Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981985 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 1:03pm On Jul 21, 2017
Thank you so much. this thread is filled with warm people.
ifegy:

Pearson airport is actually in Mississauga. There is public transportation from the airport to the rest of Mississauga. Go to torontopearson dot com and search for 'public transportation'.
Temp accommodation: you could try searching on airbnb, kijiji, tripadvisor for short term rentals before you get here. If you can't get the place because you're not in the country, maybe plan for a budget hotel for a few days to either allow you meet the landlords in person and persuade them/give them comfort that you are real, or so you can let them know you are making the request while present in the country, not outside.
Cost of renting: try looking for rental listings on kijiji; rental listings at rentboard dot ca (can also sign up there for rental listing alerts). Generally, rent depends on the area; the nicer, the more costly. Miss. is a suburb of Toronto and is overall considered a 'nice' area. Perhaps budget at least 700 - 1,000. You can probably find ways to reduce this once you get used to the place.
Cost of living: there is a study on numbeo dot com on the cost of living in Canada. To be safe you might want to budget close to 1,000 a month on top of rent to cover public transit (get a monthly pass), food (try to do your own cooking, and buy suppliesfrom lower cost grocery stores like no frills. African food is expensive), clothes (try cheap places like value village, at least for a start), phone bills (get a cheap cell phone plan with a discount carrier like wind, chatr/mobilicity, koodo, pcmobile), etc.
Bottomline: research, over budget, plan well and make up your mind to make the best of things. You will be fine. All the best.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by LOSKYXANDER: 1:44pm On Jul 21, 2017
TheCongo2:

I have been living in London, Ontario since 2009. London is 2 hours west of Toronto(right in the middle of Toronto and Detroit, Michigan). So, you can use either airport for international flights.

London is home of one of the majors universities in Canada, University of Western Ontario. The city is mostly white. I have a colleague from Quebec who is white Canadian who always told me that London is a white capital of Canada. According to her, there are more white people per square inch in London than anywhere else in Canada. I don't know how true this is. However, we have a growing immigrant community. The black community is getting bigger. There are 3 African churches in London, Ontario.

The rate of living is relatively lower in London comparing to that of Toronto. Most of the people I know who have moved to London have been able to purchase their first home (something some people claim would have been difficult to do should have they stay in Montreal or Toronto). Nevertheless, housing in very cheap in London comparing to Toronto.

I have young kids and I find London to be a very nice place to raise kids. There are a number of Africans who have been able to open their own business in London. As far as jobs, I am in IT and have basically been working with the same company ever since I am in London, I wouldn't be able to tell you how easy or difficult it is to find a job here. But, I have seen new comers getting jobs all the time.
Adding to that, the government of Canada has programs that would help new comers to enter the work force.

If you want to move to London, I would say go for it.

If I may ask, what is your field of interest?
I am studying geology but would like to switch to IT (Majoring in web and software development). How feasible is this for me in Canada. any advice?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:06pm On Jul 21, 2017
LOSKYXANDER:

I am studying geology but would like to switch to IT (Majoring in web and software development). How feasible is this for me in Canada. any advice?

All I can say is that North America (Canada & USA) is the land of opportunities. Nothing can stop you to achieve what you want except yourself. I have seen people with degree in history switching to IT. So, you can do it. Just keep upgrading your skills each year by getting different certificate in IT and you will be fine.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 3:23pm On Jul 21, 2017
TheCongo2:

All I can say is that North America (Canada & USA) is the land of opportunities. Nothing can stop you to achieve what you want except yourself. I have seen people with degree in history switching to IT. So, you can do it. Just keep upgrading your skills each year by getting different certificate in IT and you will be fine.
This is the truth..men! I know I will either change to IT or health once I arrive..

