Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,420 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (265) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980732 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
salford1:

I am not sure what you meant by the present reality of the province though. I was told same before i moved to sask from alberta for work. I was even told by white folks originally from sask that it is not a place for black people, it is extremely cold, full of rednecks, it is highly racist due to the mostly white population being descendants of polish and germans lol, yet the growth I achieved in 1 year in sask, i dont think I achieved same in 3 - 4 years in less racist redneck Alberta .

My point is that irrespective of whatever report one hears about a place, it is always good to give it a good thought and also remember that circumstances may be different for people.

In addition, the French are very tolerant of others else montreal won't be one of the most culturally diverse city in Canada. Have you seen the line up of the french football team? I can't think of a more diverse football team in Europe.

But hey, what do I know. I do not live in Quebec neither have I been to the province. It would be nice to hear the opinions of those that actually live and work there.

Please dont be deceived with the lineup on the French
National team as as indication of diversity. In 1998, 2002, 2006 the Fench national team was made of more than 90% of players of African origin. However out of 400 seats on the French senat, you had ZERO black. In other words, the black man in France is only been used in the world of entertainment and he isn't equally represented in politic.

And when you look on the African continent, the English speaking countries are much more advanced than the French colonies. Where do you find most of the wars in Africa? Do you remember the genocide in Rwanda? Do you know the role played by France in rhat genocide? Do you know that Rwanda has switched its official language to English?
Which europpean country helped Biafra during the war?
Trust me, French are one of the most racist people on the planet. I can prove that to you with facts.

I wonder where you get the notion that Quebecois are tolerant. For the most part French Quebecois dont tolerate anyone who doesn't speak French. They may even know English and speak it very well but they would prefer not to talk to you if you don't speak French. Even some French immigrants complaint that have been marginalized in Quebec because of their "Parisien" accent. The French world is a crazy one. Been a French Canadian myself of African origin, I prefer by far living in the English part of Canada. There is a growing English community in Montreal, therefore you may live in Montreal without facing some of the BS of French Quebecois.

I have been in North America for close to 29 years. To my recollection, I have been called a nigger 3 times, 2 times in Quebec and 1 times in Champlain, Vermont during a school trip for a soccer game. (I went to school in New York State). Champlain, Vermont is next is near the Quebec borderline. I guess those people share the same mentality. I never been called a Nigger in the English side of Canada.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2018
It's just an issue of personal experiences and research. If you are conversant with what the French are still doing in West Africa, it'll show you a true reflection of what or how they perceive the blacks. Let's all be conscious of international politics even though the English are not saints either.

I like that you pointed the issue of football team but that's like sprinting or BBall to US. Let's look at the deeper issues and reflect well. Like I said, there's no easy place to make it but just be informed about the issues. Did you read the comments on that CBC report? It tells a lot of what they presently face.

Quebec still challenges Canada (or Ontario) on a lot of issues. They want to pretend that they're cool but the evidences speak otherwise.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:04pm On Apr 02, 2018
Oh well. To each his own.

My mention of the french team implies that at least they were tolerant enough to include blacks and other nationalities into their national teams compared to other European Countries. Also, Montreal is tolerant enough to have a diverse and highly multicultural population.

At the end of the day, if you search for racism or percieve people as being racist, you would surely find it.

Have I encountered racists in Alberta? Yes
Have I encountered racists in Saskatchewan? Yes.

Was the word nigga used in one of the encounters? Yes
Have I heard conplaints about my accent? Yes
Hence, the english speaking part of Canada is not an exception to some of the issues raised about Quebec.

A quick search on google would also bring up racists encounters all accross Canada.

Alberta and Sask also challenges ottawa on a lot issues. That is just a Canadian thing. If Quebec acknowledges systematic racism, that is good. Atleast they are admitting the presence of such. Other provinces or countries would not even admit the existense of systematic racism or entertain a discussion on such.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 6:53pm On Apr 02, 2018
salford1:
Oh well. To each his own.

My mention of the french team implies that at least they were tolerant enough to include blacks and other nationalities into their national teams compared to other European Countries. Also, Montreal is tolerant enough to have a diverse and highly multicultural population.

At the end of the day, if you search for racism or percieve people as being racist, you would surely find it.

Have I encountered racists in Alberta? Yes
Have I encountered racists in Saskatchewan? Yes.

Was the word nigga used in one of the encounters? Yes
Have I heard conplaints about my accent? Yes
Hence, the english speaking part of Canada is not an exception to some of the issues raised about Quebec.

