Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,308 members, 7,811,916 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (314) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981447 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:30am On Jun 23, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 3:43am On Jun 23, 2018
SixSigma1:

First, I understand the way you feel for being refused a US visa despite having your Canadian PR. While it is very rare for Canadian PR to be denied US visa, it does happen that PR holders are sometimes denied as it is in your case. The reason being that being granted the visa of any country is a privilege (not a right). Even if you feel that you 100% qualify, the visa officer may think otherwise.

Having said that, I see a lot of misconceptions in your post above which I will also like to address:

You should actually take your own advice of knowing your right because it looks to me that you have a wrong impression of what are your rights as a Canadian PR holder regarding being granted visa or entrance into US. The fact that the Canadian Government chose to allow Green Card holders to enter Canada without Canadian visa does not mean that the US Government has to reciprocate. In the past, before September 11 (and up to a certain time after 911), Canadian PR holders from certain countries (including from Nigeria) could enter the US without having to obtain a US visa. It is not the US fault if the Canadian Government chose not impose visa rule on Green card holders after the US imposed visa on PR holders. So, as a Canadian PR holder you do not have a right to US visa (your PR document only makes it easier to get). Even Canadian citizens that do not currently require visa to enter the US can still be denied entry just as US citizen could be denied entry into Canada and nothing will happen.

I also want to point out to you that even as a Canadian PR holder, you can also be denied re-entry into Canada for reasons that are obvious and not so obvious. This is because until you become a Canadian citizen, being granted entry into Canada is a privilege (not a right). We discussed this in the past on this thread. See this page: https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/259#66247695

As to this being a vendetta against Nigerians, I doubt this. You are already in Canada. The request for strict US visa is for the Nigerians that are based in Nigeria and who are trying to enter Canada illegally through the US and not those that are already living legally in Canada.

So, as many people have already said, just wait for a while and reapply.

Not really trying to stir up old stuff but what do you say about 19 (2) of division 3 of the immigration and refugee protection act. For ease of reference it reads thus:

Right of entry of permanent residents

(2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

---------------------

It is my interpretation that if you have PR status, you have right of entry.

In addition,

IRCC here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

explicitly states that PRs have the right to live in Canada. I don't think it makes sense for someone to have the right to live somewhere but not enter that place.

Again I believe once your status is valid you have right to enter. Only way you can be denied is if there's some issue with your PR status. I do not believe it's a privilege.

Can someone find any case law on canlii that shows someone with valid PR status being denied?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:47am On Jun 23, 2018
redocean:
Hello Seniors,

So my wife contacted some newcomers services in Ontario who help immigrants with employment services. However, they requested she provide her SIN as part of the documentation needed to enroll her for their services.

When she enquired why they requested for the SIN, someone explained that because they are sponsored by the Govt. of Ontario and Canadian Govt., they would need to provide some form of returns on the people who have benefitted from their service.

Please is it in order for her to disclose her SIN to them?

Kindly guide us based on your experience.

You may always ask them if there is any option other than providing the SIN.

Please check this link for more details

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by subhasakshi: 4:27am On Jun 23, 2018
I want to immigrate to Canada. How is life there? I have been taking help from an immigration consultancy in Banglore . They seem to be extremely helpful
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:52am On Jun 23, 2018
subhasakshi:
I want to immigrate to Canada. How is life there? I have been taking help from an immigration consultancy in Banglore https://www.venturaworld.in/ . They seem to be extremely helpful

subhasakshi:
I have been visiting Calgary frequently. It's truly an amazing place. Everyone should go there once at least. I got very cheap flight tickets through my travel agent.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 5:06am On Jun 23, 2018
LOL, say no more.

TheCongo2:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SixSigma1(m): 5:27am On Jun 23, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Not really trying to stir up old stuff but what do you say about 19 (2) of division 3 of the immigration and refugee protection act. For ease of reference it reads thus:

(2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

---------------------

In addition,

IRCC here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

explicitly states that PRs have the right to live in Canada. I don't think it makes sense for someone to have the right to live somewhere but not enter that place.

