Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,755 members, 7,862,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:35 PM

A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D (5281 Views)

Pregnant Women Craving For Weird Things / Please Help My Husband Does This Weird Stuff / Is It Okay For My Mum To Send Money And Food To My Married Sister ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by bellong: 8:09am On Feb 23, 2017
Ishilove:

Well my dear, I will be very honest with you, I have never attended a wedding from my side. When my kin folks are wedding I and my sibs don't attend. Well, except for my brother and that's because he's the heir apparent so he has to know his extended family grin

From what I hear there's always plenty to drink cheesy

Only drink? No plenty to eat. I hope it is not ogogoro... cheesy

Since you don't know how it is done at your end of town, how will yours be? Will there be plenty to eat especially "orisirisi"?
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by anonimi: 8:21am On Feb 23, 2017
Ishilove:
That's why they are called the 'owambe ethnic group' cheesy

......and being threatened by the invariably more industrious, less extravagant Igbos to the extent of taking over Lagos state.
The Omo Oniles have sold land to them and have used the money for owambe rather than send their children to school and invest in better business of farming, factories marketing etc.
Later, one useless oba will be threatening to send people to the lagoon when he is also a refugee in London. shocked undecided

[img]http://3.bp..com/-IB3DRGrkDYM/Vf1rTF5DNAI/AAAAAAAAekU/AflKdNwwSUw/s1600/oba_akinolu.JPG[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GSSOMC0rV0

[img]http://topetempler.files./2013/09/brt.jpg?w=474[/img]

1 Like

Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Ishilove: 8:59am On Feb 23, 2017
bellong:

Only drink? No plenty to eat. I hope it is not ogogoro... cheesy

Since you don't know how it is done at your end of town, how will yours be? Will there be plenty to eat especially "orisirisi"?
Ogogoro at a wedding?? Haba mana cheesy

I don't know how mine will be o, but i sha know it will be small and quiet with enough for everyone!! Before then I will hire a researcher cheesy
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by bellong: 9:02am On Feb 23, 2017
Ishilove:

Ogogoro at a wedding?? Haba mana cheesy

I don't know how mine will be o, but i sha know it will be small and quiet with enough for everyone!! Before then I will hire a researcher cheesy

1. No be South-South? embarassed

2. You can hire me..
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Ishilove: 9:04am On Feb 23, 2017
anonimi:

......and being threatened by the invariably more industrious, less extravagant Igbos to the extent of taking over Lagos state.
The Omo Oniles have sold land to them and have used the money for owambe rather than send their children to school and invest in better business of farming, factories marketing etc.
Later, one useless oba will be threatening to send people to the lagoon when he is also a refugee in London. shocked undecided
Well, I think the bolded only happens among the unenlightened lower class

1 Like

Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Ishilove: 9:05am On Feb 23, 2017
bellong:

1. No be South-South? embarassed

2. You can hire me..
1. Yes, but closer to the east than south

2. What are your credentials? grin
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by bellong: 9:08am On Feb 23, 2017
Ishilove:

1. Yes, but closer to the east than south

2. What are your credentials? grin

1. Delta..

2. Every glamorous wedding in town was organised by me cheesy First we must know the groom to tailor your package... smiley
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Ishilove: 9:17am On Feb 23, 2017
bellong:

1. Delta..

2. Every glamorous wedding in town was organised by me cheesy First we must know the groom to tailor your package... smiley
1. You sabi book o cheesy

2. The groom... HungerBad, show!!! cheesy
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by bellong: 9:30am On Feb 23, 2017
Ishilove:

1. You sabi book o cheesy

2. The groom... HungerBad, show!!! cheesy

1. Yes, I am a genius... tongue

2. You sure say hunger no go catch your guests as the groom is hunger himself... cheesy
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Ishilove: 9:34am On Feb 23, 2017
bellong:

1. Yes, I am a genius... tongue

2. You sure say hunger no go catch your guests as the groom is hunger himself... cheesy
1. You try

2. Hunger and Ishilove's wedding guests are diametric opposites. They should never be used in the same sentence cool
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by bellong: 9:40am On Feb 23, 2017
Ishilove:

1. You try

2. Hunger and Ishilove's wedding guests are diametric opposites. They should never be used in the same sentence cool

Can someone pass me a Webster? tongue
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Ishilove: 9:44am On Feb 23, 2017
bellong:

Can someone pass me a Webster? tongue
Dia you are
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Rockyrascal(m): 3:54pm On Feb 23, 2017
LarrySun:
Lol! I feel for the guy. I had a similar experience when I attended one Igbo naming ceremony. Wait, what am I talking about? It's a worse experience! Not similar in the least!

I had just moved down to Ikorodu from Sango August last year. I was alone quietly at work when my old secondary school friend, Ibrahim, called me (only God knows how he got my number) and told me that Chimezie, our landlord's fourth son would be having the naming ceremony of his first child the following day. The silly Ibrahim sugar-coated everything, saying Chimezie was now very wealthy and the ceremony would be the talk of the town for two big cows had already been killed and more cows had boarded a bus from abattoir. I was so excited. My excitement trebled when Ndubuisi, the immediate elder brother of the new father, asked me which kind of 'olosho' should be kept for me.

I was breathing hard as I pictured the adventure I would have. For the first time in my life, I would be serviced by call-g*rls. I screamed at the top of my voice that two ladies with big endowments should be reserved for me. I was already seeing myself in paradise as I imagined a hot party that awaited me.

