience was okay.

One thing has changed though - there is no longer a need to fill the landing card. When you land, you go to a computer and fill in your landing details + any thing to declare, and you get a print out which you will eventually show to customs.

We had our passports checked and proceeded to the immigration officers who collected our COPRs (both copies), asked a few routine questions and asked us to sit and wait. In about 15 mins time, our names were called and we collected our copies (one copy each) all signed and stamped and ready to go.

Next, we proceeded to Service Canada to get our SIN. This took a while, about one hour - mainly due to crowd - and we were off to pick our bags. We got our bags and were directed to customs.

Customs asked how much we had in hand, and collected two copies of our "Goods Accompanying list", We stated that we had no additional goods to follow. They didn't check our bags 'since we declared what we were carrying - meat, fish, etc'. After a few mins (10 - 15mins), we were issued a 'receipt' for the goods accompanying, and we were welcomed to Canada and ushered in.

We got a taxi outside to take us to our Airbnb in North York (taxi cost CAD59). That's where we are now. Got bank accounts opened, and got mobile numbers. The welcoming weather has not been the best, but hey, it's Canada... cold is synonymous with Canada.

Point to note: Change your USD to CAD in the airport, the taxis won't accept USD conversion. They will however accept the same cmount whether it is USD or CAD, so if your bill is say CAD 50, they will gladly accept USD 50, but then you will be losing.

***WHAT NOW?***

Now looking for apartments, and the credit score is a real downer.

Anybody who can help with alternatives, info on available 2 b/r apartments in Toronto, agents that are willing to consider newcomers, or general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

congrats.wishing u d best in Canada.pls if I may ask,what were d routine questions asked
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 7:58pm On Apr 07, 2018
Thanks.

Routine questions were:
- Have you ever been convicted of a criminal/offence
- Have you ever been refused entry to Canada, or required to leave Canada?
- Do you have any other family members other than the ones listed (on your COPR)?
- Has the configuration of your family changed since being issued the COPR?

All these questions are listed on the COPR though, they read them out, wrote down the answers, and asked us to sign against the answers.

caseynewnn:
congrats.wishing u d best in Canada.pls if I may ask,what were d routine questions asked

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 8:01pm On Apr 07, 2018
Yes, i'm also interested in this particualr conversation. I'm moving to Montreal with my husband soon and from research, the city seems more affordable than Toronto. The only drawback is the language policy.I would appreciate if those in Quebec and especially Montreal can shed more light to this topic. Thank you
Iyamefa:

I’m interested in this gist cos I’ve heard something about this before. We all know Quebec is almost not in Canada. They have almost everything owned separately from the rest of Canada. The tension between the Montreal stock exchange and toronto stock exchange made me laugh. I know they’re a couple of peeps here in Quebec. Please come and expantiate on this. I would love to take a vacation to Montreal soon. Let me know what to expect.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 8:47pm On Apr 07, 2018
kachikapor:
Hi.

35k? You had better pass the G1 first time and the G road test first time as well. If not, your money was a waste.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:32pm On Apr 07, 2018
Pls who helped with ur migration.. I want to move with my kids.. My husband isn't going yet.. I need help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 9:41pm On Apr 07, 2018
kachikapor:

Yes, i'm also interested in this particualr conversation. I'm moving to Montreal with my husband soon and from research, the city seems more affordable than Toronto. The only drawback is the language policy.I would appreciate if those in Quebec and especially Montreal can shed more light to this topic. Thank you

There's an English community in Montreal. You can do well in Montreal as an English speaking person.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rchilee: 9:49pm On Apr 07, 2018
phimaky:
Pls who helped with ur migration.. I want to move with my kids.. My husband isn't going yet.. I need help

Read page zero (0 ) of this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/545#66490160

(1) (2) (3) ... (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.