Again I believe once your status is valid you have right to enter. Only way you can be denied is if there's some issue with your PR status. I do not believe it's a privilege.

Can someone find any case law on canlii that shows someone with valid PR status being denied?

I would not like to discuss this any further. You have the prerogative to interpret the acts the way you deem fit but that do not change the fact. People reading this do not have to agree with me neither do they have to agree with you because the act is available online for everybody read to know their rights.

What is important though is that the whole act should be read and interpreted together rather than taking one section or division of the act in isolation while neglecting the other part that throw more light on the section or division they are trying to interpret. So, read all of Division 3 section 19 (1) and section 19 (2), and also Division 4 section 34, 35 and 36 that talks about inadmissibility of a PR holder.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-5.html#h-16
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#h-23

Again, it a privilege (not a right) for PR to be allowed to re-enter Canada. However, the moment you are allowed in into Canada you have the rights listed in the IRCC link you provided. You lose the right listed on IRCC the moment you are deem inadmissible to Canada. Show me any part of the act that says a PR holder has the right to re-enter Canada just like division 3 section 19 (1) says citizens and Indians have right to enter Canada.

Fortissimo502:

The presence or not of a law case about someone with PR status being denied entry to Canada does not invalidate the fact that their is an act or the law regarding rights of a PR regarding re-entry into Canada. The law and the act are there buy may never have been applied in the past. They also might have been applied but the affected person decided not to make a law case of it. So not finding a law case does not mean anything.

Sorry, this is the last I will write regarding this topic.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 5:36am On Jun 23, 2018
SixSigma1:

I would not like to discuss this any further. You have the prerogative to interpret the acts the way you deem fit but that do not change the fact. People reading this do not have to agree with me neither do they have to agree with you because the act is available online for everybody read to know their rights.

What is important though is that the whole act should be read and interpreted together rather than taking one section or division of the act in isolation while neglecting the other part that throw more light on the section or division they are trying to interpret. So, read all of Division 3 section 19 (1) and section 19 (2), and also Division 4 section 34, 35 and 36 that talks about inadmissibility of a PR holder.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-5.html#h-16
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#h-23

Again, it a privilege (not a right) for PR to be allowed to re-enter Canada. However, the moment you are allowed in into Canada you have the rights listed in the IRCC link you provided. You lose the right listed on IRCC the moment you are deem inadmissible to Canada. Show me any part of the act that says a PR holder has the right to re-enter Canada just like division 3 section 19 (1) says citizens and Indians have right to enter Canada.

The presence or not of a law case about someone with PR status being denied entry to Canada does not invalidate the fact that their is an act or the law regarding rights of a PR regarding re-entry into Canada. The law and the act are there buy may never have been applied in the past. They also might have been applied but the affected person decided not to make a law case of it. So not finding a law case does not mean anything.

Sorry, this is the last I will write regarding this topic.

Well, each has the right to their opinion. Or is that in contention too? Lol. It's not really a big deal anyway. Privilege or right, everyone is getting in freely. I too will not post further on this topic and my view remains unchanged.

I am well aware of the case for inadmissiblility of a PR holder. The section of the law I mentioned says the PR holder will be examined.

What I meant and what I think the law means as well, is that a PR that is not inadmissible, has right of entry. This is different from someone with a valid Trv who although might not be inadmissible, does not have right of entry.

The general vibe I'm getting on this thread is almost equating the privilege of entry of TRV holders with the right of entry of PR holders. They are not the same. PRs have right of entry.

I'd add that my view seems to align with that of Campbell Cohen, a well known Canadian immigration law firm, and the more experienced members of their forum, canadavisa.com

Thank you for your time.