The next day, I took a false leave from work and jumped in the next available bus leaving Ikorodu for Oshodi; and from Oshodi, I took another one to Ijaye, my old area. I was so excited. I wished I could just fly. I eventually arrived at the venue at around 4pm. The first thing that caught me as strange was the fact that I saw just two canopies. Two canopies! I had thought the whole street would be filled with tents, considering the wealth of someone who had just returned from Dubai for his child's naming ceremony. The guests were not more than sixty or sixty-one. Fear gripped my heart. I searched around for any evidence of cows, there was nothing like that. I almost searched the toilets, but something told me they would not keep cows in the toilets. What if the guests wanted to take a leak?

I was overcome with fear. I decided to seek out the idiot who called me and fed me different stories. I was sure he would explain better what was going on. I found him under a plantain tree smoking weed and drinking something that had been mixed with Codeine or Gamalin 20, I don't know. Ibrahim was as stoned as the biblical Stephen. He was not in the right state of mind to tell me what had happened to the cows. Hell, I gave up on him when he started calling me Adekunle Gold.

I decided that the next course of action was to find Chimezie and his brother. I eventually saw the brother. He was so excited to see me. He hugged me tight, introduced me to his friends, then he proceeded to tax me. What the hell? I was hearing 'at all at all na him bad'. He was urging me to drop something for the boys. The 'boys' he was referring to were men in their late forties. I had to drop about a thousand naira before the 'boys' released me. They were ready to beat the country's recession out of me.

I managed to take Ndubuisi aside and asked him about the two 'oloshos' he had reserved for me. He looked at me for what seemed like eternity, as if I had asked the world's most ridiculous question. Then he started preaching to me to give my life to Christ. Yes, Ndubuisi, Ndubuisi of all people, told me to give my life to Christ. For a moment, I wondered if one witch from my mother's village had carved out an effigy of me and was now defecating on it. What had I dragged myself into?

I decided to go and seat among the rest of the frustrated guests, hoping that we would be served. We were served quite alright...with toothpicks. I collected my own stick of toothpick with the expectation that food would be arriving soon. It didn't take long before the 'menu-menu' arrived, just four hours' time. I couldn’t even find my toothpick anymore, and while the other guests were being served some miserable plates of rice whose meat had to be seen with the aid of a microscope, one evil spirit was causing the servers to serve everyone around me minus me. One even had the guts to give me a plate of food to pass to the person sitting behind me. I wanted to keep the food for myself but on seeing the angry face of the gentlehulk behind me, I calmly performed my civic duty. I had no choice but to be my brother's keeper.

I was still waiting for my food about an hour later when everyone had left and the plates were washed. I admit, I shed tears. As I went back to Ikorodu that night, I made a vow that I would revenge. The baby was a girl. I vowed that in the next twenty years when the girl would be getting married, I would attend and reveal to everyone how I had been maltreated during the bride's naming ceremony.

Obviously, revenge isn't a virtue, because two days after that event, I was robbed of my phone and money in Oshodi.
what you experienced that day is far worst than the OP's; sorry if I may ask,are u In anyway a participant of the #UnionBank100Bellanaija contest?
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Jammiiee(m): 12:01am On Feb 24, 2017
Agbor?
Ishilove:

The south-southern part of Nigerian
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Jammiiee(m): 12:03am On Feb 24, 2017
Hmm, so you have a blue blood running in you?
Ishilove:

Well my dear, I will be very honest with you, I have never attended a wedding from my side. When my kin folks are wedding I and my sibs don't attend. Well, except for my brother and that's because he's the [b]heir apparent [/b]so he has to know his extended family grin

Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Jammiiee(m): 12:03am On Feb 24, 2017
Ishilove:

Well my dear, I will be very honest with you, I have never attended a wedding from my side. When my kin folks are wedding I and my sibs don't attend. Well, except for my brother and that's because he's the heir apparent so he has to know his extended family grin

Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Ishilove: 12:03am On Feb 24, 2017
Jammiiee:
Nope, purple cheesy
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Jammiiee(m): 12:06am On Feb 24, 2017
cheesy. Quite zany... actually u look like that tho...
Ishilove:

Nope, purple cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by LarrySun(m): 7:19am On Feb 24, 2017
Rockyrascal:
what you experienced that day is far worst than the OP's; sorry if I may ask,are u In anyway a participant of the #UnionBank100Bellanaija contest?
No, I'm not. I don't know what that is.
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Rockyrascal(m): 7:55am On Feb 24, 2017
LarrySun:
No, I'm not. I don't know what that is.
it is an online contest which was possible through union bank's initiative, its all about who puts up the best write ups or narrative stories like this;contestants write ups are appraised and evaluated,and the best writer is awarded a cash sum of a 100 thousand naira.
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Agili: 11:11am On Feb 24, 2017
Guys, its just a problem of poor organisation. Thats all.
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by LarrySun(m): 11:15am On Feb 24, 2017
Rockyrascal:
it is an online contest which was possible through union bank's initiative, its all about who puts up the best write ups or narrative stories like this;contestants write ups are appraised and evaluated,and the best writer is awarded a cash sum of a 100 thousand naira.
Wow! Link, please!
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by Rockyrascal(m): 12:34pm On Feb 24, 2017
LarrySun:
Wow! Link, please!
just log in to union bank website or bella naija,am not a participant
Re: A Weird Igbo Wedding Experience...and Food Brouhaha :D by LarrySun(m): 1:21pm On Feb 24, 2017
Rockyrascal:
just log in to union bank website or bella naija,am not a participant
Okay. Thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fathers-daughters Bond / How Do You Cope With Abroad Husband? / Places Where You Can Find A Serious Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.