Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. (48187 Views)

Ondo Gets 10 Bulldozers To Boost Cassava Production -Gov Akeredolu Shares PHOTOS / Estimated Cost Of Farming 1 Hectare Of Cassava / Best Cassava Production Plan To Help You Make Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by RealityShot: 6:51pm On Feb 20, 2017
nurey:

kolewerk
the cassava taps nutrients from the root zone so also the plantain, the compeition will be humongous
the cassava and plantain have very close harvesting period, the competition from day 1 to harvesting will cause stress. They both dont go together at the same time on the same land space. Maize with cassava is better
ok cool... Will try it still
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by nurey(m): 7:08pm On Feb 20, 2017
RealityShot:
ok cool... Will try it still

I am no doctor neither am I a professor. The experiment has been carried out under normal circumstances both crop would survive but the yield will be extremely low, if you decide to use fertilizer, well you may get a bit higher from lose.

Its like trying to prove you can use a table spoon to fill a pail of water, physical it's possible but logically it's impossible. Now the question is do you want to plant like a sane individual or the opposite?
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by RealityShot: 11:05pm On Feb 20, 2017
nurey:

I am no doctor neither am I a professor. The experiment has been carried out under normal circumstances both crop would survive but the yield will be extremely low, if you decide to use fertilizer, well you may get a bit higher from lose.

Its like trying to prove you can use a table spoon to fill a pail of water, physical it's possible but logically it's impossible. Now the question is do you want to plant like a sane individual or the opposite?
Lol... You should calm down and consider the fact
that spacing, and splitting are all options on same land

1 Like

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by bizzibodi(m): 9:53pm On Mar 10, 2017
nurey:

As I used to know, Maize can be interplanted with cassava as Maize is a nitrogen fixing plant because of nitrobacter that accumulates in the nodes of the root (have forgotten the agric term) it's something I have done before and believe it can be done but it now depends on the level of farming the individual intends to adopt. In mechanized farming, it's a no no (commercial form of agriculture) as there will be limits in the use of machines, chemicals and proper maintenance practise.
Maize a nitrogen fixing plant?Beans don suffer!

2 Likes

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by RealityShot: 5:43am On Mar 22, 2017
Secrets
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by pat077: 9:22am On Mar 22, 2017
Agrotrust:

you can intercrop cassava with maize but the yield of the cassava will not be as expected
what about that of maize, will the yield be okay?
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by pat077: 9:30am On Mar 22, 2017
nurey:

As I used to know, Maize can be interplanted with cassava as Maize is a nitrogen fixing plant because of nitrobacter that accumulates in the nodes of the root (have forgotten the agric term) it's something I have done before and believe it can be done but it now depends on the level of farming the individual intends to adopt. In mechanized farming, it's a no no (commercial form of agriculture) as there will be limits in the use of machines, chemicals and proper maintenance practise.
is it advisable to intercrop maize with cassava on 2 acres of land? I don't think they shld affect each other that much, since maize will be harvested in 3 months while cassava still has like extra six months before harvest.
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by nurey(m): 1:15pm On Mar 22, 2017
pat077:
is it advisable to intercrop maize with cassava on 2 acres of land? I don't think they shld affect each other that much, since maize will be harvested in 3 months while cassava still has like extra six months before harvest.

Yes you can, but advice able you make ridges
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by RealityShot: 8:44pm On Mar 22, 2017
nurey:

Yes you can, but advice able you make ridges
will the corn not be on the rigdes too?
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by nurey(m): 8:51pm On Mar 22, 2017
RealityShot:
will the corn not be on the rigdes too?
Yes it can. They will both coexist

1 Like

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by waka2: 9:47pm On Mar 22, 2017
agrotrust,do you have cassava tuber to sell?
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by Agrotrust: 2:58pm On Mar 27, 2017
waka2:
agrotrust,do you have cassava tuber to sell?

No sir
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by Agrotrust: 10:20am On Mar 28, 2017
cassava stem is available: TME 419, TMS 30572, Vitamin A cassava stem

agrotrust@gmail.com
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by shakol91(m): 4:48pm On Mar 28, 2017
Agrotrust:

agrotrust@gmail.com
This is our first time of investing in Agriculture,we planned to set up a mechanized farm this raining season (starting now). We're looking into inter-cropping maize with cassava on 30 hectares. Pls i need your experience on how to go about this process from the beginning. I'm available to give you every information for your advice. Sorry I have low ba3 now, will be back online later in d day
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by fullman(m): 8:50pm On Mar 28, 2017
Agrotrust:

agrotrust@gmail.com
My problem is the marketing...
Please any advise on how fast to market
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by gr8ofnnetwork(m): 3:53am On Mar 29, 2017
AGROTRUST, please can I have your WhatsApp contact. I need your professional guide on my cassava production and garri processing project I am aiming ASAP.
Thanks
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by Agrotrust: 7:38am On Mar 31, 2017
fullman:

