Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,924 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981942 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 4:47pm On Jul 22, 2017
Many thanks madam... just got my application approved but will see if i can tidy up in time to get there early ... your response was very informative. Do u have any info about catholic schools in nanaimo?

impish:
Dear pauloverdi,

I am not yet in Canada but thought to share some of the feedback I had received from friends on some of the matters raised:
1. School - The two families I spoke with thought it best for school age kids (age 4 and above) to come in time for the September school resumption. They even suggested coming in August so that the kids could settle down a bit, and maybe even start to mingle with other neighbourhood kids in the parks or at swimming pools. All these just to get the kids well adjusted in time for the new term.

Also, you need to have your full immunisation records of the kids with you when you arrive, as all schools will require this. If you want your kids to attend Catholic schools (some of the best schools in Canada are Catholic), then you would need to show a baptismal certificate. You should have yours available for inspection as proof of you/your kids' Catholic faith during enrollment.

2. Weather - The feedback was also that summer was better to arrive in Canada so that one would be present as the weather gradually changed and got colder. More like allowing winter to gradually happen, as opposed to the shock of coming into Canada in the biting cold of December.

I hope the above helps, and apologies in advance if this is not helpful. As I said earlier, we have not relocated yet, but we are doing a bit of research from Nigeria, and this is the output of said research smiley

Mrs. O, mycanadianfling blog

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 4:50pm On Jul 22, 2017
And are the Catholic schools free too?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papaking1(m): 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Did you carry your luggage at Montreal and checked it in with air Canada or you received your luggage at Winnipeg after checking in from Nigeria?

Picked them at Montreal and checked in with Air Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2017
pauloverdi:
And are the Catholic schools free too?

Correct

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nikkycool(f): 5:27pm On Jul 22, 2017
salford1:

Transitional jobs. Its common all over Canada.

Welcome to Canada sir.
Asper care jobs. This is not only common in Manitoba but all over Canada. I doubt if there is an easier survival job out there if you really need cash to safeguard the funds you landed with. 3 days ago, I still met some Nigerians at my mechanic's shop in Calgary discussing about their care job shifts. From what I heard....it is even difficult to get into such transitional jobs in bigger cities. Note the word transitional.

The truth is that not everyone would be able to get into their career path immediately they land, especially if you are in a regulated profession. Due to the influx of migrants, alot of regulatory authorities have put checks in place to ensure the right people get into those professsion.

The best people to offer some sort of advice are actually the same Nigerians in Manitoba. They already know the turf, but choose the people you relate with carefully. Some are satisfied with transitional jobs and wont mind retiring in such professions, but you would also find that alot would eventually move on to good careers. Don't be suprised that the guy or lady you saw in the mall taking care of an handicapped person would be one of the doctors listed on the newly opened clinic in your community.
Hello house,please can you shed light on MCDII I.e Morden Community Immigration which is under Manitoba.I submitted my application recently and expecting feedback from them.Please can you say something about the Town in case there reply is positive and if it's worth it.Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 22, 2017
Very detailed and insightful post. Thanks salford1
salford1:
I believe it mostly depends on career path and economic situation in a province. I have also seen people move out east to Ontario cos they could not get a decent job in Alberta. A friend just relocated to Ontario to take up an offer after he could not get a job as a power engineering/process operator in Alberta for over 1 year...due to state of the economy (over saturation of process operators and to a lesser extent the oil downturn). There are also more financial and IT related jobs in Ontario e.g the common financial jobs in the prairies are branch banking related.

Alberta/Sask are tradespeople/technologist/engineers heaven due to high wage being offered (especially whenever the economy is booming)....Just as maternal mentioned, fancy degrees don't cut it much out here in the west. i dont know about the east. Its not uncommon to see electrician, millwrights, welders, instrumentation techs e.t.c making more money than PEngs in the same company.

In tech related professions in AB/SK...trades have more job openings than technicians/technologists, and techs have more job openings than Engineers. In a typical Engineering offices, the structures are usually like: 1 or 2 P.engineer/PGeo to manage about 20 techs and 40 tradespeople. Engineers would mostly be placed on a monthly salary while techs and trade would be placed on hourly with the advantage of overtime hours.