P.S. whether people agree with me or not, it's no skin off my back. I know what mentality I should have when I approach the fine folks of the CBSA.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 11:27am On Jun 23, 2018
@Hifyty
Kindly advise on the text now app for getting Canadian number. I have been unable to use it as it says app not available in my country.

hifyty:
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers. So as soon as we got our PR, I started to look for a job in Canada. My first point of call was my current company. I work in the O&G industry and we have company presence in Calgary. The only caveat to this was that I was sponsored by Ontario PNP and hence ran the risk of running into problems later but all the same, I spoke to our HR in Calgary and they offered me a contractor position that would enable me work from home and visit Calgary 2x in a month. My people say, half bread is better than buns. So I held on to that offer and kept looking for other options in ON. By the way, I am a systems Analyst / Systems Administrator. The first thing I did was to get my resume into Canadian shape. I reached out to about 2 friends who are based in Canada to send me templates and I did a pretty good job in making mine. The next thing I did was to get a Canadian Number. in this case, I used an app called (text now) and put this on my resume as well as the home address of one of my friends. And bingo, the calls started to come in for interview requests. my favorite hunting place has to be indeed.ca but there are other effective ones like ziprecruiter.com, Workopolis.com,glassdoor.ca, LinkedIn and monster.ca. I would say I got an average of 2 interviews in a week.
Once an interview call came in, the recruiter or hiring manager would ask about my residency status and availability. I would normally tell them that I am not landed yet but I have my COPR and I am available in 30 days or if the offer is right in 15 days. Now to be honest, most of my interview really go smooth because I am well experienced in my Job and most often than not, I nail the interview but sometimes they want people to come in for a face to face interview or ready to start immediately but I still managed to get a few of them who didn’t mind the wait and we had series of several interviews via video conferencing and right now I have 2 pretty good job offers. One in a bank and the other an ecommerce website. from what I have experienced so far and depending on the company, the first step in the process would be a talent acquisition personnel or HR personnel reaching out to you on phone to discuss the role and this takes anywhere from 15mins to an hour long talk. And they ask you about what you do and everything as claimed on your resume and put in a little screening questions on the technical side in there just to know if you know what you are doing. if you get pass the HR, then you will be invited to talk to the hiring manager or like the team lead of where you end up working. Now this is mostly technical stuffs and as well as checking out for cultural fit. So be prepared for scenario based questions as well as all those why do you think you are the best fit for this job kind of questions. If you scale through this, for some companies they might hire you at this point if they like you but some even go further for another level of interview. At least, For my 2 job offers we went on to have another round of interviews and this had HR, Hiring Manager and a Snr Mgr. in attendance and we started the whole discussion all over and to God be the Glory, I was given offers to start in July. My family and I arrive first week in July and I would be starting work July 9th.
I would also like to advise folks to read about the company (very important) and read the JD very well and see if you can do the Job and shoot for it. For example, even though I am systems analyst/ administrator, The job offer I got in the bank is for an Office365/Microsoft Exchange Admin. If you are given an offer, you would need proof that you are eligible to work in Canada. In both cases, my prospective employers were satisfied with my COPR Visa. So keep looking and searching and never say never you might just be able to get something before landing. I hope this helps someone, it will end in praise!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lagertha: 12:28pm On Jun 23, 2018
Akingsqueen:
@Hifyty
Kindly advise on the text now app for getting Canadian number. I have been unable to use it as it says app not available in my country.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the post @Hifyty this was really helpful.

I got my PPR on June 8 and I am currently waiting to receive my passport which was sent shortly after. Ahead of my short landing in November, I have been doing some research on linkedin, indeed.ca and other websites about vacancies in my line of work and the best areas in Canada to where I can get a good job in this line. I'm actually open to settling anywhere as long as I get the right offer. I work in telecommunications, specifically, regulatory affairs/compliance.

I will really appreciate input from people who work in this line or anybody who knows someone in this line.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Patterns18: 1:20pm On Jun 23, 2018
kissoflife:

1) Login to CIC account.
2) Go to section "Link an existing application to this account". Click on "Link application to this account" button.
3) Select category as PR Card
4) Select "Unique Client Identifier (UCI) and Family Name"
5) Fill required details (please make sure of capital, small, comma etc.)
6) Provide landing date in "Date you became a permanent resident"
7) Click on 'search my application'
cool after application searched, make sure you submit application else it not link

Once you have successfully linked your application it will show you as "Submitted" status and once it is ready for dispatch it will go into "Approved" status.

The steps above were copied from a Blackbuddy's post and it worked for me but after like a month of landing.