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 3:31pm On Jul 21, 2017
czaratwork:
Please are you in toronto or neighbouring city? then what is your next step of action from toronto airport if you are looking to stay at mississauga and you need accomodation from day 1. Are they commuter buses from airport to mississauga? is there a place one can stay temporary while looking for accomodation?. i want to also ask how much one room apartment goes for in mississauga and estimate of how much one person will be spending on living expenses (all inclusive) monthly.

Yes am in toronto not sure of commuter buses cause I was picked at the airport but and am not sure cost of housing at Mississauga too .Might be about $500-$800 though Your spending on living expenses will be determined by the number of people in your household.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 6:53pm On Jul 21, 2017
Please all, any idea on getting accommodation at nanaimo bc?? Am going as a matured student for MBA. Tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amindondee: 8:28pm On Jul 21, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, I've replied all recent emails from Nairalanders, please resend yours and I will respond.

Baba, i dont think you are seeing our mails oooo. no reply yet oo shocked

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by impish: 9:06pm On Jul 21, 2017
Thanks yetty. Just a few follow on question in respect of the highlighted portion:
1. What happens if I am not looking for work at all? Am I then ineligible to apply for the subsidy?
2. What happens if I do not find work after 60 days, but can show that I have been actively looking?

Thanks in advance.

Mrs. O, mycanadianfling blog

yettyopy:

The way the subsidy work is they use taxes filed after a year of working to calculate how much you should pay in a day for daycare . So if you just moved here and have not worked for a year, you probably wont pay anything as said by a friend i made here. As for me , hubby has been working here for a year so we will have to pay some amount. Although the subsidy office gives you 40-60 days to find a job once your child starts daycare.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by impish: 9:07pm On Jul 21, 2017
Thanks Iamsheye for your kind words.

Iamsheye:
Just went through your blog,i must say its very very good blog and i like the way you compose your posts. Looking forward to more posts on your blog
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iamsheye(m): 9:10pm On Jul 21, 2017
impish:
Thanks Iamsheye for your kind words.

you're welcomegrin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by impish: 9:17pm On Jul 21, 2017
Dear pauloverdi,

I am not yet in Canada but thought to share some of the feedback I had received from friends on some of the matters raised:
1. School - The two families I spoke with thought it best for school age kids (age 4 and above) to come in time for the September school resumption. They even suggested coming in August so that the kids could settle down a bit, and maybe even start to mingle with other neighbourhood kids in the parks or at swimming pools. All these just to get the kids well adjusted in time for the new term.

Also, you need to have your full immunisation records of the kids with you when you arrive, as all schools will require this. If you want your kids to attend Catholic schools (some of the best schools in Canada are Catholic), then you would need to show a baptismal certificate. You should have yours available for inspection as proof of you/your kids' Catholic faith during enrollment.

2. Weather - The feedback was also that summer was better to arrive in Canada so that one would be present as the weather gradually changed and got colder. More like allowing winter to gradually happen, as opposed to the shock of coming into Canada in the biting cold of December.

I hope the above helps, and apologies in advance if this is not helpful. As I said earlier, we have not relocated yet, but we are doing a bit of research from Nigeria, and this is the output of said research smiley

pauloverdi:
Thanks for all the wonderful posts so far. Very insightful. God bless u guys. My pr visa is valid till March and I would really love to hold on till January before I move. However impending school resumption in September for the kids and associated costs coupled with rent being due as early as December is making me consider leaving earlier. Please I'd like to get advice from someone who arrived canada with their family in the ember months. Bc to be precise. Was it easy getting the kids into school immediately or were there aNY special protocols to observe? Considering the earlier factors I stated should I wait till next yr (though I can move earlier but would love to do so in a more "tidy" fashion)? Im trying to book our flight tickets so I'm really trying to avoid a situation where ill be pressed to reschedule at the last minute. Me and wifey can quit our jobs easy... nothing stopping us. However my pals over there say the cold might b a concern and d best apartments are taken before September by students... just want to here some naija canadian tots on the matter

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by LOSKYXANDER: 11:00pm On Jul 21, 2017
TheCongo2:

Thanks a lot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 21, 2017
Blingyrie:
Please all, any idea on getting accommodation at nanaimo bc?? Am going as a matured student for MBA. Tnx

PM pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 12:14am On Jul 22, 2017
impish:
Thanks yetty. Just a few follow on question in respect of the highlighted portion:
1. What happens if I am not looking for work at all? Am I then ineligible to apply for the subsidy?
2. What happens if I do not find work after 60 days, but can show that I have been actively looking?