Bottomline: what worked for mr. A might not work for mr. B. Dont chose a province because people are rushing to that province. Each province is unique. You need to work out your own plan. Conduct a thorough research....would it be wise for an investment banker or trader to move to Alberta? Is it a good idea for an Agric professional to move to Ontario? e.t.c Get on indeed..search for job openings in your career. Get on forums related to your career to view what people in that profession are discussing about. What professions are saturated in a particular province, what wage should i expect e.t.c Don't follow the crowd.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by atigro(m): 5:57pm On Jul 22, 2017
Surdycole2:
See what an Agent sent to me

The best is Canada work and study visa
The total package is 400k
The first step is account running which is 200k. We will open a new uba account for you and we will be funding it every month by paying 350k per month into the account.
We will run the account for a year but, we will apply for the Canada work and study visa after six months of running the account
Then after three or four months of running the account, you will be 100k for admission processing. We will get admission for you in Canada for a post graduate studies and we will deferred the admission for six months so that we you get to Canada. You can work for six months to raise money for school fees and other things in Canada
Finally, when the visa comes out, you will pay 100k for visa service charge.
That is the breakdown of how you will be paying the 400kk

How through that work perfectly

PLEASE LEARN TO DIY.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:23pm On Jul 22, 2017
nikkycool:
Hello house,please can you shed light on MCDII I.e Morden Community Immigration which is under Manitoba.I submitted my application recently and expecting feedback from them.Please can you say something about the Town in case there reply is positive and if it's worth it.Thank you.
i know nothing about Morden in Manitoba.

i found a Nigerian asking a similar question on a different site and he got a response or two. Google Immigration to Morden, Manitoba on topix dot com.

spambot might ban me if i post the link here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2017
jugzy:
Thanks a lot

Kindly suggest the good neighbourhoods to live in

For the most part, there are many good neighborhoods in London. London is very nice.
If you want my personal opinion, I would recommend that you get in touch with this agency https://www.clvgroup.com/ and ask them if they have any apartment available on Wonderland Road South, London, Ontario. This agency own a lot of buildings around the city.
When I first moved here, I rented from them one of the apartment at one of the buildings on Wonderland road south. Wow... that place was amazing.

There is only 1 police station in London, Ontario. The police station is located at the corner of Dundas and Adelaide Street. Please avoid that part of the city as it is drug infected and too many street hookers have also invaded the place. Most of the homeless shelters are located within that vicinity.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nikkycool(f): 6:52pm On Jul 22, 2017
salford1:

i know nothing about Morden in Manitoba.

i found a Nigerian asking a similar question on a different site and he got a response or two. Google Immigration to Morden, Manitoba on topix dot com.

spambot might ban me if i post the link here.
Okay thanks.Will check it up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 9:08pm On Jul 22, 2017
impish:
Dear pauloverdi,

I am not yet in Canada but thought to share some of the feedback I had received from friends on some of the matters raised:
1. School - The two families I spoke with thought it best for school age kids (age 4 and above) to come in time for the September school resumption. They even suggested coming in August so that the kids could settle down a bit, and maybe even start to mingle with other neighbourhood kids in the parks or at swimming pools. All these just to get the kids well adjusted in time for the new term.

Also, you need to have your full immunisation records of the kids with you when you arrive, as all schools will require this. If you want your kids to attend Catholic schools (some of the best schools in Canada are Catholic), then you would need to show a baptismal certificate. You should have yours available for inspection as proof of you/your kids' Catholic faith during enrollment.

2. Weather - The feedback was also that summer was better to arrive in Canada so that one would be present as the weather gradually changed and got colder. More like allowing winter to gradually happen, as opposed to the shock of coming into Canada in the biting cold of December.

I hope the above helps, and apologies in advance if this is not helpful. As I said earlier, we have not relocated yet, but we are doing a bit of research from Nigeria, and this is the output of said research smiley

Mrs. O, mycanadianfling blog

We intend movin in December, Jesus take the wheel o. We better look for thick coats

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jugzy: 9:40pm On Jul 22, 2017
Thanks a lot. God bless you.

I will revert with further questions. Please don't get tired of me �

TheCongo2:

For the most part, there are many good neighborhoods in London. London is very nice.
If you want my personal opinion, I would recommend that you get in touch with this agency https://www.clvgroup.com/ and ask them if they have any apartment available on Wonderland Road South, London, Ontario. This agency own a lot of buildings around the city.
When I first moved here, I rented from them one of the apartment at one of the buildings on Wonderland road south. Wow... that place was amazing.