Do they usually ask for new photos before PR card is issued?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kissoflife: 2:45pm On Jun 23, 2018
Patterns18:

Sometimes they do
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 2:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
TheCongo2:

You may always ask them if there is any option other than providing the SIN.

Please check this link for more details

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html

Thank you much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 3:07pm On Jun 23, 2018
StNonsky:
there’s nothing like ‘I didn’t qualify for visa at that tome’. This is the same visa students get easily talk more of a PR. You shd know your rights. Green card holders are allowed freely here without visa so why shdnt we? I’m sure it’s a vendetta against Nigerians because the bad eggs among us cross the border illegally and as a result immigration minister had to go down to Nigeria because of the issue and advised the US embassy to reduce the visa quota they give to Nigerians. People’s visas are being cancelled and those that have travelled once can’t even travel again with the same visa. I’m sure the officer was clearly acting on instructions if not, why would she also deny a married pregnant PR lady? I rest my case.

You're fighting the wrong person, please go back to the embassy and fight with them there. I don't know when a US visa became your right.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lagertha: 3:09pm On Jun 23, 2018
Still waiting for responses to my inquiries.

Seniors in the house @blackbuddy @maternal , etc will appreciate your input.

Thanks all

Lagertha:

Hello everyone,

I got my PPR on June 8 and I am currently waiting to receive my passport which was sent shortly after. Ahead of my short landing in November, I have been doing some research on linkedin, indeed.ca and other websites about vacancies in my line of work and the best areas in Canada to where I can get a good job in this line. I'm actually open to settling anywhere as long as I get the right offer. I work in telecommunications, specifically, regulatory affairs/compliance.

I will really appreciate input from people who work in this line or anybody who knows someone in this line.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 3:11pm On Jun 23, 2018
SixSigma1:

First, I understand the way you feel for being refused a US visa despite having your Canadian PR. While it is very rare for Canadian PR to be denied US visa, it does happen that PR holders are sometimes denied as it is in your case. The reason being that being granted the visa of any country is a privilege (not a right). Even if you feel that you 100% qualify, the visa officer may think otherwise.

Having said that, I see a lot of misconceptions in your post above which I will also like to address:

You should actually take your own advice of knowing your right because it looks to me that you have a wrong impression of what are your rights as a Canadian PR holder regarding being granted visa or entrance into US. The fact that the Canadian Government chose to allow Green Card holders to enter Canada without Canadian visa does not mean that the US Government has to reciprocate. In the past, before September 11 (and up to a certain time after 911), Canadian PR holders from certain countries (including from Nigeria) could enter the US without having to obtain a US visa. It is not the US fault if the Canadian Government chose not impose visa rule on Green card holders after the US imposed visa on PR holders. So, as a Canadian PR holder you do not have a right to US visa (your PR document only makes it easier to get). Even Canadian citizens that do not currently require visa to enter the US can still be denied entry just as US citizen could be denied entry into Canada and nothing will happen.

I also want to point out to you that even as a Canadian PR holder, you can also be denied re-entry into Canada for reasons that are obvious and not so obvious. This is because until you become a Canadian citizen, being granted entry into Canada is a privilege (not a right). We discussed this in the past on this thread. See this page: https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/259#66247695

As to this being a vendetta against Nigerians, I doubt this. You are already in Canada. The request for strict US visa is for the Nigerians that are based in Nigeria and who are trying to enter Canada illegally through the US and not those that are already living legally in Canada.

So, as many people have already said, just wait for a while and reapply.

Thank you! Nothing needs to be removed or added. Visa is a privilege.
Even Naija embassy does shakara to foreigners and deny them visas all the time.
Second base jare.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 3:13pm On Jun 23, 2018
Fortissimo502:

---------------------

In addition,

This will mostly apply to those that don't meet up their residency obligations.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sexymj(f): 3:17pm On Jun 23, 2018
Good afternoon,

I would be going to canada with my kids, while my spouse returns to Nigeria.
I want to find out:

1.If I can invite my mom over to help with the kids (temporarily).