Thanks in advance.

Well to qualify for daycare /subsidy , you have to be working for minimum of certain hours in a week i think 30hrs or schooling. Otherwise, u won't qualify. Again am speaking based on experience in Toronto not sure of the requirements in other provinces . If u don't get a job within the stipulated tim,e you will be back to the waitlist.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jugzy: 12:16am On Jul 22, 2017
Thanks for the insights . Can you please suggest good and safe neighbourhoods where one can get apartments? This will help me narrow down my search when viewing property listings. How much does it cost to rent a two bedroom apartment in west or North London please? I gathered these areas are good.

Planning to stay in a hotel for some days when I land to enable me search for accommodation in good areas with good school districts, was it difficult for you to get an apartment to rent as a newcomer in London? Can one rent a place prior to one's arrival?

What is the cost of preschool for children under the age of 5; a rough estimate will do if you don't mind.

TheCongo2:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 12:59am On Jul 22, 2017
TheCongo2:

The more the better?? grin I'm at 10 now...Should I double it? Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 1:46am On Jul 22, 2017
jugzy:
Thanks for the insights . Can you please suggest good and safe neighbourhoods where one can get apartments? This will help me narrow down my search when viewing property listings. How much does it cost to rent a two bedroom apartment in west or North London please? I gathered these areas are good.

Planning to stay in a hotel for some days when I land to enable me search for accommodation in good areas with good school districts, was it difficult for you to get an apartment to rent as a newcomer in London? Can one rent a place prior to one's arrival?

What is the cost of preschool for children under the age of 5; a rough estimate will do if you don't mind.

Getting an apartment in London was very easy for me. From my perception, there is greater supply than demand in London as oppose to greater demand than supply in places like Toronto. You can go on kijiji to check apartments in London and get in touch with landlords via pohone or email.
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-condos/london/c37l1700214

As for the cost of preschool for children, Kindergarten is free. A child has to be 4 years old of age to start Kindergarten. Any child under 4 should be put in daycare. The cost of daycare may be around $50 per day. But, if you are a permanent resident, you can apply for financial assistance from the government.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:17am On Jul 22, 2017
Ayoola03:
I am coming in as a graduate student, UWO to be precise and not coming to London immediately i land coz my fams who are already a citizen lives in Toronto so there is no how I can avoid stopping over at their place . Although non of them has ever been to London, they dont seems to have an idea. But will love to come down to london few days after my arrival, sort out accommodation issh before I finally move in in sept. As I already no Toronto-london is around 2hrs 12min. Sometimes you feel good communicating with your fellow Nigerians in a no-man's land especially when you are still a jjc.

Soyez de bienvenue a London (Welcome to London, Ontario). I am sure you will like the place. By the way, I am Congolese but naturalized Nigerian via nairaland wink .

If you are a Christian, I would recommend to check the Open Door Church when you get here. This is one of the biggest congregation in London, Ontario. I have been attending this church ever since I have moved to London. Our pastor, Howard Katz, is a local businessman. His parents were holocaust survivors. It would be a very good place for you to meet friends as there are plenty of activities for young adults.
We have few Nigerians in the Congregation and some of them are on student visa.
I have a high regard of 2 Nigerians students in my church. Wow... those kids are just amazing and they are involved in the ministry. I always see them as family and they have spent some nights at my house.
The Open Door Church is mostly white. However, if you prefer black churches, there is the Church of Pentecostal few blocks away from the Open Door Church. The church of Pentecostal is made mostly of Ghanaians and Nigerians.