My problem is the marketing...
Please any advise on how fast to market

Marketing of which product the cassava root or the finished product
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by Agrotrust: 7:39am On Mar 31, 2017
gr8ofnnetwork:
AGROTRUST, please can I have your WhatsApp contact. I need your professional guide on my cassava production and garri processing project I am aiming ASAP.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by TEMINIKANSOSO(m): 12:00pm On Mar 31, 2017
Agro post
pls can we see the picture of your farm to see how ur own works look like.
Cassava is really a hot cake now...
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by TokyoBulls(m): 4:39pm On Mar 31, 2017
Good stuff. We need to put caveat on these cassava posts so people understand each of us is speaking from our experiences and each farmer's experience is different. I am currently planting cassava and maize on 164 acres in Kobape on Abeokuta-Sagamu Express and will like to share my experience based on the topic being discussed. One, do not go into farming as a part-time, passive income investment. It is not possible to monitor, supervise, manage a farm on Skype or via an Excel sheet. You must be personally involved. Two, LISTEN. ASK QUESTIONS. BE HUMBLE. Do not take what you read online or in textbooks without cross checking them with on-the-farm reality. Most of the farmers in the village are deeply knowledgeable and will gladly and freely share decades of experience with you. Three, choose your battles and FOCUS. There will be many attractions and distractions. People will bring suggestions. You cannot do all. Pick some of their ideas and drop others. You will use them later.

Now to specific questions. I will not advise a farmer cross-plants cassava and plantains for three reasons: Spacing - Both cassava and plantain stretch their stems and leaves and need fresh air. Land utilization: The farmer will be required to make ridges that are at a good distance apart hence leaving gaps on the land. Yield: In case the first two are not looked at very cautiously, yield for both plants will be poor.

Concerning profitability, the main gaps I see with farmers are knowledge and patience. Most farmers plant the wrong variety vs their desire. Some want to sell to companies, others want to sell to fufu/start local buyers. Some want to sell to big companies that process them into flakes, chips, start, syrup etc. Others want to process to garri and sell as finished product. Each farmer must choose the variety they need to plant. Second is patience. The farmer needs to know the number of months it takes for the cassava to mature. I have seen farmers harvest cassava that should last for 18 months in their 7th month hence the yield is good but way below expectations. The tubers are there, sometimes as many as 10 to 15 but are not big enough so this affects the revenue. We need patience.

Cassava is a defence crop for the farmer. Sometimes we get it all wrong and lose a lot of money on tomatoes, pepper, vegetables, etc but it is not common to get it wrong with cassava. Natural rain is sufficient. Cassava diseases are not as common as before as we now have resistant stems etc.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by TokyoBulls(m): 4:48pm On Mar 31, 2017
Commendable. God will help you and the yield will be beyond your expectations. You can share your experiences and how you progress here. We are all here to learn and make our businesses better and more profitable
shakol91:
This is our first time of investing in Agriculture,we planned to set up a mechanized farm this raining season (starting now). We're looking into inter-cropping maize with cassava on 30 hectares. Pls i need your experience on how to go about this process from the beginning. I'm available to give you every information for your advice. Sorry I have low ba3 now, will be back online later in d day
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by frankdudus(m): 7:31am On Apr 01, 2017
Good day Sir, i have always been on this section of nairaland to read various comments. Am a student and will be rounding up my Bsc program this month.. i have passion and desire to go into plantain and cassava farming, i have gathered pretty knowledge about this two farming both on nairaland and other forums. i want to have a real life experience about them at least to know what am diving into.. i like working with my hands... i want to learn from experience and see things myself, i need ur contact Sir. Thanks

TokyoBulls:
Good stuff. We need to put caveat on these cassava posts so people understand each of us is speaking from our experiences and each farmer's experience is different. I am currently planting cassava and maize on 164 acres in Kobape on Abeokuta-Sagamu Express and will like to share my experience based on the topic being discussed. One, do not go into farming as a part-time, passive income investment. It is not possible to monitor, supervise, manage a farm on Skype or via an Excel sheet. You must be personally involved. Two, LISTEN. ASK QUESTIONS. BE HUMBLE. Do not take what you read online or in textbooks without cross checking them with on-the-farm reality. Most of the farmers in the village are deeply knowledgeable and will gladly and freely share decades of experience with you. Three, choose your battles and FOCUS. There will be many attractions and distractions. People will bring suggestions. You cannot do all. Pick some of their ideas and drop others. You will use them later.