2.If YES to question 1, how soon can I apply and what are the modalities involved?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 3:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
LMAO. Nailed! Awon advertisers.
TheCongo2:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 4:11pm On Jun 23, 2018
Patterns18:

If the you get the correct quality of passport photos sent with your passports after PPR, they have no need to ask for new photos.

However, quite often, we perhaps do not go to the right quality of photo studio to get good passport photos done in the correct size.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 4:15pm On Jun 23, 2018
redocean:

Thank you much.

Yeah....really push on this. There has to be another option for sure. If they are not an agency processing the payroll while contracting you out to other companies, I really don't see why they require the SIN. I really would expect that they should have another alternative to requiring the SIN.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hifyty(m): 5:48pm On Jun 23, 2018
@Akingsqueen,

I am sorry i just got to see your question. I am not sure why this is blocked in your country but there are lots of other free voip calling apps that will give you a US or canadian number. you can try talkatone and see if it works for you.

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fameli: 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2018
received

hifyty:
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers. So as soon as we got our PR, I started to look for a job in Canada. My first point of call was my current company. I work in the O&G industry and we have company presence in Calgary. The only caveat to this was that I was sponsored by Ontario PNP and hence ran the risk of running into problems later but all the same, I spoke to our HR in Calgary and they offered me a contractor position that would enable me work from home and visit Calgary 2x in a month. My people say, half bread is better than buns. So I held on to that offer and kept looking for other options in ON. By the way, I am a systems Analyst / Systems Administrator. The first thing I did was to get my resume into Canadian shape. I reached out to about 2 friends who are based in Canada to send me templates and I did a pretty good job in making mine. The next thing I did was to get a Canadian Number. in this case, I used an app called (text now) and put this on my resume as well as the home address of one of my friends. And bingo, the calls started to come in for interview requests. my favorite hunting place has to be indeed.ca but there are other effective ones like ziprecruiter.com, Workopolis.com,glassdoor.ca, LinkedIn and monster.ca. I would say I got an average of 2 interviews in a week.
Once an interview call came in, the recruiter or hiring manager would ask about my residency status and availability. I would normally tell them that I am not landed yet but I have my COPR and I am available in 30 days or if the offer is right in 15 days. Now to be honest, most of my interview really go smooth because I am well experienced in my Job and most often than not, I nail the interview but sometimes they want people to come in for a face to face interview or ready to start immediately but I still managed to get a few of them who didn’t mind the wait and we had series of several interviews via video conferencing and right now I have 2 pretty good job offers. One in a bank and the other an ecommerce website. from what I have experienced so far and depending on the company, the first step in the process would be a talent acquisition personnel or HR personnel reaching out to you on phone to discuss the role and this takes anywhere from 15mins to an hour long talk. And they ask you about what you do and everything as claimed on your resume and put in a little screening questions on the technical side in there just to know if you know what you are doing. if you get pass the HR, then you will be invited to talk to the hiring manager or like the team lead of where you end up working. Now this is mostly technical stuffs and as well as checking out for cultural fit. So be prepared for scenario based questions as well as all those why do you think you are the best fit for this job kind of questions. If you scale through this, for some companies they might hire you at this point if they like you but some even go further for another level of interview. At least, For my 2 job offers we went on to have another round of interviews and this had HR, Hiring Manager and a Snr Mgr. in attendance and we started the whole discussion all over and to God be the Glory, I was given offers to start in July. My family and I arrive first week in July and I would be starting work July 9th.
I would also like to advise folks to read about the company (very important) and read the JD very well and see if you can do the Job and shoot for it. For example, even though I am systems analyst/ administrator, The job offer I got in the bank is for an Office365/Microsoft Exchange Admin. If you are given an offer, you would need proof that you are eligible to work in Canada. In both cases, my prospective employers were satisfied with my COPR Visa. So keep looking and searching and never say never you might just be able to get something before landing. I hope this helps someone, it will end in praise!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 9:07pm On Jun 23, 2018
Oh well my country is Nigeria. Isn't yours also Nigeria? grin
[/quote]