There is only 1 police station in London, Ontario. The police station is located at the corner of Dundas and Adelaide Street. Please avoid that part of the city as it is drug infected and too many street hookers have also invaded the place. Most of the homeless shelters are located within that vicinity.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 9:50pm On Jul 22, 2017
papaking1:

thank you very much sir, any tips on how you got your accommodation? Heard downtown ain't safe at all as a lot of hooligans reside there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 12:47am On Jul 23, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

We intend movin in December, Jesus take the wheel o. We better look for thick coats

Mummyjayjay same wif me oh....lol

We shall survive grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papaking1(m): 2:12am On Jul 23, 2017
CanadianNurse:
thank you very much sir, any tips on how you got your accommodation? Heard downtown ain't safe at all as a lot of hooligans reside there

Staying with a cousin for now.
Heard notorious things about downtown also.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 2:17am On Jul 23, 2017
TheCongo2:

Are you serious?
By the way, it isn't about the number but instead it is about keeping to date with the technology.
You may have 10 certificates but if they are dated 1999, they are just as useless.

Hahaha, not outdated, 10 very current and up to date certs sir wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by VEIL1234: 3:39am On Jul 23, 2017
Lol, I said I should ask ooo, no dulling. Please any advise on my own career path I would appreciate.
salford1:

hmmm. your husband is in USask, and you are asking about his career path...i am not understanding ooo. lol.
He might even get a job before grad sef...from my experience of living in Canada, student migrants find it alot easier to integrate fully into the society than most other category of immigrants. They have the "studied in Canada" advantage and excellent networks/job searching skills.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 3:49am On Jul 23, 2017
TheCongo2:

My sister and her family have relocated to Alberta from Ontario. She has been saying the exact same words you have posted.

Its an employees market here. Meaning, there's so much competition here among companies for talent, that a potential employee can sit back and watch companies fight over them. Furthermore, with 6 plus major oil companies here and their lucrative salaries, they drive up the price for skilled worker. Hence why Albertans have the highest per capita salary in the country.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 3:53am On Jul 23, 2017
VEIL1234:
Hi Maternal and other gurus in the house,

What advise would you give regarding career path in canada to someone who has MSc Sustainable Environmental Management from USask?

Just planning ahead, my husband is on study permit and would be done next year, just want to be strategic about the next stage after school.
I have an open work permit and I am a HR professional but still in Nigeria, any advise on my own career path would do too. Attractive provinces too will do, even though we have our eyes on Sask or Alberta but I just thought it wise to seek advise from the seniors and those on ground already just incase we are missing out on anything. Guys please let's hear your opinion. Thank you.

I'd focus on securing both your permanent residency first. But to be honest, your husband should have all these answers if he did his homework and networked while at school. I also hope he attended numerous career fairs and attempted to do internship. But if I had to guess, I'd say Alberta and Sask are good places to go for him after graduation. His skill set would be needed there due to those provinces natural resources. As for you, do what makes sense. But be set on doing HR here if that doesn't work out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by VEIL1234: 4:01am On Jul 23, 2017
Thanks a lot for the advise, I needed to know if we are on the right track.
maternal:

I'd focus on securing both your permanent residency first. But to be honest, your husband should have all these answers if he did his homework and networked while at school. I also hope he attended numerous career fairs and attempted to do internship. But if I had to guess, I'd say Alberta and Sask are good places to go for him after graduation. His skill set would be needed there due to those provinces natural resources. As for you, do what makes sense. But be set on doing HR here if that doesn't work out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 4:19am On Jul 23, 2017
maternal:

Its an employees market here. Meaning, there's so much competition here among companies for talent, that a potential employee can sit back and watch companies fight over them. Furthermore, with 6 plus major oil companies here and their lucrative salaries, they drive up the price for skilled worker. Hence why Albertans have the highest per capita salary in the country.

Please, is this applicable to most industries or it's just peculiar to the oil industry? Would appreciate the clarification because what I have read generally is that Ontario is the hub for finance and banking jobs.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:24am On Jul 23, 2017
40manlappy:

Please, is this applicable to most industries or it's just peculiar to the oil industry? Would appreciate the clarification because what I have read generally is that Ontario is the hub for finance and banking jobs.