A quick search on google would also bring up racists encounters all accross Canada.

Alberta and Sask also challenges ottawa on a lot issues. That is just a Canadian thing. If Quebec acknowledges systematic racism, that is good. Atleast they are admitting the presence of such. Other provinces or countries would not even admit the existense of systematic racism or entertain a discussion on such.

I like your positive attitude, but must say you've used quite a poor example. The French national team is actually something which has been used to criticise France. Immigrants are not welcome in real life, but in soccer where such diversity benefits France, they ignore how important the 'French culture' is.

Generally while European colonialists are inherently evil, with the Belgians and Portuguese particularly devilish in the past, and the French still actively and openly working against Africa's progress. At least the British are covert in their intentions.

But what do I know? Because if we continue such theorising, we might realise that skilled migration is just away of keeping developing countries down... By intently skimming off their best talents.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 7:08pm On Apr 02, 2018
Double post

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:26pm On Apr 02, 2018
Tojued:

I like your positive attitude, but must say you've used quite a poor example. The French national team is actually something which has been used to criticise France. Immigrants are not welcome in real life, but in soccer where such diversity benefits France, they ignore how important the 'French culture' is.

Generally while European colonialists are inherently evil, with the Belgians and Portuguese particularly devilish in the past, and the French still actively and openly working against Africa's progress. At least the British are covert in their intentions.

But what do I know? Because if we continue such theorising, we might realise that skilled migration is just away of keeping developing countries down... By intently skimming off their best talents.

Racism is a huge topic, so i try to avoid discussing it especially on this thread. We can go on and on. My point is that no province is immune to racism. It's like flogging a dead horse. I have a friend earning 250k per year here in sask. He is a doctor. He believes his co workers hate him cos he is black and wants to move to Alberta. i asked him what is the guarantee that Alberta would be better? Funny what thoughts of racism can do to people.

I lived there and there are alot of red necks too.
The reason i even responded is because one poster was thinking of visiting Quebec and wanted people to expantiate on what to expect.haba is it that bad? When people haven't visited some other provinces in Canada, they think they are having it worse than others. I doubt if Quebec would be more racist that the texas of the North. I cant even imagine the haitians flooding into quebec change their mind and flock into Alberta or Sask, the whites in the prairie would probably call for Trudeaus head.
It became big news in the west when 2 ghanaians walked across the border into manitoba, what if they were thousands? Quebecois must really have a thick skin.
I wonder if people in quebec fly the confederate flag like they sometimes do in Alberta or Sask?
But then again i have never been to quebec. maybe the french are really that bad.
At the end of d day, its good to discuss about topics like this aslong as people reading dont have a believe that racism would hold them back. That was one of d things d original poster pointed out. Texas is in the deep south, percieved as a racist state by a lot of Americans, yet Nigerians succeed in this state and Georgia than most other states in the US.

As per the Uk, they practice both. Instituitional racism(covert or systematic) and straight in your face type of racism. They are the master of the game. i lived there for over 7 years.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 8:37pm On Apr 02, 2018
salford1:

At the end of d day, its good to discuss about topics like this aslong as people reading dont have a believe that racism would hold them back. That was one of d things d original poster pointed out. Texas is in the deep south, percieved as a racist state by a lot of Americans, yet Nigerians succeed in this state and Atlanta than most other states in the US.

Like I said, I like your positive attitude and agree with your views. My comment was solely on the French national team. Keep your posts coming, I enjoy them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:39pm On Apr 02, 2018
Tojued:

Like I said, I like your positive attitude and agree with your views. My comment was solely on the French national team. Keep your posts coming, I enjoy them.
I would rather live in france than live in Poland or Ukraine.lol
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Unlimited22: 9:06pm On Apr 02, 2018
salford1:

I would rather live in france than live in Poland or Ukraine.lol
Thanks.
Or Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Belarus or any o' them former USSR countries grin
Seriously, racism exists everywhere there are mixed races. The thing to do is learn from it, then ignore it.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KMBA: 11:58pm On Apr 02, 2018
salford1:

Racism is a huge topic, so i try to avoid discussing it especially on this thread. We can go on and on. My point is that no province is immune to racism. It's like flogging a dead horse. I have a friend earning 250k per year here in sask. He is a doctor. He believes his co workers hate him cos he is black and wants to move to Alberta. i asked him what is the guarantee that Alberta would be better? Funny what thoughts of racism can do to people.