[quote author=hifyty post=68754573]@Akingsqueen,

I am sorry i just got to see your question. I am not sure why this is blocked in your country but there are lots of other free voip calling apps that will give you a US or canadian number. you can try talkatone and see if it works for you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 23, 2018
StNonsky:
Hey everyone. I am Nigerian and Canadian PR for 1 year and have a job but was DENIED VISA to the US on June 19th on grounds of not having “strong economic ties to Canada” Can some1 explain what this mean. Who in his right mind would forfeit his PR status to go stay back in the US illegally? I am very sad and upset! I sense some racial bias because of my black skin colour. A married pregnant Nigérian lady was also denied right before my eyes. This is embarrassing. Share your thoughts please

Like someone said earlier, you probably encountered an overzealous officer (some PR holders who got their 10years visa smoothly will always feel there was something wrong you did). And for the officer asking how you got your permanent residence shows you the kind of person you met. Even some of the border security officers are no different. I know of someone who makes trips to the US with his family several times yearly, on different occasions he had been asked some demeaning questions. One was when an officer saw one of the kids was a US citizen, started querying if he paid the hospital bills of the child and some whatnots (as at the time of questioning, the child was grown). This is someone who schooled in the US, has properties there and a Canadian PR turning citizen soon.

If the need to visit the US is not urgent, take your time and reapply much later hopefully to meet a much cool headed officer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Demiyike: 12:14am On Jun 24, 2018
StNonsky:
there’s nothing like ‘I didn’t qualify for visa at that tome’. This is the same visa students get easily talk more of a PR. You shd know your rights. Green card holders are allowed freely here without visa so why shdnt we? I’m sure it’s a vendetta against Nigerians because the bad eggs among us cross the border illegally and as a result immigration minister had to go down to Nigeria because of the issue and advised the US embassy to reduce the visa quota they give to Nigerians. People’s visas are being cancelled and those that have travelled once can’t even travel again with the same visa. I’m sure the officer was clearly
acting on instructions if not, why would she also deny a married pregnant PR lady? I rest my case.

I dont believe they are acting on any instruction. I had my visa interview yesterday , with my husband and my 2 children and we were given no documents were asked and we have been here for just a year . They just asked to see our previous US visa and in less than 2 mins were out of there

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 12:29am On Jun 24, 2018
Demiyike:

I dont believe they are acting on any instruction. I had my visa interview yesterday , with my husband and my 2 children and we were given no documents were asked and we have been here for just a year . They just asked to see our previous US visa and in less than 2 mins were out of there

This person is not telling the full story.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by behati: 1:07am On Jun 24, 2018
maternal:

This person is not telling the full story.
What if he's telling the fill story? I'll be shocked if this is the first time you're seeing a PR denied visa. it happens all the time, check canadavisaforum. Please let this rest!

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 1:51am On Jun 24, 2018
behati:

What if he's telling the fill story? I'll be shocked if this is the first time you're seeing a PR denied visa. it happens all the time, check canadavisaforum. Please let this rest!
I'm surprised people find it so shocking. There r so many cases of new PRs being denied. Infact from what I've seen, it almost looks like if your PR is less than 6 months, it's a 50 50 chance to get the US Visa. Especially if you don't have a very strong case to begin with. It can be difficult to demonstrate home ties to canada after only recently just immigrating there.

Also, although this is just me wondering, the applicant may be seen as potentially having immigrant intent seeing that they just recently immigrated from their home country.

Then of course there's the economic factor as well.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 2:21am On Jun 24, 2018
behati:

They got denied because of economic reasons. He or she already said so. According to my math they've been working for 7 months so it's understandable. Who even knows how much they're making sef. But to say the border officer asked how they got their PR? That I don't believe and leads me to think he or she has something in their past. This seems to be more than an economic reason. The hate towards Nigerians is a nonsense excuse when you're a PR here. The person should just talk true talk.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:12am On Jun 24, 2018
Demiyike:

You have previous US travel, you're not in the same category.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lagertha: 11:22am On Jun 24, 2018
Still waiting to hear your views regarding my post, your responses will be highly appreciated!

Thank you.

Lagertha:

Hello everyone,

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.