Now to specific questions. I will not advise a farmer cross-plants cassava and plantains for three reasons: Spacing - Both cassava and plantain stretch their stems and leaves and need fresh air. Land utilization: The farmer will be required to make ridges that are at a good distance apart hence leaving gaps on the land. Yield: In case the first two are not looked at very cautiously, yield for both plants will be poor.

Concerning profitability, the main gaps I see with farmers are knowledge and patience. Most farmers plant the wrong variety vs their desire. Some want to sell to companies, others want to sell to fufu/start local buyers. Some want to sell to big companies that process them into flakes, chips, start, syrup etc. Others want to process to garri and sell as finished product. Each farmer must choose the variety they need to plant. Second is patience. The farmer needs to know the number of months it takes for the cassava to mature. I have seen farmers harvest cassava that should last for 18 months in their 7th month hence the yield is good but way below expectations. The tubers are there, sometimes as many as 10 to 15 but are not big enough so this affects the revenue. We need patience.

Cassava is a defence crop for the farmer. Sometimes we get it all wrong and lose a lot of money on tomatoes, pepper, vegetables, etc but it is not common to get it wrong with cassava. Natural rain is sufficient. Cassava diseases are not as common as before as we now have resistant stems etc.
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by OluchiDelly: 9:32pm On Apr 01, 2017
Agrotrust:

in one hectare u have 2.5 acre and one hectare requires 60 bundle 60/2.5=24 bundles
How many stems are there in a bundle?
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by gr8ofnnetwork(m): 7:47am On Apr 02, 2017
Agrotrust:

Thanks sir
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by TokyoBulls(m): 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2017
What do you propose to have this real life experience? You can work as an intern with a farmer (and get paid a token) or take practical trainings with farmers and pay them a fee. As much as possible, make sure you work on the farm and see how it really works. Most of the farmers I see on Nairaland do not own farms and experience has shown there's a major difference between what we think farming is and what it actually is.
frankdudus:
Good day Sir, i have always been on this section of nairaland to read various comments. Am a student and will be rounding up my Bsc program this month.. i have passion and desire to go into plantain and cassava farming, i have gathered pretty knowledge about this two farming both on nairaland and other forums. i want to have a real life experience about them at least to know what am diving into.. i like working with my hands... i want to learn from experience and see things myself, i need ur contact Sir. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by TokyoBulls(m): 12:43pm On Apr 02, 2017
50 stems of 1m each
OluchiDelly:

How many stems are there in a bundle?
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by nawtikid(m): 10:40pm On Apr 02, 2017
Agrotrust:

agrotrust@gmail.com
where is ur location plz
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by Agrotrust: 3:38pm On Apr 10, 2017
nawtikid:
where is ur location plz

Ibadan Oyo state
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by georgebruno(m): 7:38pm On May 14, 2017
TokyoBulls:

Very insightful. Please how do I contact you?
Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by jephito(m): 11:22am On May 15, 2017
TokyoBulls:

A round of applause for you sir! I wish I can concisely write as you have done. But let me attempt.

I made 110% ROI from the cassava farm I cultivated last year and sold this year (March/April) and last year I made 48% ROI. I planted the same stem though the farm are in different location.
So what changed? A lot of factors are responsible.

1 Like

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by jephito(m): 11:41am On May 15, 2017
jephito:

A round of applause for you sir! I wish I can concisely write as you have done. But let me attempt.

I made 110% ROI from the cassava farm I cultivated last year and sold this year (March/April) and last year I made 48% ROI. I planted the same stem though the farm are in different location.
So what changed? A lot of factors are responsible.
1. Soil fertility: One farm was on a virgin land the other wasn .
2. Proximity/distance: Cost of transportation to this two farms is not the same.
3. Management: the two farms got adequate care and attention
4. Different selling price: My cassava tubers are usually sold to local women who processes to garri and fufu. We don't have any standard measurements. As at last year when I sold tubers, 40 tubers = 400 but this year, we sold at 20 - 25 tubers =400.

1 Like

Re: Cost Implication For The Cultivativation Of 1 Hectare Of Cassava Production. by TokyoBulls(m): 5:35am On May 16, 2017
Direct messages are open
georgebruno:

Very insightful. Please how do I contact you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! / Sack Farming From Start / How Many Bags Of Feed Do U Need To Raise 300 Broiler To 7 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.