Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,969 members, 7,814,282 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (317) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1982956 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 12:32pm On Jun 26, 2018
[quote author=A555 post=68524548]

Hey Boss,

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to reply in this very detailed manner. I appreciate it.

Regards

The details of the program look exactly the same as an RBC mortgage adviser explained to me, so I expect it should also be available via any bank you already bank with.

Maybe if you have specific questions, I might have answers from my discussion with the mortgage adviser.

Otherwise, here is some generic information from the details I picked up on:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 2:54pm On Jun 26, 2018
Good afternoon/morning/evening (depending on what part of the world y'all in)...I have an enquiry and I believe someone here can help.

Does anyone know the specific Nigerian Govt Agency that handles criminal checks...? A friend received an offer of employment, to start work two weeks ago. However, he's still waiting for his criminal check to return from Nig. sad a reflection of the state of the nation.

Has anyone experienced this before? How can we expedite the process? what department handles this? How do most employment agencies request criminal checks from Nig...by email, post etc.). Answers will help us chase up the process.

I eagerly await an answer. Many thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jhammz519: 3:13pm On Jun 26, 2018
[/color][color=#990000][color=#006600][/color]
intrinsicniyi:

Good day & sure you're good,

I'd like to inquire about how long it took you to get your study permit approved. I'm also going to be doing this very soon and I seek further advice / clarifications .

Kindly link up at: niyiabodunrin@gmail.com

Thanks.

I did mine on April 11 got medical calls on may 30th did June 4th medicals was already forwarded to cic submitted passport on the June 11th got visa on the 19th.... It was online submission not paper.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jhammz519: 3:29pm On Jun 26, 2018
Bukella:

Congratulations! ��

Thanks very much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by intrinsicniyi(m): 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2018
Jhammz519:
[/color][color=#990000][color=#006600][/color]

I did mine on April 11 got medical calls on may 30th did June 4th medicals was already forwarded to cic submitted passport on the June 11th got visa on the 19th.... It was online submission not paper.

Ok, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jhammz519: 3:45pm On Jun 26, 2018
Hello please if you applied online would you be asked of any documents if you get to canada, I did mine online . Please I need replies on how I would go about it �please your replies
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 4:48pm On Jun 26, 2018
Newmum0615:
Well, thanks. Lol. Not yet sha. I am approaching the 6 months mark very soon. I'm getting ready dazall.

grin wink cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 5:22pm On Jun 26, 2018
[quote author=Fortissimo502 post=68811160][/quote]

Toronto things.. grin

Anybody willing to pickup in Toronto? Also are there whatsapp groups for those who have landed or will be landing in Toronto?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 11:13pm On Jun 26, 2018
eddycross:
@Newmum0615
@A555
@redocean
@kissoflife
@luffyhaki
I've heard that people have taken new photos just before departing Nigeria and given to the immigration personnel at the point of signing their landing documents. That may help.

This is what we did

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 2:55am On Jun 27, 2018
salford1:
The result from Ontario's election is highly embarrassing for the Liberal party. It was a tsunami.

The Liberals are no longer a recognized party in Ontario. They did not meet the minimum number of seats to be still be officially recognized as a party. They are pretty much independents till the next elections.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2018
Ehrnie:
Good afternoon/morning/evening (depending on what part of the world y'all in)...I have an enquiry and I believe someone here can help.

Does anyone know the specific Nigerian Govt Agency that handles criminal checks...? A friend received an offer of employment, to start work two weeks ago. However, he's still waiting for his criminal check to return from Nig. sad a reflection of the state of the nation.

Has anyone experienced this before? How can we expedite the process? what department handles this? How do most employment agencies request criminal checks from Nig...by email, post etc.). Answers will help us chase up the process.

I eagerly await an answer. Many thanks!

Force CIDs handle this. In Lagos, it is at Alagbon just beside the passport office. Tell them what you need, how you need it and when. Nigeria's not that terrible, they have a process for this on their site. In summary, contact any police office or officer, they'll eventually direct you.

CIDs are the HQs of criminal investigation cases so they have their records and can help with the paperwork. There could be no better source of authority than them to give you this security clearance.

When you ask how Nigerian companies do the check, does that relate to your request? For the company giving the offer, I suggest you confirm from them how they want it to be sent. Specifically the department to be addressed, name of the addressee, postal code etc. I trust the Police to courier it directly.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adlib007(f): 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2018
Wow. This is serious. Thanks for the heads up

I just discovered one Kodak studio close my office here in Lagos. I shall be making a trip down there soon.

kissoflife:
All of you guys saying studio 24.