I lived there and there are alot of red necks too.
The reason i even responded is because one poster was thinking of visiting Quebec and wanted people to expantiate on what to expect.haba is it that bad? When people haven't visited some other provinces in Canada, they think they are having it worse than others. I doubt if Quebec would be more racist that the texas of the North. I cant even imagine the haitians flooding into quebec change their mind and flock into Alberta or Sask, the whites in the prairie would probably call for Trudeaus head.
It became big news in the west when 2 ghanaians walked across the border into manitoba, what if they were thousands? Quebecois must really have a thick skin.
I wonder if people in quebec fly the confederate flag like they sometimes do in Alberta or Sask?
But then again i have never been to quebec. maybe the french are really that bad.
At the end of d day, its good to discuss about topics like this aslong as people reading dont have a believe that racism would hold them back. That was one of d things d original poster pointed out. Texas is in the deep south, percieved as a racist state by a lot of Americans, yet Nigerians succeed in this state and Georgia than most other states in the US.

As per the Uk, they practice both. Instituitional racism(covert or systematic) and straight in your face type of racism. They are the master of the game. i lived there for over 7 years.

Thank you for your analysis. I agree with you that it is widespread, more so than some people would want to admit by claiming it is prominent in one particular province. I believe that ultimately, human beings will always find something to discriminate against others for, even when they are of the same skin color! Case in point - Nigeria! All this one we are spending plenty time to talk about Quebec (where I live by the way), no be we we dey discriminate against the Ghanaians - on nothing less than jolly rice!? Are they of a different skin color? Not to talk less of the ethnic bias we have to deal with amongst ourselves. Racism will always be there, for some blockheads, the color of their skin is the only thing they can lay hold to especially in front of intelligent people who do not look like them...there is an element of fear and self-loathing in the notion, i think....but then that is just my position.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sparkle2k3: 12:09am On Apr 03, 2018
vcole:
it wouldn't count for PRA programs. Only 2yrs family medicine residency or 3yrs independent practice counts towards that .

Alright. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2018
The worst 'racists' are in Nigeria. I made a Distinction/ First class in my MA in Nigeria. I began my PhD in the same department the following year. There was a vacancy for people in my area of French studies in the department that year. Some lecturers asked that I got interviewed for the post. The then HOD said over his dead body that an Igbo be given a job in the department.

You people should spare me that racism story o. I know the support I have gotten from my Quebecois lecturers here. Some even volunteered to come help me babysit during weekends before my parents came. Nobody has ever called me Niga or used derogatory terms at me. In the course I struggled with at the beginning, The Quebecois lecturer in charge went extra miles to assist me in understanding the course. Biko, everyone should leave Québec alone.

How many of us here can go to Arab countries and live like we normally do? Can you go without covering your head and all that. The Northern part of Nigeria can be used as an example.

The Quebecois have laws and they simply want immigrants to work within the confines of their laws. Simple.

Imagine some group of people protesting that they don't want Pork meat sold in shops again! Haba? The French that permitted all sorts, how are they faring? The same way we are made to follow laws of some countries when we visit, so is Quebec.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:39pm On Apr 03, 2018
Nogen:
The worst 'racists' are in Nigeria. I made a Distinction/ First class in my MA in Nigeria. I began my PhD in the same department the following year. There was a vacancy for people in my area of French studies in the department that year. Some lecturers asked that I got interviewed for the post. The then HOD said over his dead body that an Igbo be given a job in the department.

You people should spare me that racism story o. I know the support I have gotten from my Quebecois lecturers here. Some even volunteered to come help me babysit during weekends before my parents came. Nobody has ever called me Niga or used derogatory terms at me. In the course I struggled with at the beginning, The Quebecois lecturer in charge went extra miles to assist me in understanding the course. Biko, everyone should leave Québec alone.

How many of us here can go to Arab countries and live like we normally do? Can you go without covering your head and all that. The Northern part of Nigeria can be used as an example.

The Quebecois have laws and they simply want immigrants to work within the confines of their laws. Simple.

Imagine some group of people protesting that they don't want Pork meat sold in shops again! Haba? The French that permitted all sorts, how are they faring? The same way we are made to follow laws of some countries when we visit, so is Quebec

The group of people protesting they don't want Pork meat sold in shops again, are they Canadian Citizens or they are just visitors on visa?

If the protesters are tourists then they have no right to protest.