If you are a muslim, please disregard the above. We also have few mosques in Town.

The funny thing is that I never met any Nigerian who knows what is nairaland. They have all never heard about it.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:24am On Jul 22, 2017
Yooku:

The more the better?? grin I'm at 10 now ...Should I double it? Lol

Are you serious?
By the way, it isn't about the number but instead it is about keeping to date with the technology.
You may have 10 certificates but if they are dated 1999, they are just as useless.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ifegy: 4:00am On Jul 22, 2017
lumzy1:
I plan to settle in Alberta or Ontario and my occupation is Petroleum Geologist. Since functioning as a Geologist requires getting registered as a Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.), I want to ask what is the possibility of registering with Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) from Nigeria. And also between Ontario and Alberta which has a better prospect for a Petroleum Geologist in terms of job availability.

Alberta = Oil sands = O&G centre, in Canada.
There's some oil work in Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador and British Columbia (descending order).
Ontario: you've got terminals and refineries, but it's not really an oil producing province
APEGA: best bet might be to check their website, give them a call or email them, and find out directly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 4:47am On Jul 22, 2017
Aig84:

PM pls
Hi been trying to pm ya but I don't know how. Tips pls?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:55am On Jul 22, 2017
lumzy1:
I plan to settle in Alberta or Ontario and my occupation is Petroleum Geologist. Since functioning as a Geologist requires getting registered as a Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.), I want to ask what is the possibility of registering with Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) from Nigeria. And also between Ontario and Alberta which has a better prospect for a Petroleum Geologist in terms of job availability.

Alberta without a doubt. If I knew what I know now (I sound old) I would have never step foot in Ontario. I always tell newcomers to come to Alberta. The opportunities here is unbelievable. To answer your question, if you plan to be a geologist, Alberta is obviously the place to be with the oil being here. I currently work in the oilfields along with many Nigerians. My guy is actually a geologist. Though I don't know how to get certified. I would suggest to do the certification here (in Canada). Nothing done in naija would be trusted.

One last advice to newcomers. Chase stability and prosperity, NOT the name of a fancy degree. People here don't care about your status or what fancy degree you have. I work with literally small boys (mid 20's) with just a high school diploma, along with some professional courses, and years of experience making 100-250k per year. If you have a relevant trade, you'd be worshiped here. Whereas, I know people with fancy degrees but are unemployed or under-employed. My point is do what makes sense, not what you think others think of you.

40 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:34am On Jul 22, 2017
maternal:

Alberta without a doubt. If I knew what I know now (I sound old) I would have never step foot in Ontario. I always tell newcomers to come to Alberta. The opportunities here is unbelievable.

My sister and her family have relocated to Alberta from Ontario. She has been saying the exact same words you have posted.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jugzy: 6:45am On Jul 22, 2017
Thanks a lot

Kindly suggest the good neighbourhoods to live in
TheCongo2:

Getting an apartment in London was very easy for me. From my perception, there is greater supply than demand in London as oppose to greater demand than supply in places like Toronto. You can go on kijiji to check apartments in London and get in touch with landlords via pohone or email.
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-condos/london/c37l1700214

As for the cost of preschool for children, Kindergarten is free. A child has to be 4 years old of age to start Kindergarten. Any child under 4 should be put in daycare. The cost of daycare may be around $50 per day. But, if you are a permanent resident, you can apply for financial assistance from the government.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 22, 2017
Blingyrie:

Hi been trying to pm ya but I don't know how. Tips pls?

Check the email you used to open your nairaland profile and reply me from there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:33am On Jul 22, 2017
I believe it mostly depends on career path and economic situation in a province. I have also seen people move out east to Ontario cos they could not get a decent job in Alberta. A friend just relocated to Ontario to take up an offer after he could not get a job as a power engineering/process operator in Alberta for over 1 year...due to state of the economy (over saturation of process operators and to a lesser extent the oil downturn). There are also more financial and IT related jobs in Ontario e.g the common financial jobs in the prairies are branch banking related.