I used that same studio 24 and was told to send new ones here, now my PR card is delayed as well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adlib007(f): 1:23pm On Jun 27, 2018
Thanks for the tip!

MrsBee:

Wherever you decide to use, just make sure you take a ruler to measure the photos and ensure they meet the specifications. We used Studio 24 and I took a ruler along. They had to reprint 5 sets of photos because it kept coming out wrong. We didn’t get any request for new photos, so it worked.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 1:39pm On Jun 27, 2018
naijaman3:

Please stop this unnecessary argument. PR holders do not have right of entry to Canada but they will hardly be denied entry. Even the division 3 of the immigration and refugee protection act that you quoted specifically mentioned the right of entry for citizens and Indians – 19 (1) but no right of entry was mentioned for PR – 19 (2).

19 (1) Every Canadian citizen within the meaning of the Citizenship Act and every person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act has the right to enter and remain in Canada in accordance with this Act, and an officer shall allow the person to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that the person is a citizen or registered Indian.

19 (2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

Nice that you both reached a conclusion on the discussion. I had posted this in the past and may not get into much legalese. Let everyone learn from the story.
4712A6:
Seeing you guys argue on this right or wrong of a PR. I read this story last week and it should serve as a guide to anyone:

'Lesson learned' says permanent resident who had to walk into Canada

A Canadian permanent resident learned a hard lesson that when travelling between the United States and Canada, there is no room for error.

David Thomas, of Nova Scotia, has a British passport and has been a Canadian permanent resident for 45 years. He and his spouse, Livia Anthes, booked a flight to Las Vegas Feb. 3 to celebrate Thomas's 50th birthday. Anthes is also a permanent resident with a valid card.

The problem was Thomas's permanent residency card expired in December. He applied for new documentation and tried to get an expedited card in time but couldn't. He and Anthes decided to travel anyway.

"David and I of course probably could have been a little bit more stringent to get official information to see if he would be allowed over the border and we certainly take responsibility for that," Anthes told the CBC's Maritime Noon.

"But we thought, 'They'll give you a little bit of leniency.' He's been living here his entire life for 45 years, no criminal record, nothing of that sort."

Had to walk into Canada
Getting to Las Vegas was not a problem. However when the couple tried to return home Feb. 6, Thomas was told there was no way he was getting on the Air Canada cross-border flight.

"They just kind of flat out refused. Said, 'Nope, we can't let you on the plane. The only way you're going to get into Canada is if you drive across or walk across,'" said Thomas.

"I really thought they were kind of pulling my leg at first. I had a bag full of documentation there ready to dump on the table."

He had a copy of his permanent residency application, his expired permanent resident card, two years worth of income tax documents, his driver's licence and his British passport.

"I wasn't anticipating walking into the country," he said.

But that is what Thomas had to do.

Rules are clear, says Air Canada
In an emailed statement, Air Canada said it "cannot accept transport passengers if their cards are not valid, which would be the case of an expired card."

The airline said the directive from the Canada Border Services Agency is very clear.

"We outreached to the CBSA who reconfirmed and provided us clear instructions not to accept travellers with expired permanent resident cards, even with a document indicating that have asked for the renewal of their status, because the person may not have a permanent resident status anymore," said Isabelle Arthur, an Air Canada spokesperson.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada echoed that statement.

The long trip home
The next morning Thomas flew from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, then on to Chicago before finally reaching Buffalo, N.Y., at around 10 p.m.

From the Buffalo airport he was able to take transit to the centre of the city. From there, he caught another bus that took him to the crossing at Niagara Falls.

"There I was dropped off on the bus in what felt like the middle of nowhere at 1:30 or 2 o'clock in the morning," said Thomas.

Then he walked across the bridge into Canada.

"I put my passport there, explained to him [Canadian border agent] a bit of the story and he just kind of waved me through — looked at me a little oddly and let me go through," said Thomas.

After being on the go for well over 24 hours, Thomas then haggled with a cab driver to take him to Toronto Pearson International Airport, 120 kilometres away, for $130.

'Lesson learned, I guess'
He was then finally able to catch a flight back to Nova Scotia.

"Lesson learned, I guess," said Thomas.

Anthes said the couple's experience should serve as a warning to other travellers.

"I think the moral is to do your homework, as much as you can, and don't take for granted what you believe your rights or your abilities are because they're really cracking down on travel regulations and policies now," said Anthes.