If the protesters are Canadien citizens residing in Quebec which makes them Quebecois, then they have the right to voice their concern or opinion regardless of their ethnicity.
Each resident of a Province including Quebec has the fundamental right to vote, to ask for a change or ammendement in the law. Maybe the previous law was set to accomodate only a particular social group at certain time and given the actual diversity, the law may need to be changed

Adding to that, we are Canadian Citizens. Therefore, your argument about discrimination in Nigeria and conditions in arab countries has no merit here.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Goodskills: 2:48pm On Apr 03, 2018
Unlimited22:

Or Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Belarus or any o' them former USSR countries grin
Seriously, racism exists everywhere there are mixed races. The thing to do is learn from it, then ignore it.

racism is everywhere even within we Nigerians Yoruba don't like Igbo, Ogun-state don't like Ibadan.. its a everything something so just focus on what you want.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:51pm On Apr 03, 2018
Goodskills:

racism is everywhere even within we Nigerians Yoruba don't like Igbo, Ogun-state don't like Ibadan.. its a everything something so just focus on what you want.

But the point is that we live in Canada and not in Nigeria. So whatever happens in Nigeria shouldn't be an excuse to overlook racism in Canada

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Goodskills: 3:50pm On Apr 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

But the point is that we live in Canada and not in Nigeria. So whatever happens in Nigeria shouldn't be an excuse to overlook racism in Canada

Bro just telling you racism is everywhere in the world people tend to judge you based on your colour but pls don't let it get to you Canada is better than the European countries where it's even higher..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:16pm On Apr 03, 2018
Goodskills:

Bro just telling you racism is everywhere in the world people tend to judge you based on your colour but pls don't let it get to you Canada is better than the European countries where it's even higher..

I would never trade Canada for anything is the world.
But that doesn't mean I shouldn't speak up

I am afraid that in the mind of many, only white Canadians have the right to voice their opinion. And whenever someone of a manority group tries to do the same, this is where they started to point to him countries and cultures outside Canada as if to say Canada is for white only and minority has nothing to suggest or no ground of complaint in Canada. He should look elsewhere if he wants something better.
The fact is we are all Canadian citizens with the same rights and responsibilities.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:13pm On Apr 03, 2018
4712A6:
About moving to Quebec, I have not been there but I have someone there. My comments will only be based on research, news and what I have heard. Quebec is like putting France in Canada. There's some form of systemic racism there. Last year, the Mayor was challenged for feigning ignorance about what that means. Even the Arabs (Tunisia, Morocco and those countries who speak French) face some form of discrimination there. They may not say it openly but will do it indirectly. I was following a discussion panel on CBC that was discussing these issues. Imagine being told your French is foreign.

See more here: A minority within a minority: Quebec's struggle to face racism https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4567938

This is not to scare anyone but just be informed. For me I don't want to be in a city where a system will somehow limit my chances. The only thing attractive to me in the city is HEC in Montreal. Haha

Iyamefa:

I’m interested in this gist cos I’ve heard something about this before. We all know Quebec is almost not in Canada. They have almost everything owned separately from the rest of Canada. The tension between the Montreal stock exchange and toronto stock exchange made me laugh. I know they’re a couple of peeps here in Quebec. Please come and expantiate on this. I would love to take a vacation to Montreal soon. Let me know what to expect.
Original posts.
Reason why I replied that post. Even though poster 4712A6 as never lived in Quebec, he already has a feeling that one might not reach his full potential in Quebec. This is the kind of mentality we need to avoid when moving to a western country. Iyamefa is already believing that the quebec issue might be that bad enough; hence, she needs to know what to expect.lol

Don't worry iyamefa, as you might have read nogens post, you won't have to worry about people treating you bad cos of your skin complexion. Canada is not Europe where racists occurence are very common. You would do just fine if you decide to visit.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 5:23pm On Apr 03, 2018
salford1:

Original posts.
Reason why I replied that post. Even though poster 4712A6 as never lived in Quebec, he already has a feeling that one might not reach his full potential in Quebec. This is the kind of mentality we need to avoid when moving to a western country. Iyamefa is already believing that the quebec issue might be bad enough for her to know what to expect.lol
Two days before we left, a family friend spoke so bad of Quebec that I got scared. I quickly dismissed that bad feeling and believed that I will do well here and I will be favoured. Racism is everywhere. I am yet to witness it in my life. But I have seen worse even in Nigeria. The example I cited earlier was just one of the many.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2018
Nogen:

Two days before we left, a family friend spoke so bad of Quebec that I got scared. I quickly dismissed that bad feeling and believed that I will do well here and I will be favoured. Racism is everywhere. I am yet to witness it in my life. But I have seen worse even in Nigeria. The example I cited earlier was just one of the many.