Alberta/Sask are tradespeople/technologist/engineers heaven due to high wage being offered (especially whenever the economy is booming)....Just as maternal mentioned, fancy degrees don't cut it much out here in the west. i dont know about the east. Its not uncommon to see electrician, millwrights, welders, instrumentation techs e.t.c making more money than PEngs in the same company.

In tech related professions in AB/SK...trades have more job openings than technicians/technologists, and techs have more job openings than Engineers. In a typical Engineering offices, the structures are usually like: 1 or 2 P.engineer/PGeo to manage about 20 techs and 40 tradespeople. Engineers would mostly be placed on a monthly salary while techs and trade would be placed on hourly with the advantage of overtime hours.

Bottomline: what worked for mr. A might not work for mr. B. Dont chose a province because people are rushing to that province. Each province is unique. You need to work out your own plan. Conduct a thorough research....would it be wise for an investment banker or trader to move to Alberta? Is it a good idea for an Agric professional to move to Ontario? e.t.c Get on indeed..search for job openings in your career. Get on forums related to your career to view what people in that profession are discussing about. What professions are saturated in a particular province, what wage should i expect e.t.c Don't follow the crowd.

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by VEIL1234: 12:46pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hi Maternal and other gurus in the house,

What advise would you give regarding career path in canada to someone who has MSc Sustainable Environmental Management from USask?

Just planning ahead, my husband is on study permit and would be done next year, just want to be strategic about the next stage after school.
I have an open work permit and I am a HR professional but still in Nigeria, any advise on my own career path would do too. Attractive provinces too will do, even though we have our eyes on Sask or Alberta but I just thought it wise to seek advise from the seniors and those on ground already just incase we are missing out on anything. Guys please let's hear your opinion. Thank you.
maternal:

Alberta without a doubt. If I knew what I know now (I sound old) I would have never step foot in Ontario. I always tell newcomers to come to Alberta. The opportunities here is unbelievable. To answer your question, if you plan to be a geologist, Alberta is obviously the place to be with the oil being here. I currently work in the oilfields along with many Nigerians. My guy is actually a geologist. Though I don't know how to get certified. I would suggest to do the certification here (in Canada). Nothing done in naija would be trusted.

One last advice to newcomers. Chase stability and prosperity, NOT the name of a fancy degree. People here don't care about your status or what fancy degree you have. I work with literally small boys (mid 20's) with just a high school diploma, along with some professional courses, and years of experience making 100-250k per year. If you have a relevant trade, you'd be worshiped here. Whereas, I know people with fancy degrees but are unemployed or under-employed. My point is do what makes sense, not what you think others think of you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by VEIL1234: 12:49pm On Jul 22, 2017
Just read this, quite insightful. Thanks Salford1
salford1:
I believe it mostly depends on career path and economic situation in a province. I have also seen people move out east to Ontario cos they could not get a decent job in Alberta. A friend just relocated to Ontario to take up an offer after he could not get a job as a power engineering/process operator in Alberta for over 1 year...due to state of the economy (over saturation of process operators and to a lesser extent the oil downturn). There are also more financial and IT related jobs in Ontario e.g the common financial jobs in the prairies are branch banking related.

Alberta/Sask are tradespeople/technologist/engineers heaven due to high wage being offered (especially whenever the economy is booming)....Just as maternal mentioned, fancy degrees don't cut it much out here in the west. i dont know about the east. Its not uncommon to see electrician, millwrights, welders, instrumentation techs e.t.c making more money than PEngs in the same company.

In tech related professions in AB/SK...trades have more job openings than technicians/technologists, and techs have more job openings than Engineers. In a typical Engineering offices, the structures are usually like: 1 or 2 P.engineer/PGeo to manage about 20 techs and 40 tradespeople. Engineers would mostly be placed on a monthly salary while techs and trade would be placed on hourly with the advantage of overtime hours.