Seven days before travel, Thomas could have applied for a permanent resident travel document however Anthes said by the time they realized that was an option, it was too late.

Maritime Noon asked Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada why it's OK to cross the border on foot without a valid permanent residency card but did not receive a response to that question.

From CBC news
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bunmibest: 2:30pm On Jun 27, 2018
Hello @hotD, turns out we can only cargo from Lagos. That was what i was told when i went to NAHCo in Abuja. All he best.

Bunmibest:
Hello, I called NAHCO some days back and they said they can help. I was asked to come to Cargo session at the Abuja airport. Will see if i can see them this week

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:01pm On Jun 27, 2018
Hello everyone. It has been forever. Happy to see the thread is moving along. Congrats to all newly landed PRs and those with imminent landing. Welcome to Newmum! I don dey wait you for here since.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 6:20pm On Jun 27, 2018
vcole:
Hello everyone. It has been forever. Happy to see the thread is moving along. Congrats to all newly landed PRs and those with imminent landing. Welcome to Newmum! I don dey wait you for here since.

Heeeey, nice to see you here again cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 6:24pm On Jun 27, 2018
grin grin grin
vcole:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 1:14am On Jun 28, 2018
vcole:

longest time vcole
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 7:34am On Jun 28, 2018
[quote author=Fortissimo502 post=68811935][/quote]
Mississauga grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 8:41am On Jun 28, 2018
Newmum0615:
Well, thanks. Lol. Not yet sha. I am approaching the 6 months mark very soon. I'm getting ready dazall.

lol mehn LVO humble me sha.. i don even dey count from last GCMS now so as to help me relax my mind.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 9:30am On Jun 28, 2018
Your own application delay weak me sha. What is even wrong with London office?
einsteino:

lol mehn LVO humble me sha.. i don even dey count from last GCMS now so as to help me relax my mind.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olufemi99(f): 12:23pm On Jun 28, 2018
plz guys how to I extend my stay at Canada after d end of d seminar...bcoz I won't like running around for renewal after three month and hence someone told me even if u are given a week visa to Canada, it is more or less like residence visa
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 12:34pm On Jun 28, 2018
Seniors,

Please help with this quick one.

Where gives the best exchange rate cash from CAD$ to USD. Will it be the banks or airport. Abeg help a brother minimize his losses.

Thank you in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 2:22pm On Jun 28, 2018
redocean:
Seniors,

Please help with this quick one.

Where gives the best exchange rate cash from CAD$ to USD. Will it be the banks or airport. Abeg help a brother minimize his losses.

Thank you in advance.

Foreign currency exchange BDCs in big malls always have far better rates than banks.

But the amount you are changing determines if it's worth the trip. Difference may be up to $0.06 which is big if you're changing thousands

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 2:53pm On Jun 28, 2018
tintedniggz:

Mississauga grin
Lol correct. How's brampton?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Judithomo: 3:00pm On Jun 28, 2018
Olufemi99:
plz guys how to I extend my stay at Canada after d end of d seminar...bcoz I won't like running around for renewal after three month and hence someone told me even if u are given a week visa to Canada, it is more or less like residence visa

Daddy or Mum please come back home and reapply, don't overstay.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 3:44pm On Jun 28, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Lol correct. How's brampton?
Brampton dey! The Indians dey accommodate us Lol. How is life?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 3:45pm On Jun 28, 2018
tintedniggz:

Brampton dey! The Indians dey accommodate us Lol. How is life?
Hahahaha dem plenty shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Life dey o.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 4:35pm On Jun 28, 2018
London Office is another 'Humbler of the son of Man' after IELTS
Newmum0615:
Your own application delay weak me sha. What is even wrong with London office?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 6:03pm On Jun 28, 2018
smslive2:
London Office is another 'Humbler of the son of Man' after IELTS

I hope things change in that office
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adebayogates(m): 7:02pm On Jun 28, 2018
Hello house,

I will still go through the pages with time but I wish to migrate to Canada. I have a degree in Information Security and also with good knowledge of Blockchain and cryptocurrency.

Also, I have academics IELTS result with a 7.5/9.

Dear nairalanders, kindly help with the process, cost and all possible tidbits to get to Canada and also, does this look feasible this year?

I just got turned down from a job cos I don't have work permit, the HR thought I was already a go but she advised I work towards coming around as it's easier to get a job while on ground than away in another country.

I seek your candid opinion and suggestions in this migrating thing.

Appreciate lots.

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.