Les Francais disent qui vivra verra.

You may not feel racism because blatant racism is almost none existent in Canada. I have indicated in my earlier post that I have been here for 29 years which is most of my life. And in those 29 years I had been called the n word only 2 times in as far as I can remember and a third time in the States.

I like your positive oulook of life. But, I am afraid that as times go by, you will start feeling the cumulative effect of subtle racism. I would love to talk to you in regard with the same subject 10 years from now to see if you will still ask people to leave Quebec alone.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2018
Nogen:

Fearmongering.

People always find something or someone to put a blame on and try to scare others.

Racism although exists everywhere in Canada, it should not really be a determinant on where to live or work. In these so called racist places, people do excel and do well. I would rather rise above hate instead of running from it. If life throws you a lemon, better to make a lemonade out of it.

Same way I got my first big break working in Europe. My family members that were born and bred in London advised me against moving outside London due to racism. Funny I also encountered racism in that same london from one grumpy miserable looking grandma on a dagenham bus. I moved up North, got an awesome job and enjoyed my life there. Although there were some racists encounters here and there.

I was told by black british flatmates that applying for a job in HSBC or any of the big banks was a waste of time since I was not white. I find it funny that long residents always find it easy to blame racism for alot of things. I consider that as noise. Oh well, I appied, God favoured me and I was interviewed by a white South African and two other northerners (a Mancunian and a Geordie). Somehow the interview turned into Bafana Bafana vs Super Eagles. My flatmates were shocked when my benefits package came in the post...

Did I encounter Instituitional racism at work, yes. But i still went on to become the 2nd best risk analyst in the NorthWest region of England and got awards for it. I had to work extra hard than my white colleagues.

Being widely travelled and lived in some western countries, I learnt not to quickly blame racism if something isn't working the way as planned but to rather evaluate myself and think if there was anything I was doing wrong or differently.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2018
Fast forward to Canada, I was highly discouraged from coming to Alberta or Sask. Sask and Alberta are usually seen by liberal minded people from the east as the most racist provinces in Canada, yet people of colour are doing very well here.

Oh well. Like I mentioned earlier, to each his own. You can decide to run from frying pan to fire or face any challenge you might encounter head on.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadahelper: 6:17pm On Apr 03, 2018
Wanted to add my 2cents on this racism issue . I’ve lived in Canada for close to 7years and in three different cities .

Are there individuals who are racist ? Absolutely. But the reality is they’re very irrelevant, sure you may have someone on the bus make a rude comment (although this has never happened to me) but really does that stop you getting a job or earning a living ? The answer is no

My advice is come here with an open mind.Its one of the biggest keys to success . Too often I see our naij folks come here and only stick to naij folks perhaps for fear of racism . This is the wrong approach , a lot of opportunities I’ve had some of which are life changing have come from networking with Non Nigerians and Non Africans .. and the funny thing on several occasions I’ve been asked why nigerians sometimes don’t like to interact and socialize with non nigerians .. you can imagine we are complaining of racism and yet we are the ones refusing to interact with other people

In fact I know people whose first interaction with a non nigerian is at a job interview and of course they mess up . people need to realize when employers mention communication skills it’s really not just whether you can speak English , it’s also does this person key in on certain jokes and how social will this person be if hired. To buttress this point , my very first internship I had the typical nigerian mentality of go to work , work hard and mind my business . At the end of the internship , my boss had to do an evaluation , he was full of praise BUT the only area of improvement he noted was “keeping to myself / not socializing enough “ .He was the one who told me here in canada you need to open minded and social because promotions and all aren’t necessarily based on who works the hardest but rather who is liked the most .

I know I digress a bit from racism but point being let’s all be open minded

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 6:27pm On Apr 03, 2018
Canadahelper:
Wanted to add my 2cents on this racism issue . I’ve lived in Canada for close to 7years and in three different cities .