Bottomline: what worked for mr. A might not work for mr. B. Dont chose a province because people are rushing to that province. Each province is unique. You need to work out your own plan. Conduct a thorough research....would it be wise for an investment banker or trader to move to Alberta? Is it a good idea for an Agric professional to move to Ontario? e.t.c Get on indeed..search for job openings in your career. Get on forums related to your career to view what people in that profession are discussing about. What professions are saturated in a particular province, what wage should i expect e.t.c Don't follow the crowd.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2017
otokx:

Interesting at the care jobs.
Transitional jobs. Its common all over Canada.

papaking1:
Winnipeg is a nice beautiful city and the people are very nice.
Most Nigeria guys here seems to be doing care jobs which I do not actually fancy.

I am a bit confused on the right career path to pursue. I am ready to do any job right now but I need a long term career plan that will put good cash in my pocket.

Anybody living in Manitoba here that can give me some advice on the right career opportunities to pursue?
Welcome to Canada sir.
Asper care jobs. This is not only common in Manitoba but all over Canada. I doubt if there is an easier survival job out there if you really need cash to safeguard the funds you landed with. 3 days ago, I still met some Nigerians at my mechanic's shop in Calgary discussing about their care job shifts. From what I heard....it is even difficult to get into such transitional jobs in bigger cities. Note the word transitional.

The truth is that not everyone would be able to get into their career path immediately they land, especially if you are in a regulated profession. Due to the influx of migrants, alot of regulatory authorities have put checks in place to ensure the right people get into those professsion.

The best people to offer some sort of advice are actually the same Nigerians in Manitoba. They already know the turf, but choose the people you relate with carefully. Some are satisfied with transitional jobs and wont mind retiring in such professions, but you would also find that alot would eventually move on to good careers. Don't be suprised that the guy or lady you saw in the mall taking care of an handicapped person would be one of the doctors listed on the newly opened clinic in your community.

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:16pm On Jul 22, 2017
VEIL1234:
Hi Maternal and other gurus in the house,

What advise would you give regarding career path in canada to someone who has MSc Sustainable Environmental Management from USask?

Just planning ahead, my husband is on study permit and would be done next year, just want to be strategic about the next stage after school.
hmmm. your husband is in USask, and you are asking about his career path...i am not understanding ooo. lol.
He might even get a job before grad sef...from my experience of living in Canada, student migrants find it alot easier to integrate fully into the society than most other category of immigrants. They have the "studied in Canada" advantage and excellent networks/job searching skills.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 3:15pm On Jul 22, 2017
papaking1:
Arrived Winnipeg yesterday with my family. All glory to God.

Royal Air Maroc was great. Was really impressed. to think I wanted to go for more expensive airline because of the bad reviews I read about them.

Canada is now mine to dominate and excel in.
hello sir I'll be landing in Winnipeg next month through Montreal...royal air maroc on a student visa though

Can I pm you for some specific heads up
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2017
Did you carry your luggage at Montreal and checked it in with air Canada or you received your luggage at Winnipeg after checking in from Nigeria?
papaking1:

We left Lagos about 6:35am and landed in Casablanca after 10:am.
From there a bus drove us to a place with lots of chairs and a free wifi where we rested for about 6 hours till we were later driven again to the airport to checkin to Motreal.

We were fed four times. On the trip to Cassablanca, at the waiting hall and two time during the flight to Montreal.

I was most impressed by the way the flight crew attended to a white lady who was having health issue. they went all out to help the lady regain consciousness. she was handed to proper doctors immediately the plane landed at Montreal.

We got to Montreal around 8:30pm and after we cleared with immigration and had our PR paper signed, we had to wait till 5:am inside the airport to check in with Air Canada to board a flight to Winnipeg.

The most interesting part of the journey was when the immigration officer signed our papers and said "Congratulation, you now have all the rights of a Canadian citizen except the right to vote."

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.