No just mainly the oil. But remember the oil industry creates other side/relevant jobs. That's what people forget. An oil company still needs an accountant for example, or an expert with a fiance degree. They may also need a business analyst as well. You also have to factor in the cost of living. While you're in Toronto chasing a finance or banking job, you're easily paying more taxes and 1 million dollars for a house which would cost 400k max in Alberta for example. Do the math first and take everything into consideration. That's all I'm saying.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 7:42am On Jul 23, 2017
Yooku:

Hahaha, not outdated, 10 very current and up to date certs sir wink

I am impressed. Do you also have CCNA?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 7:54am On Jul 23, 2017
maternal:

No just mainly the oil. But remember the oil industry creates other side/relevant jobs. That's what people forget. An oil company still needs an accountant for example, or an expert with a fiance degree. They may also need a business analyst as well. You also have to factor in the cost of living. While you're in Toronto chasing a finance or banking job, you're easily paying more taxes and 1 million dollars for a house which would cost 400k max in Alberta for example. Do the math first and take everything into consideration. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks for the insights smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissShakara: 10:41am On Jul 23, 2017
Hi Maternal

We are a family of 5 planning to move to Alberta. We are ready to start over on any good career path so we don't plan on restricting ourselves based on what we do here in naija. I'm a lawyer and my husband works in a bank but with a science degree. We are fairly young, in our early 30's. Is there any prosperous career pathway you could suggest for us given we want to settle in Alberta. We don't mind going back to school for a short program.

Also we are torn between Lethbridge, Calgary and Edmonton. I don't know why am pulled towards Lethbridge anyway but I would like to hear your views and that of anyone else who live in these cities.

maternal:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Algbenguze: 3:26pm On Jul 23, 2017
Well done guys.
Please I intend getting into the skilled trades- plumber or electrician precisely. Looking through job sites, I see more openings in Ontario and Quebec than in other provinces. However, I still hear more arguments in favour of settling for Alberta than Ontario.
Please seniors, what are the prospects in construction/trades in both Provinces?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:36pm On Jul 23, 2017
Algbenguze:
Well done guys.
Please I intend getting into the skilled trades- plumber or electrician precisely. Looking through job sites, I see more openings in Ontario and Quebec than in other provinces. However, I still hear more arguments in favour of settling for Alberta than Ontario.
Please seniors, what are the prospects in construction/trades in both Provinces?
Trades are good in all provinces, but the wages for trades are higher in the west than in the east.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coolhayor: 3:59pm On Jul 23, 2017
U guys are doing a fantastic job right here. God bless u all. Can see a lot of peeps from d USA baby delivery section here.

Here is my question, Is there any1 who is into sales & marketing. I like to know what d prospects look like for a sales mgr with a Multinational landing next year. I still love sales & marketing. I know it wont b a bed of roses but i need ur experience & advice b4 dropping my letter here.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2017
TheCongo2:

I am impressed. Do you also have CCNA?

That was my first cert after graduating from Uni. Currently have a CCIE RS plus some Juniper and Alcatel-Lucent certs. Good prospects?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 512(m): 4:45pm On Jul 23, 2017
papaking1:

papaking1:

Hello sir,

I intend to land in a couple of weeks as well via Montreal. Can I PM you please? Need some guidance. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoola03(f): 5:26pm On Jul 23, 2017
Thanks a lot boss,the information is well noted! shocked

TheCongo2:

Soyez de bienvenue a London (Welcome to London, Ontario). I am sure you will like the place. By the way, I am Congolese but naturalized Nigerian via nairaland wink .

If you are a Christian, I would recommend to check the Open Door Church when you get here. This is one of the biggest congregation in London, Ontario. I have been attending this church ever since I have moved to London. Our pastor, Howard Katz, is a local businessman. His parents were holocaust survivors. It would be a very good place for you to meet friends as there are plenty of activities for young adults.
We have few Nigerians in the Congregation and some of them are on student visa.
I have a high regard of 2 Nigerians students in my church. Wow... those kids are just amazing and they are involved in the ministry. I always see them as family and they have spent some nights at my house.
The Open Door Church is mostly white. However, if you prefer black churches, there is the Church of Pentecostal few blocks away from the Open Door Church. The church of Pentecostal is made mostly of Ghanaians and Nigerians.

If you are a muslim, please disregard the above. We also have few mosques in Town.

The funny thing is that I never met any Nigerian who knows what is nairaland. They have all never heard about it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.