Are there individuals who are racist ? Absolutely. But the reality is they’re very irrelevant, sure you may have someone on the bus make a rude comment (although this has never happened to me) but really does that stop you getting a job or earning a living ? The answer is no

My advice is come here with an open mind.Its one of the biggest keys to success . Too often I see our naij folks come here and only stick to naij folks perhaps for fear of racism . This is the wrong approach , a lot of opportunities I’ve had some of which are life changing have come from networking with Non Nigerians and Non Africans .. and the funny thing on several occasions I’ve been asked why nigerians sometimes don’t like to interact and socialize with non nigerians .. you can imagine we are complaining of racism and yet we are the ones refusing to interact with other people

In fact I know people whose first interaction with a non nigerian is at a job interview and of course they mess up . people need to realize when employers mention communication skills it’s really not just whether you can speak English , it’s also does this person key in on certain jokes and how social will this person be if hired. To buttress this point , my very first internship I had the typical nigerian mentality of go to work , work hard and mind my business . At the end of the internship , my boss had to do an evaluation , he was full of praise BUT the only area of improvement he noted was “keeping to myself / not socializing enough “ .He was the one who told me here in canada you need to open minded and social because promotions and all aren’t necessarily based on who works the hardest but rather who is liked the most .

I know I digress a bit from racism but point being let’s all be open minded

I absolutely agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 7:54pm On Apr 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

Les Francais disent qui vivra verra.

You may not feel racism because blatant racism is almost none existent in Canada. I have indicated in my earlier post that I have been here for 29 years which is most of my life. And in those 29 years I had been called the n word only 2 times in as far as I can remember and a third time in the States.

I like your positive oulook of life. But, I am afraid that as times go by, you will start feeling the cumulative effect of subtle racism. I would love to talk to you in regard with the same subject 10 years from now to see if you will still ask people to leave Quebec alone.

Guy, I have seen worst in my own country. I am very open-minded and it didn't stop me from attaining my goals. Until then, je vivrais en dessus de racisme . People should stop instilling fears in people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by peacengine(m): 8:23pm On Apr 03, 2018
I won't mind Canny but for di freezing weather, I'll pass.
Folks, there's no racism in Naija. We are all blacks and from the same race.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:32pm On Apr 03, 2018
Nogen:

Guy, I have seen worst in my own country. I am very open-minded and it didn't stop me from attaining my goals. Until then, je vivrais au dessus de racisme . People should stop instilling fears in people.

Salford1 suggested that the French are much more tolerant and I objected.
Is that what you call instilling fears in people?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:33pm On Apr 03, 2018
peacengine:
I won't mind Canny but for di freezing weather, I'll pass.

Folks, there's no racism in Naija. We are all blacks and from the same race.

What about discrimination?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by peacengine(m): 8:39pm On Apr 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

What about discrimination?

Good question bro. Racism is not in West Africa because we are all from the same race. As for discrimination, it exists everywhere in the whole wide world. There's no country on earth where discrimination based on one reason or the other does not exist but no racism in West Africa.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 9:38pm On Apr 03, 2018
Like most people rightly pointed out. Racism is everywhere. It just depends on how you react when a racist remark is made towards you.

I lived in China for 3 years and get to witness first class racism directed at me and other fellow blacks.

As time went by, I became the golden apple that even my Chinese lab mates had to insult any Chinese that made certain racist remarks towards me.

I remember being in a bus where the Chinese lady beside me was literally closing her nose all because of the notion that black smells pretty bad (lol). Another case is when, they refer to other foreigners as "laowai" or "wai guo ren" (which basically means foreigner) and a black man is called "hei ren" (which means black person and if you go deep it means being poor). I never allowed this to affect me even though I was aware of the existence of racism and racist remarks.

Then I got here. I went to a Chinese restaurant to have some noodles and one of the sales person told the other sales person in Chinese, "This black guy wants to buy something"; before she finished, I countered her and responded in Chinese "You should be careful how you address people". She became apologetic.

The fact is racism is here. Will it ever disappear? No as long as we have people who think they are better than others based on the color of their skins.

However, be yourself; you don't have to prove anybody right or wrong. Your color chose you not the other way round. And most importantly be aware that racism exists so that when someone makes any racist remark towards you, you just smile, move on and be better.

Peace...

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 11:36pm On Apr 03, 2018
Thanks Maziude. Exactly my point. It is everywhere. Nobody should make it sound it resides ONLY with a particular place alone.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Sasng7: 12:05am On Apr 04, 2018
Long epistles on racism and what not....phew...can we go back to the timelines?
And settlement info....banks,schools,hospitals...
The gist is interesting...but we're digressing at a 180 angle.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.